V-Day Special: The Language of Flowers

Love will be love

Ah, it's been a while hasn't it? I just finished taking my first exams in my classes! I did well thank goodness! Anyway, I had time to write something for Valentine's Day (1865 words). I hope you guys like it! Oh, and it's not part of the tropes, sorry! I'll get to those soon. But I wanted to give you guys something for V-Day!!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Language of Flowers 

Daehyun sighed as he looked at the flower shop across his own music store. It was odd all right, having a flower shop across his store that usually played hard rock through its speakers. It was such a harsh contrast. And his first and only fear was that whoever owned the shop would tell him to lower down the volume because like hell he would lower the volume on his music. He would never.

 

Daehyun had been preparing a whole argument as to why he wouldn’t and shouldn’t turn down the volume of his music with the unknown florist when a guy around his age entered the shop with a small smile and a shy look. Daehyun immediately registered that he was attractive. Extreme attractive. Ridiculously attractive. Black hair, kind eyes, a soft mouth and firm jaw, and a cute mole on the bridge of his nose. He was an inch or two shorter than Daehyun himself but was definitely more muscular, the simple white cotton shirt amazingly showing off his upper physique and the washed out blue jeans that clung to his frame revealed that he must run or do something as physically exerting to have such nice thighs.

 

“Uh, hello”, he said softly as he walked further into his shop. Daehyun nodded and smiled, wanting to answer but his tongue feeling like dead weight in his mouth. “I’m moving right across from your music store. I’m opening the flower shop…” he trailed off awkwardly. Daehyun had started to wonder why the other had stop talking when he realized it was because he had been simply staring without giving any feedback at all. But it’s just. Wow. He could have heard that soft voice forever.

 

“Oh, yeah! Um, well, nice to meet you neighbor! My name is Daehyun”, Daehyun said as he extended a hand. His new neighbor took his hand; it felt rough and warm under his own. “Hi, Daehyun, I’m Jongup and I’m gay”. Daehyun spluttered at the blunt statement. Did Jongup know he was checking him out? “I’m just letting you know because I’ve had people give me trouble for my preference and since we’re going to be neighbors for at least eight hours, I’d like to get along with you”, Jongup explained. “Oh, oh, okay, yeah, no problem on my part. I’m bi myself so, yeah”, Daehyun replied quickly. Jongup smiled beautifically at him and looked relieved. Daehyun immediately hoped that anyone who had given to Jongup would never get to eat cheesecake and only drank grape juice for the rest of their lives. Jongup was handsome and straightforward and adorable and Daehyun felt smitten. He wanted to kiss that smile. It was so silly that he wanted to do that, he barely even knew him, but he wanted to know what that smile felt like pressed against his lips.

 

“Well, I have to, you know, head back and set up for tomorrow”, Jongup said as he let go of his hand. “Yeah, sure, okay. If you want any help, I’ll be here if you need me”, Daehyun offered. Jongup gave him another smile and started to walk away only to stop at the door of his store. “Oh, and the music,” Daehyun felt his stomach drop, this was where Jongup told him to turn it down, “I love LedZep”, Jongup said as he waved good-bye leaving a stunned and completely enamored Daehyun behind.

 

Daehyun was floored back then. Daehyun is still floored. And today was the day he planned to do something about his feelings, about his half a year worth of feelings. Today was the day. Not like yesterday that was supposed to be The Day and it wasn’t. Today was The Day for real. He had it all planned out. He just hoped Jongup wouldn’t be too tired during his break. Daehyun had seen how busy it had been all day since it was Valentine’s Day. He hoped it would work too. He hoped Jongup reciprocated his feelings. Since the first day that Jongup opened his shop, him and Daehyun had been having their brake together, sharing food or going out for lunch. And Daehyun just hoped Jongup saw him as more than a good friend.

 

It was an hour until their lunch break and Daehyun just had to remain calm. He had done his homework and hopefully Jongup understood what he was trying to say. Just 30 more minutes to go and Daehyun would be in Jongup’s shop showing him how he feels. 15 minutes and Daehyun feels his heart beating in his chest and every breath that enters and leaves his lungs. 10 minutes and Daehyun starts putting his food containers inside the cute little pink basket Jongup gave him for whenever he came over with lunch. 5 minutes and Daehyun is turning the sign from ‘Open’ to ‘Come back in 1 hour, thank you’, locking his door, and heading to Jongup’s flower shop.

 

Daehyun tapped on Jongup’s window where Jongup was standing behind the cash register with the last customer before his break started. Jongup turned to look at him and gave him a cheerful smile even though Daehyun knew he was having a hectic day. Daehyun went into the shop and heard the man thanking Jongup profusely.

 

Jongup sighed heavily as soon as he locked his door and turned over his sign. “You need any help?” Daehyun asked as he took out the food contained from the basket. “Thanks, Dae, but it’s okay. I knew Valentine’s Day was going to be horrible if I didn’t prepare beforehand, so I let everyone know that I’d only be doing special bouquets if I were told within a week of the holiday. So it’s been mostly bringing arrangements to the customers or helping them choose flower arrangements I already have done”, Jongup said conversationally. Daehyun chuckled at Jongup’s ingenious idea. That was truly a bright way of dealing with the holiday. “Very smart, Jongup. Now, come on and eat. I made killer chicken salad sandwiches, I even bought chocolate covered strawberries for us on the occasion,” Daehyun said as he patted the spot in front of him. Jongup laughed and shook his head but sat down in front of him.

 

“Whoa! These are the best chicken salad sandwiches I’ve ever had”, Jongup said halfway between a soft groan. Daehyun quickly felt his face heat up at the sound Jongup made. “Th – thanks,” Daehyun stammered. They continued eating, Jongup complementing his sandwiches with more godly sounds while Daehyun's face got warmer and warmer.

 

Once they were finished with the sandwiches, Daehyun took a deep breath to prepare himself to put his plan ‘Today is The Day’ into motion. “Uh, Jongup, I know you said you were only doing special bouquets with an advanced week’s notice but I was wondering if I could bother you with the favor of doing one for me,” Daehyun asked shyly. Jongup raised his eyebrows at him and he almost backed out again. “Right now?” Jongup asked curiously. “Uh, yeah, if it isn’t much of a bother,” Daehyun answered. Jongup stared pensively at him for a moment before smiling and nodding in agreement. “No problem. So, who’s the lucky girl?” Jongup asked as he stood up. “Oh, um, it’s not a girl…it’s a boy,” Daehyun said as he stood up as well, watching Jongup’s expression. Jongup’s expression didn’t change…he just hummed.

 

“Well, what a lucky boy. What would you like? Or do you want for me to help you out?” Jongup asked in business mode. “Oh, just some flowers in a bouquet sleeve if you don’t mind,” Daehyun answered feeling nervous. Jongup nodded as he grabbed a clear flower bouquet sleeve. “Okay, do you know what flowers you’d like?” Jongup asked. Daehyun nodded quickly before telling Jongup what flowers he’d like. He also sent a quick prayer to whatever god was listening that Jongup understood his underlying message.

 

“I’d like two white and two yellow Chrysanthemums, two red and two white Roses, and two yellow and two red Tulips”, Daehyun rattled off the flowers from memory. Jongup chuckled as he moved around his shop and carefully picked each flower that Daehyun had asked for. “Wow, what a bouquet of flowers you’ve chosen,” Jongup said wistfully. Daehyun felt giddy at the response because that meant Jongup knew the meaning of the flowers. “Would you like for me to tell you what they mean?” Jongup asked as he handed over the flowers to Daehyun. “I – I know what they mean. I chose them specifically for their meaning,” Daehyun answered shakily. He saw Jongup’s surprised expression and the smile on his lips. “Oh, well, then I was right, he’s quite the lucky one,” Jongup said softly.

 

Daehyun chuckled nervously as he realized Jongup didn’t understand that the flowers were for him. All he had to do now was tell him for whom they were. “The white Chrysanthemums represent truth and the yellow ones represent a secret admirer, the red Roses represent love and the white ones purity,” Daehyun took a deep breath before continuing, “the yellow Tulips mean hopelessly in love and – and the red ones mean a declaration of love.” Daehyun slowly offered the bouquet of flowers to Jongup.

 

Jongup simply stared at the bouquet of flowers with a confused look. “I will be the lucky one if you accept the bouquet,” Daehyun murmured shyly. Daehyun saw the moment Jongup understood what he was trying to say because his eyes widen in surprise, his high cheekbones tinged pink, and his lips parted as he gasped softly. Jongup his heel and headed for the back of his shop. “Oh”, Daehyun exhaled in shock as he lowered the bouquet of flowers and rejection filled his whole body. Daehyun was about to run out of the flower shop when Jongup came back with a single flower in his hand. It was purple and bell-shaped and small compared to the rest of the flowers in the shop.

 

Jongup grabbed Daehyun’s hand and placed the single flower in it and reached for the bouquet. “That’s a Gloxinia. It means love at first sight,” Jongup explained as he blushed. “The proper flower to give you in return would be Ambrosia which means ‘I reciprocate your love’ but that’s a dangerous flower.”

 

Daehyun stayed quiet as he stared at the purple Gloxinia in his hand. He felt the cold feeling of rejection being chased away by the warm feeling that was happiness. “So does that mean that – that you feel the same way? Really?” Daehyun wondered out loud. Jongup chuckled and stepped closer to Daehyun. “Yes, really,” he answered sincerely.

 

Daehyun pulled Jongup closer to him, wrapping one arm around his waist and using his free hand to tilt Jongup’s chin up. He could see Jongup blush and feel his arms around his neck and the bouquet resting lightly against his back. Daehyun looked into Jongup’s warm brown eyes for a few more seconds before moving in to kiss him. Jongup’s lips were soft against his own slightly chapped ones, they were warm and addicting as they moved against his, and Daehyun couldn’t help but sigh in content. He felt Jongup smile against his lips and he lingered just enough to savor the moment a bit longer before parting and looking at that beautiful smile.

 

 “I really am the luckiest guy in the world,” Daehyun whispered lovingly earning a small kiss from Jongup. “I think I might know someone who's just a bit more lucky than you are,” Jongup replied playfully. Daehyun laughed before kissing Jongup again just like he'd been wanting to since they first met.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I hope you guys enjoyed it! Happy valentine's day y'all!!

Daehyun's Flowers:

      

Yellow and White Chrysanthemum

      

Red And White Rose

     

Red and Yellow Tulips

Jongup's Flower(s):

Purple gloxinia

Pink Ambrosia (it really is poisonous so yeah)