A Terrible Life

The Labyrinth Trials (Hiatus for now)

First chapter^^ Thanks for the 6 subscribers and 2 upvotes! :) I hope you won't be disappointed.

~~~

Deep breath...block. Block again...punch left. Whirlwind kick...punch right.
 

Tao blocks the instructor again. He does another whirlwind kick to distract, then ends the attack with a punch to the chest. The instructor gives the signal to stop fighting, and Tao goes back to starting stance.

"Good, Zitao. Your hand-to-hand combat is very good. Now, time for weapons." Tao bows and goes to select his weapon. His weapon of choice is the staff. 

Tao gets in the starting stance and the instructor gives the signal to begin. He twirls the staff above his head and then in front of him. He envisions an enemy and strikes the imaginary person.

The staff cuts through the air, a whistling noise being heard. He does this several times before he jumps, flips in the air, and swings the staff for the final time. The instructor gives the signal to stop.

"Your weapon skill is very good as well. Put the staff away and gather your things. It is time to leave."

"Master, please don't make me go home." The instructor sighs and walks to Tao. He pats his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Zitao. I have no control. Everyone has to leave at this time, and you should be at home." Tao nods sadly and puts the staff back up. He collects his stuff and bows goodbye to the instructor, who bows back.

Tao starts his way home, slowly. He wishes for the old days. He wants to be back in his childhood, so he would still have his mom.

His mother died when he was thirteen. His father mourned for one year before he remarried. Tao is still mourning.

His stepmother is like the evil one from the old fairytale, and Tao is Cinderella. Sadly, there isn't a prince waiting to rescue him from this life. His stepmother, Tiffany, has turned his father against him.

She does bad things and blames it on Tao. He tries to tell his father the truth, but he never believes it. He only takes his wife's side.

This is why he hasn't stopped practicing Wushu. If Tiffany attacks him, he wants to be able to fight back. Luckily, she hasn't tried anything yet.

Tao reaches his house and sneaks inside. He sneaks because it is past curfew and he doesn't want to run into his parents. He goes to his haven.

You would think it's his room, but it's not. His haven is his baby brother's bedroom. He always goes to his brother. His parents never go in there. They completely ignore him. Tao often thiks that's better than the way they treat him.

The moment Tao sees that bright smile on the cute kid's face, his day is brightened. Right when he steps into the room, his brother starts babbling and reaches out, expecting to be picked up. Tao does just that.

"Hey, Yitao. How was your day? Boring? I bet it was, but don't fret. I'm here, now." Yitao gives his brother a kiss on the cheek and plays with his hair.

Tao is about to return the favor, but someone knocks on the door. "Zitao, may I see you? Come to the family room. I need to have a word with you." Tao cringes at how sweet Tiffany's voice sounds. She doesn't even come in her own son's room.

"Yes, Stepmother." Tao gently places Yitao back in his crib. He kisses his forehead and pulls the blankets over him. He turns off the lights as he leaves. "I love you, Yitao. Sweet dreams." He loves his brother to death. Yitao might be his half-brother, but his brother nontheless.

Tao goes downstairs and into the family room. Family room...what family? Tiffany is sitting on the couch, and she isn't alone. A policeman is standing in front of her. They both stare at Tao when he walks into the room.

"Zitao, this is Officer Bang Yongguk. He is here to tell us awful news."

"Hello, Officer," Tao says respectfully. The officer bows and tips his hat.

"Hello, Zitao. Now, I was just telling your mother-"

"Stepmother," Tao and Tiffany says in unison. The officer looks at them weirdly.

"-stepmother the tragic news. Your father's car was found in a ditch. We suspect that he went over the cliff that is above the ditch. I'm afraid your father didn't make it. I'm sorry for your loss." He bows in respect and Tiffany shows him to the door.

Tao couldn't move. He is frozen. Didn't make it... Tao wasn't even able to dodge the fist that came flying at his face.

"This is your fault! You are the reason that he was out there! He heard there was going to be a storm, so he went out to look for you. I should have told him to let you die!" Tiffany punches him again and again. After who knows how long, Tiffany has tired herself out and fainted, due to exhaustion. 

Tao pushes himself from the floor. He trudges up the stairs to his room. He would have gone to Yitao's, but he didn't want to wake him up and scare him. He's sure his beated-up face would give him a fright.

 He still couldn't believe that his father is dead. He is worried that Tiffany would do even worse, now. What if she goes after Yitao? Tao would rather kill himself than allow any harm to come to Yitao. He will protect him with his life.

 When he enters his room, he goes straight to the bed. He doesn't wash up or gets undressed. He just falls onto his bed, with clothes and shoes on, and goes to sleep. Sadly, it is not a dreamless sleep. Once again, Tao has to face his nightmares.

~~~

How was it?^^

Comments and subscribers are appreciated :)

Until the next chapter xD