Ofcourse I Do

Believing Magic

Believing Magic


 

Inside a living room in a dull apartment there were a couch, a medium sized TV infront of it, and a coffee table positioned between them. On it laid so many unfinished snacks and drinks enough to make a housewife's hands twitch. On the couch there laid a tangled mess of a couple cuddled together not really caring about what to watch. 

"How is he doing that?" The younger said suddenly, squinting her eyes as if there would be a hidden trick unmasked.

"Who?" Hyukjae asked, burying his face to Donghae’s hair.

The lover pointed towards the light emanating box, "Weren't you watching? That guy on TV."

There was showing a magic show and was on a particular act. One second the magician was drowning in the box, hands tied with chains that looked heavy enough to prevent someone from escaping. Then the curtains closed and once it was opened again the performer was nowhere to be seen. Only when the camera shot the audiences that they realized that the performer was sitting with them. A classic considered how advanced magic shows has become nowadays. But it's still mesmerizing to see someone who was this close to death survived in a relaxed manner.

"I'd like to know how did he do that," Declared the shorter, looking up to see the Hyukjae’s face.

Hyukjae laughed lightly, his usual gummy smile now is just a loop-sided teasing smile. "Well, don't you believe in magic?"

He scoffed. Getting up from his current position, sitting up with his arms crossed loosely infront of his chest.  "If that questions comes from you, then I know the only answer."

"Why so?"

"Hyuk," he sighed. "You're the most realistic people I've ever met. And to think that you're one to believe in things like that is just out of the questions."

The man didn't say anything to retort it. Instead he chuckled and beckoned Donghae back to his embrace,  "Come on. Let's go watch something else."

 


 

 I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't

No I don't, it's true


 

 

"Hey, Hyukjae?"

"Yes?"

"Can we, can we go somewhere tomorrow?"

"Why?"

"I just.. want to."

He looked at his phone for awhile. If it was another person be it his brother or a friend he would straight up decline it.  He had no time to do all those shenanigans, he'd rather be at home laying down playing his keyboard or just watching TV. All week long he had worked himself hard and he wouldn't want to do anything more than that on the weekend, he's just that type of person.

But somehow he found himself saying "It's okay. Let's go tomorrow."

... What's happening to me?

A kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you, Hyukkie."

 


 

I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't, no, I don't

Want anybody else but you


 

 

"If what they have been doing is nothing magical," Donghae asked one day when they were just sitting at a bench waiting for the bus to come and pick up both of them. The weather was windy and he was wearing Hyukjae's jacket. He pulled the sides of it so it hugged his frame tightly, "Why would they still be called Magicians?"

The older wasn't perplexed to hear his lover suddenly talk like that. In fact he'd been astonihed. Talking in a manner that is in no way making any sense means that they've thought of him as someone whom they can trust, and is comfortable with. And he was pleased with that.

So to try to answer her unique question, he tried his way of thinking. 

"Perhaps, so it'll give adults hope?" He tried slowly, somehow he was changing to a more open personality.  But he didn't fret, for it was nothing to be alienated of.

He peered slowly, inquisitive at his respond, "Hope?"

"Y-yeah." He scratched his nape, a nervous smile visible on his face. "People wouldn't realized that they are growing up. So when they wake up one day and found out that believing fairy tales and magical things are considered detestable must be devastating."

He caught an orange leaf which was falling and stared at it, autumn must be starting. He smiled and continued as he stared at the younger, "But if suddenly this.. "Magician" comes to them and offers to perform what people might see as unbelievable, maybe they could pretend that they still believe in magic. Maybe?"

Donghae laughed lightly and muttered, "So it is. It makes me feel inferior that believing in wonders are considered repulsive if you're an adult. But what can I do, it's the only bits of childhood that I still have."

Hyukjae was silent for a few seconds before coming to a conclusion, "Don't be sad. Maybe you're not alone at this?"

"Do you?"

A smile, "I believe in magic"

 

I believe in you.


 

Nowadays work had been all over their minds. Jobs and chores alike and there would be no time to just think and have a decent conversation at all. They only talk if Hyukjae loses his phone or if Donghae wants to borrow the car. Stress was no option and naturally it affected the minds of these people. At first it were just random little arguments. Then one of them just had to raise their voice. It goes on and on until one of them-usually the younger- ran from their shared room, silent tears visible on their faces while dragging a pillow and a blanket towards the couch. It took a toll on a quiet evening.

Call it magic, cut me into two

It was the end of autumn and signs of winter had begun to show. When the falling leafs had dried up, when trickles of white particles of snow began to fall slowly on the streets, when they left the apartment together in a purpose to maybe just fix things and be better again. Only for Hyukjae to come back  alone to the apartment at nighttime with the reminder in his brain that tomorrow while he's at work Donghae would come to the apartment only to pack all his things.

And start living on his own.

And with all your magic, I disappear from view

He sat on the couch, himself just looking down, his hand absentmindedly the material, while the other hand holding a ripped piece of picture that didn’t only tear the paper, but also his heart. This couch felt so much softer before. And the furniture just stayed unmoving as if judging him for what he'd done. As if mocking him that this was the place where he used to cuddle with him.

“We messed up. It's not working out anymore.”

What a classic.

“It's not you, it's just me.”

We've all heard that.

“I really hope you’ll be happy. You can stop believing in me now”.

...

And I can't get over, can't get over you

He threw away the TV remote with a frustrated huft.

And he was supposed to be the only hope for the poor excuse of what he called his life right now. He remembered being indifferent on everything and anything that happens around him until Donghae came and showed him the different ways to look at things, his own ways to look at things. To him, he was like another truth to be noted.

And he wasted that truth.

Way to go, Hyukjae.

Maybe his own indifference has rubbed off on the younger. And has finally made him suffocated. Ofcourse, how could he be so selfish. Maybe it's the law of nature. A pair that has nothing in common has no way to make it out together unless they separate.

Truth. And he'll just have to learn to deal with it.

 

Still, I call it magic, such a precious truth


 

Call it magic, call it true

 

It only took a month to pass to make Hyukjae realize that he's a complete inconsistent person. He was just taking a stroll from the baker and on his way back to his apartment. When he saw him again.

I call it magic when I'm with you

He slowed down his steps to look at him. This time the younger wasn't alone anymore. On his hand there intertwined somebody else's. No signs that it'll be loosening anytime soon. He also seemed happier than before. That person must've believed in magic too. More than Hyukjae will ever be.

And I just got broken, broken into two

When they were together, Donghae was his Magic. When they were not..

Still I call it magic, when I'm next to you

The shorter noticed him and his smile dimmed a little but quickly widened again, and more sincere as he lightly exchanged bows with Hyukjae as they crossed eachother’s path. As if he was saying thank you.

And if you were to ask me

Thank you for letting me go. Thank you for believing in magic. But I'm somebody else's magic now.

After all that we've been through

He’s now his Truth.

"Still believe in magic?"

But Donghae didn't know a single thing about Hyukjae’s Truth now did he?

Well yes, I do

Oh yes, I do

Of course I do

------------------

A/N: Song used: Magic - Coldplay