Skin

Think of...Lucy

 

"Beauty is only skin deep..."


 

“You’re doing right Lucy”, Taeyeon commented on the child beside her.

 

 

“Like this eonnie?”,

 

She asked as she continue massaging the lower leg of her friend trying to show to the lady how she do it.

Taeyeon just nodded as a response.

 

She’s doing it in the softest, smoothest, easiest, gentlest that she could ever do. She was oh so careful not put too much pressure on the areas as instructed by Taeyeon.

Her tiny hands were a little sore and tired but she’s doing her hardest ‘coz she can only do this once in a while.

 

 

“Then later we will turn her on her right, okay?” Taeyeon said picking up the basin with half full of warm water and shifted on the other side of the bed.

“You heard it Cho hee, you’ll gonna see the sky later”, Lucy whispered to her friend’s ear.

“Lucy what are you whispering in there?” Taeyeon asked while sponging the back of the sleeping kid.

“Nothing much eonnie… I told Cho hee that she’ll see the sky later”, she answered while pointing her index finger on the windowpane that shows the beautiful blue sky outside.

Taeyeon turned her head to the side to see the outside view and truly the sky was so clear, so blue, and so beautiful,

“Oh I see” then she smiled to the little kid.

 

“Eonnie let’s make her stay like that”, she mumbled

“Huh, what do you mean?”Taeyeon questioned

“I want Cho hee to see the outside much longer, so let’s leave her like that facing the window”, she said taking a quick look on the lady while massaging the feet part of the kid.

“Nah, we can’t do that” she quickly replied

The child stopped on her massage then looked up to the lady. With obvious confused look on her face, furrowed eyebrows, smile left her face then she started to say,

 

“But why eonnie? That’s unfair!” she whined.

Feeling a little bit disappointed, she knew how Cho hee been missing to see the outside and she wants to grant it but then how come her eonnie bring her hope down that instantly. It was the best time to show to Cho hee the beauty of the outside, and she’s planning on doing it together with her.

 

“No it’s not unfair, well in fact that’s the right thing to do” Taeyeon said as she change the clothes of the sleeping kid, she was almost done with her morning bath and thanks to the little kid with her she wasn’t feel all tired, bored and exhausted.

Lucy accompanied her throughout the morning care.

 

“Right thing to do?!” Lucy asked confusedly. Taeyeon nodded her head as a response also.

“Let me tell you this, Cho hee can still see the sky but with a limited time only. Patient’s like in her condition should be turning every two hours” she started to explain

“Cho hee should turn her body on the other side after every two hours?” Lucy questioned but almost getting the point of the lady. That was part of nursing care actually.

“No, not Cho hee herself, but us, we will turn her every now and then” she answered

“Ah, but why is it eonnie?” she questioned again.

She gets it, Cho hee could still see the sky, the outside, but she just have to bear all the turning schedules and wait for every two hours to pass.

“Because we have to protect her” Taeyeon said then chuckled to the nonstop questions she’s receiving from the kid.   

This time Lucy done with her massage, she too massaged her tired hands as she sat on the edge of the bed staring back to the lady.

“Protect from where eonnie?” she asked feeling a little bit tired.

“Protect from injury, from wounds…something like that Lucy” she paused then sat beside the kid “When we turn the patient regularly it reduces the chance or reduce the intensity of bed sores. Bed sores are areas of the body that form sores because a person has been in one position too long and there is not enough circulation, thus causing areas of the skin to die” she finished then stand up again to check the monitoring apparatus hooked on the sleeping kid.

“Die?! I don’t want Cho hee’s skin to die!” Lucy hissed then jumped down on her feet then went to her friend’s ear again, whispering something again.

 

 

 

Taeyeon finished her morning bath for Cho hee around seven in the morning. She still has another patient to attend to, so she asked Lucy if she could go back to her room too but instead the child requested to stay further in her friend’s room.

 

“Ok but I’ll just ask Ms. Jung to look after you… and remember they can’t see you here” She said and winked to the child, then walked over the door leaving the sleeping child and Lucy alone inside the room.

 

 

Lucy, having all the time alone with her dear friend, she looked around the room for something her to do. But to her dismay she can’t find anything else besides the hospital’s properties.

She scanned again the room. It was dull, plain and lonely. Though she gets used with the plain white color of the place but the strange feeling it gives to her, doesn’t change at all.

 

 

“How could you stay here this long Cho hee? Aren’t you sad?” she questioned to the sleeping kid.

She went back to the bed but didn’t sit there. She put the chair next to the head board close to her friend’s face. Her gaze diverted from her sleeping friend into the windowpane, looking on the outside view. Cho hee already placed on her right side, so she’s almost facing the window pane too.

“I told you Cho hee you’ll see the sky today... so let’s enjoy it, okay?”She smiled then looked onto her sleeping friend again.

She stared her for a couple of minutes. She observed her thin face, her closed eyes, that was slightly open with the tubes that were hooked from , to her nose, until to her limbs. She noticed how pale she is, her skin was a little bit dry, her lips was chopped, her nails were cracked and pale too, and she was bald. Her breathing was shallow, labored, and so weak, so weak that only the beeping of the machine was loud enough to hear.

She felt bad, she felt weak, and she felt pity seeing her friend like this. She knew that she’s suffering but as long as she’s still breathing in there, she knew that she’s fighting.

Lucy quickly closed her eyes and then sighed heavily,

 

“How was it Cho hee? Do you like it?” she asked referring to the sky, to the view outside then forced a smile, until something came up with her mind.

“Cho hee I’ll tell you something!, I just watched the newest episode of Sakura, and you know what she get this time, ah! No, she didn’t get it actually, Shaoran did, but it was a great episode, the card they captured was so strong, it was Time card!”She started with her story telling.

 

When Cho hee was still awake and haven’t been in a coma, the two of them frequently watched this Anime show. It was their favorite cartoon.

Lucy really love Sakura’s character, she said she admire how Sakura bravely face her enemies and her determination to collect the Clow Cards. Though she’s young  just like her but Sakura had been in many fights, battles, adventures and in all of that she was victorious. Lucy somehow envies that. While Cho hee likes Tomoyo’s character, she said just like Tomoyo to Sakura, she’ll be Lucy’s friend forever; she’ll be with her side all the time. If given a chance she’ll make clothes and costumes too for Lucy and it’s her joy to see Lucy wearing her works.

But unlike them, Sakura and Tomoyo are both healthy kids. They can do a lot of things without limitations. They can go to school, they can attend to school’s festivals, they can enjoy the playground, and they can go to beach and play with the water and make sand castles. They can buy ice cream anytime they want, they can freely ride the bike, they can skate, they can swim, they can do shopping, and they can compete. All of that, they’re capable of doing what a normal kid can do and should experience but them, the two of them, they can only dream and wish for that.

 

“With time card you can go back to the past. You can be with the person you love, just like Sakura’s brother, he had a girlfriend and that was Sakura’s teacher! Wow, Surprising isn’t Cho hee? So sweet!” she recalled then giggled to herself.

“Cho hee I want to barrow the Time card from Sakura, I’m gonna use it so that I could go back to the time when you were still awake, so we can play and watch Sakura together again!... just like before” she talked to her friend with emptiness in her heart. She then caressed her friend’s head, looking at her longingly. She wasn’t sad at all, she just really missed her friend and the things they usually do together.

“Cho hee please wake up soon... no, I mean very soon!, you’re missing a lot with Sakura’s episodes and I worried that I can’t share it with you all the time, you know I can’t be here all the time, so please wake up fast”, she struggle to say.

Then she heaved a heavy sigh, shifted on her position but never left her stare with her friend.

She just observed her features again, her state and followed her friend’s chest rise and fall.

There was nothing for her to do now, and anytime time soon Ms. Jung will be here to change Cho hee’s position, so she thought of leaving the room.

 

 

“Cho hee I think this will be all for today, I will come again next time... promise” She smiled then patted her friend’s head again while her other hand squeezed the cold hands of her sleeping friend.

“Bye Cho hee, rests well and just enjoy the view outside until Ms. Jung comes, okay?” She hugged goodbye her friend this time.

 

Lucy reached the door and was about to open the knob but there was a sudden sound came from the outside, voices to be exact.

Lucy gasped at that moment because she knew where it was coming from.

 

“Oh no! The Doctors are here!” she worriedly blurted out. She looked back at her friend as if informing the girl of the upcoming trouble.

Lucy let go on the knob and scanned the room to where she could possibly hide.

There’s no way that the Doctors could see her in there, it is prohibited, and surely it will cause a great trouble and problem not just for her but mostly to Taeyeon.

She was agitated looking for a place to hide. She tried under the bed but she can be seen easily, ‘coz the blanket doesn’t reach the floor. She tried on the curtain but of course that will be easier for them to see her and that’s very obvious. She was almost about to give up, she wasn’t prepared for this day. They came earlier than the usual time they supposed to be here. She can’t help but to get panic.

Until her eyes catch a glimpse on the door on her right, it was the bathroom, how come she didn’t notice it a while ago. So without wasting any time she hurriedly went inside the bathroom and hold still on the knob, securing that it will not get open.

 

Moments later, she heard the main door creaked open, signaling the Doctors arrival.

The voices were louder this time, and she knew they were already settled inside.

Her heart beats faster than the usual, sweats start to form in her forehead, she felt her body heat up, her tiny hands were slightly shaking... she worried that they might caught her inside. And she doesn’t have any idea what might happen if they see her in there.

 

She heard some commotions from the Doctors, as if they were arguing of something. She can’t help but to eavesdrop in their conversation. She peep through it, she slightly opened the door, just enough for her to see them, and attentively listen to their talks. But what she can only hear was incomprehensive words, medical words she thought. She can’t understand what exactly they’re talking about but she was sure it was something to do with Cho hee’s condition.

She examined the persons inside, she barely knew them, seems she haven’t seen them before, they look strangers to her eyes,

“Are they new Doctors here?” she mumbled to herself.

Until her eyes landed on the only person inside she knew. She didn’t expect him to be with them but her heart was suddenly felt at ease knowing that there was someone whom she could trust. Having him in there, there was nothing to fear about, nothing to worry at all.

Then she giggled inwardly seeing the man again,

 

 

 

 

“Dr. Oppa!” she shouted in her mind as if he can hear her.

 

 


New chap.^^

Nursing care 101, i guess???^^

~Someone call the Doctor... exo jungdok...^^