Heartbroken

Alone

You woke up hearing the faint sound of humming, eyes still blurred but mind active as ever. A smile crept onto your face from the familiarity of the whistle notes you heard coming from downstairs. The notes undeniably belonged to your boyfriend, Suho.

You jumped off of bed, excited from the thought that this was another opportunity to try to scare him. After returning from freshening up, you cautiously crept around the corner, pausing for a moment to take in the scene.

You snuck glances at Suho whose back was turned away. He was cooking omelets, cracking exactly two eggs.

Suddenly, his humming stopped and you became paranoid thinking that the sensed you behind the wall.

You didn't utter a single word and tried to control your breathing, afraid he would discover you.

Taking one last, quick breath before showing yourself to him, you peeked from the corner after two seconds of waiting but became confused at the sight of no one standing  there.

It seemed as if Suho found you first when you immediately felt a pair of hands caress your waist. His hands felt dominant but gentle at the same time. He always sent butterflies into your stomach whenever he did small gestures like this.

Your cheeks turned slightly pink and you refused to look at him. "Aishhh, why do you always have to do this to me? Let me scare you at least once!"

Suho's face was buried into the crook of your neck. You could definitely feel his breath as he chuckled and said, "y/n I know how much you actually love this, I always knew it."

With that, your face became completely red and you stuttered, "W-WHAT DO YOU MEAN?? G-GET YOUR HANDS OFF O- SUHO THE EGGS ARE BURNING!"

Suho quickly removed his hands from your waist and merrily skipped to the stove while singing, "My y/n turns so red, kyeopta!"

You sat at the table, admiring Suho's every feature. He was perfect to you in all aspects, but he still had flaws just like any other person.  From the way he expertly flipped the pan so the omelet wouldn't be ruined to how he brushed back his fringes to look at you every so often, giving you that loving smirk of his that you always adored made you fall even more in love with him.

You stared at him, as if you were in a daydream, forgetting all the problems you have even for just a moment. He had that kind of effect on people.

As he finished making his own omelet, he grabbed the two plates and started placing them down on the table and started conversing with you.  "Omo, I didn't know you liked to watch me cook. You should do it more often, I wouldn't mind," he snickered.

He placed your omelet on the plate and you quietly grabbed your fork and took a bite of the omelet without uttering a single word.

With food in your mouth, you muttered, "Jerk" while rolling your eyes.

In a matter of a few minutes of silence, Suho changed the topic to a rather serious one and looked deep into your eyes.

"y/n, I have a challenge for you."

Of course you couldn't resist any challenge Suho gave you and unwittingly accepted it without further ado.

"Yes of course Suho, I'll win anyways," you laughed.

His face lightened up and he said, "Perfect! The prize is wonderful too." He added a wink.

Then you proceeded to ask him about the challenge itself: what is was, when it was, and the "prize".

He gave you the simplest of replies, "No contact with me for a whole day. You can't call me or text, you can't see me, visit me, or video chat with me. There is absolutely no contact for one whole day. Let's make the challenge today? The prize is, of course, I will absolutely love you forever. I promise to love you endlessly."

You squinted your eyes at him, unsure of the bluntness in what he just said and how weird the prize was. It was as if  he wasn't going to love you forever if you didn't win. You became suspicious and further questioned, "Today?? Why today? Why not tomorrow or something? I just wanted to spend some time with you today."

Suho claimed it was a perfect day to do it since he had some errands to run anyway and he had to drop by the company to discuss some future events with their manager.

Realizing you wouldn't be able to spend the day with him anyway, you agreed to his terms and made up an excuse that you had to stop by a friend's house anyway to pick up some clothes you left the other day.

So you guys agreed to start the challenge right after breakfast. You extended a pinky a said with a pout, "Remember your prize, if I win, you'll definitely stay as mine forever got it? I'm not letting you break up with me. Promise."

He gave his pinky and intertwined it with yours. He kissed your cheek and whispered into your ear, "I know you're competitive and I've always loved that about you y/n. Don't worry, I'll keep to my promise. Please win this if you can."

With that, Suho waved to you and added his infamous wink. All that was left was you standing in the doorway, now standing in an empty house left to wonder what you were going to do until tomorrow morning when you will finally be able to hug your cheeky boyfriend and say, "Yay, now my pabo HAS to love me forever." You couldn't wait to say those words and rub it into his face but you pondered at his last words, "Please win this if you can." They sounded strange and mysterious. You couldn't figure out why but decided to shrug it off. Now, you had to figure out what to do with the time.

You decided to do what you said you were going to do and visit your friend's house.

You stopped by a bubble tea shop and brought it over to share while explaining the challenge Suho gave you along with the reward.

She checked her phone and gasped at the time. She seemed to be in a rush when she finally said that she was meeting up with Luhan in an hour.

Now you had two options: to go back to a Suho-less house or third wheel with your friend and Luhan. You frowned at both of the choices but brushed it off for the sake of winning the challenge.

You clenched your fist and whispered Fighting~ to yourself.

 So you ended up following the both of them around the amusement park for God knows how long. It was relentlessly and excruciatingly boring. It had been about five hours at this point but the boredom remained on your face and showed through your actions.

You finally spoke up and said, "Umm, I'm not that much into roller coasters so, you guys go. I'll catch up later, okay?"

Unable to  handle the immense amount of monotony, it was then that you spotted D.O.

Perfect, was the word that popped up into your mind. You were mindlessly uninterested and hoped for someone to show up. Ecstatic by the luck that it was D.O., one of your closest friends in EXO, he managed to see you and waved. As he got closer he said, "Oh, you're all alone?"

"Yeah, I have this bet going on with Suho and I can't have any contact with him for a whole day. Wanna get something to eat? I've been so bored staying here all day," you pleaded.

D.O. smiled and said "Sure, I haven't eaten yet either. I've been craving burgers and I've heard about a really good place. Wanna go and try that?"

You agreed and soon, the both of you set off to find the burger joint. During the car ride, he sang passionately along with the song while making funny faces and pointing at you. He always managed to brighten your mood and it definitely took your mind off of missing Suho.

After filling yourselves up with burgers and fries, night came, which meant it was time for you to be alone in a motionless house.

While walking to the front door, you joked, "You don't know the definition of feeling like a third wheel until you've hung out with them. Experience D.O. I know more than anyone, they're just too much sometimes."

You two laughed in front of your house as D.O. continued to joke around with you. After about ten minutes, you decided it was time to go in and you thanked D.O. for the amazing day, "Thank you so much Kyungsoo. We still need to catch up. Let's hang out again soon!"

D.O waved while saying goodnight as you smiled while waving back. You opened the door to the house that you and Suho shared.

Empty

It was the best way to describe it.

What were you expecting? you thought to yourself. Did you really expect Suho to be sitting on the couch with his amazing God-like smile always greeting you with the same greeting every time you got home, "y/n, I've been so lonely waiting for you to come home."?

You couldn't believe this bet at this point. There were so many times you thought about calling him, or texting a simple "I miss you." But your determination rose and you stuck to the challenge. As much of a challenge-lover you were, this bet amazed even yourself.

You got dressed and ready for bed. After, you fished the fridge for something to eat hoping that a late-night snack would help in somewhat keeping your mind off of the long night that was to come. You noticed a piece of Suho's leftover omelet but decided not to touch it, thinking he might want it later.

After grabbing a snack, you plopped on the couch and decided to watch a couple episodes of a drama to pass the rest of the night until you drifted off to sleep.

You woke up to the sound of crying and immediately got up when you noticed it was just the TV. You looked at the clock which read 10:00 AM. The TV was left on throughout the night and you turned it off while checking your phone.

You received quite a few text messages from D.O. and had 3 missed calls from him. You opened one of the text messages and it read, "y/n this is an emergency. Please come to this address wearing black. It's a formal event."

You became immediately puzzled. You wondered what kind of event could be held at 10 in the morning wearing black. Baffled by his sudden announcement of pure insanity you said to yourself, "What in the world could've happened to D.O. to make me come out so early in the morning?"

You hurriedly got dressed and swiftly headed out to the address D.O. texted you. Once you got there you noticed a crowd of people. Tears immediately filled up your eyes.

Your once beautiful brown eyes were now coated with salty tears and uncontrollable sobs came from your mouth as you walked up to the coffin.

In it, laid your beautiful Suho, lifeless but dressed in the finest of clothes as if he were merely asleep. He looked angelic even, especially with his arms folded across his chest.

Your eyes brimmed with tears, your mind hazy, totally contradicting the state you were in during the morning.

The only word that kept running through your mind was 'why.' The words 'how' and 'when' soon followed after.

Now you were in a state of panic and mourn staring at Suho. Various questions and statements ran through your mind, unable to comprehend what you were witnessing.

"Why did Suho leave me and make me do a challenge as stupid as that the day before?"

"Did he know?"

"Of course he knew."

"We could have spent the whole day together."

"But we didn't."

"What was he thinking?"

"Why didn't he tell me?"

You were frustrated yet miserable, confused but heartbroken. Unable to piece your mind together, your emotions pent up and mixed into one big sob.

D.O. looked at you with saddening eyes, his glistened as well. D.O. explained how the doctor called the member's dorm early in the morning notifying them of Suho's heart problems and how he'd been having daily checkups secretly. Suho knew that he would have a heart attack in a matter of time and as the pain progressed, it was evident when a dangerous attack would arise. So the doctor predicted when it would happen and Suho was already prepared for the worst.

 You always knew that Suho had problems with his heart but since you trusted Suho with taking care of himself, he always returned from a daily checkup, reassuring you that his condition was good and that the problems were minor. Thinking you had been fooled into believing his words, the feeling of regret washed over you as you continued to weep.

D.O. handed you a note, his head bowed, and his hand shaking, "It's written for you but none of us have opened it."

Your hands trembled as it held the little envelope that had the words 'To: My love' and your breathing rose. You wiped away your tears as you read the little paper note. It was even written on his cute little stationary that you bought him for his birthday last year.

You tried to control your sobs by placing a hand over your mouth as you read the note.

"Congratulations baby! You did it, you did it for one whole day. Now, can you do it every day? I love you."

With that, you physically felt your heart ache of immense pain. Your head began to hurt but not as much as your heart did. Reading the last words Suho left you with, you realized there would never be another time you would hear his voice again or see his contagious grin.

Now the only word that repeated in your mind, over and over, endless and countless of times, was the word you managed to call him every day, but couldn't yesterday due to the challenge.

You looked into the coffin, placed your hands onto his unresponsive ones, and with a heavy heart managed to utter, "Suho, you pabo."

Your world was now shattered, and you were rendered unable to predict whether you could pick up the pieces by yourself and save what was left of it.

Remnants of what was left transpired into a liquid crystal that fell from your dull, chocolate brown eye.