Special Chapter 1

My Hirunaka

It was a chilly morning. Suzume sat on her chair, trying to think of what to do after school. Would she invite Mamura for a drink on the way home? Would they go to a music store and try to listen to the same music Mamura has been playing all along in his music player?

“Ohayo!” Mamura greeted her. He was just a few inches from his face. Suzume rapidly blushed on the instant. What was I thinking? She asked herself. She tried to look away and tried to hide her face from him. How was it to act normal again? Thinking about it, she clenched her chest which painfully throbbed. When she looked at Mamura’s direction again, Mamura shyly tried to hide his face and went straight to his seat.

                Looking at Mamura’s profile, how was he always wearing those headphones? But, Suzume was kind of thankful deep inside. So, he really does treasure it. I also have to move forward. Suzume tried to talk to him at that instant, but Mamura coldly replied, “I…I can’t go.” He hid his face with one of his hands again. “I’m really sorry….” Mamura buried his face on his desk.

                “Too…too bad.” Suzume could only muster those words. She was not used in that kind of cold aura. Meanwhile, Yuyuka tried to approach her.

                “What are you doing there?” Yuyuka patted her shoulder. “Mamura, ohayo!” Yuyuka looked at Mamura.

                Mamura nonchalantly waved.

                “Come with me...” Yuyuka dragged Suzume out of their classroom. “You know, Mamura got confessed to.”

                “Huh?” Suzume didn’t really know how to react. “Well, it happens…” Her stoned expression surprised Yuyuka.

                “Hey, both of you are dating… It means that the girl in question here doesn’t really see you as a threat.” Yuyuka was pretty pissed off. “Suzume, you want to be with Mamura, right?” Yuyuka’s eyes were of a strange color. She was clearly worried about the two of them.

                Well, it’s fine, right? We just started dating for a while. But, is that why he rejected my offer? Suzume clinged on her shirt. “What was Mamura’s reply?”

                “That’s the strange part…The girl said he postponed it…” Yuyuka heaved a sigh. “At this rate, Mamura would get stolen from you…”

                Suzume didn’t know what to think and just silently looked at her shoes. Was I truly a failure as his girlfriend?

                “Hey, Yosana-san, Nekota-san, classes are starting. Get back inside.” The teacher of their first term called out.

                “Hai~” Both of them went back inside.

                From that morning up to lunchtime, Mamura just stayed on the classroom and ate alone. He had avoided Suzume up to the point that he did not want her to get close to him. Suzume felt so bothered but she thought that it was her fault. Mamura has always been helping me out. He’s always there…

                Her afternoon classes turned dull as she worried about it even more. As the classes ended, she felt really weary. She was surprised that Mamura tried to talk to her. She felt happy but,…

                “I’m sorry, I can’t walk you home…” Mamura was still hiding his face. His voice was kind of off...

                “Is..is that so?” Suzume tried to look at his face. “It’s fine…I can walk alone.” She assured him with one of her fake smiles. Would this be my normal expression?

                “I’d be going.” Mamura turned his back on her. As their distance with each other grew, Mamura stole a glance on her. He saw Suzume’s eyes, getting teary. He felt so concerned and a bit sad about his behavior but, as he turned around again, “Damn this cold. I even forgot to wear a mask. *cough* *cough*”, Mamura started to think about how Suzume has been around him. Wait…was she hurt by me? Hey, hey… I’m supposed to make her feel better, not worse. I’ll talk to her when Monday comes.

 

AT HOME

                “Welcome back.” Suzume’s uncle greeted her. “Is something wrong?”

                Suzume’s eyes were puffy red. Her cheeks were also red. “Uhm… do we, Mamura and I, look like a couple?”

                “Hey, did something happen between the two of you?”

                “It seems like he’s been avoiding…no, no,there’s nothing between us.” Suzume made a straight face and tried to smile. “I’d be going to my room.” She waved at her Uncle.

 

                “Should I call his father?” Her Uncle scratched his head. “Hmn….”

 

AFTER A WHILE

                Getting depressed, Suzume had not realized that her Uncle was knocking on her door.

                “Ahhh….” Her Uncle was kind of red. “This is really embarrassing…”

                “What is…?” Suzume did not get what was happening.

                “Uhm… I called your boyfriend’s father and I….” Her Uncle turned gloomy. “And, shouted at how Mamura was avoiding you… and you looked as if you were about to collapse. And.. it turned out Mamura was having a fever.”

                “Eeehh?” Suzume couldn’t know why she was feeling happy. “Is…is that why…he’s…”

                “Yeah. He forgot to wear a face mask and did not want to pass it to you…”

                Both Suzume and her Uncle heaved a sigh. He should have told me. He knew that he could count on me.

                “Uncle, can I go to their house tomorrow? I…I have to check up on him.”

                Her Uncle was kind of surprised to her niece’s determination. “Do as what you please…”