final

Stick to the Status Quo

Suho stares at the lovely Luhan. Yes lovely, in his eyes. Luhan is a guy you see, and he happens to be their cheerleading team head (and a captain as well). He is gay, yes. Luhan is gay. Wait, so as Suho.

 

Suho sighs and brushes his thoughts away, adjusts his spectacles and sits comfortably on the bench far enough from Luhan who is squealing on his seat cheering for his boyfie Xiumin, their football team captain. Suho smiles bitterly, all he can do is to stare and stare. His mind wanders to that day he starts liking boys, specifically Luhan. Because damn, he knows he is straight. Before.

 

 

/flashback/

It was their final exam and everyone in the campus was burying their noses on their books, notes and any stuff they could study. Suho stumbled on his loose shoelaces and all his books were scattered around. Being nerd as his reputation, no one paid attention. So he crouched down, gathered the books near him and then tied his laces. Suddenly, a commotion happened and all the books he gathered were being kicked further away from his reach. When he looked up to see what the commotion was, his jaw dropped.

Who is that girl? Was what he had in mind, because the time he looked up, a small girl with doe-like eyes turned her head flipping her hair on the process towards his direction and batted an eye. Suho gulped what should he do now that the girl was walking on his way.

 

The girl was now a step near him but Suho stood still, rooted on his spot. Just then, the girl passed by him to his disappointment. He never felt embarrassed, and when he was ready to face another humiliation, he was tapped on his shoulders.

“I suppose this is your book, sorry I stepped on them.” The girl said apologetically and handed Suho his book.

Suho reached for it, his spectacles sliding on the tip of his nose and nodded pathetically at the girl. The girl smiled before walking away from him.

So okay, that was not a humiliation. He could hear whispers from people around somewhere around ‘whoa he’s lucky!’ and the like.

 

Suho resumed gathering his book and another hand came to his view with his other books, he looked up this time to see another guy with spectacles but he didn’t look nerdy like himself though.

“Thanks.” He mumbled and looked down, hurrying. He had to go after that girl.

“No problem.” The stranger replied and was left hanging when Suho ran away from him.

 

 

Suho followed the girl and he ended up in the back court, where the football team practices. He saw the girl being surrounded by the team and their captain being pushed forward. He frowned, what was happening? Then he went closer and overheard their conversation.

“Yo Xiumin look!” the tallest with a derp smile hollered. “He really did your request!”

“Man, he is dead serious with you. Just look at this beauty, you can’t refuse this one!” the shorter one with a nice eye smile poked the captain.

“Yah Xiumin-ah. I did what you said yesterday.” The girl pouted.

Suho hitched his breath seeing what the girl did.

“I even dressed up as a girl for you!” she continued.

Suho frowned, dressed up? So he was a guy?

“Okay, okay. I’ll date you.” Xiumin said in defeat and the girl, scratch that, the guy hugged the football captain with the members cheering for them.

So, okay? If he was a guy, then who was he?

“Luhan, it’s okay. Now, get off me and get rid of that disguise okay?” Xiumin pushed Luhan away and the latter nodded before running to a direction Suho didn’t intent on following.

 

So he was a guy, and Suho realized he had a crush on a guy so he was also gay. Okay. Gay. Last time he checked, he was straight. How fast could a person’s preference changes, huh?

He went back and left the field to the library to study but ended up thinking of what he was going to do now. He stood no chance with Luhan, he knew him as their cheerleading team captain, because Xiumin was going to date him. Sad life. A nerd’s sad life.

 

flashback ends

 

Another squeal from Luhan wakes Suho from his journey in the past and blinks when he sees Xiumin having a hard time trying to steal the ball from someone who he thinks is new. Oh well, all the members are new to him and he only know Xiumin because he is a captain. But this guy stands out in his eyes.

Wait am I having another crush?

 

Instead of watching Luhan screaming her lungs out for Xiumin, his eyes sticks to that guy Xiumin had a par with. Interesting hmmm…

 

When the game ends, Suho secretly runs and hides near the gym lockers where the footballers are taking their shower. He had long forgotten about Luhan, and how fast his feelings for him fade away. And his waiting comes to an end, when the Mr. Standout Guy walks out the locker room and Suho tails him behind silently. What surprises him after is that, Mr. Standout Guy wears his spectacles and Suho squints his eyes because swear, he have seen this guy from somewhere before!

 

“You can just walk with me you know.” Mr. Standout Guy says and turns around, catching Suho in the act.

Suho stops abruptly and blinks then raises his book to his face. “Ex-excuse you. I’m not following you okay.”

“No one said about following.” Mr. Standout Guy smiles along with his dimples. Suho tries not to peek. “I was just thinking that maybe we go on the same way and we can accompany each other.”

Suho reddens; coughs and walks briskly pass him. But Mr. Standout Guy quickens his pace and manages to catch up with him.

“I’m Lay by the way. We met before, when you were picking up your book. And hey, look at me when I’m talking. I seldom talk to people.” He finally reaches for Suho’s arm and stops him.

Suho has his face down, avoiding Lay’s gazes. “Then don’t talk to me.”

Lay sighs in frustration, “I’ve been watching you all this time, and you’ve been watching someone else at the same time. Now, why don’t you try looking at me and maybe you’ll find me attractive like Luhan.” He says.

Suho looks up, eyes wide. “H-how did you know….”

“You were obvious. And your stares are kind of creepy. Maniac. er—” Suho hushes Lay because what he say are true, somewhat.

“Okay okay shut up now.”

“Finally. You are looking at me.” Lay smiles, dimples showing once again. And Suho, this time, has no book to peek to because he is facing it, close.

“I like your dimples.” He mumbles.

“Dimples? Only?” Lay asks, they start walking now side by side.

“Yes. For now.” Suho replies.

“Ah okay. I’ll make you like all of me soon.”