The Performance

Curing Nervousness

"Jongin-ah, are you almost ready?" The shorter male leaned against the wall next to the dressing room, still fully clothed from his last performance. He knocked on the door, hoping to at least be able to see Jongin once before the boy goes out for his solo.

"Hang on a second," he answered from inside, obviously nervous. Kyungsoo turned to face his back against the wall and sighed. He knew Jongin was trying to stall, but he had to come out of there some time.

"I've been hanging on for 15 minutes. Stop procrastinating." If he was going to get Jongin out of that room, he needed to be assertive. After a few moments of silence, the door slowly creaked open and out trudged a nervous wreck of a boy.

Jongin cupped the sides of his face. "I can't do this, hyung." He tried some loud breathing exercises to calm himself down, if that was possible, and paced back and forth. His attempt at calming resulted ineffective and he continued whispering to himself, "I can't do this," over and over again. Kyungsoo could feel the younger boy's radiating fear and worry and he stepped in to place his hands on Jongin's shoulders for the sake of everyone's nerves, forcing him to halt.

He looked into his eyes, making sure the message got across. "Stop saying that, Jongin. You're gonna be perfectly fine, okay? You can do this." He ended with a hopeful smile and Jongin dropped his hands from the sides of his face to barely return it.

Jongin's smile grew and he then moved his hands to cup either side of Kyungsoo's face, playfully stating as the boy seemed taken aback, "you're so cute when you try to cheer me up, soo."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Cute? I thought I told you not to call me that anymore," he said with squished cheeks, before the younger boy then removed his hands. Jongin held back a laugh because it was obviously quite the opposite, but he let his boyfriend have his thoughts.

Jongin was becoming decreasingly nervous and Kyungsoo saw it. For the boy's sake, Kyungsoo happily let himself be teased (this is the only time he'll get away with it).

"Why can't I call you cute? It's the only word that describes you." Kyungsoo pretended to hit him, and Jongin half-heartedly dodged, taking a few steps back. "Come on, hyung, you know it's true," he added. A few seconds later, Jongin reached out his arms and waited for Kyungsoo to come closer and when he just folded his arms across his chest and looked away, he waved his hands to try and get the boy's favor and attention. He still didn't respond and Jongin pouted and instead of waiting for the smaller boy to come closer, he went in to slowly wrap his arms around Kyungsoo's shoulders, bringing their bodies closer together.

"Don't be mad at me, soo~" Jongin laughed and waited through another few seconds of his pouting before he finally gave in and brought his arms around the boy's torso.

"I'm not mad. And it's not true."

Jongin just let it be... and it was almost time for his performance. An announcement was made that he had five minutes until showtime and his nerves were starting to get to him again. He pulled away from the hug and Kyungsoo could notice him getting tense for a second time.

"Don't be nervous. Just act like you're in the practice room and you'll be great." He was 99.9% sure Jongin would be as amazing as usual. He was always placed in front for basically every choreography they had as a group, so this shouldn't be such a big deal. And it wasn't much of a difference, right? But it was still Kyungsoo's job to try and make him feel better, or more at ease, so that's what he did.

As time fell shorter by the minute, Jongin's heart rate sped up as he made his way near where he would be entering the stage. Kyungsoo followed behind him, holding onto his hand to give him comfort.

"Just relax," he tried to help, but there was not much else he could say, "and take deep breaths." Jongin did as he instructed and he now had 30 seconds.

He turned to look down at Kyungsoo and gave him a determined smile, "thanks for helping me out, soo."

Kyungsoo smiled back and nodded before giving a playful reply, "it is my job, after all." He made a small laugh and Jongin softened his expression as he bent down to place a soft kiss on Kyungsoo's lips. His eyes widened in surprise, but soon blinked closed as he kissed back, lasting a second too long. Kyungsoo pulled back first and Jongin frowned because the last thing he wanted to do was go on stage when he could be kissing his boyfriend instead.

Kyungsoo noticed his frown and made a remark, "Jongin-ah, is it really that disappointing?" He half-smirked at the look on his face.

"It is," he simply answered as he slowly stepped up the stairs with 10 seconds left on the clock.

Kyungsoo cheekily replied from at the bottom of the stairs, "then just wait until after your performance." Jongin tried not to look too excited but at least his mind wasn't feeling as nervous as it was before.

It was now his turn to go on stage and as he began making his way through the entrance, Kyungsoo yelled from behind, "good luck, Jongin-ah!" and all he wanted was to get this performance over with.

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N WOOOOOOO KAISOOOOOO

I wrote this in one sitting and I don't even care because it is now 5:16 AM and it was so worth it imo. What did you guys think?

This isn't even 1000 words, wow. But oh well, hehe. I guess this is more of a drabble? Or is this too long to be considered a drabble?

But still, I really liked this and hope you did too~

Thanks for reading ;D