Black Iris

Tainted Her Red

English | Korean | Chinese | French


July 5th

Somewhere in Busan, a girl walked downtown with her outsized hoodie on. She wasn't concerned to cover her skin (she wore cropped button-up shirt and short skirt underneath), she only had to cover her face. Her wristwatch told her that it'd be half past midnight so she had to hurry up. The 53rd minute of every hour would always be a piece of hell for her.

The city lights were blinding but no matter how warming and colorful they were, she hated lights (not that she didn't need one) because they could only expose her presence ―at night. That's why she turned off the lights on the streets with a glance of her eyes and turned them back on only after she walked far enough.

Funny. They told her that their biggest enemy was the dark but she always brought it all the way with every step she took.

She finally arrived in front of a nightclub and although the night was too young for those who craved for liquors, the place was already crowded. She was about to step in when two well-built men with black masks halted her way. They yanked her hood off and effortlessly dragged her to an empty alley. A man caught her wrists and the other roamed his hand on her neck to touch her tattoo. She was born with that tattoo. The gift that both blessed and troubled her ever since.

Not that.

She kicked a man straight in his stomach and elbowed the other one's jaw. She ducked and snatched the platinum daggers from their pockets, only to stab their legs with their own weapons (oh, she couldn't even imagine if that thing slit her skin). She'd never kill any of them, but sure she stabbed them straight to their bones and left wide cuts. She gave them that hatred yet annoyed stare as she waved her hands to the only light in the alley. The flicker in her eyes changed the light into fireballs and she burned their wounds.

She blew her bangs, tousled her long black hair, and walked away as if nothing had happened. She'd have to meet another couple of weirdoes in an hour, though.

 

Now, welcome to Phoenix Club.

She took her hoodie off and put it on a random table before she walked to the bartender. She didn't plan to drink any ―she'd never had any― but she just felt like going to the bartender. She didn't like being in contact with any other from her kind, but the bartender was one of a few that she ever wanted to talk to.

"Hi, Black Pearl," the bartender called her, "There's something under 5%. Don't you want some?"

She shook her head. She couldn't protest him for giving her that pet name either.

That guy who can read minds and control solid matters is lucky.

She briefly looked at the bartender and wished she could read his mind someday. What would a good-looking young boy like this want by working in a nightclub? He looked totally harmless but the power he had in his system was one of the strongest forces. She didn't know his power yet she could feel the strength from his calm turquoise aura.

"I don't drink. You know it,"

"Alright. Kyungsoo never talks to customers twice. Have fun, Black Pearl, if you do want to,"

She could read his bright aura, but she couldn't control it. She sighed. She looked around (the dancing crowd, bottles of liquors, the awkward DJ trio) and the sight bored her more... until the familiar figure appeared from the sea of people. She nearly smiled, but the taller lad behind him made her frown. She didn't expect the other one that night.

"Welcome to Phoenix, everyone. BH and CY amused you already, eh? Now your best DJ, the almighty JD is in the house, yo!"

Screw those DJs, their aliases were weird anyway. They should've been more creative with their stage names first before their music.

She quickly squeezed to the crowd to avoid the two blond Kims ―yet she knew their last name― because she hated what they'd do. Nag her to go home. Always.

She hurriedly dashed to the back doors. Her hands were already on the handles and there were no guards. She thought it'd be an easy escape, like usual, but somehow the taller lad appeared from the open doors and he flashed a teasing smirk. A second later, she was dragged to the dance floor. He ran his fingers through his blond hair and she could see the triangle tattoo on his neck.

Why is Suho not around?

Forget Do Kyungsoo, she'd definitely control this boy first if she could. Even her Suho was never this persistent to her.

"Annyeong," he comfortably wrapped his hands around her waist, "Kai's back,"

She definitely wouldn't buy that seductive smile. She really hated the way he held her waist like he knew her. She took his arm to twist it, but Kai caught her hand first and spun her like tango. Her pride would never let him mock her this way, so she squeezed his wrist.

"Better know who you touch,"

She glared at him, throwing ice daggers right to his eyes, and her black contact lenses couldn't hide the flicker of her orbs from him. They were the same, after all.

"Tsk. Chinese like you..." Kai shook his head, "You talk like you know me,"

That was offensive and the defensive girl was burned in annoyance.

"That's racist," she glared coldly, "Don't talk like you're not friends with Chinese yourself. You can't compare me to him, Kim. He's no better than me,"

Kai glared back at her. He knew who she referred to.

"Don't talk like that about Han Hyung,"

She leaned close to his face, "Oh, so Han Hyung is now your boyfriend?" she chuckled cynically and her eyes twinkled in glee

Kai couldn't take it. Never blame him for accepting the job offer because the girl ―this girl― he was after was all attractive. And she was being a -headed teaser after all. He dragged her head first and kissed her near her earlobe.

"I am as straight as a gun. Was there even a crooked gun?" Kai whispered to her pierced ear

"Then keep your grenades in your pocket," she warned as she shoved his face away, "If you know what I mean,"

"If only I wasn't sent to hunt you down, I'll definitely make out with you. Frankly to say, you're the best choice for a first shot,"

Wow, such a shameless attempt. She wouldn't lose it to him.

"You wish,"


The other blond Kim was only watching from afar. Next to the DJ's turntable, to be exact. She knew their presence, actually, but she wouldn't give a damn.

"So, Black Pearl's doing fine, Jongdae-ya?"

"She always is," Jongdae said as he kept playing his music, "But seeing our far-far-faraway cousin, he's her biggest irritation so far, Joonmyeon Hyung,"

"He's been watching her for months with us, you know. He's physically attracted to her,"

"He should learn how to control his hormones,"

"Yeah, they have to get married soon so their son or daughter can take over the responsibility from me," Baekhyun lazily jumped in

"It's not your fault to be the center force of this generation, Baekhyun-ah. But no offense, I still think that fire should be greater than light,"

"Chanyeol-ah, shut up," Baekhyun grabbed a bottle of wine and shamelessly drank it all in one-shot, "Just wait till you experience how stressing it is. You'll cry to your mom and nag God you never had your power,"

"Shut up, please, you two," Jongdae rolled his eyes, "The Kims are working on a mission and JD is the DJ right now,"

"None of you is helping," Joonmyeon nagged impatiently, "I better talk to Kyungsoo, and probably summon Han Hyung to come,"


Joonmyeon had enough from the trio, and Kai had enough playing cool with the girl.

"Why don't you just get back to your huge mansion so we can get over this?" Kai nearly nagged, "I've been following you around for months,"

"Don't nag. I've been doing this over and over and my Suho has followed me for years," she shrugged, "You can bring me back now but I'll still escape later,"

Kai furrowed his eyebrows, "Your Suho (Guardian)?"

"Your partner, or your not-so-related kin, Kim Joonmyeon. He's been loyally following me around before you ever stepped in the picture so that's why he's my Suho," she unwillingly explained, "Tell me who the third Kim is. Kim Joonmyeon, Kim you, and?"

Kai smirked. Her father hired three Kims, but there was another Kim in the business. One of their kind.

"If you're really that smart then find out yourself,"

Kai irked her. She clicked her tongue and walked away. He ruffled his hair in frustration, quickly followed her suit but she disappeared from the crowd. Kai craned his neck out to scan the whole club and there, he saw her at a corner with a bunch of men circling around her. He wasted no seconds to get back to her but when he was close, three tall men pushed him away. Literally.

"Back off, man. She doesn't like you,"

"Don't mess with her,"

"You heard them. Now, shoo,"

Kai glanced at her and she only smirked in victory with arms crossed before her chest. She looked at the guy next to her and as soon as her eyes sparkled, he walked to Kai with an annoyed expression. That guy sure looked fine before, before she looked at him.

"Dude, let me repeat them. Back.off.now," the last guy pushed Kai even harder

Kai furrowed his eyebrows in annoyance and stared straight at her.

"You control them?" Kai exclaimed, "Woman..." he shook his head, "I knew it. It's not nice to use your power for your own behalf,"

"Don't talk like you didn't teleport into my flat. I know you did,"

Kai's expression changed in a matter of second. So she found out.

"That was for your own sake,"

"Your own sake, my foot," she crossed her arms, "Don't follow me,"

"Listen, you don't know what's comi―"

"Talk to my hand," she nonchalantly waved her hand and another guy walked to Kai, "You heard my boys. Back off,"

"What if I don't want to?" Kai challenged

Her eyes were dimmed for a split second before the glitters danced back in her orbs.

"You waste my time,"

The big guys dragged Kai to the back doors and she gave no damn about what might happen next. She knew he could teleport, but she already set those men to hunt him down for approximately an hour. Enough time to fly away. She calmly walked to the table where she put her hoodie and when she came...

"Excuse me,"

...a beautiful sight welcomed her. A tall earthling used her hoodie as a pillow on the table and he looked peacefully deep asleep. He was a handsome lad (probably her age) with messy dark hair covering half of his face, eyes squeezed shut, and lips slightly apart. His milky skin literally shined and she was amazed ―how could God create such a perfection? She had no heart to wake him up, but too bad she had to.

"I..." she cleared and spoke louder, "I said, excuse me. I need that back,"

He snapped his head up and turned to her with a sleepy face on. He immediately bolted his eyes, as wide as his slanted eyes could, when he saw the pretty girl clutching at the hoodie. It took him a couple seconds to tear his gaze from her face.

"I'm sorry. I was tired so... I fell asleep," he handed her the hoodie, "...I'm sorry,"

She knew who she met and her irises turned yellow, as bright as the sunflower petals. If she weren't wearing those lenses, people around would've freaked out seeing her metamorphosing orbs. As soon as her irises changed, a cheerful smile was plastered on her lips and pink shades innocently tainted her cheeks.

"It's okay, Sehun-ah," she chuckled

Their hands slightly brushed when she received the hoodie. She knew right from the start that he was just like her, just like the annoying Kai and the patient Suho, and the bartender and the DJs. Still, she wondered what kind of power he possessed. He had the best look among all the forces she'd met by the way.

"Sehun-ah, I have to go,"

"What? I just came―"

"I'm sorry. I don't drink, but I'll treat you next time,"

She looked at her watch. 02:44. Time never gave her a chance.

"Damn,"

She turned her back to him, ready to leave through the front doors, but somebody grabbed her by the shoulders to turn her around. It was Kai. She forcefully squeezed Kai's wrists in annoyance but he didn't even flinch. Sehun jumped in between them right away.

"Hey, leave her alo―"

"Get lost," Kai snapped back angrily, "I've had enough people telling me to back off,"

Kai was again pushed off but this time he could feel a strong wind blowing him away. She bolted her eyes, finally finding out his power.

"Sehun, it's fine. He was just playing around," she patted Sehun's tensed shoulder tenderly, "You guys stop this all, okay. I have to go,"

She gave Sehun a rushed goodbye wave and left without sparing Kai a look. Kai yanked his hair desperately because he was too late to catch her back ―again.

"You know her?"

"Yes, I do. I met her a few times before but I don't―"

Kai wanted to grab Sehun's collar but he remembered the strong wind that pushed him away before. He looked at Sehun's neck and found the tattoo. The one that was supposed to be Han's counterpart.

"And you let her go?" Kai questioned in frustration, "Argh! Did you lost your mind? The Dark Chasers are chasing after her, you stupid moron!"

Sehun had his poker face on. Enough with the manners and formality.

"Sorry, I don't know you and I don't know a single you talk about,"

"You don't know a single ?" Kai repeated unbelievingly, "Then let me teach you some lesson, Eleven,"


Han strolled down the streets in the middle of the night. He needed no maps, he needed no GPS. You wouldn't need those if you could read mind. He read a stranger's (a drunken girl with pixie blond hair who randomly bumped into him) mind and got the exact position of Phoenix Club that way. He absentmindedly dug into his pocket for his phone and quickly typed a text.

Xiumin, I sense something weird. Come here.

Han heard a faint clang and abruptly stopped walking right in front of a dull Italian café. He knew there were people coming and the footsteps grew closer, closer, closer―

Clash.

Dark Chasers.

Han waved his hands to a random wooden table in front of the café and it flied straight away to one of the Dark Chasers. , they were assassins. Han should've found better stuffs to throw away.

One Chaser temporarily down, three Chasers to go.

A Dark Chaser ran to Han with a platinum knife held high and Han automatically threw another random table to him. The man wasn't tackled down, and the other three ran faster to Han. One of them had a titanium knife in handy and Han bolted his eyes in shock.

Platinum could give enough pain, but titanium would bring him to death right away.

Han frantically looked around the streets but nothing heavy or powerful was in sight. There was a car, but he couldn't make a big mess in this open space. Deadlock. He quickly turned to run for his life and the Dark Chasers started chasing after him.

"What the hell. Where are those peasants?"

Han kept running and threw random things to them. Piles of trash, wooden benches, mailboxes, restaurants planks, flower pots; anything in sight.

Last turn to the right, last turn to the right―

A platinum knife flied straight to the back of Han's head. He turned around to see the knife pointing straight at his eyeball. A splash of water crushed the knife out of nowhere and froze it to an irregular ice block, just in time. Joonmyeon splashed the water to Han's first attacker and Xiumin froze the unknown assassin only with a swipe.

Baekhyun flashed a great amount of light from his palms. Chanyeol immersed into the heat and converted the energy to flame fire from his own palms. He threw fireballs to two Dark Chasers. The Dark Chaser with titanium knife still ran to Han. Jongdae came up next, his left hand focused on a street light and his right hand converted the electricity into a lightning to strike the last Dark Chaser with his titanium knife.

"You should thank me for supplying you the energy," Baekhyun said to Chanyeol, "Jongdae is independent this time,"

Chanyeol rolled his eyes, "Let's safe it for much later,"

"Kyungsoo could be a lot more useful and we wouldn't need you two if he were here," Xiumin snapped

Han, who had been watching the whole fighting scene, was still trembling in shock. He had encountered a lot of Dark Chasers, but that was the very first time he ever saw them bringing a titanium weapon around.

The situation was getting serious.

"You saw the titanium?"

"We did," Jongdae replied, "The weapons are powerful, but the assassins are not the strongest ones. They're being stupid this time,"

"She turned 20 and they started hunting her down," Xiumin said in a dead serious tone, "We better find her,"

"Tsk, that girl. Zitao's supposed to be the one dragging her back safe and sound," Baekhyun grumbled

"If he could, I and Jongin and Jongdae would've never been hired at the first place," Joonmyeon said, "She's smart. Just wait until she realizes how strong her power is,"

 


[A/N] At first I only wanted about a daughter's mafia being kidnapped and such and I don't know what hit my head but it turned out to be like this .-.