Youngbae Needs a Sandara

Youngbae Needs a Sandara [oneshot]

 

“Hey Youngbae, what’s wrong?” Kwon Jiyong, his friend and manager, asked. “You’ve been gloomy for the past weeks. You can’t be like that. You’re a magician. Children won’t be amazed if you do your tricks with an apathetic face.”

Youngbae ignored what Jiyong said — his mind was wandering. He knows there’s something missing.

Dong Youngbae is a well-known illusionist in South Korea. Children dream to see him in their own birthday parties. He started as an underground singer in Hongdae. To attract fans and customers, he spruced up his performance with magic tricks. From card tricks to disappearing act, Youngbae entertained the audience with magic and his voice.

He became an instant hit and several entertainment companies flocked just to get him under their company. But he declined them all, after seeing a young cancer survivor smile when he performed on the child’s birthday party. The kid inspired him to pursue his career as a magician for parties. Sometimes, he performs pro bono for charities.

He decided to break all the stereotype chains that bind him. Instead of having beautiful and y assistants, he chose to have his friends and fellow singers to be his apprentices. The boys are Choi Seunghyun, Lee Seunghyun and Kang Daesung.

Choi Seunghyun uses the name Tempo. He’s usually Youngbae’s model for his disappearing and dividing acts. He’s famous for his machine gun-rapping and Colgate hair.

Seungri, Lee Seunghyun’s alias, is the noona-heartbreaker dancer and the dashing propsman. He’s the one who usually prepares and makes the magic paraphernalia.

Daesung is the visual aesthetics man, in charge of the comic things that will surprise the audience. He’s also the y Magician’s bouncer who shoos away women who want to taste the magic of Youngbae. Unfortunately, most of these women are mothers, aunts and even grandmothers of the young audience.

His friend Kwon Jiyong joined the gang and ranked up as the manager. He gave the guys a brand new name — Big Bang. He’s in charge of their schedules, contracts and payrolls.

“Youngbae!” Jiyong called the staring magician. “Tell me, is there something wrong? We have a show later on. The babies would definitely cry at the sight of your sad face. Come on, spit it out! What’s the issue, man?”

Youngbae exhaled deeply. “There’s something missing in me that I cannot explain. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine. Let’s have some dinner later.”

His assistants over heard the conversation. Seungri exclaimed, “Alright! It’s time for us to see some ladies!”

“Womanizer Seungri is now alive,” Daesung joked.

Tempo added, “Who knows, maybe that’s what the magician needs!”

I need... a girl?

 

After their magic show, children and their parents took the chance to take pictures with the four handsome men. Giddy girls line up just to ask Youngbae for a date, but he turned them all down.

“If I were him, I’ll follow Pokemon’s catchphrase — gotta catch ‘em all!” Seungri muttered to Tempo as he observes Youngbae saying no to every woman who approaches him.

Tempo replied back, saying, “Me, too. Well, it’s his life. Let him do what he wants.”

“Youngbae-sshi!” said a woman with brunette locks, porcelain skin, bright eyes, pink lips, doll figure, smooth and long legs and a picturesque face. The world stopped for a while for Youngbae. “Youngbae-sshi? Umm... hello? Are you still on Earth?” The woman waved her hand at his face.

“Someone’s got hexed, if you ask me,” Daesung whispered to Tempo as they pack up their things.

Jiyong thought, Maybe that’s what Youngbae needs. An inspiration.

“I can read your mind, manager Kwon,” Seungri sang. “You want our magician to date that goddess because you think that’s what he needs after all, right?”

“Impressive, panda boy.”

“I’m Sandara Park, Communications Manager of YG Entertainment. I would like to invite you for a formal dinner. Are you available tonight? Or do you want it tomorrow?” the woman introduced herself.

Wow, that’s fast. “Well, I’ll ask my manager first,” he answered, trying to hide his crimson face.

Jiyong approached the two and introduced himself. “Kwon Jiyong, manager of Big Bang, at your service. How may I help you, miss?” He extended his hand in front of Sandara.

She smiled and shook his hand. “Sandara Park, Communications Manager of YG Entertainment. I would like to invite your talent for a dinner tonight or tomorrow or wherever he’s available.”

This beauty official… Asking for a date with a talent?  I smell something fishy. Well, if this is a prefect chance for him, let’s play this game! “He’s very…”

Both are praying for him to utter the word…

“Very, very available. Hey you – taps Youngbae’s chest –. Better take care of her. She’ll be the key to your ultimate stardom.”

 

As Jiyong left, Youngbae’s assistants entered the scene.

“Hi pretty angel. I’m Seungri and I can read minds.”

Daesung budged Seungri and commented, “Youngbae loves amusement parks, especially Lotte World!”

“And if he really likes you, he’ll serenade you and sweep you off your feet!” Tempo added, grabbing the other two by the back of their collars, then accompanied Jiyong in their car.

“Eh… I’m sorry about that. They’re all weird and stuff. I’m really sorry.”

She tried to stifle her laughter but ended up giggling hard. “Hee hee hee… they’re all so – hee hee hee hee, funny! So cute and adorable! I bet you’re the same as them. Hee hee hee!” Oops… I got carried away. Well, good thing I showed him I don’t bite. Rawr!

“Well, I guess you’re not-so-scary after all,” Youngbae whispered, relieved that she’s not intimidating as she looks like.

“Eh? I’m scary? Do I really look like a scary noona to you?” Sandara whimpered.

SHE’S MY NOONA? Whoa… “Amazing!” his tongue slipped.

“Um… Youngbae-sshi?” I better exit now before he blows my cover. “Youngbae-sshi, I have to go now. I have a meeting at fifteen-hundred sharp. Here’s my number – gives her call card –, call me whenever you’re available. I’ll be waiting. ” She strutted and halted a taxi. She grinned to herself then entered the cab. Yeeey~

Ha! I got a date and I’m excited as –

“DONG YOUNGBAE! We’re effing tired of waiting in vain,” Seungri yelled, his head outside the car window.

Youngbae smiled while running to the car. When he entered, cheers and applauses welcomed him.

“Look at you, you already impressed the girl!” Tempo congratulated him with a handshake. “Youngbae has a date!”

Yeah I have a date…for the first time!

 

“Youngbae-nim~” purred Sandara, donning a white scoopneck dress, pink choker and pink Maryjane pumps.

They’ve decided to meet in an Italian restaurant in Itaewon.

Wearing a white button-up, black necktie, coffee denim pants and white sneakers, Youngbae escorted the majestic beauty waiting for him.

Youngbae reserved the room upstairs where there will be only the two of them under the twinkling stars. When they reached the room, a table set for two greeted them. Youngbae pulled the seat for Sandara. Later, he occupied the chair in front of her.

A waiter clad in a black suit served the restaurant’s signature aglio oglio partnered with wine. When the waiter left, Youngbae initiated a conversion.

“Do you like pasta? I hope you’re not allergic to seafood.”

Sandara giggled, “That’s so sweet of you. Hee hee hee! I didn’t know you like all of these high-class romantic stuff. And don’t worry, I can eat anything yummy! Hee hee~”

Youngbae started to cogitate if Sandara is really from YG Entertainment. Well, maybe she’s just a jolly cute girl. I think I like her now. She’s too irresistible.

“Umm… Sandara-nim…”

Sandara paused from sipping wine and asked, “Yes, Youngbae-nim?”

“Umm… are you really from YG Entertainment?” He looked at her flabbergasted face. “I-I’m so sorry for asking such a rude question. It’s just… Ah, never mind my weird question.”

Sandara bit her lip, trying to hide her mischievous smile. She fondly pinched his cheeks. “Omo, you really are real! Hee hee… Well, I am really not from YG. I am Sandara Park, your number one fan! I used to watch you perform in Hongdae. But then, you disappeared. So I searched everywhere to see you. Then I read your name on Naver as one of the most searched names. I was disappointed that you don’t sing much anymore. I missed your beautiful voice. So… hee hee… I asked you fans how to approach you.

They told me you always decline dates. I asked help from my brother Sanghyun how to make a guy say yes. I followed all of his advices – from wearing enticing clothes, looking professional yet attractive and making offers you won’t resist. Hee hee~ Youngbae-nim… are you mad at me?”

Youngbae kissed her forehead and watched her blush and get giddy. “Let’s go to Lotte World tomorrow,” he stated.

“Y-You’re not mad?”

He took her hand and replied in a low tone, “Shall I kiss you again to answer your question?”

Ermehgerd, I think I’m gonna die~ hee hee~ “My treat! Hee hee~ umm… why are you not mad at me?”

“Well… I guess you’re the one I need.”

Omo, it’s like he’s singing Love On Top! Hee hee~ This is too much. Thank you Sanghyun much much! Hee hee hee~

“And I can’t be mad at you. You’re too cute and I’m very flattered that I had a fan in Hongdae during my singing days,” he added as he flashed his killer smile.

I’m dead~ omo omo!

 

The next day, Big Bang met up in Youngbae’s house to have breakfast. He prepared kimchi pancakes, hot rice and black coffee. Seungri fired a question to Youngbae while chewing.

“Sho Youngbhe… thell ush whut happun?”

Laughter filled the kitchen. Youngbae simply showed his joyous smile.

“Ha! So, what did you two talked about? Are we gonna be YG artists?” Daesung asked.

Youngbae shook his head. All sighed in disapproval. “Look, she’s not really from YG. She’s just a fan ever since I started in Hongdae. And if you’re going to ask me if I like her, well… I really do. She was so sweet, cute and honest. She was the one who told me the truth.”

“A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR DONG YOUNGBAE!” all yelled as they clap to congratulate Youngbae. The happy cacophony of laughter and applauses were halted by a knock on the door.

“Who could it be?” Tempo wondered.

“I wanna see a pretty lady!” Seungri chirped.

“Oh shut up, will you?” Jiyong scolded Seungri.

Daesung tapped Youngbae, saying, “Come on, open the door!”

Youngbae rose then walked towards the door. He opened it and saw…

“Good morning~ I brought breakfast! I’ve got omerice~ hee hee~” exclaimed Sandara as Youngbae opened the door. The other boys heard her voice and immediately darted to the door. “Omo, your friends are also here, too! Annyeong haseyo –bows–, Sandara Park is here, hee hee~”

Seungri blocked her from the door. “Before you enter our kingdom, tell us what is your relationship with Youngbae.”

She removed Seungri’s arms that block her way and dashed to Youngbae. She wrapped her arms around Youngbae’s biceps and declared, “Youngbae is my… boyfriend~ Hee hee hee~ You’re not complaining, right, Youngbae oppa~? –winks at Youngbae–”

“Ahe he he he he… Yes, I’m perfectly fine with that…” Youngbae agreed. She just confessed she’s my fan yesterday… and now she’s my girlfriend… Not bad, Youngbae. Not bad.