Reminiscence

The Red Thread

 

 

{ Chapter One: Reminiscence }



 

Seoul, 2014.

 

“Honey, what do you want for dinner?”

Hyeri turned around and tucked her brown shoulder-length hair behind her ear, crooking a smile. “Anything’s good.”

The warmth resonated around the beige painted room, full in contrast of the cold weather outside. Funny how summer had only started, but it was freezing cold that Hyeri had asked her husband to light the fire by the fireplace. Crackling sound from it made the room didn’t sound empty. White curtains folded neatly framing the glass window just beside the modern cemented fireplace. The voice of a guy chuckling was heard, “What’re you doing? Spacing out again?” He walked closer to his wife and his hand on her sleek hair. Hyeri closed her eyes as the guy kissed her forehead. “What were you thinking?”

The girl inhaled a good amount of air and shrugged. Her love went to the kitchen and took a frying pan. Shifting herself from the black sofa in the living room, Hyeri trailed her eyes on the man’s back. Supporting her cheek with her hand, she couldn’t restrain her smile. “I want spaghetti.”

The man turned around and tied the blue apron while grinning. “Want to help me, then?” The girl giggled and shook her head no, “No.” The former could only chuckle at his wife’s childish act. She turned around facing the huge window of their home, water droplets falling on the cold surface. Her fingertips reached for her phone placed just beside a stack of read magazines and newspapers. Unlocking it, she saw the date located on the middle of her phone screen.

 

‘It’s that day again.’

Slowly, she drifted into her thoughts.

 

Slowly, she reminisced it all.

 

 

London, 2004.

 

“I’ve eaten my breakfast, oppa, quit worrying,” said the girl with a messy bun and pink ribbon dangling on her blonde hair. Dressed in a printed red tee and ironed khakis, she stomped on her 1 inch stilettos urgently into her next class in one sunny afternoon. Her tote bag was heavy with thick and smart-looking books, and the pain on her shoulder started to get bigger by every minute. Her steps were tiny, for her legs weren’t model-length.

The school was obviously crowded, since it was the first day of the new semester. It was Hyeri’s first day of being a senior, of being a third-semester student in The Bartlett School of Architecture. The building was grand, and sophisticated. London’s air was fresh and mild, for there were so many shady huge trees planted on the eco-loving front yard of the school complex. The sun’s beam was warm, and Hyeri wondered, what would it be like to sit on the grass and just watch the clouds moving.

The man across the line replied, “I just don’t want you to get sick, alright?” Hyeri bit on her lower lip to prevent a smile from appearing, because seriously, for how much longer did she has to smile? Problem was, stopping herself from smiling was a difficult thing to do, if it was because of Jaehwan. She swore, her cheekbones hurt.

“Oppa, seriously,” she whined, moving a strand of blonde hair away from her face, sighing—while still smiling.

“Okay, I’m just kidding, but I’m serious, but I’m kidding too, get it?” Jaehwan replied, voice thick with wittiness. “You’re already at school?”

Hyeri nodded, “M-hm. You at home now?”

“Yes I am.”

“Oh,” Hyeri replied shortly. “The cost will be expensive, y’know? This is international call, and we’ve been talking for 5 minutes.”

“Don’t worry, it’s just a phone call.” Hyeri smiled—again. “Besides, this is your first day of your third semester! I just want to wish you luck. Okay then, have a good time studying, babe. I’ll Skype you later.”

“Bye, you too, oppa.”

The line was terminated after they exchanged sweet ‘I love you, chu’s. Typical Hyeri and Jaehwan’s goodbyes. They’ve been in a relationship for two lovely years, Hyeri was still in high-school that time. Last year, they agreed to this long-distance and risky relationship, and fortunately, they’re still doing really well. First days were torture for both of them to be frankly saying. There were days where Hyeri miss Jaehwan to the point where she cried. But after a while she could eventually get used to the situation.

She decided to fiddle with her phone, and replied to some messages her friend had sent her earlier this morning. Soon as she realized that she had less than 10 minutes to her first class, a gasp slurred from her lips and she quickened her pace. Too bad the hall was too crowded for her to run like a jet. In the midst of people, who mostly smelled like cologne, Hyeri squeezed in.

“Sorry, sorry, ‘scuse me,” Hyeri stuttered, eyes fixated to the front. When she thought she could finally run freely into her class, she couldn’t. Not when a boy with plaid button up suddenly appeared out of nowhere and clashed with Hyeri. Next thing she realized was books scattered on the floor, though still unsure whether they were hers, or his.

“Oh, gosh, I’m so, sorry,” Hyeri hissed in fluent English, and native accent was clearly heard. She wasted no time in picking up those books, and soon the boy followed by squatting in front of her, picking up his books. Soon after they’ve collected them all, both stood up with Hyeri handing the books—after making sure that her books were actually safe inside her tote. “Here you go.”

The boy seemed awkward. He probably wasn’t too confident about his English, for he didn’t speak any word. Not forgetting his manner, and to show his gratitude, he rather bow instead of saying thank you. Before Hyeri could reply, the boy had already walked away, joining the mass of students at the hall.

Raising one eyebrow, Hyeri whispered to herself in Korean, “He looks Korean,” and scratched her head. Hyeri decided to shrug it off, for not only Koreans who bow.[]

 

To be Continued



 

Author's Note: hello, first chapter for Red Thread, who's excited? haha xD anyways, this is a short one. hope you'll like it! please pay attention to the time and place that i wrote! ^^ subscribe so you won't miss the 2nd chapter, k? don't forget to upvote and leave a comment below<3 thank you :)