Prologue

Cloud 9

 

Luhan was bored. He was bored of his booth. He was bored of pretending to be nice. He was bored of life. Lazily, he pushed another train ticket through the small slot at the bottom of the booth's window. Then he retrieved the money and placed it in the cash register. He repeated the process again when an elderly lady walked past, adding in a bow. Last time he'd forgotten the bow, he'd had to have an ice pack on his head for days from the lady's bag hitting him upside the head. This went on for about ten minutes before the line diminished and the lunch-time rush ended. All in all, it was only fair to say that working at a train station is really uninteresting and if Luhan had any out-goingness in him then he might as well steal the money and run off into the sunset. Of course, he'd tried that once. Well, tried. He'd only gotten so far as the 'finding his inner dare devil' before he got bored of that idea and decided he'll just have to wait till the end of his shift before he attempting anything exciting. Luhan's idea of exciting was playing video games while drinking over caffeinated coffee.

 

“One ticket for Seoul please.”

 

Luhan almost fell backwards off his chair. He flailed his arms and squeaked. “S-sure!” Luhan mumbled, trying to compose himself. Despite, his shaking hands he managed to hand the ticket over to the commuter without looking anywhere but the grey floor beneath him. Don't look. Don't make eye contact. Stay calm. Don't do anything stupid. All these thoughts jumbling around in his head were making him dizzy.

 

“Thanks.”

 

Luhan nodded sharply.

 

The commuter straightened his coat and Luhan felt his heart take a massive leap.

Let me explain one things first.

To Luhan, Oh Sehun was like a god (not that he actually knew his name). They'd never officially been introduced, but Luhan couldn't help admiring Sehun's flawless face and incredible jaw-line. When he'd heard Luhan talk about Sehun at first Chanyeol had laughed so hard he threw up. If it weren't for the fact that Chanyeol was Luhan's best friend and owner of the house he lived in, he would have very well hit the taller. Of course, Oh Sehun knew not of Luhan's existence. To him, Luhan was a random fare token collector who he happened to walk past every day.

 

As Sehun raced off to catch the train, Luhan hit his head against the booth window. The sound bounced around a bit before reminding Luhan that he now had a throbbing pain in his forehead and a splitting headache.

 

 

§§§

 

 

“You okay?” Chanyeol asked through the phone as Luhan climbed into his car at the end of the day.

 

“Yep. Today went pretty smoothly considering how much of a bit- how bad of a headache I had by the end...damn, almost another ten won there!” Luhan laughed. He'd started a swear jar in hope that one day, Chanyeol and himself would might lose the habit. So far they were losing at least a thousand won a week. “But, yeah it was pretty good.”

 

“You met mister Oh so perfect didn't you?” Chanyeol teased, chuckling at his own terrible, terrible pun.

 

“I-I can't really avoid him now can I?” Luhan said, defending himself.

 

There was a pause. “Suppose not. But if I had any say, I'd suggest quitting. You're moping around like a love sick puppy. Quite literally. You curl into a ball to go to sleep.”

 

Luhan turned the key in the ignition with a scowl. He pulled out of the parking lot with his head resting against his shoulder so that his phone stayed by his ear. “I don't do that!” he protested angrily.

 

“Mhmm and I'm not freakishly tall. You keep telling yourself that.”

 

“But...Chanyeol? Chanyeol? Channie?”

 

“...”

 

“Did-did you just hang up on me?! That son of a bi-”

 

One hundred more won was added to the jar that day.