My angel

I'll always be here..

Looking around I saw people; a lot of people, some laughing, some falling while some slipping but all of them enjoying their loved ones’ company.  I looked down at the skate shoes that I was trying to put on. In case you are wondering, my name is Tao and I am here to learn ice-skating all by myself. Yes, all by myself. Of course, I did read some books about it; following those rules seems quiet difficult right now. How did I get myself into this? Long story short, in order to save Kai, that -head friend of mine from the bullies of another school I accepted this challenge of learning skating in just ‘three-freaking days’. Stupid, I know right. Wondering, why I accepted this challenge? I have my reasons you know, first would be due to my so-called ‘daring attitude’ and secondly due to my manly-ego, I guess! Lastly, to save that -head’s from those bullies. Nevertheless, what is done is done there is no use crying over spilt milk. So here I am, stuck in this place, ready for my first learning session. I stood up and stepped on the rubber matting trying to walk in order to warm up a little to maintain my balance that is what ‘how to learn skating in 13 steps’ book says. Memorizing few more points in my brain from the book I moved to the ice rink holding onto the walls for support. Feeling the firm and fragile ice below my feet, I tried to move forward slowly afraid to fall on the cold hard ice floor. Determined, I steadily loosened my grip on the wall trying to balance my body. Getting my hands away from the wall, I turned around to move but only to see a kid rushing towards me at a high speed, seemingly losing his control and before I could even react, ‘bam’, there!  We both fell hard on the ground, with him on top of me.

 “Omo are you two alright? Yah Channie did not I tell you to slow down. Now see what you did.” Spoke a women who tried to help the boy get-off me who I suppose is the mother of that boy. “I’m sorry umma” the boy replied lowering his head and turned to me, “I’m sorry hyung”, the boy apologized bowing slightly.

“It’s alright” I nodded at them and the woman bowed and thanked me before leaving with her son. After they left, I tried to get on my feet only to fall hard on my “aishh” I mumbled and tried to get up again, and again and, again and to my luck I failed every attempt.

“God! This is really pissing me off” I muttered loudly this time.

Sighing heavily I was about to try it again when a hand appeared in front of me out of nowhere making my head jerk away abruptly, followed by a deep voice offering me help. “Here! Take my hand” following the source of voice, I turned to my side and looked up slowly at the owner of the voice. There stood a guy in black sweat pants with the lower part of his shirt peeking out of his black hooded pullover, as my eyes continued examining him, it stopped straight on his face. A face like the one I had never seen before; a beautiful angelic face, which looked quite pale, may be due to the cold weather I thought, his dark black orbs sparkling bright and his baby-pink lips forming a curve of smile radiating warmth. He had a red beanie on, through which few of his tousled blonde hair stuck out to his forehead. All I could do was just sit there and stare at the God-like creature in front of me. Everything around me stopped, all people who were present here a while ago disappeared suddenly, and the only thing I could see was he. I saw how his lips moved; I think he was saying something to me but my ear seems to turn deaf now, I could only imagine how good those lips would taste. Nevertheless, of course I did not miss the continuous thumping sound that I believe was coming from inside my chest. I tried to speak but seems I turned mute too; no words came out of my mouth. My heart was beating at such a fast pace that I was scared it would rip apart my chest and come out any time soon. At that thought, a corner of my mind worked up immediately commanding by hands to prevent my heart from coming out as I felt my hands moving and placing itself on the left side of my chest below which lies my wildly beating heart. However, the beating did not lessen so my hands clutched on to my chest firmly which also seemed to be of no use.

Then I saw him bending forward on one knee giving us the same eye level, now closely he looked even more sheen but I did not like how his forehead wrinkled, forming a frown on his angelic face. I wonder why he is frowning, is it due to some family matter or may be he had a fight with his girlfriend. I realized that I did not like the idea of him having a girlfriend so I ignored it, but hey! Was not he just smiling at me a while ago? That thought brought a smile on my face. Wait-what? Did I just smile because a strange guy with an angelic face smiled at me? I must be going crazy, really! I shook my head at it.

“Hey? Hello? Are you alright?” his voice brought me back to earth. (A/N: thus interrupting tao’s journey to mars. lolz ^^) I looked up to him and saw him smiling at me. I nodded slowly.

“Are you sure? You have been lost like this for a while you know. Do you want me to take you to the hospital or something?” he asked me, holding my right shoulder with his hand. At the mention of hospital, I immediately replied, “No, I’m fine.” I have never been fond of hospitals; it always gave me a feeling of nausea. Even today, I clearly remember when my mom, dad and me were brought into the hospital after our accident with a cargo truck. I was not injured, though my parents were and that’s how I lost them forever. I was lost deep in my memories when the guy in front of me snapped his fingers “Hey you are lost again.”

“Sorry I-I just remembered something” I replied looking away. He nodded though not buying my excuse, “Want some help?” he offered his hand to me that I took gladly and we both stood up together, me still holding onto him firmly. He smiled at me and spoke,

“I saw, you were trying to get on your feet a while ago, I suppose it’s your first time skating?” he enquired.

“Yeah, I’m trying to learn it on my own.” I answered slightly embarrassed.

“That’s fine, everyone has to start somewhere.” He smiled warmly and continued, “If you want I can teach you.” Not thinking for a second, I beamed abruptly “really?” realizing I acted too eager I lowered my head in embarrassment. Seeing my reaction, he chuckled setting my cheeks on fire. I don’t know what is happening to me. I am a guy for god sake, blushing is not my business, it is way to girly. I know my thoughts and actions are contradicting each other but even I am confused right now. I can’t seem to have control over my heart or mind at the moment.

“Thank you but you can’t teach me. I’ve got to learn skating in only three days and today was the first day which I lost already.” I sighed sadly and explained him the reason behind this stupid three days-ice skating challenge, unconsciously.

“I can do that.” He said giving me a confident smile.

“Huh?” I said dumbly thinking that I heard him wrong.

“Yes, I can teach you skating in just three days.” He continued confidently, “so what do you say?”

“I-I don’t know. Are you sure about this?” I asked not believing his words. He nodded in response, confidence dripping from his face. However, is it even possible? I mean how can he teach me skating in just ‘three freaking days’? But, since he is so sure about it, I think I should try it, after all teaching myself gave me nothing except a painful . As a proverb says, beggars can’t be choosers. I was about to say yes when another proverb popped in my mind; ‘nothing comes for free.’ Of course, he would not teach me for free, may be he wants money as if reading my thoughts he interrupted “no, I don’t need money.” He doesn’t? I looked at him shocked. “But I do have two conditions” he continued.

Curious, I asked, “What conditions?”

“That you will not ask me any question regarding me or my personal life and that you’ll hang out with me for these three days while I teach you. Deal?”

“Okay” I shrugged and he nodded turning around with his back facing me still holding my hand, moved forward. Why does he even think that I am interested in knowing him...huh! Conceited much! I scoffed inwardly. However, the truth is I do want to know everything about him; his likes, dislikes, his hobbies and a lot more but I don’t even know why I am so eager to know him. He looks friendly but mysterious. Moreover, what’s with this hanging out thing?

“Hey back to earth!” he waved his hand in front of my face “focus boy, focus! If you are wondering why I want to hang out with you it’s because I don’t have friends around here and I really want to have some fun.”

“Huh? O-okay” I nodded and that is how my skating session started. Skating is difficult I must say, however it seemed quite easier learning from him. I wobbled, stumbled and even slipped but what was amazing was I never hit the floor, he did not let me. Every time I lost balance, he would come and save me from falling. However, whenever he let go of my hand, my body would go stiff like a stick and my eyes would pop out horrified, which always made him chuckle leading to a round of laughter at the end, just like right now. There, he stands clutching his stomach laughing hard. His laughter, like that of a 5-year-old kid, echoing in my ears like sweet melodious music. I don’t know if angels really exist in real life but if, they would then I am sure they would be like him; with a charming angelic face. Mesmerized by this heart-warming sight in front of my eyes, I was so lost in my thoughts that I lost my balance and was ready to fall on the cold hard floor with my eyes closed tightly only to get caught in his arms. Yes, he saved me again and the realization brought me a feeling of relief.

“I thought I would fall this time.” I admitted, a chuckle escaping my mouth. He helped me get up and smiled at me, his eyes reflecting warmth. “I will never let you fall.”

“I’ll always be here”, he assured. For some unknown reasons his assurance succeeded in increasing the pace of my heart rapidly. I stood there frozen on the spot, lost in his deep black orbs as he mirrored my expression with equal intensity. After what felt like eternity, we jerked up awake from our position when a kid somewhere far in the rink whistled, playing with his new whistle, I guess. Realizing what just happened we both looked away from each other.

“I think that’s enough for today. Let’s go” He announced and moved ahead, to which I nodded and followed him without his support this time. I did learn some basic moves today; he is indeed quite good for teacher I thought to myself.

After returning our skates, we exited the central park of ice rink. On coming out, extending his right arm forward, he suddenly declared, “it will snow tonight”. “How do you know that?” I retorted back looking at him. It seems strange but this year’s winter did not shower us with snow, its December and Christmas is just coming in few days but there is no snowfall yet. Strange!

“I just know it,” he answered looking up to the evening sky. Then he turned to me and beamed “let’s have ice cream”, he looked around and pointed at the ice cream parlor across the road. “There. Let’s go” before I could even answer I was being dragged by him across the road.

When we reached the parlor, he ordered two green tea ice creams and paid for it.

“Here” he passed me one.

“I don’t want this, I like chocolate”, I informed him with a slight pout on my lips.

I heard him chuckling at my response, “life is too short so enjoy every flavor of it. So why not start with ice cream” he replied still holding the ice cream in front of me, grudgingly I accepted it, not understanding why he suddenly talked about life comparing it with an ice cream. “I have tried all flavors but this is my favorite,” he explained savoring his ice cream.

“Not bad”, I muttered to myself, which he heard of course because he turned his head in my direction, and grinned, “see? It is good. Next time when you plan to have ice creams, try a new flavor.” He suggested and I just nodded my ice cream which I kind of like now. We walked together side by side enjoying our ice creams.

By the time we finished our small feast, we were at the zebra-crossing point, crowds of people stood around us waiting for the turn on of the green lights. I stood there with hands in my pants pockets with him beside me. I felt his hot breath near my ear, giving me a tingling feeling inside, I realized he whispered something to me at which I widened my eyes and shook my head whispering “no way” . He was smiling playfully, “We had a deal that you will have fun with me”, he said. I frowned, “Oh come on...” he wiggled his eyebrows. A chuckled escaped my lips at his cuteness. But no, I will not do that. He is daring me to poke the girl in front of us and act nonchalant and innocent about it, as if it’s someone else who poked her! “No way!” I repeated trying to back off.

“Wimp”, he teased. I am not a wimp but I really cannot poke someone randomly whom I don’t even know.

“No”

“Scaredy-cat”

Scaredy-what? Okay that was it!! I looked at the girl in front of us who was busy talking on her phone. ‘Oh God please forgive me~’ I prayed and poked the girl on her shoulder. The girl in an instant turned her head towards us while this angel-faced guy and I were looking anywhere but her. We had our poker faces on not daring to look at each other in the fear of bursting out laughing. As soon as the lights turned green and the girl with the whole crowd crossed the road, while we bursted out laughing clutching our stomachs nearly in tears.

“Had fun?” he asked showing his sparkling teethes and I could only nod at him still laughing.

 “Let’s do this again sometime,” I added enjoying every bit of what we did a while ago oblivious to the saddened eyes of the guy beside me.

“Let’s go” he breathed out a sigh, he shoved his hands in his pockets, ducked his head and started walking forward and I continue to walk beside him.

“So, are you up for tomorrow’s skating lesson?” he asked “Yep” I nodded in reply.

“What time?” he continued.

“I have a part-time job in a café and I do morning shift, so I will be free only after 11:30 am.”

“Okay! I will meet you outside the café after your shift. What’s the address and name of the café?”

“Sweet memories, it’s near the Supermarket,” I answered.

“Interesting name,” he admitted smiling softly.

“The café was actually named by our boss’s grandparents. He told us his grandparents first met in that café and fell in love with each other finally getting married. After saving a lot of money his grandpa bought and gifted the café to his beloved wife on their 25th anniversary and named it 'sweet memories' as it reminded them of their sweet meetings and encounters.” I explained to him.

“How about you, do you work?” I enquired looking at him.

“We had a deal. No questions about me.” he reminded me.

“Oh yeah, sorry I forgot that” I wonder why he does not want me to know about him. Is he some kind of gangster or may be even worse, a wanted criminal that sends chills all over my body. Tsk tsk that is not possible he seems way to innocent to be involved in such things. What is he hiding anyway? Why is he so secretive?

“I have my reasons,” he answered quietly. Did I think aloud? God I really need to shut my bigmouth, I thought to myself shaking my head.

“You don’t have big mouth”

“Oh! thank-big what?” what? He heard me again. I face palmed myself in my mind. God I will stop thinking now. Period.

“You are funny!” he exclaimed chuckling. I was about to say something in my defense when I heard a voice calling me, also stopping the chuckles of the guy beside me.

“Hey! Tao” I know that voice. I looked forward and saw Kai approaching us.

“Whacha doing here?” he questioned.

“Nothing, just hanging out.” I shrugged.

“Oh! By the way, meet Kai my -head friend, the reason behind that stupid skating challenge” I introduced Kai to the guy beside me. “And Kai, this is-” I was cut off as the angel-faced guy interrupted me. “I’m Tao’s friend and his three days-skating tutor” he chuckled at his own introduction and offered his hand to Kai for a shake.

After shaking their hands, Kai beamed at him, “Do you have any plans for Christmas eve?”

“No, I guess.” He replied shrugging.

“Then you must come to our café, we have a small celebration party that night. You can come with Tao.” Kai invited him and diverted his attention to me, “Come to think of it, did you decide what you’re going to do?”

“I’m not coming Kai and I’m not interested in that stupid contest.” I answered nonchalantly.

“Oh! Come on.. Everyone is coming, you must come and participate.” He insisted and then turned to my so-called ‘skating tutor’, “Hey why don’t you pair-up with Tao and perform something?” Not understanding what Kai and I were talking about he gave us a confused look.

“You see, our boss has organized a small party contest on the Christmas Eve where all the employees must perform in pairs, you know kind of small talent show for fun but since all our friends have paired up with each other Tao is the only one left without a partner. So I was wondering that you two could do something for the party since we are allowed to bring our friends and families too.” Kai elaborated. “Can you sing? Because if you can then you two will make a good duo, Tao plays piano, and sings very well you know”, he added.

“Really?” the guy beside me brightened to which Kai nodded enthusiastically. “It will be fun, you should come Tao and bring your friend too”, he urged and grinned at me. Suddenly his phone rang, so he took out his phone and checked the caller and panicked. “I gotta go now. See you two at the party.” He ran away waving at us.

“It sounds interesting, let’s do it.” The guy beside me beamed.

“Nah! It is boring. What’s so interesting about it anyway?”

“Everything. Everything about it is interesting, there will be many people and your friends will be there too, you will get to know new people, enjoy their company, dance, sing, celebrate, and share moments.” He exclaimed without looking at me. His mood suddenly turned gloomy “You are really lucky Tao, you have people around you who are always there for you, friends with whom you can share your feelings, your problems, and you can go out with them and have fun.” Not everyone is lucky you know”, he said softly lowering his head.

“It’s a normal thing. Everyone have friends. Don’t you?” I turned to him.

“No, I have never been lucky like you.” He sighed heavily.

“What do you mean?”

“You won’t understand.” His voice was barely a whisper. Hearing his sad tone, something inside me squeezed. He is not lucky like me he said. Does that mean he does not have any friends? Does he not have anyone to share his feelings? Is he lonely? He looks so happy and full of life when one looks at him, but looking him closely; one will know that behind his smiling face lies a lonely broken and vulnerable person who just wants love and company of his dear ones.

“Fine, let’s do it.” I answered enthusiastically “let’s show them that we both are the best. What do you say?” I added trying to brighten his mood and it surely worked. He looked up at me and grinning, “Really?”

“Really” I nodded.

“Fine. Let’s show them who the boss is. Fighting!!” he shouted energetically throwing his fist in air making me laugh. He nudged me to do the same, so we both shouted in unison raising our fist in air, “Fighting! Fighting!”  both howling in laughter at the end.

“The night is still young, let’s have some fun.” He said smiling widely, ready to lead the way. “Neh” I nodded and followed him. We both walked to the crowded part of the city. The grey evening sky has already turned dark black now, but the city still looked full of live, swarms of people moved here and there, different types of noises came from all around, the hustling and bustling of city was at its peak point. Lost in the crowd of people, I felt something warm in my hand, I looked down and found a hand intertwined with mine, I stared at the owner of the hand, and a warm feeling rushed through my entire system. He; my angel-faced guy was holding my hand. He is indeed an angel; my angel I thought to myself and my lips curled into a smile.  I was still staring down at our intertwined hands, strange! How his hand seems to fit perfectly with mine.

“We are here.” He announced breaking my trance of thoughts. I looked up to him and our eyes met, I quickly looked away feeling heat rising up on my cheeks.

He chuckled “let’s practice for our Christmas Eve performance eh?” saying that he let go of my hands and walked forward.

Confused, I followed him with my eyes; he walked up to a man, sitting near the lamppost in front of an open restaurant. The man was in shaggy and tattered clothes with a guitar in his hand a board near him that read, he was poor and mute and also lost his one leg in an accident and in front of him sits an old hat upside down with few coins and notes in it. My angel whispered something in the man’s ear at which the man nodded smiling and handed him the guitar. Taking the guitar from the man my angel gestured me to come to him, so I did. As I walked towards him, he started strumming the guitar strings and started humming. By the time I reached him, he started singing while playing guitar. I stopped on my tracks, staring at him mesmerized. His voice is so soothing and beautiful. It is sweeter than honey­. His eyes sparkled brightly seemingly enjoying what he was doing.

Nareul boneun ni nuneul parabomyeon eum
Haengbokhande buranhae hae buranhande haengbo-khae hae
Neoneun nal du-lleossan modeun ge eum
Eonjenkan nareul heu-teureo noheul-kka keokjeong-haneun geo ara

Naye hwahryeohan saeng-hwahl juwiiye hwahryeohan yeoja
Kakka-iseo bomyeon da amugeot-do anya
Kakka-iseo bwahdo amuri kakka-iseo bwahdo
Kkeu-teobshi bol su i-nneun geon cheongmal neoppuniya

He gestured me to sing with him. Therefore, I did. I sang with him, our eyes locked with each other as if talking in language unknown to us. We did not realize the crowd of people forming around us. All we could see was each other. I felt as if he was singing for me. As if, he was conveying a message to me through the song. Our eye contact broke when we heard people around us clapping and hooting loudly. I saw him smiling and slightly bowing at them and I did the same. I saw the old mute man smiling at me, I returned the smile walking up to him, and I picked up his hat. Taking the hat, I went to the crowd who happily donated money in the hat while ‘my angel’ continued singing; impressing and hypnotizing the crowd with his melodious voice.

Mikuk ilbon nae-ga do-ra danyeo bon eum
Kot-deulmada yeppeun yeoja neomuna manhko manh-jiman
Neoreul bol ttae-mada neukgineun eum
Seollemeun chajeul suga eop-seo keokjeong-hal keo eop-seo

Nareul boneun ni nunbit nal manjineun songil
Nu-gue-geseodo neukkyeo bon jeo-gi eop-seo
Shi-gani heu-lleodo amuri heu-lleodo
Byeonhaji anh-neun gamjeongeul jun geon neoppuniya

Nae nunen neobakke anboyeo neo nae kwiien neobakke an deullyeo neo
Nae mamen neobakke an sara keuraeseo neo eobshi mossara
Baby girl you’re the only one for me

Everybody was swaying their body with the melody of the song surely enjoying our live performance. The scene brought a smile on my face. “Sing it with me everyone!” I heard him shout with full energy, as if on cue everybody around us joined in and started singing with us.

Nae nunen neobakke anboyeo neobakke Nae nunen neobakke anboyeo neo, only you                                   Nae mamen neobakke an sara Oh keuraeseo neo eobshi mossara                                                            Baby girl you’re the only one for me

Nan neo ppuniya uhu neoppuniya uhu neo ppuniya uhu
Neo ppuniya
Neo ppuniya uhu neo ppuniya uhu neo ppuniya uhu
Neo ppuniya neo ppuniya

We ended the song with a loud round of cheers and applauses, people came and shook our hands, many complimented us, and some even asked us if we could sing another song for them. The night seemed an endless journey of fun and adventure to me. I don’t remember when the last time I went out like this, with friends was. A month ago? A year ago? May be more, may be less. I haven’t smiled and laughed this much or had this much fun in a long time. If considered, it is actually the first time I have actually had this much fun after my parents’ passed away. Come to think of it my life is quite boring and monotonous, I always do what I have always done no alternation at all. Trying new things out is something I never wasted my thoughts on that is because I hate changes. I like living simple and predictable life, it makes me comfortable, but here he is, extremely strange guy barging in my life forcing me to break rules that I once set for myself.

____________________________
A/N : I hope i did not disappoint you all and if i did then i'm really sorry. *bows 90degree* It's my first time so please excuse me and do not hesitate to tell me my mistakes if you find any all's welcome. It was suppose to be one shot but i guess it wont bt.. (=_=)' I'll try to finish it in the next chapter but i cant promise that.. Thank you for reading my fiction.

Enjoy your reading in AFF.

Take care (^_^)