Seven Questions

Seven Questions --- One shot

It was the moment he had been waiting for. Tonight, was the night that he will remember for the rest of his life.

Gerald Anderson held his breath the moment she entered the fancy restaurant. She was indeed very pretty. Much prettier in person, he must add. Her hair was perfectly coiffed, revealing her graceful neck. Her red dress complimented the creamy softness of her skin. Her slender figure belies the imminent iness that seems to reside in her nature. The way she walked towards him, he’d never seen anything so gracefully competent in his life. She was dazzling in every bit and form that it seemed no man was worthy of her.

Maybe, no one is, he thought. She was after all, a celebrity.

“Hi, I’m Kim Chiu!” There was this ethereal quality in her voice, the kind that will lull you into a trance and drive you off the cliff like helpless lemmings.

He stood up. Customs dictated. He waited for her to offer her hand. Customs dictated. A guy needs to wait for a woman to hold up her hand in greeting. She didn’t. Like she didn’t have to. He moved over to her side and pulled out a chair for her instead. Still, customs dictated that. She politely said “thank you,” as any young woman should. He stood there for the longest time, mouth ajar, admiring her from an arm’s length.

“Sit down,” she ordered him. Her lips slightly pouty, somewhat annoyed. He scurried over to his side of the table. He was excited at the same time frightened. She eyed him contritely as he almost spilled his water when he sat down. Gerald instantly apologized.

She answered him with a laconic nod. Gerald caught her looking at her watch. She was being a little impatient.

Kim, in her mind, was thinking of the movie shoot she had early the next morning. If only she could cut this meeting/date short. For her sake...and more so, for his.

It’s not often in your life you'd get this chance to date a celebrity and Gerald can’t let this one slip by. Especially, if your date is no other than “the” pop superstar of her generation. One can’t even begin to imagine how popular she was. All you have to do is walk any street in Metro Manila and for sure, you won’t find a street that will not hold a picture of her. Images of her were printed on the sides of the buses, pasted on the walls, atop gigantic billboards. Even the old, weathered newspapers strewn all over the street will most likely have a picture of her. She was the most talked about celebrity in the Philippines right now. The whole country was enamoured with her. She was the byword of every six year old in the country, not to mention that she was the regular staple of all the fashion runways and catwalks. Radio, TV, print and movies...she had conquered them all.

Why he allowed himself to be in this predicament, Gerald doesn’t know why. All he did was write down his name at the back of a toothpaste box and the next thing he knew, he was chosen out of a million entries to spend this night with her. When he dropped off his entry at Aling Bebang’s corner store, he didn’t have anything going for him except for the thought that, maybe...he will get to meet her someday. He half-heartedly put in his toothpaste box, all the while cursing his ghastly hand writing, into a drop box that was almost filled to the brim with other entries. He had to convince himself that even this would have to be like a one-in-infinity kind of a deal, she would still be worth it.

Kim was now getting more impatient. Several seconds passed without anything happening. He was just smiling at her. No words --- just his gentle assessment.

Gerald, as he gazed at her with rose-colored-glasses, fondly recalled how he found out about the prize he won. He almost fell off his chair when he heard his name on ASAP. Not that he watched the show often, but when he knew it was the day of the announcement, he tuned in the moment the first live images came out of the TV. He woke up at four or five in the morning, had coffee (not that he needed more nervousness) and made a promise to GOD that he will watch every second of that blasted show and even the ones preceding it; if HE, in return, would grant him his fervent wish. Never mind if he had to waste his life away in a mindless stupor forever from staying in front of the TV for five solid hours, all he needed was that one night. To everyone else around him, he was a wreck. But when the noontime TV host announced his name as the winner, he jumped up and down like a crazy maniac. That day, he confirmed the presence of a God. He was so overwhelmed by his new found faith that he went to church the following afternoon.

.
.
.

Kim glanced at him once more. He was cute...to some degree. He was by no means Piolo Pascual, but at least he was not unfortunate looking. He was a tad paler that she would like him to be, but she can no means complain. She had a 999,000 to a million shot of getting a frighteningly, potentially scary date...yet she got this personable fellow instead. Not bad. She made a mental note to go to Baclaran and thank Him for giving her a date wherein she won’t have to pretend to like seeing his face. She was not being snooty, but being in showbizness in the last few years, somehow elevated her criteria on the type of men she would date. With all these up-and-coming studs thrown at her face every day, she just can’t help it if her standards for physical attributes have been based on Sam Milby types.

She flashed him her fake showbiz smile. She was concerned by him. He looked like he was about to pee in his pants. She wanted to calm him down. The last thing she needed was another media disaster. She was aware of the cameras ready to flash anytime she might commit another faux pas.

“I’m Gerald...” he said timidly.

“Gerald....nice name.” she smiled sweetly. Too sweet for his own good, perhaps.

“I’m so glad you picked me...” he added. He tried to reach out for a glass of the iced water, but seeing his hand tremble, he withdrew it right away.

She mused at how nervous he was. “Gerald, I didn’t pick you. You have to thank the DTI representative for that and that poor actor who fished your name from the sea of toothpaste boxes...”

“Yes, you’re right!” Gerald immediately thought of how much of an idiot he was. He used to credit himself with more sense than that.

Kim didn’t think he was dim-witted at all. She actually found it intriguing how tense he was. It seems as if his life was hanging on the balance if he didn’t do well on this date.

“You know what, try this...” Kim suggested. “Breathe in...and breathe out...that will take care of your nerves...”

“Do I look like I’m nervous?” he said, fiddling with his tie.

“I’ve actually seen sick people with more color than you do right now,” Kim jibed. “Come on....breathe in, breathe out.”

Gerald followed her.

“Now, remember to breathe out,” Kim said, sipping her drink. He just sat there, mesmerized by her. He turned almost blue and Kim had to shout, “Hey, breathe out!”

Gerald exhaled momentarily.

“You just take my breath away...” he said absent-mindedly.

Something about what he said made Kim spray out her drink at him. He was so disjointedly funny.

“Well, it was certainly not the reaction I was hoping for.” Gerald said disappointingly as Kim kept on laughing.

“I’m so sorry!” Kim said with much remorse as she took out her table napkin and stood up next to him. She then dabbed it to his face and his previously, immaculately white shirt. She could not help but giggle as she sponged her own spew from his shirt. “I really didn’t mean to...laugh. I was just so...unprepared, with what you said.”

“Don’t worry...I’ll live.” He said, disgusted with himself. “It’s not everyday that a celebrity would spray wine at you because of your undeniable wit...”

“I’m so sorry...” she said, still smiling. This time, her smile was more genuine. Sweeter. She continued to dab his chest, noticing how firm to the touch his chest was.
The wet shirt also clung to his contoured abs. She was pleasantly amazed how defined they were.

Gerald softly held her hands, stopping her from fussing about. She slowly withdrew them from his gentle grip and sat back on her chair.

“Forgiven...” he said, still looking on his spoiled shirt. “It’s a compliment really...”

She looked at him...trying to guess whether or not he was being sarcastic or funny.

Gerald looked up, his face a little brighter. Then, he started to laugh too. Kim joined him.

“Take my breath away....what a line!” Gerald said, sneering at himself. He happily mimicked a gun with his hand and shot himself at the temple.

“I thought I’ve heard everything!” Kim explained. “But that had to be the best pick up line I’ve ever heard.”

“Perhaps, my being pale and nauseous added to the appeal...” Gerald said, looking for an acknowledgement from her.

“Yes, of course. The way you delivered that line...it was perfect!” she said with glee. “Are you sure you’re not a comedian or something?”

“You know what...that used to be my ambition,” he said truthfully. “But then my mom said I looked more like a politician...so I took up political science instead.”

“So, you’re a politician?” she asked.

“No, I wrap gifts at SM.” He said candidly.

She had to laugh once more. He was so perfectly random. Kim admittedly did not see him coming at all. He was the kind that wouldn’t strike you as anything but ordinary, but the more you get to know him, underneath was layer after layer of personality and charm.

She just found herself listening to him.

“What?” he said, looking cluelessly at her. “What did I say wrong? Everything I’ve said so far were the truth...Firstly, I really do wrap gifts at SM! That’s my day job. I’m a political science major, still trying to make a life out of it...and lastly, you do take my breath away!”

Kim turned serious. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to laugh at you, and certainly not because of your job. It’s just that the way you said it. Your timing was impeccable, whether you realize it or not.”

“Well, I really didn’t mean to make you laugh...but I guess that’s alright, considering you might have to put up with me the entire night! A few laughs at my expense are perfectly welcome!”

“Well, Gerald.” Kim declared. “Why don’t we make a night out of this? Let’s order the heck out of these sponsors!”

“Why not?” Gerald said brightly. His eyes more twinkly now. He enthusiastically raised his hand to call the waiter.

An old waiter rushed towards them.

“Your orders, mademoiselle.” Gerald said in broken French, much to Kim’s delight. “Ladies, first...”

It was customary for men to let ladies order first.

“Thank you, “ Kim answered.

It was also customary for women to say thank you...and to swoon lightly at a young man’s piercing gaze.

Maybe not all the time...perhaps, only with him.
.
.
.
Several minutes of non-verbal ensued over the course of their dinner. They weren’t particularly chatty at that point. They ate quietly but their glances at one another spoke volumes. There was a little bit more dose than usual of the eyelash batting, giggles, uncontrollable little tics...the works.

As the waiter, placed their desserts on the table, Gerald turned his attention to her once more.

“So, how did you get yourself into this mess?” he probed her.

“Well, I got this contract for this promo...” she answered. “If I didn’t do it, they’ll send me to jail for breach!”

“Oh?” he said, obviously surprised. “It’s either me or a jail term, then?”

“Yes, you can put it that way...” Kim said. “But I’m not complaining, I’d much rather be here than in a prison cell with large, woman thugs...”

Kim said that with much more grain of truth into it. She’d much rather be there in his company than anywhere else in the world right now.

“I must say I’m a big fan of your role, Jasmine. She’s the funniest, most lovable character in TV!” Gerald claimed.

“I’m glad,” she answered, her voice a little bit strained.

“Hmmm...now, what’s wrong?” Gerald said, picking up on her sudden change of mood.

Kim made a face at him.

“Wow, you’re good...” she exclaimed.

“I have a good read on most people.” Gerald declared. “Now, tell me, what’s with the tone?”

“No, it’s just that Jasmine is just a role. People expect me to be bubbly and cute all the time. I’m not like that. She’s just a role!”

“But, you want to be her?” he pried carefully.

“Nobody can be her. Not all the time, at least. She’s so goddamn perfect. That’s why people like her can exist only on TV. Playing her is exhausting.” Kim explained.

“So you want to be her most of the times, but a part of you wants to rebel against it. Like, sometimes you want to be the exact opposite of her?”

“Yes, that’s it!” Kim cried out. “I’ve long been trying to verbalize it, gosh, where have you been all my life?”

Gerald smiled meekly at her. He didn’t realize how important to Kim the impact of his assessment was. He took a sip of his red wine --- more liquid courage.

“Enough about me, tell me about yourself?” Kim said, posing herself to listen intently.

“What do you want to know?” he said. “What’s it like to be common?”

“Come on, enough of that you-being-you and me-being-me thing. I want to know who are you, fair enough?”

“Okay, fair.” He said, sipping in more wine. “You’re going to ask questions about me?”

“Naturally,” she said.

“Ten questions only!” he proposed. “nothing more... and I can choose not to answer.”

“If you’re an actress, you’re such a diva.” She said mockingly.

“Now, you’re down to seven questions miss!” he said, his eyes becoming more animated by the moment.

“That’s not fair...” she protested, but he only responded by giving her a sharp look. “Okay, Okay...seven questions then.”

“Ask away...”Gerald said, leaning back to his chair.

“Okay...First question, if you’re not who you are, who do you want to be and why?” Kim said.

“Easy enough, I want to be a writer!” Gerald answered. “Frankly, because I want to write a best-seller and be rich. Next question...please, don’t waste your questions...you’re down to six.”

“Come on...you need to answer these questions as truthfully as you can...”

“I did!” Gerald answered.

“No, you did not!” Kim gave him a quizzical look. “I can tell. I feel there is a much deeper reason as to why you want to be a writer. Let's see here...What if you fail, do you still want to be a writer?”

“Yes, I still would want to be a writer even if I fail, because at least I knew I tried. When you write, you feel free. No limitations. No boundaries. Now, that was another question. You’re down to five. ..”

“That’s not fair!” Kim once more objected. “That was the real answer to question one. I still have six more...”

“Okay, okay...it’s not as if my present biography is going to be a bestseller or something....as long as you’re not grouchy.”

Kim folded her arms across her chest. “I’m not grouchy, I’m on a diet! I’m just a bit underfed. That accounts for my foul mood sometimes!”

“Come on...next question.” He suggested.

“Question number two...what genre are you looking forward to write and what is your favourite word?”

“That’s two questions!”

“They’re related.”

“Okay, fair enough. Again, very easy peasy. I want to write an action series, ala Tom Clancy and my favourite word is “constantly.”

“Constantly?” she said, her eyes wide in amazement.

“Yes, there seems to be a fair bit of hope in that word. It is strong and unrelenting. It is like something that goes on forever and ever....constantly!”

“That is nice.” She admitted. “That’s my new favourite word now.”

“Next question please...” he said, feigning a look of impatience.

“What holds you back from writing your first novel?” Kim asked her third question.

“I honestly don’t know. It just seems daunting writing it...going through all that emotions.”

“Emotions?”

“Well, when you write. You immerse yourself into character. You have to go through all the character’s emotions so that you can effectively write them down. It’s quite the same in acting, is it not?”

“I guess so...” she answered. Kim took a few seconds to process his answers. When she did, she gave him another quizzical look. “So, you mean, you’re chickening out on your dream?”

“No, “ he replied. “I’m just buying time...I don’t know if I’m good enough yet to put it into paper.”

“Ahh...the classic self doubt.” She replied. “Every artist have to go through it. I can tell you now it’s just a state of mind!”

“I'm telling you, I’m not that good enough yet.” He answered.

“You can do it!” she cheered him on. “Just start it, you’ll see..."

“Thanks for the vote of confidence. But, you haven’t seen any of my writing yet. It’s rather ghastly! Next question...I know you can do better than those. Ask me...something more controversial.”

“I’m trying...” Kim racked her mind for a good question. She didn’t want to look like a stupid girl asking stupid questions. That's the last thing she wanted him to think. He did seem more intellectually stimulating than most of her dates were.

Kim eventually decided on this question, “What is your greatest fear?”

“That would be...not being original.” He answered curtly. “I’d rather be hated than be unoriginal.”

“Me too.” Kim said, surprised with how parallel their thoughts were on many levels.

“Question five, if this was our last date, what would be your memory of me?”

“Great question,” he remarked. “I think that would be your face when you entered the restaurant.”

“What about it?” Kim asked, suddenly feeling self-conscious.

“It’s like you’re being led to the guillotine.”

“Did I look like that?”

“Pretty much,” he said, smirking. “But, do you still feel the same now?”

“Can’t you tell...” Kim said, raising her eyebrow.

Indeed Gerald can tell she was more relaxed with his company. His confidence was at an all time high.

“Miss, your sixth question...”

“If I’m not who I am, will you still like me?” Kim asked, rather shyly.

“What do you expect me to say, no?” Gerald said. “You’re the most exquisite thing that ever walked the face of this planet! Of course I will still like you! You could just be selling banana fritters by the side walk and I would still notice you. You could be covered in soot and grime, yet you’d still look fabulous in it...”

“You’re a very clever writer...”

“I didn’t just say that because I want to please you, I said that because it’s the truth...”

“...and convincing too,” Kim added.

Gerald took another sip of the wine. How lucky was he to be in her company. Now, having her laugh at his useless quips and seemingly loving every minute of it, made Gerald the happiest man alive.
.
.
.

Kim looked at him differently now. Countless scenarios ran in her head, ranging from the immediate present, like how much she wanted to kiss him right now, and even to the near future, where she pictured herself holding hands with him, riding away into the sunset.

“You still have your last question...”Gerald said, his brown eyes sparkling.

“Yeah I do...” Kim said smiling. “Do you believe in fairy tales?”

“As a matter of fact I do...” He said with a smile.

Kim sighed inwardly. The complexity of emotions she was feeling right now was tremendous. Her head swirled with both confusion and admiration she didn’t know which is which. What she was sure though was that this young man in front her was no ordinary man. He could very well be the diamond in the rough she was looking for.

She sat back happily. The seven questions she asked brought a little bit of the real Gerald out. A part of his psyche was revealed. And this left her wanting for more.

“Now, it’s my turn...” he said. “Hmmm....seven questions....”

“I didn’t agree to an interview,” Kim said, gazing at his luscious lips. “It’s not part of the date I signed up for. TO interview me, that will cause you money...”

“Don’t be such a diva,” he retaliated, amusing Kim of his choice of words.

“Touche..." Kim replied. "Okay then, you've convinced me. But, you must promise me though, that what I would say right now, should remain between the two of us.”

“I promise,” he swore, holding his palm up in oath. “I will not sell my story/interview to the press!”

“You better!” Kim warned him. “If not, I’ll slap you with a restraining order that will make your head spin.”

“Okay, okay...grave threats don’t work on me...” he said jokingly. “Let’s start off easy. What is your greatest fear?”

“Uhmmm...That would be, people seeing me for who I am!” Kim said softly.

“And that would be?”

“An insecure and unhappy person...not as perfect as they want me to be...” Kim said, her eyes somewhat glassy.

“Kim, you can’t base your happiness on how other people feel about you!”

“I really don’t know what that means! My friends and family say that to me all the time, yet I always end up seeking other people’s approval. I don’t get it...”

“What I am trying to say is that...to me...you are perfect! No matter what other people say....”

“Wow, you really know your way with words,” she said, feeling slightly better.

“My sword and my shield...” Gerald answered. “On to the next question. Let’s be a little bit more trivial this time. What is the weirdest thing about you?”

“Why would you want to know about that?” Kim said, sipping her wine for a brief reprieve.

“Hey, I’m the one asking questions now...” Gerald reminded her. “ I want to know if you have this kind of weird genetic flaw or aberration in your character ....you know, to see for myself if I am willing to pursue you despite of it.”

Gerald’s candor made Kim blush. Kim loved how he looked at her.

“Well, I can twist myself into a pretzel!”

“That’s it?”

“It’s weird, isn’t it?”

“Nah...you’re hiding something,” he looked at her, gently probing into her thoughts.

Frankly, Kim had many weird things in her life. But, she will never reveal them as openly as this. She did want to scare him off, she wanted him to pursue her.

“Don’t worry, I’ll know them eventually....” Gerald said, rubbing his chin.

Kim laughed. Her plan worked brilliantly. A smart woman reveals herself layers at a time, not all in one shot.

“Next question please...” Kim said.

“Okay, are you ready for this?” Gerald said. “What is the one thing that makes you happy when you’re sad?”

“That’s easy enough...” Kim said. “A sappy, romance novel.”

“Romance novel?” Gerald said.

“Well, if I am depressed, all I needed to do was to go outside to the garden, grab a book and lose myself in a romantic novel...where the brave knight will sweep me off my feet, take me down from the high tower, away from the jealous queen stepmother.”

“Ah...the consummate romantic!” he deduced. “What could be more perfect? You, a reader. Me, a writer. We’re made for each other!”

“For a writer, you really are corny.”

“That is why I have no New York Times bestseller yet. My wit is holding me back.”

Kim giggled endlessly. There is something about him and his quick humor that she finds endearing. Even this long drawn out conversation was charming her relentlessly.

“Next question...” he said. “Do you believe in fairy tales and which one is your favourite?”

“Uhhmmm, obviously, I do believe in fairy tales," Kim said, thinking deeply. “My favourite is the little mermaid.”

“Nice, I love little mermaid. Sebastian the lobster is my favourite character, ever.”

“No...not the Disney version,” she explained. “I love the old Hans Christian Andersen version...wherein she sacrificed her life to protect the man she loves. At the end of it, she was unjustly turned into foam. Yet, despite of that, she cried happily as she saw him happy with his new bride. She was just content....floating away...”

Gerald happily mimicked her smushed up face as she described her favourite fairy tale to him. She mockingly threw her napkin at him.

“Ahhh.....that was sweet!” Gerald said. “You should’ve seen your face!”

“Hey! My face doesn’t go all gooey like that!”

“Okay, okay...truce.” Gerald said as she threatened to throw the salt shaker at him. “Question five...”

Kim nodded.

“Among the princes in fairy tales, who do you think I should be?”

Gerald gave her this clever look. He took pride in himself for coming up with that question. NO matter what name she said, will only confirm the fact that she saw her as a prince charming.

“Hmmm...I think Prince Eric!” she said, moving closer to him, eyeing him directly.

“From the little mermaid? Am I that good looking?”

“Nope, because he was a cheating scumbag!” she said. “He couldn’t even recognize love even it hit him on the face! He exchanged her for a sea witch with the bigger !”

He laughed relentlessly. She was really something...unexpected.

“Who are you?” he chortled. “Where is the sappy Kim I was talking to a while ago?”

“Just kidding,” she said. “I think you’d fit perfectly as Prince Eric...you do look like him!”

Deep inside Kim`s heart, the answer was simple. She wanted him to be the handsome prince. If she saw herself as the little mermaid, no other man is worth giving life for than for a Prince Eric. And this man seated across her, can fit perfectly into the role.

“Question six,” Gerald turned more serious now. “If you were the writer, how would you like your fairy tale to end?”

“Uhmmm....I would like my prince to put his hand over mine...take me away to a foreign land...and kiss all my pains away...”

Gerald looked deeply into her eyes. Then, he moved his hand slowly, enveloping her soft hand with his warm, chiselled one. He was indeed owning his part in her fairytale. Even his touch seemed right. His hand belonged with hers. It’s as if the final piece of the puzzle clicked into place. She smiled back at him. He grinned boyishly as he clasped her hand...like it was his for the taking, to keep forever.

Kim’s heart was racing. Looking into his eyes was like looking into a sea of eternity. She was never too sure of anything in her life. But, this guy --- a guy she knew less than a couple hours ago...was fast becoming her prince.

From all the questions they gave each other, Kim was very much convinced that he was a good guy and a good catch. She would like to get to know him more --- beyond the seven questions. Soon enough, she might have more than just these questions to ask him. Same with him, he will have more than just these seven questions to ask her. But, they will have their whole lifetime for that, a whole eternity to discover one another. What’s important now was that they found each other.

“Last question...” he said, his eyes focused on hers alone.

He spoke softly, but clearly.

“Do you believe in love at first sight?”

She answered, with all her heart. “Constantly....”

.
.
.
.
.

 

THE END