The Beginning

The Two Sided Man

It was a chilly night, more so than usual this very night. Maybe it was because Jung Daehyun had gotten another call from the Crime Investigation Squad, or it may be the fact that there is a dead body laying in the house already. Either way, when the CIS calls him, he knows that somebody is already dead.

 

Ever so reluctantly, the 19 year old climbed out of his bed and stumbled to his wardrobe, tripping over items scattered on the floor as his eyes adjusted to the inky darkness of 1:13am. As he opened his wardrobe doors, the lights built into it flickered on revealing his numerous amounts of clothes that clearly have been divided into two separate portions. On the left side, formal attire like suits and pants were neatly pressed and hung, while on the other side, the clothes were as messy as a 10 year old boy's. T-shirts and shorts were randomly chucked into the pile and school clothings were disheveled, laying dominant on the top of the pile. Daehyun picked out a white shirt and black pants and strapped on a tie as he slowly and stealthily crept out of the house, not wanting his aunt to awaken.

 

                                                         ~

 

As Daehyun arrived at the house of the crime scene, he discreetly took out a pill bottle and ingested two pills of morphine. Ducking under the "do not cross" tag, he made his way over to the officer who had called him. 

 

"Ah, Jung Daehyun! Sorry to have to call you out so late in the night to do a police's work." Officer Brock said. 

 

"It's completely fine. So what's new?" Daehyun replied. 

 

"It's like you said, after the CIS had conducted their investigations, we have managed to piece the puzzle together and it is indeed, a serial killer on the loose." the officer said. 

 

"Well, " Daehyun continued almost not surprised, "What is the pattern?" 

 

The officer scratched his head, "Well, the killing method is completely random and other than that, the victims all seem to be of ages 39. This one however, is 42."

 

Daehyun thought to himself silently for a moment. "Have you checked their past records? And what else do they have in common? I'm sure that isn't it, serial killers kill with patterns so maybe eye color, job type, or even the attitudes of the victims." 

 

The officer was the one that looked surprised now, "Eye color? We never really paid attention to the color of the eye before... Maybe there really is a link there! I'll get another officer to look into the victims' past records. Good job kid." 

 

Daehyun smiled at the officer with the constant fatigue stinging him, but he was not done yet. He walked up to the house and entered it. Laying on the ground just in front of him was the victim, his green eyes were lifeless and there was foam around his mouth and he was laying in a pool of bloody vomit. After all this time, one would think that seeing so many dead bodies might have made him used to it but everytime Daehyun sees a dead body, he will always feel a chill down his spine, he will always see the person whenever he closes his eyes. As Daehyun sight trailed to the victim's arm, he noticed that the skin was all cracked.

 

Poison... But what kind of poison and who did it? Daehyun thought to himself, not able to understand why and how someone could have commited such a heinous crime. 

 

"Ah! Mr. Jung, I was just about to go looking for you, " one of the chemist from the CIS truck exclaimed as he entered the house holding a small stack of papers. "I managed to get the results of the blood test and these documents here show that he was poisoned with Toluene and Formaldehyde." 

 

Daehyun's eyes widened. Toluene and Formaldehyde? Aren't those ingredients of-

 

"Nail polish. You guessed it Mr. Jung. Also he was eating a bowl of Udon when he was poisoned, we found bits the food in his system when our guy sent us the autopsy reports. So the big question is, how did the killer managed to sneak the poisons inside the food?"

 

Daehyun was left speechless as well. The first case was a victim who was stabbed and two months afterwards, another victim was found with his head smashed in. It has been a month since and now there is a victim who was murdered with poison. The complexity of the crime just seem to keep elevating and it worried Daehyun. He had to put this case to an end as soon as possible before anybody else died. 

 

"Thank you for the information, it's late and I have school tomorrow. I'll try to assist you in this as much as I possibly can." Daehyun thanked the chemist politely and walked out the house. The night breeze blew against his face and he took in a deep breath. The air outside was much more pleasant than the air inside; it reeked terribly and not only because there is a corpse inside the house. There was something about the house that gave Daehyun a chill down his spine, it was as if the killer was still there as he or she witnessed the victim claw at his throat in agony as the poison was pumped into his veins.

 

As Daehyun slowly walked back to his home contemplating on the case, a girl ran into him and almost knocked him over. She came from behind him, as if she saw the crime scene and was too scared to be anywhere near it.

 

"Hey, watch yourself!" Daehyun exclaimed.

 

 

She turned and stared wide-eyed at him. For a moment the night was silent and he kept contact with her. The girl seemed to be mixed with a variation of emotions: anger, fear, shock. She had long flowing dark colored hair and she was wearing a leather jacket and jeans. She was already panting and covered in sweat when she collided with him. Daehyun was about to open his mouth to apologize but the girl just furrowed her brows and ran on ahead all of a sudden, leaving him in the dust. 

 

Am I really that scary? Daehyun wondered. 

 

A glint of light caught Daehyun's eye as he continued walking along the path. As he picked the object up to observe it, he realized it was a necklace with a heart pendant with the name "Karrin" carved into it. He figured it must have been the girl's necklace and dropped it shortly after bumping into him so he decided to keep it. He had a feeling that they would meet again, somehow or another.

 

                                                       ~

 

As Daehyun sneaked back into his home again, he tiptoed his way up the stairs back into his room where the bedside lamp was still glowing warmly. He took off his shirt and tie and hung it back in his wardrobe. Rubbing his eyes from the fatigue, he plopped onto his bed and removed the necklace from his pocket and carefully put it by his alarm clock that was ready to blare in five hours. He clicked the bedside lamp off and closed his eyes, letting the infinite darkness envelope him.

 

Flashes of the third victim popped into his head and he sat straight up in his bed again. He cursed silently and tried to maintain his composure by taking in deep breaths before laying back down again. This time he pictured the girl and her beautiful brown, hazel eyes. Nobody forgets the eyes of a person after they meet. Daehyun slowly drifted into a deep slumber after awhile and nothing mattered anymore.