Final

Spring Showers

Furukawa Airi loved and hated spring showers, it was during a spring shower that she met her first love. It was during a spring shower that her first love broke her heart. It was during a spring shower that she met her first love again. And it was during a spring shower that she fell in love with her first love all over again.

Airi decided to take a walk during a spring shower, Airi opened up her umbrella and walked along the pavement. Airi admired how the rain seemed to wash off the pavement and shop windows, making them look brand new. Airi walked along the pavement until she stopped by a field of flowers. Airi felt nostalgic as she used to pick flowers from this very field when she was younger. And it was also where she met her first love for the first time.

"Airin?" Asked a voice which Airi could never forget.

Airi silently prayed that it wasn't who she thought it was, because only one person called her Airin. Airi slowly looked up and came face to face with her childhood friend and first love, Arioka Daiki.

Daiki's face broke into a smile, "So it is you, I haven't seen you for so long. How have you been?"

"Yeah, we haven't met ever since I confessed to you." Thought Airi.

"Yeah, we haven't met ever since our high school graduation. I can't believe it's been ten years." Nodded Airi.

"I never knew you lived in this neighbourhood." Said Daiki.

"I just moved here a couple of weeks ago, I just returned from America. I currently work from home. What about you?" Shrugged Airi.

"Shall we go and grab a coffee and catch up? Or do you want to keep standing in the rain?" Suggested Daiki.

"Um, sure." Airi heard herself say.

Daiki led her to a cozy cafe nearby and to her surprise, she found Okamoto Keito at the counter making coffee. Okamoto Keito was her old friend and high school classmate.

"Okamoto-kun, it's been a while." Said Airi, softly.

Keito nodded, "It's nice to see you again, Airi-chan."

"Why don't you take a seat while I make us some coffee?" Suggested Daiki.

Keito led Airi to an empty booth and Airi took her seat. Keito took her umbrella to be dried. Airi looked out of the window and stared at the raindrops falling down the window surface. Soon, Daiki came over with two cups of coffee. But Airi didn't notice him setting the cups down on the table, she was still deep in thought.

"Latte is still your favourite right?" Asked Daiki.

Airi realised that there was a cup of latte in front of her before she nodded. It surprised Airi how much her taste in coffee hadn't changed much. Airi never drank black coffee during her university and early post-grad days, even though she struggled to finish her work on time.

Airi took a small sip, "It's nice, it's not too sweet nor is it too bitter."

Daiki grinned, "Glad that you liked it."

"So, this is your cafe?" Asked Airi?

Daiki nodded, "Keito and I went to the same university, we opened this place after we both graduated."

Airi glanced around the place, the whole cafe gave off a very homely feel which made their customers feel at home. There weren't many customers at this time due to the spring shower.

"What are you doing right now?" Asked Daiki.

"I'm a fashion designer, but I mainly work from home here in Japan. My company's main Japanese branch is in Shibuya while the headquarters are in America." Replied Airi.

Daiki nodded and a rather uncomfortable silence came upon them. It didn't take a stranger to know that there was a rather thick tension between Daiki and Airi.

"I'm sorry, I guess it's my fault that things are so awkward between us." Said Daiki, softly.

"No, it was my fault. For falling for you." Said Airi, avoiding Daiki's gaze.

It wasn't a secret that Airi liked Daiki back in high school, but Daiki didn't view Airi has "girlfriend material" but like a sister instead. Daiki had gently rejected Airi's confession but that didn't stop the tension between them from getting thicker.

"Are you seeing anyone right now?" Asked Daiki.

Airi shook her head, "Never had the time to."

Daiki smiled slightly, "Then give me a chance."

"What?" Murmured Airi.

"Give me a chance to let "us" work out." Said Daiki.

Airi's eyes narrowed in anger, "Dai-chan, if you are feeling sorry that you rejected me back then, then don't bother. I don't want to date someone who dates me just because they feel guilty."

"But I'm not!" Protested Daiki.

"You are! And if you forgot, Dai-chan, I can read you like a book." Said Airi.

"And how can you tell that when you aren't even looking into my eyes?" Asked Daiki.

Airi flinched internally, and Airi felt a tear slip out from her eye. Airi knew that Daiki noticed it too as he reached out and cleaned away her tear with his hand.

"I thought I finally could forget about my past but then here you come again walking right into my life. It's not fair! I spent nearly ten years trying to forget everything and all it takes is one second for you to ruin it all." Said Airi, shakily.

Daiki quickly got out of his seat and sat beside Airi. Daiki brought Airi into his embrace, making Airi release the tears that she had been holding back for the past ten years. Daiki knew that it was his fault, but all he could do now was to lend Airi a shoulder to cry on. Airi cried her heart out not because Daiki had asked her to give him a chance, okay maybe it was part of the reason. But the main reason was that Daiki just made Airi fall in love with him all over again when she had been trying so hard to forget her feelings him for the past ten years.

"Airin, will you give me chance to seriously pursue you?" Asked Daiki.

Airi didn't know how she should answer the question. One part of her wanted to accept it but another part of her argued that Daiki was just feeling sorry and guilty for rejecting her ten years ago. Physically, Airi felt safe in Daiki's embrace and she knew that Daiki wouldn't hurt her in anyway. But Airi wondered if Daiki really had feelings for her or was he just feeling guilty for rejecting her.

"Only if you promise me something." Airi heard herself say.

"What is it?" Asked Daiki.

"Promise me that you will be honest with me and that you won't be guilty that you would hurt me again, if you have found someone else." Said Airi.

"I can promise that I will be honest with you but I can't promise you the second condition." Said Daiki.

But before Airi could interrupt Daiki continued speaking.

"Because I will never find someone else, you are the only one that I want." Said Daiki.

"Dai-chan." Murmured Airi.

Airi felt her heart thumping wildly.

"So what's your answer?" Asked Daiki.

Airi slowly nodded her head, "Yes."

Daiki smiled and hugged Airi closer to him. For some strange reason, Airi felt complete. Airi gave a small smile and settled into Daiki's embrace.