1

WHO R YOU

My name is Nicolette but people call me Nic. Actually all my friends call me Nic. I grew up in an orphanage with no idea of who my parents are, neither do I have any intentions of finding out who they are. You might find me pitiful but I don't think that i'm a tad bit worth of your pity for I have the bestest friends ever - Joonmyeon and Kris. They were not orphans like me but we met at the orphanage because their parents always brought them there to do some "charity work" and also to play with us, kids with no parents. Joonmyeon was very amiable. He was a very kind and studious kid. He always aced in school and was the student body in high school. He was always praised by lecturers all over the university, even those who he has no lessons with. On the otherhand, we have a must-rebel-child, Kris Wu who never studies yet manages to pass his major exams, always breaks the school rules yet never gets expelled from school and was never in the good books of the teachers but was widely loved by all the girls in school, including me. Unfortunately, Kris never saw me as a woman but as someone whom he can objectify and tease at whenever he's bored. But I adored him nevertheless. 

"Nic?" Joonmyeon patted my head as I laid face down on my forearms.
"Mmpf." 
"Ya skinny bone!" Kris pushed my arms, causing me to hit against my own forehead. 
"What was that for!" I snarled at Kris but never took any of his silly stunts to heart.
"To wake you up, obviously." Kris hung his legs over the lecture hall's chair and flipped through my journal.
"I didn't know you love me so much to have me written all over your journal." he joked as he flipped through my journal, with me flailing my hands at him to get it back.
"Give it back!!" I yelled and made a fuss but knew that I would never get it back unless someone helps me. And damn I was right for the angel amongst us trio, took it back for me. 
"Don't bully her all the time." Joonmyeon attempts to flick Kris forehead but was stopped by his tall figure who merely shrugged and took out his phone.
"Which girl are you screwing with now huh?" I glared at him, trying to potray anger but he saw it through me. It wasn't anger that was boiling in me but...
"Envious over my new chick? Don't be jealous Nic~~ Awww~" he tried to tickle my chin like what I would do to my dog when it was sulking but no, i'm not a dog! 
"No one is." I rolled my eyes to keep those tears at bay while throwing my stuff into my bag, faster than the speed of light.
"No one is, but you are." Kris chuckled while clicking numbers on the screen. Probably to call his new 'babe'.
"I'm going." my bag lugs onto my forearm as the weight hangs off it, as if i'm not miserable enough.
"Hi babe" Kris voice was loud and clear despite me trying to speed walk away from him.

I was about to get rice cakes to fill my growling tummy until I saw Kris with his new chick, which made me lose all the appetite. Instead, it created a revolting feeling in my tummy.
"Hey Nic!" I rolled my eyes but turned to face him, knowing that he would probably hurl insults at me if I walked on. Turning back, I saw the new chick leaning on his chest with one of her hands tugged in the front pocket of his jeans, looking at me, as if to tell me that she got the man that will never be mine.
"what." 
"Are you intending to buy rice cakes?" he asked.
"Yeah. why?" was he concerned about my health? is he worried that i'm hungry?
"Well don't." he looked upon me seriously. I tilt my head, waiting for his answer.
"You are already fat. Go on a diet!" he laughed at his own joke - well not alone because that chick that's clinging onto him laughed along with him.
"Don't be so mean!" she hit him playfully while Kris kissed her 'playfully' and start getting all touchy with each other.
"I know. Thanks." I replied and walked away from my spot of humiliation, gulping down my tears as I tried to walk further away from them. 
 
"See you at the loft, fats!" he said, loud enough for me to hear. Accompanied with his mocking yet cute laughter.

There was only this much a girl could handle - thank god my back was facing them or it would be embarassing for Kris to see my cry. He'd probably tease me for being a cry baby or a sulking kid. Just then I felt something soft wiping off those hot tears which were dripping off my chins and I knew it was Joonmyeon who was wiping away my tears with his 4ply tissue paper which he insists are better than 3ply. I gave him a small smile while he looked back at me, though concerned but still smiling. 
"You are not fat. I knew you'd get hungry so I already got you rice cakes. Eat up?" he gestured the packet of delicious food towards me, instantly making me feel a whole lot better.
"I can always count on you, Joonmyeon. Thank you." 
Joonmyeon walked me back to the rented room that I was staying at, which he tried t pay the rent for me but was chided harshly by me for I couldn't leach on his wealth. His parents did a whole lot for me by giving me education, clothes and food. I can't take anything more from him, or them. 
"You coming to the loft later?" he asked.
"I've got work." I frowned, but was met by his cheery smile.
"Work hard and please don't forget to eat. Forget what Kris said, you are not fat. You never were." 
"I will. Go home before Mama Kim gets worried." I gestured at the driveway which was visibly empty. Despite being an university student, Joonmyeon was the apple of his mothers eyes and was always chaurffered around.
"Ergh." he pretended to make a disgusted face which made me burst in laughter.
"Gosh!" I pushed him shoulders while he laughed along with me.
"Now that's better. I can go now. Be careful Nic!" 

Sending Joonmyeon away with a laughter didn't mean that I sent my one-sided-love pain away too. Sometimes I wish I could but I wanted to continue liking him even though Kris always ignored me. I know that I will never be the one but being able to spend some time with him despite being labelled an ugly duckling by him was good enough, for me. I guess, we will never know.. 


+ I've yet to proof read it. Just so you know.