No, Thanks To You

Love You To Death

Taeyeon tore her eyes away from the laptop screen; they were strained from her non-stop working hours since this early dawn. It’s already 2 o’clock in the evening as she took a glance at the wall clock.

Pulling her pair of glasses off, Taeyeon proceeded to lean her head against the chair before closing her eyes for a while. Not that she fell asleep but the sudden ringing of her phone made her jerked a bit. She grunted.

She reached for the gold version of her iPhone 5s just to have her eyes widen in surprised; or rather shocked. It has been 3 months since that name popped on her phone’s screen. Taeyeon hesitated whether to deny the call or just to answer it. She chose the latter.

The line was quiet for a few seconds before Taeyeon heard a familiar but not so-familiar-anymore voice through the ear piece.

“Hello?” Taeyeon her lips, stunned.

“Hello?” She finally found her voice answering.

“Um hey, am I disturbing?” Taeyeon could sense the hesitance in the voice.

Yes, you are. Taeyeon wanted to answer in such manner but her involuntary thought beats her. “No, of course you are not.”

“G- great.” Both of them fell into silence.

“So, why? I mean is there anything I could do for you?” Taeyeon mentally frustrated at own her question.

“It’s been awhile,” Taeyeon heard she said and paused for what she assumed as a sign of nervousness, “how’d you doing?” It left Taeyeon’s jaw dropped a bit.

“I’m fine. Yeah, I think I’m doing just fine.” Taeyeon’s voice almost sounded as egoistic as ever. Wow, she could pass as an actress.

Taeyeon then heard she chuckled bitterly on the end of the line. “What am I thinking? Of course you’re doing fine.”

Taeyeon just kept mum, unsure as what to respond. “Tae,” she heard the girl sighed, “can we meet?” It sounded almost like whispering that Taeyeon had to restrain her hearing to catch it.

Her finger rapped against the wood of her study table as if searching for the right answer. Taeyeon inhaled an amount of air and with a closed eyes she said, “Sure.”

 

---

 

Being the gentle person she was, Taeyeon offered to pick the other girl up at her apartment. She kept a poker face as she leaned against her car hood, heart thumping like crazy. They haven’t met each other for quite some time that Taeyeon almost forgot how to act around her.

“Hey.” Taeyeon gulped upon hearing that voice. She looked over her shoulder to catch the sight of a smiling brunette, looking as nervous as her.

“Hi.” Taeyeon eyes wandered around but her. “Shall we go now?” She saw the brunette nodding softly from her peripheral vision.

Taeyeon opened the door to the front passenger seat, giving a way for the girl to enter the car. The girl mumbled a thank you to her that had Taeyeon smiling after closing the door for her. Taeyeon started to pull away into the street as the both of them fell into yet another silence. They agreed to have a casual dinner together at the diner they always frequented before.

“You looked pretty tonight.” Taeyeon finally broke the silence.

“Ah, thank you.” Taeyeon was unsure, but she saw the girl’s cheeks tinted in pink. “You are not bad yourself.” The girl looked out of the window.

They didn’t exchange any other words right after that. Taeyeon only kept her focus on the road while her companion stared out of the window; songs coming from her car speakers filled in the awkwardness.

After 15 minutes parading the busy road, they arrived at the said diner. A few of workers there looked pretty excited upon noticing the pair entering their small diner.

“Welcome back.” The waiter greeted them as he approached their table. Taeyeon just smiled awkwardly. “So, ready to order?”

He jotted down their orders, mainly of their regular ones. As he walked away, their nervousness around each other was showing once again.

“I didn’t know they remember about us.” The sudden statement had Taeyeon looked at her in surprise.

“It must be you. Who can ever forget about someone as pretty as you?” Taeyeon said with sincerity.

“Are you intending on making me blush for the whole night or what?” She directed her gaze somewhere else.

“But you really are pretty, Jess.” Taeyeon didn’t know where she gained the courage to say such thing.

“Thank you.” Jessica smiled shyly. “I’ll take that as a compliment but please stop.” Smirking, Taeyeon only nodded in understanding.

Their order reached their table not long after that. Food must be their greatest chemistry that they began to talk to each other freely upon indulging themselves with the delights.

For the first time since the last 3 months, Taeyeon found herself smiling and laughing again.

 

---

 

[3 months earlier]

“Just leave me then.” She exhaled loudly.

“What?” The other’s eyes began to get teary. “Are you sure you want that?” She stared at the back of the raging figure. “Tae, answer me.” Her tones changed into a silent plead.

“We can’t keep on holding each other like this.” She raked her hair. “You’re not happy with me, Jess. I keep on hurting you.” Her temples hurt.

“You know that I only want you.” The first tears escaped her baby brown eyes.

“Maybe I’m not the one. I can’t change myself to what you want me to be.” Taeyeon choked on her tears, still keeping her back facing Jessica.

“Tae, just take your time.” Jessica’s voice sounded so hoarse.

“Jess, this is not healthy for you, for me.” She shook her head vigorously. “I’m sorry.” Taeyeon grabbed her leather jacket before storming off Jessica’s apartment.

“Tae…” Jessica fell against the couch armrest, crying for the rest of the night.

 

---

 

Taeyeon drove Jessica back to her apartment, a few series of laughter resonated inside the car; totally different from their previous journey. After a few minutes of driving, they finally pulled off in front of Jessica’s apartment.

Taeyeon stormed off to open the door for Jessica which the latter thanked with a genuine smile, eyes twinkling. Awkwardness befalls on them once again. Taeyeon only looked at the sky while Jessica played with her feet, staring on the pavement.

“So, thank you for the night.” Jessica said as Taeyeon shifted her gaze to her. “I mean, for everything. I didn’t expect for you to… you know see me again.” Jessica voice was shaken a little.

“No, thank you. I had a great time tonight. Too bad it ends too soon.” Taeyeon gazed into those brown orbs, feeling a tug in her chest.

“I guess I should get inside… now. Thank you again.” Jessica carved a small smile as she began to spin on her heels.

One step, two steps. Then, Jessica felt fingers were wrapped around her thin wrist; making her paused on her tracks. She was taken aback at the sudden gesture.

“Jess,” she heard Taeyeon called out. Jessica turned her back slowly and now facing a silent Taeyeon.

“Hm?” Jessica braced herself to reply.

“I,” Taeyeon her lips, “I’m sorry. I was a jerk. I don’t even know what I am thinking that time. I just blurted those out. I was just- just being my idiot self, short-tempered and such. I swear to God, life was a mess right after that. And I also swear to God that I have change, no more selfish me. I’m a dumb for letting you go. I still love you, I missed you. I just ugh I- I’m sor-” Taeyeon was silence by a pair of soft lips against the dry pair of hers.

Taeyeon was stunned; her eyes double from their original size. But, senses took over her later. She finally responded to the gentle kiss, feeling herself melted in just a few seconds. Taeyeon pulled Jessica by her waist, denying the previous space between them. Oh boy, how she missed that pair of lips against hers. Both Jessica and Taeyeon unconsciously smiled into the kiss.

As their lungs started to burn from the lacked of oxygen, they pulled away but Taeyeon’s eyes never leave Jessica’s. Their battle of gaze finally unleashed whatever emotions they were feeling for the past 3 months.

Jessica rested her head against Taeyeon’s chest, inhaling her all-time favourite scent. “I told you to take your time.”

“Thank you, Jess. Thank you.” Taeyeon kissed the crown of Jessica’s forehead; feeling completed once again.

 

 

AN: Hahaha this was ridiculous. I disappoint you guys didn't I?
I told you I am a meh writer. Anyways, thank you for reading.