Starry summer

ARRANGED

He was five years old when his mother found out her cousin was pregnant.

“Oh my, Jinsil, your baby will be a summer child!” His mother said to Jinsil auntie “summer children are known for being beautiful”

He didn’t understand the conversation after that, because the house maid put a bowl full of sweets on the table and Seunghyun gave himself the task to grab some for him while the adults couldn’t see him. His mother saw him and slapped his hand softly in warning; his cousin Siwon snickered at him for getting caught.

“Our family doctor says the baby might be an omega…”

Siwon skillfully took two of the sweets in front of him and hid them inside his hanbok. Seunghyun tried to grab another, but his mother’s stare stopped him halfway.

“Let’s join our houses, dear cousin”

He was allowed to go play in the garden with his cousins, only if he took Minho with him, which was very unfair. Minho was a baby, and babies didn’t know how to play anything.

“How many did you get?” Siwon asked him

He took the two squares of the sugared dough cakes he managed to thieve, careful of Minho’s grabby hands.

“I got more,” his cousin said as he took from his hanbok’s sleeves more than five “You’ll get better with time”

They sat by the old lion’s fountain at the back grounds of Seunghyun’s family’s state, it was the most ignored fountain because a round of trees was mostly hiding it from view, but it was still working with clear water, making it the favorite hiding place of Seunghyun. Siwon shared his share with him and Minho, carefully avoiding their other cousins’ eyes, so Seunghyun shared his too. They took off their foot wear and dipped their feet in the fountain’s cool water as they ate.

They wasted the afternoon away with the games their cousin Taeyeon invented and the gossip from cousin Heechul’s expert tongue. Even Minho found a place in their games thanks to Taeyeon fast thinking.

Goodbye time came too soon and Seunghyun found himself hugging his mother’s legs as he said goodbye from the house gates to all the people that came to his grandfather’s birthday gathering.

“It’s a good match” he heard his mother say as auntie Jinsil said goodbye from her pretty car.

 He was six years old when his fiancé was born.

“He’s an omega, brother in law. I’m very sure he’ll give your son many healthy children”

His fiancé was a baby, silk covering his wrinkled body and a mop of hair on his head. Seunghyun found himself frowning in disgust.

“You don’t like your cousin, Seunghyun?” his father asked.

“It’s a baby…” he said, nose still wrinkled.

“But he will grow so pretty you’ll want to marry him” his auntie Jinsil said “why don’t you hold him?”

The baby was too warm, and his hands flailed everywhere, as if he was drowning in Seunghyun’s arms “He doesn’t like me”

“Of course he does, but he doesn’t know how to prove it to you, so he moves his arms to catch your attention” his mother soothed him

“Oh! He opened his eyes for you, Seunghyun” aunt Jinsil said as he looked down the baby.

They weren’t the prettiest eyes he had seen in his life, Taeyeon’s were prettier, but they were as shiny as the brightest stars at night, maybe even more.

“What’s his name?” he asked as the baby stopped moving and slowly blinked at him.

“Taemin”