Prologue

Valentine's Vexation

~Yun Hee POV~

My fingers tapped rapidly on my computer keyboard. I was checking for updates of manga on a website. Seeing that there were none that I was interested in, I checked the time in the corner. 7:42 PM.

                I regrettably got out of my warm sanctuary of a bed and walked out into the hall until stopping at the top of the stairs. “I’m going to take a shower!” I yelled to notify my mother and grandmother in the living room. Their response suggested that neither had to use the bathroom.

                Continuing my task, I pushed the already ajar door of the room next to mine open more. The room belonged to my twin sister, Jiyoung. Although our faces look alike, we have some differences in our appearances. My hair is longer than hers, reaching just above my rear whilst hers doesn’t even touch her shoulders. She also prefers to wear glasses compared to my contacts. I’m not too sure of the alterations in our personality. My mother says that Jiyoung is more sensitive and gets irritated easier than I do. She also thinks I am a little friendlier and kinder towards people, as well.

                Peering inside, I noticed that she was on her laptop and listening to her mp3 player sitting up on her bed facing slightly away. She hadn’t heard me enter. I took a minute to watch her for a moment. Her hair was perfectly positioned, her eyes were wide open, and was in a straight line. She looked cute. Jiyoung finally noticed that I was at the doorway. She took out her ear bud.

                “What? Did you say something?”

                “I’m going to take a shower.” I saw her look at the time on the screen.

                “Wait, Yun Hee. We should make chocolates together for everyone and… stuff...” she hopefully asked. The day after tomorrow was St. Valentine’s Day. Neither of us has ever made chocolates before, but this year was different. I had someone to make them for.

                “I already made some,” I frowned.

                “What? When? How did you learn how to make it?”

                “The other day or so from Karam. He told me what to do.” Karam was one of Jiyoung’s classmates and crush since the beginning of the school year. (He was also a great cook which is why I would naturally go to him for lessons.) Jiyoung and Karam became close friends in such a short time after the school year started. You could tell that he has the same feelings for her as she does for him. Sometimes, when Jiyoung isn’t around, I intentionally mention her name to see him blush and become quieter than usual. He also happened to be in a music group called Dae Guk Nam Ah with my current boyfriend Mika, whom I would give the chocolates to. Actually, I met Mika and the rest of the members through Karam. They’re popular among the females in school because of their talent and good looks. “Ask him if he can help you, too. Maybe you could bake it together,” I added. I came up with the plan on the spot.

I love to play matchmaker, even though I completely at it most of the time. This one was fool proof, though. I play out the idea in my head. Karam and Jiyoung would be making chocolates together, and then he’ll ask her who the chocolates are for, and then she’ll tell him that they’re gratitude sweets for everyone, and then he’ll be, like, “E-even for me?” and then she’ll be, like, “N-no,” and then he’ll be, like, “What? No?” and then she’ll be, like, “Yours are confessional chocolates,” and then they’ll blush and look each other in the eyes, and- oh! It’ll just be so cute!

~Jiyoung POV~

“Well, can you help me make them, then?” I begged. I can’t make chocolates for Karam with Karam!

                I waited for Yun Hee’s reply. Her eyes were unfocused, and she was smiling like an idiot. I became annoyed. “Are you listening to me?” I snapped. She does this often.

                She refocused her attention and stared at me, pretending not to be confused. “Yeah.”

                “What did I say then?” I scowled, knowing she was lying.

                “You said, uh, that you would do it?” She questioned with a guessing face.

                “No. I told you to help me.”

                “Oh… With what?” She squinted her eyes and made an ‘O’ shape with in a puzzled manner.

                “Hug the cat, stupid,” I said sarcastically. “Help me make the chocolates.”

                “Eh? I can’t. I’m going to spend tomorrow with Mika, and Valentine’s Day is the day after. Anyway, I’m going to take a shower now. Just ask Karam to make some with you.” She exited the room before she could even finish speaking and shut the door.

 I closed my laptop with a sigh and set it down on the floor next to my bed. I turned the light off and pulled the blanket over my body, wondering how I would ask him until I fell asleep.