Chapter 1

Heartbreak Boy

"Oppa! You're so funny!" said Amber as her and Jackson rolled their head backs in laughter.

I sighed as I stared at them from the opposite side of the room. Jackson dragged me to a blind date with his 'hot friend' who was looking someone for my type. But right now, I am so bored out of my mind right now, I'm sitting across a boy whose name is Mark Tuan who hasn't even spoken a word since we got here 25 minutes ago. I could feel this getting more awkward by each second, so I decided to break the ice.

"So, you and Jackson are apparently good friends?" I asked as I sipped my coffee.

Mark kept his pose, hands in sweater pocket, mouth covered by his scarf wrapped around his neck, looking down on the ground.

"Jackson has told me a lot about you." I said as I playfully nudged his foot under his desk with mine.

He looked up at me.

I froze. 

This is the first time he ever moved or made eye contact since we got here.

"You don't have to lie." he mumbled.

"I'm not." I replied rolling my eyes in annoyance.

"Today's my birthday, I don't want any lies coming from anyone today." he replied.

"It's your birthday? Then why are you here having a blind date with me when you could be clubbing somewhere with Jackson and your other friends?" I asked as I leaned in and rested my elbows on the table.

"They don't know it's my birthday." he mumbled softly.

I stood up, "Well let's go tell Jackson." I said as I turned around right when Mark grabbed my wrist.

"Please don't, just sit down." he gestured toward the chair in front of him.

I sat down, "Why don't you want Jackson to know it's your birthday?"

He sighed, "I don't like to make others worry about me. I hate the idea of having others worry for me and stessing what to buy me as a birthday present, or just think about me a lot in general. I just don't like it. I like to be the quiet one in the crowd and just not say anything at all."

"So you're telling me you're going to grow up and live with 20 cats alone?" I asked as I took a sip from my coffee.

"I have a girlfriend-" I started choking immediately after he said he had a girlfriend. I turned around and started coughing before I could calm down.

"Are you okay?-" "A girlfriend?" I asked, "Then what are you doing here?!"

"Jackson thought me seeing other people than my girlfriend would be a good idea since he hates her, but I love my girlfriend, I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world." he finally confessed.

I raised a brow, "Why does he hate her?"

"He thinks she's too whiny and cruel to me." He took a sip of his coffee.

"Well what do you think of your girlfriend?" I asked curiously.

"She's really nice and sweet to me. I love her a lot." he cracked a small smile.

I sighed in saddness.

"Now what's wrong with you?"

"Being single . You have a girlfriend who you can cuddle and kiss to and then there's me watching netflix alone in the dark." I crossed my arms.

"What about Jackson?" he asked.

I looked up at him, "What?"

"Jackson? He likes you a lot." he said.

I scoffed, "What? No! He doesn't like me, he likes Amber Liu! That's the whole reason why I'm here. Amber called me for advice and Jackson brought me if help was nessecary-" I looked over at Jackson and Amber laughing and holding hands at the table. "-which they clearly don't need.

Mark started laughing.

"What?"

"Why would they ask advice to you if you had no experience in dating at all? That's ridiculous!" He laughed even more.

"Maybe because I actually talk to them instead of being quiet all the time and making sure other people don't about me." I snapped at him.

He stood up, that's when it shocked me. "I'm sorry-"

"No."

"Mark, I'm sorry."

"No you're not. You don't get do you Suzy?"

"I do, I didn't mean to-"

"Just stop." he said as he walked out of the coffee shop.

I sighed, Stupid Suzy! Why did I have to let my big mouth talk!

Awkwardly, I walked over to Jackson and Amber's table, "Hey guys." I could feel my face burning hot.

"Where's Mark?" asked Amber.

"What? Oh, yeah, Mark said he had a girlfriend and she wasn't feeling good so he went to her house." I lied.

Jackson clenched his fist and hit the table, "That idiot! I told him not to say he had a girlfriend." he looked up at me "I'm sorry Suzy, I didn't think you would figure it out. Mark's girlfriend is really evil."

I raised a brow, "Why?" asked Amber with a serious face.

"She's cheated on him multiple times but Mark still denies even after showing him evidence." he said with a dissapointed look. "Mark only likes her because she showers him with a bunch of expensive gifts he never was able to afford since he grew up poor. But he's good now, we live together, along with other friends of ours."

Then an idea struck me.

"Hey, I'm gonna get going now, you two continue your date and I'll go catch a taxi, no worries." I said as I slowly backed out with a thumbs up. Amber and Jackson nodded and continued talking.

I started running in the freezing cold weather to the nearest shop I could find. I tripped and felt on ice, I screamed on my way down and fell with my head first.

I tried enduring the pain as I got up and continued walking to the nearest shop, when I saw my heel had broke. I took my shoes off and shoved them in my bag. I could feel my feet getting colder and colder each second. Once, I finally got to the store, I searched for cakes, when I saw the prettiest one, I took it and bought some candles. I went outside again and asked a taxi for a ride to Jackson's house since I had been there before.

"Thank you." I said as I gave him the money and took the cake and candles to Jackson's house as I stepped inside. I heard loud music coming from down stairs, right when I was about to go down, I looked up at a window to see Mark sitting by himself in the cold staring into the distance. I tiptoed to the nearest kitchen counter and lit the candles.

Now he has to forgive me! I thought with a huge smile. I clapped silently at how beautiful the cake was with the candles lit. I carried the cake outside slowly, "Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Mark!  Happy Birthday to you!" I carefully covered the candles with my hand so they wouldn't get blown out. 

"Hurry! Make a wish before they get blown out!" I said with a smile.

Mark looked over at me and stood up immediately. He blew out the candles.

"Yay!" I said as I put the cake on the table outside.

"Oppa! Let's eat," I grabbed his hand to go inside to get a knife to cut it but he stopped me.

"Why are you doing this?" he asked as he cornered me.

"Oppa, I felt really sorry about what I said earlier and I knew it was your Birthday today since you told me, and I know you hate it when people do things for your Birthday but I just wanted to do this. I'm sorry."

Mark walked over to the table and picked up the cake, was he actually going to eat it with me?

He handed me the cake, "Take this cake and go."

"What? I bought this for you."

"And now, I'm returning it." he said.

My ears felt numb at this point because of the weather.

Mark walked over to the door and opened it. He gestured me to go inside.

"Oppa! You can't do this!" I begged.

"It's my Birthday, do you know what my wish was when I blew out the candles? It was for you to leave me alone."

I felt my heart ache.

"If you want to make me happy on my Birthday and make me forgive you about what you said earlier, then leave." he snapped.

I nodded and walked inside dissapointed. I tripped and fell on the cake with my face first. I gasped and turned around. I saw Mark shaking his head before he slammed the door. Why did he have to push away the good things people did for him? I sighed and got up, picking up the disasterous cake. I grabbed the nearest towel to wipe off my face, when I finished, I took the cake and made my way home.

My feet and ears were numb at this point. It started snowing even heavier than before.

I could feel the numb go up my legs until it knocked me down on the ground.

My vision blurred, I was numb, and cold.

I rolled my eyes back and shut them.

My body could no longer get up from the freezing ground and weather.

This was where I was going to die.

All thanks to Mark Tuan.