Terrible Things

Because life can do terrible things.

A gust of wind blew into the room from the opened windowsas he leaned back onto the soft bed. The cool breeze brushed against his beautiful, wrinkled features complemented with large, pretty doe eyes. Luhan looked up tiredly and faced the figure sitting on his right as he smiled, eyes twinkling with adoration.

 

"Minhan-ah, it's your 25th birthday today,right? Sorry, Appa isn't feeling well. I couldn't get you a present, though aren't you too old for presents now?" Luhan laughs teasingly while smoothing out the creases on the mattress. "Neh, how about i sing you a song? I wrote this on the day you were supposed to be due, Minseok would've been so proud..." Minseok, the tone of his voice was so full of love that anyone would know who this beautiful man was head over heels for. 

 

His gentle voice resonates throughout the room, as he slowly turns back time. To the time where he was at the peak of his happiness in his life.

To the time when he was so in love and was loved

 

 

By the time I was your age, I'd give anything

 

To fall in love truly, was all i could think

 

That's when I met your mother, the girl of my dreams

 

The most beautiful woman, that I'd ever seen. 

 

 

The atmosphere of the EXO coffee shop was bustling and cheerful as usual. 

Three regular customers was seated at the corner of the shop, chatting happily when one of them

shouted "Happy 25th Birthday Lu-MAN !! It's finally our day off, so party's on for tonight alright ! And sure as hell we're gonna get some. " Baekhyun wiggled his eyebrows to which Kyungsoo smacked his head in disapproval. 

 

"Ignore this idoit, just have fun hyung" Baekhyun pouted at his owl eyed boyfriend while rubbing his throbbing head silently. "Thanks, you two. And Soo, try not to be too mean on the fiance" Luhan chuckled as Baekhyun began nodding in appreciation while giving Kyungsoo a

 pointed look. The said person shrugged it off, rolling his eyes at his best friend

 and fiance, muttering "peasants." 

 

The door chimed loudly, attracting Luhan's attention, when a beautiful raven haired girl walked in elegantly. The feline eyed female intrigued Luhan, with the aura of confidence, as she made her way towards the cashier waving enthusiastically to the worker.

 

 

 Luhan was realist.

He didn't believe in snappy, romantic cliche things like love at first sight. But having laid eyes on the goddess's

gummy smile, with cheeks puffing in the cutest way.

.

.

.

 

 His heart skipped a beat.

 

 

She said " Boy can i tell you a wonderful thing?

 

I can't help but notice you staring at me

 

I know I shouldn't say this, but i really believe

 

 I can tell by your eyes that you're in love with me"

 

 

To say Luhan is an idoit, is an understatement of the century. 

 

"Oh my god." a femine voice groaned. Her brand new shirt was soaked with coffee as she desperately tries to savage what's left of her now,  not-so-white shirt. " , im sorry. so sorry ! " Luhan cried out as he scrambled to offer his napkins, the only thing he could find at the moment. "It's okay, I'd admit. I was being too blunt by asking if you had a crush on me because you kept staring at me... Though I didn't thought I'd get a coffee shower instead. " the raven haired girl smiled, amused by the blushing cute guy infront of her. " Well, he's cute. " She thought. 

 

"Way to queue the first impression Lu-girly" Baekhyun snickered while slapping Luhan on the back. This caused everyone to burst out laughing, well except the one whom is laughed at.  " Lu-girly huh?  " the pretty girl giggled, eyes watery from the laughing fit. " It's Luhan. " The fuming deer corrected, as he crossed his arms and pouted.

 

" Let's not mind this poor excuse of a man. I'm Byun Baekhyun and this is my fiance, Do Kyungsoo. May i know of thy fair maiden's name?" Baekhyun bowed dramatically, raising his perfectly arched eyebrow. "Its Kim Minseok, Mr Byun or should i say Mr Do? " Minseok smirked.

" Awe, I like her already" Baekhyun grins and slung an arm over Minseok's shoulder.  

 

 

Now, son, I'm only telling you this 

 

Because life, can do terrible things.

 

 

Luhan looked at his phone for the millionth time, grinning creepily on the number saved as Minnie

 

He fumbled his phone for ten damn minutes before gainning the courage to simply press 'Call'.  "Hello?" a croaked voice answered, accompanied by a few coughs after. "Erm, this is Luhan. Are you alright, Minseok? " Luhan worriedly asked. Was it a bad timing ? When did she get sick? 

" Oh no no its fine,been puking and having headaches lately, a stomach bug i guess. So, Whats up?" she chirped happily, voice still pretty hoarsed.

 

"It's okay, I think it's a bad time for it. Remember to see a doctor, Minnie "

 

Oh , the did i just call her ? Oh oh shi- "Hahaha it's fine, it's fine. So, I've been wanting to see the new movie on friday. Wanna join me ? " Minseok curiously asked. Oh she didn't heard it, i guess. Wait. A date ? 

Luhan eyes went wide. "S-s-ure.. I mean yeah sure!" he stuttered not so 'manly'. 

"Okay then ! Meet me at the same coffee shop that day. And .. Minnie huh." amusement filled the other end of the line.

 

"uh, bye." Luhan ended the call with a blush slowly creeping up his cheeks. Way to be smooth, Luhan. Way to be smooth.

 

 

Now, most of the time we'd have too much to drink

 

And we'd laugh at the stars and we'd share everything

 

Too young to notice, and too dumb to care

 

Love was a story that couldn't compare

 

 

- Fast Forward - 

" Minnie ! Happy 1st Anniversary!!" Luhan shouts across the field as he ran towards the said female and engulfed her into a bone crushing hug. "Yeah, happy anniversary lu... " minseok replied coldly. "Minnie.. ? " Luhan yelped as minseok shove something onto him, mumbling curses quietly.

 

"A pregnancy test kit? Posi- WHAT. OH MINSEOK, AM I DADDY NOW? OH , I'M GOING TO BE A HOT DAD. " Luhan yelled, fists pumping the air. " THIS IS NO TIME TO BE CELEBRATING, YOU FETUS FACE. HOW AM I GOING TO RAISE A KID WHOM DAD HAS THE SAME MENTALITY AS ONE." Minseok exasperated, fists pounding onto Luhan's chest. 

 

Luhan held Minseok's tiny hands and stared at her, eyes full of determination "We are going to raise this baby alright ? I know where my responsibility lies

and we're going to work this together arasso ? And you are living with me, no objections. " Minseok smiled, a little shocked at the change. Maybe he is right. Maybe Luhan does make a good father.

 

" BUT, I CALL DIBS ON BABY'S NAME. IF IT'S A GIRL, I AM GOING TO CALL HER DAISY. IF IT'S A GUY, IT'S DONALD. " the ever so responsible dad squeals. Minseok face palms. 

 

Maybe Not. 

 

 

I said, "Girl, can I tell you a wonderful thing ?

 

I made you a present with paper and string

 

Open with care now, I'm asking you, please

 

You know that I love you, will you marry me? "

 

 

Minseok was five months pregnant then. She was in the hospital for check ups, when Luhan secretly went to buy a wedding ring. Minseok came home, blankly staring into space while Luhan came running out of the room in a suit. "Luhan wha-" Minseok was shushed by a finger to her lips, stunned at her boyfriend's antics. 

 

Luhan cleared his throat, feeling a little suffocated by the suit, nervously took out a  tiny black box. "Minseok. You know I'm not the best guy out there, heck even maybe the most idoitic person you'd ever met. But you chose me, you chose me to be your boyfriend, your first baby dad and definitely your last, mind you. You make me the happiest guy in the world.  I'm not really good with words but I know I am happy with you and I'm more than sure that I love you. So, will you, Kim Minseok, marry me ? " He knelt onto the ground as he opened the box, revealing a simple wedding band. 

 

 

Now, son, I'm only telling you this 

 

Because life can do terrible things

 

You'll learn, one day, I'll hope and I'll pray,

 

That God shows you differently

 

 

"Luhan.... I can't"

 

The once smiling face of the deer disappeared immediately, replacing with a confused frown. 

 

 

She said, "Boy can I tell you a terrible thing? 

 

It seems that I'm sick and I've only got weeks

 

Please don't be sad now, I really believe,

 

You were the greatest thing that ever happened to me."

 

 

"I'm sorry Luhan. I want to say yes,  I really want to but the doctor found out that I have brain cancer, the last stage. I'm not going to make it. "

 Minseok wailed as she slumped onto the couch, crying.

 

 

Slow, so slow I fell to the ground on my knees 

 

 

The world just came crashing down onto Luhan. The black box now, fell onto the ground with a loud deafening thud.

His eyes widen in disbelieve, cancer ? the last stage? stage ing four ? A look at Minseok, he knows that she's not lying one bit. How? We were so happy, why now? Memories of the times spent in the past year slowly flashed through his eyes, just like rewatching a flim. Only this wasn't fictional.  

This was happening to him.

 

 

After the reality finally sank in, Luhan broke the silence.

 "How long do you have left...?" He whimpered. " A few weeks... " Minseok softly whispered, in between sobs of I'm so sorrys. 

 

So don't fall in love, there's just too much to lose

 

If you're give the choice, then I beg you to choose

 

To walk away, walk away, don't let her get you

 

I can't bear to see the same happen to you 

 

Luhan opened his eyes as he came back to the present. His cheeks stained with tears, missing his lover terribly and her beautiful smile that shined so bright, that even the stars couldn't compare. He turned to his right, carressing his five months old son's photograph. It was taken on that tragic day, when his world turned for the worst. 

 

"Minhan-ah, you would've been all grown up now. Marrying a woman of your dreams, or even a man. Who would stop you right ? I really didn't want you to go like you mother did... " he clutched his weak heart as the beeping of different machines hooked up around his bed, got louder, echo-ing throughout the room. 

 

"Maybe, I'll even meet you guys soon... "

 

Now, son, I'm only telling you this

Because life can do terrible things