백현

A Dead Battery


"I'm home." He announced as he slung his bag to the ground.

How did this happen?
Oh yeah, I remember.
My stupidity.
See, I really did like Baekhyun at first, I swear I did. When I saw him, I got knots in my stomach and my words tended to trip over each other. My entire body heated up whenever I tried to talk to him, and i didn't know how to deal with it. But then I understood how ignorant he was and realized the pursuit wasn't worth my time. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't hate him or anything, I'm just not all too fond of him. I placed the blame of my momentary heartbreak on him. Some of his actions made me want to slap him, but I refrained from it.  I didn't let my discontent show that much, but I think he figured it out. That's probably why I'm in this situation.
Coincidentally, we both wanted to go to the same college. I wasn't aware of it at first, and neither was he. All of the girls here won't leave him alone, why is beyond me, but of course, I wanted nothing to do with him. It was for that reason that he cornered me that morning after orientation.

"Be my roommate" Baekhyun smiled menacingly as he backed me into a corner.
"What?" I let out a dry laugh in disbelief.
"You heard me." His smile brightened.
(Oh yeah, that's why I fell for him) 

"I'm sorry, I thought we established that I didn't Iike you."
"We did, that's why I want you as a roommate. You won't bug me, I won't bug you. You don't even have to pick up the rent, I'll cover it. All you have to do is help clean or make food. Come onnnn pleaseeeeee?" He began to wriggle around like a toddler. 
I tried to pull a quick one and run away, but he pulled me back into the corner.

His hands firmly grasped my shoulders and I hissed.
"Pretty pleaseeee?" He continued.
"Let go."
"Pleasssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
His incessant whining swayed me, and I agreed.
I mean, how bad could it be?

And it wasn't bad at all. I enjoyed these past two years, and looked forward to the two other years that had yet to greet us. Living with him was simple, all I had to do was cook and pick up the occasional mess left on our couch. I enjoyed his presence, and sometimes when he would sing in the shower, I would sit outside the door and listen. Sometimes, when I wouldn't understand some stupid math question, he would notice it and help me. Of course, most of our time spent together was silent, but it was never uncomfortable. If anything, I felt most comfortable around him.
But of course, I wouldn't let that show.
Why?
Because I'm not fond of him, remember?

 

 

I curled into a tighter ball than I was already in and shut my eyes forcefully
Maybe if I'm like this, he'll think I'm asleep.
Sounds good.
Yeah.

I heard the pitter patter of his feet as he padded around the apartment. 
"Thanks for the dinner." He chimed.
I smirked. I think it was safe to assume that he found the pasta dish I had made.
Turning in my bed, I pulled my blanket closer, balling the end of it in my fist.
After a few seconds of hearing nothing but the clock ticking and feeling nothing but my chest rising and falling, I heard my door creak open.
Shutting my eyes, I waited to hear some sarcastic or menacing comment. 
But I heard nothing.
The bed shifted underneath me, throwing me off my guard. 
The blanket lifted slightly, and the frosty breeze nipped at my bare legs.
Once it was let down, the warmth flooded back to my body.
I continued to put on the facade that I was asleep, turning from my left side to my right.
Allowing my eyes to open slightly, I caught a glance of what had caused my bed to shift.
I let out a dense sigh.


There he was again. 
Now, now. Don't jump to any conclusions. Baekhyun just likes to sleep with me sometimes. Nothing funny happens, he knows better than that and I know better than to allow that. We just sleep. Sure, sure, sometimes his arms find my waist and sometimes he likes to nuzzle his face into my neck, but that doesn't mean anything. Or, at least, he's never said to meant anything.
You're probably thinking, "why do you let him do that if you hate him?"
But remember, I said I didn't hate him.
I have to admit, I have a soft spot for the doofus.
He's too happy for his own good. It gets tiresome, always being happy, believe me, I know. That's why I gave up on it. But he's still hopeful. His eyes still light up when he greets a new day. He still likes to sing in the shower and to pet puppies on his way to class. He likes to hold the door open for others, and he likes to pay for other peoples' coffee. He looks forward to every little thing, whether it be some class project or just dragging me out for a walk. Sure, we don't talk much on our walks, yet he's always smiling whenever I turn to look at him. He is like a ray of sunshine, a flood of affection for those around him. But like I said, being so happy gets tiresome. 
There are days when the light drains from his eyes and when he doesn't feel like holding his shoulders up anymore. There are days when he needs to find comfort from someone else instead of giving it. But all of those girls that ooze over him aren't sincere, they do it because of his looks. That is probably what caused him to turn to me, making him back me into the corner that fateful day. I think he understood that although my feelings for him might not have been the most welcoming, they were genuine. 
That's why sometimes, just sometimes, on the days when he has lost all will, he joins me in my bed.  That is why sometimes, he needs to feel someone else's warmth instead of giving off his own.  That's why I let it go whenever he holds me so tight that I feel I might suffocate.  That's why I pretend not to feel my T-shirt dampen with his tears. That's why, just sometimes, he needs to recharge, and sometimes, just sometimes, I let it happen. Because I know how it feels to be so exhausted with life, and I know that he needs this time. 
Why me?
I don't even know.
I'm nothing special at all.
If anyone is special, it's him.
But I guess it's okay. I'm helping him, aren't i?

Just like the other nights, he wraps his arms around my waist. Gently, he pulls me closer to where he is, until the lines of his body mesh with the lines of mine. He nuzzles his face into my neck, inhaling my scent. I can tell that he is exhausted, and I don't blame him. The dude does so much in one day, which explains why he showed up so late.
"Hey." He lazily whispers, his husky voice sends shivers down my spine.
I don't respond, I'm asleep, remember?
He pulls me closer, and to my shock, it was possible. Now there is no distance between us.
His lips hovered over my neck as he spoke, "why do you let me do this if you hate me so much? I know you're not asleep, so answer."
My eyes scrunch together as I curse myself. 
I got caught.
I took a deep breath before speaking.
"I don't know what you are talking about."
I put on the guise of ignorance, feeling that if he was aware of my knowledge, it might hurt his pride in some way. But I was wrong.
"Yes you do."
Silence.
Silence is a mysterious thing, stretching seconds into hours and compressing hearts into pulp.
"You know I don't hate you." 
"Are you sure?" His eyes looked weighted with fatigue.
"I'm positive." I responded.
"Then...why do you let me," he tightened his grasp on my waist, "hold you like this?"
Okay, I admit it, I admit it, sometimes just sometimeees my heart melts from the inside out because of him.
"Because I know you need it." I let a deep breath escape my lips.
He nods, I can feel his head move up and down since it's resting on my neck. I can sense that he was touched by my response, I just feel it in his demeanor.
Steadily, he shifts himself so that his chin is now resting on the top of my head and my head is buried in his chest. 
"But what if I say that what I really need... is you?"
"What?" I try to pull away, shocked by his proposition.
Yet again, his fingers curl so that my body is trapped in them.
"What if I said that I loved you?"
"Baekhyun, let go of me, this is not funny." I snapped.
"I know it isn't. It's serious." His tone showed no shifts, his body made no movements.
For a while, silence engulfed us. I felt his heart race marathons in that moment, and mine probably did the same. His chest rose and sunk in sync with mine, and I felt his jaw clench in anticipation from the way his chin shifted in top of my head.
Hesitantly, he removed his fingers from their resting place on my skin, and lowered his body so that his eyes could look into mine.
I stared back at him the best I could, considering all of the lights were off and god do I have bad eyesight.
This instance, although dreadfully slow, felt as if it passed by in a second. His lips met mine, and oh were they soft. He tasted...sweet. I didn't have any strength to refuse him, and he took that as a signal to continue. Resting his hands on the back of my shoulders, he pulled me closer, deepening our kiss. It felt nice, the way his lips glided over mine. My heart ran as if it had never done so before, and that's when I accepted the fact I tried to deny for so long.
It had stayed in the back of my mind, pestering me like an insect, wanting me to acknowledge it. 
Now that I did, it shone bright like the sun on a June morning.
I don't hate him.
I liked him.
I had never stopped.
The fog that had covered my feelings began to clear, giving way to an answer I had  forgotten existed.
Hesitantly, I wrapped an arm around his torso.
He smiled into my lips, breaking our kiss for a second to whisper, "좋다."
Closing the distance between our lips again, he continued to smile into our kiss.
It was my turn to pull away.
I felt him lean in for another kiss, and I saw his shocked expression when his lips met the air.
He groaned in annoyance, causing me to snicker.
"Hey, Byun Baekhyun."
He hummed in response.
"You're going to be fine." I cooed as I ran my fingers through his soft hair.
Holding me again, he placed a kiss on my neck.
"I know." His raspy voice never failed to throw my heart around like a hurricane.

............

"It's all thanks to you."