The Fight

Not Enough

"You're too dramatic for me, Baekhyun." Chanyeol's eyes rolled into the back of his head. I couldn't do this anymore.

"Oh, God. Get out of my bed. You’re not my style." I replied.

"Excuse you, my bed. It's my bed." Chanyeol paused for a moment to catch his breath. "You moved into my house and sleep in my bed."

"I thought it was ours?!" I yelled back.

"You started it saying get out of your bed. It was originally my bed, but I invited you in out of the goodness of my heart and now you are saying that you don't love me anymore." Chanyeol calmly replied.

"Your point is?" I snapped.

"Then you can get out of my bed. No cuddles for you tonight."

"You don't cuddle with me either way! All you do is cuddle your damn phone!"

"That’s because if I do cuddle you, you complain. I should have seen this coming... you always push me away and run to someone else. Fine! Go be with Jongdae. I don't care at all." 

"Jesus Christ, Chanyeol, when the did we get married? Last time I checked, I wasn't married to anybody. Especially not you." I paused, feeling my blood pressure beginning to rise. "You know what? Maybe I will go with Jongdae. At least he understands me." I hissed, knowing exactly what that would do to Chanyeol. I saw him visibly cringe at the thought of me being with Jongdae, but he needed to know how I was truly feeling.

“Fine. I don't care anymore. I see now that you have your other man. Just leave!” His deep voice had begun to quiver.

“I’ll just go. Jongdae lives closer to work anyways.” I coldly responded.

“Then what are you waiting for? Go! You don't want me anymore anyways.” I turned away from Chanyeol, no longer able to look him in the face.

“I should have known things were changing. You don't wait up for me to come home from work anymore. Your texts have become shallow conversations. You don't do the simple things for me anymore, like moving the van so I can go to work on time. You don't say good night to me anymore… I should have known things were different... Stupid me. Stupid Baekhyun.” I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes, but I was determined to never let Chanyeol see me cry.

“You say this but yet you are the one who says that I'm not your style. You say that I'm the one acting different but you're the one leaving me. I do wait for you after work, even if it doesn't seem like it. I count down the hours, the minutes until you open the front door and I hear the stupid alarm system announce your arrival. I've never been good at texting. The only reason I didn't move the van today is because I was so tired, I fell asleep right after you left for work. I'm sorry babe, please don't do this to me.” His voice broke after the last sentence. I wasn’t sure how much longer I could keep my argument without caving into him, like I did every time.

“You're begging me to stay, yet that's the second time you've told me to leave tonight. Maybe I should just go. This... This isn't working the way I thought it would. Every time I get home from work now you're either watching your dramas, reading a romance novel or sleeping. Was I not enough? I gave everything to you... A trip to Busan to see your favorite band perform live... a fridge so our food would be safe and just for us. Hell, I even put the food in the refrigerator for us. I bought you shoes for work and shoes for when you're running out of the house. Was it not enough? Was I not enough? Of course I'm not enough... who would love stupid old me... Definitely not you. You're too good for me. God, I'm such an idiot.” I sighed. I still couldn’t face Chanyeol. Tears were now a steady river down my face, but he couldn’t know that.

“You are enough for me. You've done so much for me that I can never pay back. I know I'm not really great at this whole relationship thing. I'm not good at expressing myself. Up until just recently, I had nothing to give you but myself. I promise, just give me a second chance, and I'll give you something worth it. Even though I had nothing, I gave you my bed to sleep in. Even though I gave you nothing, I tried to make you smile even you don't want to. I'm so grateful for the things you've given me, for the things you've done for me, even if I can't give anything in return. Please... I know I said to go... but please don't leave me.” His voice sounded distant, he was pleading with me. This was a side of Chanyeol I had never seen before.

“But you see, Chanyeol,” I started, trying to regain confidence in my voice. “If I give in and take you back, say I don’t go, that makes me look weak, like I can’t stick to my decisions, but if I go and don’t look back, I’m the bad guy. I lose either way.” Nice guys truly do finish last, huh?

“That doesn’t make you look weak, Baekhyun. Not to me.”

“To everyone else, people will think that I’m a push-over and that they can walk all over me.”

“Just... Don't you feel anything for me? Isn't that a good enough reason?” I didn’t have the words to say. I wasn’t sure what to say. I had feelings for Chanyeol, but I’m too much of a chicken for commitment. “Never mind, I’ll just leave.” I heard him take a few footsteps away from me.

I turned around to face him, I didn’t care about him seeing me cry at this point. “You can't even give me a solid reason for me to not leave.....Maybe I should go since it's your bed and your house…”

“I don't want it if you're not here! You're right. I can't give you a good enough reason because I can't even figure out why you've stayed for this long. I'm selfishly asking you to stay like I always do.” He turned around to face me too, his cheeks were wet with tears too.

“You wanna know why I've stayed for so long? Because I’m in love with you Chanyeol! Because you're the only one who has even seemed to give a about me. You took me in when nobody else would. Now you don’t care anymore.... you're so.....distant...”

“I just... I... I just... I said it already. I don't know. It's hard for me... I don't know what I'm supposed to do or what I'm supposed to say and I'm so afraid that I'll say the wrong thing and you'll leave me. Yet, even when I keep quiet, now you are trying to leave. I'm not trying to be distant. I just don't want to do the wrong thing.”

“I would rather you do the wrong thing than nothing at all! At least I'll have some idea as to what is running through your mind! You’re so quiet, it drives me absolutely insane. I can’t tell what you’re feeling about me because you keep it bottled in! How else am I supposed to know if you love me too or not?!” I yelled back.

“I don't even know what's running through my mind half the time. It's all just a jumbled mess. The only clear thoughts I ever find myself having are of you! How I'm happy to have you by my side, if even for the moment. How much I'd like to go on another trip with you. How much I miss you when you're gone. How bright your smile is...”

“Chanyeol stop… I can’t. Not tonight. I’m leaving.” I turned around and walked out of the door. He can’t even tell me that he’s in love with me.