Our story.

Only A Breath Away

Kibum always spent a long time on the computer, everyone knew that. There were only a couple of things that Kibum ever really did with his time other than going to school. He danced, he went shopping, and he sat in front of the computer. That just about summed up his teenage years. 

To his friends and family, Kibum just liked being online and simply suffered the technology obsession his entire generation seemed to share. Little did they know Kibum did not view his time in front of a monitor as a simple pastime. To him, this was the only way to breach the wide distance between him and the most amazing person he had ever met in his life, on the other side of the world. Kim Jonghyun.

Jonghyun was funny, and sweet, and so irresistibly handsome; not to mention talented.

Kibum had formed a habit of going to him every time something happened in his life. It wasn't as if he lacked friends, he just shared such a strong bond with Jonghyun, he eventually found himself needing to hear his reactions, his advice to every event he told him. No one else in his life and proximity provided the insight and true thoughtfulness as he did. 

When Kibum fought with his family, Jonghyun responded instantly; so quickly that Kibum often forgot they were even in different time zones. Jonghyun's life was not any easier than Kibum's, but he was just so kind he always let him rant on and on without ever letting it show that perhaps he was going through something much worse. And that made Kibum love him all the more.

Jonghyun also went to him when he needed advice, which Kibum greatly appreciated and cherished, reassuring him that their bond was strong and mutual. Trust wasn't something that came easily to either, but they opened up to each other with such confidence, they soon found themselves wondering how they had gone though so much of their lives without each other.

Sometimes, Kibum would get caught up in schoolwork and social gatherings, leaving little time for his beloved. Yet, Jonghyun never showed any signs of frustration, instead often leaving him sweet short messages of encouragement and that always cheered Kibum up to an indescribable high. 

What could be better than coming home after turning in three essays and two projects, exhausted on a Friday night to check your inbox and finding one right at the top that simply says:

"Just remember I love you. I know you can make it!"

And so Kibum, only fell harder and harder for this sweet boy on the other side of the screen.

A lot of people find themselves wary of forming a relationship that is based online, with so many different horrible people out there who can trick you into thinking they're something they are not. But Kibum and Jonghyun never had to worry about this. They had somehow found the right person for each other and they were lucky to have done it so easily.

Kibum couldn't remember who sent the first selca, it was probably Jonghyun, since he was truly the king of selcas, but it could have been him as well. He was know for being vain, but Jonghyun didn't seem to mind, so he didn't either.

Kibum loved receiving photos in the mornings of Jonghyun's outfits with little captions describing his "look". 

Jonghyun was pretty free with his selcas, sending them often and inadvertently causing Kibum to have mini heart-attacks that he was glad Jonghyun was not able to see. 

Kibum on the other hand was much more sparse when it came to selcas and such, always looking for perfection before sending out something that didn't meet his standards; very high ones at that. Still, Kibum found the time to find just the right clothes, do his hair the way he likes and apply just the right amount of make-up so that an up to par picture could be sent out on rare occasions.

One of Kibum's favorite things to send pictures of, was his hair. As boring as that might sound, Kibum loved adding crazy colors, cutting it different lenghts and arranging his hair in different styles every few weeks. And so Jonghyun often received pictures of pink, blue and even green hair as Kibum changed his look as the seasons passed, although they both found that blond was his favorite of them all.

Jonghyun also sometimes did some wild things with his hair. The colors he would choose were not nearly as vibrant, or rather, obnoxious as he ones Kibum would choose, but they were still unique and suited him perfectly. Often times, Kibum wondered if some of his tendencies were rubbing off on him. 

Jonghyun seemed to enjoy learning things from Kibum though. Kibum and Jonghyun shared a single language, Korean, but Kibum lived in the States, so he mostly spoke English with others, so he would often teach Jonghyun a few phrases here and there. Sometimes Jonghyun would surprise him by looking things up by himself and sending him sweet messages of his voice saying romantic albeit embarrassing lines that Kibum would often be too embarrassed to send back. He didn't like to admit it, but sometimes he'd be going about his day, cleaning his room, watching tv, or- worst of all- at school with nothing to do when he'd see the notification of a new message. Audio clips were the bane of his existence as you can receive it without a single hint, and so as Kibum usually sat there with his face burning and a face-splitting grin across his face, he typed out a reply that never truly expressed how overwhelmed he always felt at that rich voice saying foreign words and as he silently hid his face before anyone noticed how affected he was. 

Kibum would always be glad that his most embarrassing moments were in private.

The first time Jonghyun sent a clip of him singing, he started screaming and replayed it about 20 times. Not that Jonghyun needed to know that. His voice always made him melt, but when paired with a rhythm and melody, his teenage hormones just couldn't contain it.

The first time Jonghyun wrote him a song, he was sitting in his room, alone at night and couldn't stop himself from crying. He didn't experience body-rocking sobs, but he bawled silently as he read the words over and over until his vision was so blurry, he couldn't even see an inch in front of his face.

Many of these things, Kibum was too proud to admit, so although he loved praising Jonghyun and expressing his importance in his life, he always found himself holding slightly back from all these intense emotions that the other boy brought him. 

He was just so happy that they had found each other. Distance to them was only and obstacle, not a deterrent. 

 


 

Kibum hated waiting in line. 

He had spent the last thirteen hours in a crowded plane with strangers and had finally achieved in repossessing his luggage, the only thing standing between him and the 'International Arrivals' door was a slow moving line of about six people at the customs desk. 

He had always been so far and it had never bothered him as much as these fifty meters of distance from that certain someone he knew was waiting behind the automatic doors. 

He tapped his foot impatiently as the amount of people in front of him lessened. 

Five people left... Four people... Three... Two... One...

"Hello Welcome to Korea may I see you passport?"

Kibum did not even see the man's face as he spoke to him, his mind was elsewhere, anxiously counting down to the moment he would cross that invisible barrier that had been between them all these years. 

The sounds around him began to quiet down until only a few things made it to his ears among a sea of silence.

The sound of the customs agent stamping his passport.

His feet pattering forward in his new comme des garçon platforms, prepared specially for this day. 

His heartbeat rate increasing to a loud thudding sound as he passed underneath the 'International Arrivals' sign and caught sight of a bright smile and blinding white hair waiting at the end of the ramp.

The sound of plastic wrapping crunching as Jonghyun's hand wrapped tighter around the bouquet of roses he held in one hand.

Kibum would have liked to say he wasn't crying, but a few tears were already slipping down his cheeks as he dropped his bags and wrapped his arms around the boy he loved the most. He could feel the roses pressing against his back as Jonghyun did the same.

At that moment, Kibum could only hear his own breath, heavy and uneven from the tears and excitement. As he pulled away, he realized that the breath he was hearing was not only his, but a mix of the two. 

"Hey there yeobo." Jonghyun managed lamely, his words shaky and his eyes wide with happiness.

Kibum had never experienced this before. Hearing Jonghyun's voice over a screen gave him time to gage his reaction and melt in private, but as he was overwhelmed with his presence right in from of him and nowhere to hide his true feelings, he suddenly started to laugh and cry at the same time. Jonghyun was doing just about the same. Their breath mingling in the middle and ghosting over their face as they held each other close without letting go.

He was finally there. And they were finally only a breath away.