Promise

Living in a box

“Prince Suho, where are you going?” “Outside, madam. I want to take a breather outside.” “Please be careful, prince.” “Always.” he smiled his 100$ smile and went outside. When he was outside walking on the forecourt he noticed a big box standing next to the gate. He didn't think much about it, but when he was about to turn around he saw the box rustling. Curious he went to the gate and looked to the box. As he stood in front of it he noticed the gap and slowly his hand found the way to open it. Before he could touch and open it he heard a quiet growl. A puppy? He then opened it and what he found nearly made him faint.

In the small box, not bigger then a box from a TV, sat a girl. Her hair was brown and fuzzy, her clothes ripped apart and dirty and her face was stained with mud. She didn't wear any shoes and in the faint moonlight he could see that her feet were blue colored. She didn't look at him, not even when he asked what she's doing here, in the box, in front of his house. One thing was clear, he couldn't let her suffocate in the cold night, so he gently held her wrist and brought her out of the box. If he had noticed that she slightly flinched away, he didn't let her see it. He then gently let her arm go, slipped out of his jacket and laid it around her shoulders. She instantly cuddled in the warmth and a small smile played on Suho's lips.

She's cute. He then remembered that she doesn't wear any shoes and quickly took his shoes off and put them on her bare feet. They were a bit too big but she didn't mind. “What's your name?” he asked with his angel voice and she shuddered because of the feeling that crept up her spine. “Yunhee.” she stuttered and he smiled, happy that she answered. “Well Yunhee, since today is your lucky day, you will stay at my house.” Her eyes widened and she stared at him. For the first time he saw her big brown eyes, with the long eyelashes. His heart made a small jump, when he saw how innocently she blinked.

He then quickly but gently shoved her through the gate to the main door. When he opened the door, his favorite maid Hye Mi came running “My prince, why are you so late-” she stopped in her tracks when she saw the girl next to Suho. Her eyes softened. “Who's she?” she asked with a motherly voice and when Suho answered with her name, she stood in front of her. “Well Yunhee. How did you come here?” Yunhee only shook her head and Suho bit his lips. Why would she refuse to talk about that? Was it that bad? “Come here dear, we will bath you and you will get new clothes. Prince Suho, please go into the kitchen and ask Ari to make dinner and to get a room for Yunhee ready.” With that the old lady shoved the small girl into the direction of the bathroom. Suho smiled at the fact that Hye Mi didn't mind to take care of the girl.

When he went to the kitchen he saw Ari humming a melodic tone. It seemed like she heard his steps, because when he entered she turned around, bowed and said “Hello prince. Are you hungry?” “No thank you Ari. But I do need help.” One of her eyebrows raised and with her rather low voice she asked “Help? Tell me prince.” He told her that he found Yunhee in the box and that she needed a bedroom and something to eat. When he finished, her eyes were double her size and she unwillingly sighed. “Poor girl, who would put a girl on the street? I will finish the food and the room. Please make yourself comfortable, prince.”

He nodded and sat on the couch in the living room. After an hour of reading a fascinating book he heard quiet steps on the staircase and he quickly rushed to them. When he arrived his eyes widened and his heart made a somersault. In front of him on the stairs stood a beautiful girl, with long brown hair that hung loose on her shoulders, wearing a cute pajama with bunny's on them and also thick socks. She slowly made her way down the stairs, looking clearly at Suho. Because of her slippery socks she slipped the last few levels from the stairs and with Suho's quicky reflexes she laid in his arms. She madly blushed and quickly wiggled her way out of Suho's arms.

“I'm sorry.” she whispered and he swore, he never heard such a beautiful voice in his life. “No problem. Do you want to eat something?” he asked her with soft eyes. But she quickly shook her head. “Master said I shouldn't eat, when he isn't around. Master said he will punish me when I'm not listening to him.” she quickly added and Suho felt all his blood rushing from his face. Ma-master? That moment Hye Mi came downstairs. “It's okay dear. Eat. You're not living with your master now. Eat, honey, eat.” Yunhee looked really unsure, but when she saw what Ari made her, her tummy grumbled loudly.

Since when didn't she eat something? She looks so thin. His thoughts were interrupted when he saw her taking the plate and putting it on the floor. What is she doing? She then got on her knees and started to eat with her fingers. Hye Mi quickly rushed to her. “No dear, no. You can't eat like this. She then seated her on a chair and put the plate in front of her on the table. She gave her the chopsticks and smiled reassuringly at her. “Master said, I'm not worthy to eat on the table. Chopsticks are only for good people. I'm not good. I'm bad. I did bad. Master said I have to scrub the whole floor, so that it shines. There was a stain on the floor. I'm so sorry, Master.” she then began to sob. Suho's heart painfully clenched, when he saw the sobbing Yunhee, one single tear running down her cheek. With long steps he stood in front of her and gently wiped the tear with his thumb away. “He's not here. Eat Yunhee. Everything will be alright.”

I promise you, he thought.