Future

Spell It Out

"Babe, what's wrong?"

You hesitantly turn to look at your boyfriend laying on the bed, looking at you with curiosity and worry. You shouldn't have been surprised that he would catch on eventually that something was bothering you, since you had been sighing all morning.

"Nothing..." You say, unconvincingly trying not to look him in the eye, but it was just becoming more and more obvious now.

"Come on..." He says with a sigh before opening out his arms, inviting you to join him in bed for both of your favorite past-time activity: cuddling. "Come here..."

You tugged at the sleeves of the long sleeved pajamas you were still wearing before slowly moving your way towards the bed and scooting yourself comfortably into his arms, which quickly wrapped around you surrounding you with warmth and love.

"Tell me what's wrong, hm?" He says gently, his warm breath tickling your ear as your face was buried against his chest, suddenly embarrassed to even look at him with the thoughts running through your head.

You and your boyfriend, Seunghyun had been dating for five and a half years now and only recently started living together. Although it was only temporarily while he looked for his own place in the city, the big change had actually been stressing you out for days. All your friends, family, and co-workers have been asking the same question: "Are you guys going to get married?" and you had been giving them the same answer, "I don't know yet."

It seemed only natural for you two to get married after being together for so long, but as years, months, and days go by, the more that question started to bother you. Every little thing Seunghyun said or did, everything that you two talk about, suddenly became even more important to you. You loved spending every single moment together, living together, being able to wake up every morning to see his face. But you couldn't help but analyze it and lead it back to that same questions, "Will we get married" and "Will we work out".

And then it all came down to the final question: Does he feel the same?

"I... can't say." You answered, trying to hide your face. Half wanting to know his thoughts and feelings and half wanting to keep your troubles hidden away.

"Please, I want to work this out." He says while running his hand through your hair. Even though he sounded calm and gentle, you could tell by his gestures that he was nervous. "Did I do something wrong again?"

You shook your head violently, but kept your face hidden. You knew where his worry came from though, since you've been taken this living together thing so seriously, you had scolded and nagged him a couple of times about things around the house. Because once again, it reminded you about the future and married life.

"No, you didn't. But I just can't say..." You say again, "I don't want to... pressure you or make you freak out."

Seunghyun was never a fan of talking about the future, big commitments or anything. He was always an "in the moment" type of person, who focuses on things in the immediate future. Unlike you who was always daydreaming about your big day, having a family, living the rest of your life with that special person.

"It's okay. I promise you, I won't freak out." He says, reassuringly. You glance up at him for a bit and see a small smile at his lips. Something about that smile made you trust his words.

"I just... Remember the other day... I had told you I was taking these next few months really seriously... since this is a new step in our relationship... it... means new things..." You begin, unsure if you were using the right words, but Seunghyun nods, his full attention on you.

"Well... I just haven't been sure... if we are on... the same page..." You say purposely vague as it already feels like your stepping on forbidden ground.

"Same page?" He asks, his eyebrow raises a little and his smile grows a little bigger. "Like...?"

"Like... if we want the same thing for this relationship?"

"Well, what do you want?" He asks, knowing how much you hate it when he asks for your answer first.

You remain silent, wondering if it's okay to continue before speaking.

"Long-term." You answer and again bury your face into his chest, hoping his scent would comfort your racing heart.

You both remain silent as you hope he gets what you're trying to say without you actually saying 'the words'.

"What do you mean by long-term?" He finally asks, making you innerly curse yourself for even bringing it up. You knew what he was trying to do, just by the tone of his voice, you knew he knew what you were thinking.

"You know what I mean."

"No I don't."

"Do I have to spell it out for you?!"

"Yep. Or else I don't know what you're talking about." You snap your head up at him to shoot him a glare, only to be returned with a cheeky smile.

"Well, spell it out for me." He urges you on.

You let out a frustrated sigh as you think to yourself on how you can possibly say it. But a memory comes to mind of when Seunghyun first told you he loved you and how he wrote the letters one by one on your hand.

With hesitance, you lift your hand and stare at his chest like a blank canvas. Slowly, you draw an 'm' on his chest. You don't dare to look up at his face as you do this, too embarrassed and worried to see how he might react, even if it was a good reaction.

"Mmm..." He starts, signaling he recognizes the letter. You continue to draw an 'a' next.

"Massage?" He guesses next, "You want to give me a massage?"

You ignore his playfulness before writing the next letter, 'r'. You were just about to write the second one, but couldn't bring yourself to.

"That's as far as I'm going." You say, giving up halfway.

"March?" He continues, "You want to go marching? Do you want to march down the street together?"

You roll your eyes but can't help but laugh at how silly he was being. You were sure he knew what you were getting at, yet he was too stubborn to recognize it to simply end your suffering.

"Let's go marching then. I've heard it's great weather for that this season." He continues babbling on before you hit him lightly.

"Alright, alright!" You say with frustration before quickly drawing another 'r' on his chest.

"What was that?"

"What do you mean what was that?"

"You have to write it again, but you have to press backspace and re-do it." You could just hear the smile on his lips.

"What!"

"Come on, backspace!"

"Fine! Where's the backspace?" You play along, poking him hard all over his chest, recognizing his ticklish spots and going for them purposely as punishment.

"You got it! You got it!" He panics squirming while his hands wandered up your back to your own ticklish spot, ready to counter-attack but you quickly stop. "Now, write it again." 

You roll your eyes as you write the next letter 'r', slower this time for him to get it. You continue to the next letter 'i' and then 'a', but stop at his voice again.

"Do you know how to spell this word?" He suddenly asks, catching you off guard.

"What?! Of course I do." You answer but double check in your head, just in case.

"What did you write just now?"

"It was an 'a'!" You say defensively, but in the back of your mind you were now 100% sure he knew what you were spelling.

"I thought it was a 'd'. You have horrible handwriting." He teases again.

"I'm not continuing anymore! You know what I'm spelling!"

"No, you can't stop there. I have no idea what that is. If you don't continue we won't be on the same page." He says to urge you to continue.

Frustrated and embarrassed already you quickly write the last few letters of the word, 'g' and 'e' and pull your hand back to against your beating chest, signaling that you had finished.

Silence again welcomed you as you both just laid there, in his arms with only a clear view of his chest moving up and down. The silence was eating you up as your face grew hotter and hotter, waiting for ANYTHING from him.

"Argh, never mind! Just forget it, I'm deleting what I wrote!" You cry out in frustration as you lift your finger to press imaginary buttons all over his chest again. But suddenly, his hand meet yours grasping it tightly while flipping you over onto your back, with him on top of you before his lips met yours.

Your eyes immediately flutter to a close, enjoying the sudden surprise kiss from him. The kiss was gentle but needy, as if he had been waiting to do that for ages. His fingers entangled with both of your hands as he deepened the kiss.

When he pulled away, you felt like you were put into a trance as your body was nothing but warmth and a tingling feeling. You stared up into his eyes that were looking down at you, memorizing your face for the millionth time and this moment.

"We're on the same page." He whispers with a smile before returning his lips to where they will always belong... against yours.