The White Rose

Of lilas and white roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

The White Rose . 

Taemin was sitting in the bus station his big suitcase on the floor beside him. Bent down and face disappearing in his hands, he was about to cry, but he was a man and he couldn’t allow himself to do so, especially not in the street.

He still couldn’t imagine how this happened, he was supposed to be in his new apartment by now, unpacking his clothes, then taking a hot bath to relax from all the road. But no, he was sitting outside with his bag, with no clue as to what to do with himself right now. He couldn’t even call home because they were against him leaving his hometown for Seoul and telling them that he was tricked while he didn’t even step outside his house was a total no.

Because yes, that’s what happened. While planning for his new life here, he went by an advertisement for a house to rent. The offer was incredible, since the flat looked so good compared to the price, and he jumped on the opportunity, spending all his money on it, but after hours of road, a subway ride, and about five minutes’ walk, he was in front of the indicated address, but the house had already a whole family living in it, and there was no sign of the renter.

He had barely enough money to survive for a week, so he couldn’t go and rent a room somewhere else. He was going to find a job anyway, but finding it in an hour or two was something pretty impossible, so he decided to sit and think. The problem was that the more he thought the more depressive things seemed.

It has been three hours now of sitting and thinking, and darkness was all over the place. Maybe he’ll end up sleeping there.

He was still head down when he felt someone poking his shoulder so he looked up. An old man, with grey hair and wrinkled face was standing in front of him a worried look taking over him.

“Kid!”

He tried to force a smile.

“Anyeonghasseo ajhussi, how can I help you?”

The old man smiled slightly.

“It’s you who needs help apparently. You see that shop there?”

Taemin looked where he was showing him, to find his gaze fall on a cute little flower shop which was right across the street.

“Yes?”

“I was sitting there for the whole day, that’s where I work. And I saw how you didn’t budge from here. So I assumed you have nowhere to go.”

Taemin was embarrassed to bones when knowing that the old man kind of knew things were wrong for him, he wanted to lie and say that everything was fine, but his eyes gave him up, and well he wasn’t fine anyway.

“What is it boy?”

“I … I have been tricked and I have nowhere to go, and not enough money either.” He ended up admitting after hesitating as to tell him or not.

“I thought so, well come with me home first and we’ll discuss the rest there.”

Taemin tried to reject, but the man’s stubbornness was beyond his, and now, he was sitting in his living room.

The man lives alone apparently. He was sitting alone there as the old man went inside a room. He looked around not budging from his place afraid of disturbing the calmness. The house wasn’t big, but it felt cozy enough. Soon the old man came out in different clothes.

“Come”

And Taemin obliged, he got up taking his bag with him and followed him inside the second room.

“This will be your room from now on, and starting tomorrow, you’re working at my shop”

“Thank you for your kindness ajhussi but I can’t accept all this”

“You’re not arguing with me, the conversation is closed; now wash up, change your clothes and come out to eat”

No matter how Taemin tried, he ended up doing just as the old man asked, and the next day, he was leaving the small house with him to go open the shop.

Truth to be told, Taemin didn’t know one single thing concerning flowers, he just admires the colors and shapes, but the man took time to show him every name, how to take care of each one of them and how to arrange a bouquet. By 4 p.m. he was sitting in the corner learning by heart what he was told, and didn’t pay attention to all the costumers that come and go, since he wasn’t going to do much for them anyway. By the end of the day, every single flower had a name in his head and they left to go back home.  He ate till getting full, washed the dishes and went to sleep.

The second day was the same, but this time, the man made him sit behind the counter, and take the costumers’ orders. It wasn’t a hard task to do, since it only needed memorizing what they said, so he felt fine with it. Around midday, a young man came inside, and to his surprise he only greeted him and walked straight to the roses, took one and left the shop, and what made him wonder, was why the old man didn’t say much about it. He turned and looked at his benefactor, and the other just smiled.

“He comes every day and takes a rose, he never told me why, but he pays for 30 roses each month in advance. And since he has been doing it for a year now, he just takes it alone”

Taemin was surprised even more, as the idea seemed really weird. What was he doing with a rose every day? Even when having a lover it was absurd. He nodded then went back to looking at the passer by, as the old man arranged the flowers.

The third day, he didn’t sit behind the counter to take the orders, but took care of the flowers and prepared the orders. He got praised by the man since the costumers looked enchanted when looking at their flowers. Taemin on the other hand felt proud, maybe he was done for this, taking care of such beautiful creatures, and making them look even more beautiful by marrying them with each other to make people hap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter