Music Box Ballerina

Music Box Ballerina - Hoya

A single song stayed on repeat for the last few hours as your little daughter, Kate, danced her routine over and over again. Wanting to be extra prepared for her ballet recital, she was one of the hardest working four year olds that had mastered the dance that her instructor had taught the class.

Standing by the sink, you washed the dishes while you glanced up and watched your daughter go over the moves time and time again. Dedication and passion for dance were evident in Kate’s moves, as she grew you saw more of Hoya in her as you couldn’t help but have your heart swell with pride.

"Mommy, how was that?" She asked pushing away her black hair with her hand so it was out of her face.

"That was lovely! I always love watching you dance" You remarked honestly, "Come and get a drink okay?"

"Okay" Kate cooed while she turned off the cd that her instructor gave her to practice at home and trotted over to the counter, climbing up on the bar stools, she knelt on the cushions while she grabbed her water bottle and sipped the water slowly while she caught her breath.

"Mommy?" Kate asked softly between sips of water.

"Yes, sweetie?" You kept your eyes down in the bubbles before looking up at her.

"Do you think that Daddy would want to come to my recital tonight?" She questioned in the sweetest voice that just melted your heart.

"I know he would!" You nodded your head as she smiled from ear to ear.

"Great! I am going to make him something before he comes home." Kate beamed and climbed down from the bar stool, walking into the pantry she grabbed a box full of crayons and a pad of blank paper before she sat on the couch humming to the songs that were on another disc that Hoya gave her so she could always dance to different genre’s of songs.

Working diligently on the picture, you dried the plates and put them away. Grabbing your phone off of the counter, you glanced over at your daughter before texting Hoya.

Can you come home early today?

Why? Is there something wrong? - H

Kate just has something she wants you to attend tonight.

You typed not wanting to ruin the surprise.

Okay, I will be home as soon as I can XOXOX - H

Smiling down at the screen, you looked up in your upper right hand corner and saw the time.

"Kate, time to go get you bathed so we can do your ballerina bun~" You let the screen go dark on your phone before you set it back down on the counter.

"Okay, just let me finish this one thing first." She replied looking down at her paper before she slid from the couch and rested the paper on the floor as you walk into the home. "Now Daddy will be surprised."

Helping your daughter washed and cleaning her hair, you quickly pulled her hair into a ponytail and made a perfect ballerina bun before she got dressed. Walking to her room with a towel around her body, you helped her put on her white stockings and her pink leotard, wrapping the base of her bun with a purple scrunchie, you helped her get her purple and white tutu on as well.

"I’m home!" Hoya called from the door as he saw the note, he read it with a smile. "Girls~, where are you?" He called from the doorway and slipping off his shoes.

"My room" Kate called loudly while you helped her put on her slight makeup. Hearing her dad’s footsteps get closer she looked over at the doorway.

"Stop, don’t come in!" She called loudly as you heard a chuckle from the other side of the door.

"Why not, princess?" Hoya asked trying to sneak a look.

"It is bad luck to see me before tonight" She calls while you looked over at the door earning a laugh from her dad.

"I thought that is only for weddings" He called as you laughed, shaking your head at him.

"Meet us in the living room" You replied

"Okay, but to answer your question that you left me on the front step. I would love to come" Hoya slowly walked back down the hall and sat on the couch while waiting for his little dancer to come out.

"Mommy?" Kate turned around after you were finished with her light makeup. "Do I look pretty?"

"Very pretty" You nodded as you looked at your daughter with her adorable outfit. Stepping down from the stool, she took your two fingers in her hand and walked with you out to the living room.

Hoya turned around and looked at you, who was blocking his view from Kate.

"Come on out Kate" You pulled her arm while her little body moved from behind your legs, Hoya knelt down on one knee while his jaw dropped at the cute sight. Kate’s small legs in white tights as her small feet were in pink ballet slippers.

"How did I get so lucky with a beautiful angel for a daughter" Hoya opened his arms as Kate happily ran into his arms.

"So you are coming then Daddy?" She asked while he held her in his arms, standing to his feet.

"I wouldn’t miss it" He kissed her cheek gently before all three of you headed out of the door to go see her recital.

The velvet seats were slightly comfortable while the houselights started to dim and the spotlights were on the stage.

"This is different being on this side" Hoya leaned over and whispered to you as you nodded.

"Now you can feel what it is like to be a fan" You giggled

Act after act Hoya waited for his little daughter to come on the stage. Clapping after each one, he was silently judging all of their dance skills. Fading the lights onto the stage, you watched the little silhouettes of five little girls holding hands, enter stage right. 

Getting in their places, the lights came on while the music began to play, instantly picking out Kate, he smiled and moved in his seat while he watched his daughter pirouette on her toes and spin around, then run in a circle with her other classmates. Being the only one that looked like she practiced, you glanced over at Hoya. The soft lights gently lit up his face while you watched a tear shed from his eyes and roll down his cheeks. Sliding your hand gently into his, he held your hand tightly while your thumb moved over his fingers. Looking back at your daughter, she bowed then struck her pose at the end and held her other classmates’ hands before they exited the stage.

"She was so perfect" Hoya’s voice softly cracked from the proud emotions that he was feeling.

Watching the other performances, the recital came to a close as Hoya bought a little single rose for his little girl. Coming out from backstage, she ran into his arms once again.

"You did so good, my little dancer" He hugged her tightly as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I am glad that you liked it! I tried really hard and practiced a lot!" She proudly pointed out.

"It showed, my angel, it did" Hoya kissed her cheek with a bright smile on his face. "We got this for you" He held out the flower as her brown eyes twinkled.

"Thank you Mommy and Daddy~" She kissed both of your cheeks with a smile before the three of you walked back out to the car.

After a long drive home, you glanced back at your daughter while she slept soundly in her car seat, gently holding the flower in her hands while some of her hairs came out from her tight bun.

"She reminds me so much of you" You whispered to Hoya as he nodded.

"More you than me though" Hoya corrected taking your hand in his.

Reaching home, he parked the car before leaning over and kissing your lips lovingly.

"I’ll take her inside" Hoya whispered into your lips before kissing you a few more times.

"Okay, love" You whispered back before he got out of the car and lifted his lips into his arms.

Pushing the door open, he walked into her bedroom and gently changed her into her purple nightgown before he released her hair from the tight bun. Placing her on her bed and pulling the covers over her, he knelt down beside her bed.

"I love you, my music box ballerina." He leaned and kissed her forehead before taking in her sleeping figure. "I am so proud of you"