A Risk

The Rising

A young woman of the age of twenty five had longed for adventure when she was younger. Mizuki had traveled to several different countries and she was truly happy. But, her adventures had come to an end.

 

While on a trip to England she decided something was missing in her life. She spent endless nights thinking, what could it be. One day in the hours before noon she realizes she wants to fall in love. For no one had shown any remote interest. Mizuki hadn't seen anyone she liked or even wanted to like, but she was lonely. She walked around the cobble stoned streets of England for days, looking for someone she could at least relate to.

 

She had found some people but they quickly had just become friends. It looked completely hopeless for Mizuki and she was giving up. She was tired of searching and sat down on the nearest empty bench. She became lost in her thoughts of the future.

 

When Mizuki looked up there was a young man beside her. She hadn't noticed him but then again, she had become distracted. She examined him closer and realized he had perfect etiquette. He sat straight as an arrow with his head held high. His hair looked like molten ashes, ready to burn. He was of good height, slightly taller than herself. While she was looking at him, the guy casually asked for her name. She was completely caught off guard and felt slightly embarrassed.

 

She told him her name was Mizuki. He nodded to tell her he had heard. He said in a rich voice that his name was Usui. There was something odd about this man, his aura was clouded.It was hard to place but then she noticed his eyes. Usui's eyes were a bright glowing green. They were like emeralds caught on fire. Mizuki felt like she was falling into a endless glowing chasm. They were engulfing her into a peaceful feeling that left her numb and tingling. When he spoke again, it shook off the effect.

 

They talked for a long time. Their talk consisted of simple things, such as where she lived, though she gave discreet answers. Mizuki was secretly starting to like him. Usui then said," If you care for me enough, meet me in the woods at nightfall." As he walked away she started to seriously consider his offer. She had just met Usui but the thought had never crossed her mind that she was doing anything out of the ordinary. Mizuki decided to meet him even though it was late. She walked out of town to a few acres of empty lots. She walked in the woods for a few minutes and realized it was getting dark. Light was shimmering off the leaves as the sun dropped down below the horizon. She couldn't see Usui anywhere and was starting to think he'd forget to come.

 

Then Mizuki heard something snap! She was frightened at first but thought it was probably just an animal. The bush to the right of her rustled, Mizuki's mind went into overdrive as she tried to figure out what it could be. A deer of russet brown poked its head out from behind the bush and she started to relax. She wanted to be thinking reason about this, but then the deer's head jerked up and promptly ran away.

 

As Mizuki turned to watch it go something zipped past behind her. She was instantly in panic mode, looking around wildly as she realized she shouldn't have come. It was far too late for that now. Mizuki saw a flash of fur jump down from a tree to the right of her. She didn't know what it could be and was about to run, when she heard the howl. Mizuki looked up to see a wolf on a rock ledge above her, eyes flashing bright green, howling at the full moon.

 

*If you like the story comment for a continuum of Mizuki's and Usui's supernatural story*