Pizza and a Movie

Best Guy Friend

 

 

I was nestled in a small corner of the library reading a book. This was the one place that I could go to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of the school’s hallways. The sun’s rays warmed my back as I happily turned the next page. The plot was just beginning to heat up and there was no way I was willing to tear myself away for even a second. My hands gripped the book cover even tighter as the villain’s motives were about to be revealed. Suddenly, a hand appeared in front of my face and ripped the book from my grasp. I gaped at my now empty hands as I heard familiar laughter behind me. 

“Yah!” I tried to speak below a whisper, “Park Jae Hyung!”

I turned to find the tall boy leaning against the bookcase, my precious book in his left hand. “Were you busy?” he laughed waving my precious cargo in the air.

I cautiously walked towards him, “Put the book down, Jae.”

“I just wanted to spend some time with you,” he pouted and tilted his head, “Is that so wrong?”

“Just hand it over.” I took a few more steps towards him and he, in turn, took a few steps back.

He smirked, “Over my dead body.” and then he bolted.

“Yah!” I ran after him, showing total disregard for the quiet rules in the library, “Give me back my book, Park Jae Hyung!”

I heard his maniacal laughter as I weaved through the hallway, “You’ll have to catch me first!”
I groaned and pushed myself farther until I was in an empty hall. I skidded to a stop, the sound of my shoes echoing off the lockers.

“Come out, Jae.” I groaned as I tried to catch my breath. Nothing.

I sighed, “I’ll buy you a soda.” Still nothing.

“Pizza?”

I heard a noise behind me and I spun around only to come face to face with someone’s chest. I quickly pushed myself away and glared at the perpetrator who was none other than Jae.

“Pizza and a movie.” he dangled the book just out of my reach.

I jumped up to grab it but it was no use. “Fine.” I stomped my foot, “Just give me my book.”

“You’re the best best friend anyone could ask for.” he ruffled my hair and set the book in my hands.

“I just bribed you, Jae.” I fixed my hair. 

“Tomato, tom-ah-to.” he threw his arm around my shoulders and steered me into the busier hallway.

I rolled my eyes only to have them settle on the one person who I didn’t want to see at the moment: Seunghoon. Well, I did want to see him but not like this. Not with Jae Hyung’s arm around me. I quickly pushed him off me and put as much distance between us as I could.

“H-hey, Seunghoon.” I shyly waved at him.

He smiled at me and waved back. I practically fainted as I leaned against the lockers for support.

“When are you going to tell him that you like him?” Jae Hyung shook his head.

“Shh!” I threw my hands over his mouth, “Are you kidding me?”

He easily pushed my hands aside and frowned, “He’s one of my really good friends I could always talk to-“
“Nope, nope.” I yelled gaining a lot of confused looks.

“J-just not now.” I lowered my voice.

“How bout now?” he gave me a mischievous smile and bolted across the hall in the direction of Seunghoon.

“No!” I ran after him.

“Hey, Seunghoon!” he chirped. Seunghoon’s eyes widened as I practically ran into him.

“H-hi again.” I blushed fixing my hair.

“We’re planning on going to see that new horror movie at the cinema tonight,” Jae Hyung began as I begged him to stop with my eyes. 

He smirked at me but continued talking, “We happened to have an extra ticket and we were wondering if you wanted to come.”

“Are you sure it’s not a problem?” Seunghoon looked at me.

I shook my head, “You’d never be a burden.” I answered softly.

Seunghoon smiled back at me, “Sure, I’ll go.”

“That’s great!” Jae Hyung patted Seunghoon’s shoulder, “Only I can’t give the little one here a ride.”

I practically growled at Jae Hyung.

“Do you think you can pick her up?” Jae Hyung’s tricks never ended.

“Yeah!” Seunghoon smiled brightly, “I’ll text you!”

I nodded, “Thanks, Seunghoon.”

Jae Hyung and I said our goodbyes and began to walk to class.

“You’re dead.” I punched Jae Hyung in the arm.

He groaned and rubbed the point of impact, “Yah, I got you a date. You’re lucky I don’t cancel and leave you two alone.”

“Just kidding.” my eyes widened, “You’re the best!”

“That’s more like it.” a smug smile settled its way onto his face.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

I nervously ran my hands over my dress as I looked in the mirror for the hundredth time that evening. I had put on a short navy blue dress and a white sweater. I had even put on a little makeup and literally bathed myself in perfume.

Ding dong!

I jumped at the sound and did one more once over in the mirror before I went downstairs.

I opened the door to find a jumpy Seunghoon, “H-hi!”

“Hello.” I smiled nervously.

“I-I’m sorry but can I use your bathroom?” he smiled awkwardly, “I was nervous so I drank a lot of tea today and then I realized I was running late and I didn’t use the bathroom before I-“

“You were nervous?” I interrupted his rambling, “I mean go ahead.” I let him inside.

When he finished we walked to his car and I took a seat on the passenger’s side. His car smelled like cologne and coffee with a slight hint of cherries and was surprisingly very clean.

“Let’s go!” he smiled over at me and started the car. Rap music began to play through the speakers. He began mindlessly rapping along, thumping his fingers against the wheel.

“You’re really good.” I blushed.

He laughed, “Thanks, I want to go into the music business. I want to be a dancer as well.”

“I’ll have to see you dance sometime.” I looked at him. His ears were slightly tinted pink.

He scratched the back of his neck, “I think I can manage that.” he then turned to me, a smile tugging at his lips, “What do you want to do?”

I giggled, “That’s a secret.”

“Yah,” he pouted, “That’s not fair! I tell you my life aspirations and then you leave me dry.”

I rolled my eyes, “I want to go into international business.” I leaned against the window, “I want to travel.”

“Well let’s hope that you have some space in that suitcase for me.” he chuckled as we finally pulled up to the cinema.

“I dunno…” I giggled and got out the car.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Seunghoon and I walked in to find Jae Hyung jumping around and waving at us, “Over here!” he was yelling so loud that everyone was staring angrily at him.

“Yah!” I ran over to him and pushed his hands to his side, “Why are you so loud?”

“Did you miss me that much?” Jae Hyung wrapped his arms around me.

I rolled my eyes and pushed myself away.

“Don’t be that way, grumpy.” he ruffled my hair.

“Hey.” Seunghoon said flatly, his mood all of a sudden taking a tumble, “Let’s get going before the movie starts.”

Jae Hyung and I stared at each other and then at Seunghoon’s retreating figure. 

We walked into the theater and Jae Hyung pushed me next to Seunghoon. I slowly sat down next to him and the light dimmed. The movie was actually pretty scary, but Seunghoon seemed to be off on another planet or something because he just sat there. Jae Hyung on the other hand wouldn’t quit talking or grabbing onto my arm every two seconds.

“Did you see that?” “Why did he do that?” “Is that even legal?” 

By the end of the movie I was about as angry as Seunghoon was. 

“Well that was great?” Jae Hyung walked out like he didn’t have a care in the world, “Who’s up for some pizza?”

“I think I should head home, it’s getting late.” Seunghoon turned to go.

I sighed and turned to leave with him, “Bye Jae Hyung, I’ll text you later.”

Seunghoon stalked to his car and stopped in front of his door. I stopped as well as he just stood there.

“Seunghoon?” I tentatively took a step forward.

“Don’t.”

I stopped, “What’s wrong?”

“Why would you bring me along as a third wheel?” he finally turned to face me the lamp posts casting a soft glow on his features.

I shook my head, “Wait what?”

“I”m more than just a ride!” he threw up his hands in frustration.

“Of course you are.” I was really confused.

He sighed and sat down on the sidewalk, “I don’t want to be the chauffeur for your dates with your boyfriend.”
“Boyfriend?” I sat down next to him, “But-“
“I like you, ok?” He turned to face me.

My mouth fell open but no words came out.

“But you look so happy with Jae Hyung.” Seunghoon rested his arms on his knees.

I giggled.

He looked over at me and frowned, “This isn’t funny!”
“Jae Hyung is not my boyfriend!” I scooted closer, “I’m sorry, just the thought of that happening is hilarious! He’s like my brother.”

Seunghoon broke into a smile, “You don’t like him?”
I shook my head, “I like you.”

He jumped up and let out a yelp as he began running around. He ran over to me and picked me up, spinning my around.

I laughed as he set me down. He pulled me closer and wrapped his arms around my waist. I let my hands rest on his arms as he smiled down at me.

“Well you’re mine now so even if you wanted to date Jae-“

“Stop.” I giggled, “That’s not even an option.”
“Good.” he took my face in his hand and closed the gap between us. I happily slid my arms around his neck as I kissed him back.

“Now,” he rested his forehead on mine, “How about that pizza, but with just the two of us?”

“I thought it was getting late.” I poked his arm.

He pulled back and shrugged, “It was too late for all three of us to get pizza.”

I rolled my eyes and took his hand, “You goofball.”