absence.

The path I took.

The path I took.

 

- - - - - - -

 

I find it difficult to wake up when the first thing that welcomes me is a heavy cloud of emotions hovering over my mind.

My eyes spy the surroundings and a vague of familiarity washes over me. In front of me stands a vet and it used to be a pet shop.

It strikes me and I almost tumble back down to the drainage gate I woke up next to the sidewalk.

RyuMoon Veterinary.

She was the reason I brought a kitten before the shop closed down. The place, put up for sale, later became our joint business when she told me she noticed an increase in injured animals.

She was too nice.

A mysterious air makes up the ambience. This part of the neighborhood became a mess, with old torn cardboards signalling the place was on sale and graffiti adding colours over the windows. All because of me, I think.

The neighborhood reeks of the dead. It is abnormally silent in here.

I walk up to the broken framework, hearing the shards of glass crack under my feet. My reflection portrays my face painted with fatigue. My eyes look blood shot, retaining ugly memories. I catch a glimpse of a disfigured person just next to my image.

I jerk back, scared of the sudden appearance. To my surprise, when I turn around, it is her.

“Hello Sera, are you doing fine?” She states in a calm yet joyful tone.

Moon Hyuna. Does she not recall me? She glows in her oblivious state.

“My name is Moon. And I’ll be your guide.”

I know. Again, that happy-sounding voice. It irritates me to death. I stare at her, still in a tensed stance.

“Earth to Sera, have you gone to the moon?” She waves a hand and tilts her head. “Or more like, the moon has come to you.” She chuckles at her own reference.

I smack her hand away and I feel anger rising in my heart. I hate the one that got you here, to this.

She lifts an eyebrow and rubs her now-turning-red hand. I feel bad.

I manage a faint “Sorry”.

“It’s okay.” She flashes a smile. “Now if you’ll be coming after me.”

I follow suite as she tours me around town. With her hands behind her back, she hums a song. It’s still empty around.

“For you to have come until here must been mean you’re still stuck.”

Stuck? Where?

“In the past. You still haven’t let go of the events.”

“No… don’t remind me of what I’ve wanted to escape.”

“Thinking everything will get repaired if you visit the locations of your happiest memories.”

I’ve always hated it when you outsmarted me even if I was the intelligent one with the rational ideas.

A fog blurs my visibility. I feel dizzy. I walk a few steps while she stays immobile. I fall in her arms.

I feel tears building up in my eyes and they itch like crazy. I could pop them out with a fork if I had one right this instant.

It’s the first stage.

“It was hell and your plans fell through.”

I just want to cry. Get rid of every liquid in my body, be it salty water or blood.

A swirl of smoke engulfs us both, as if serenading to unconsciousness. It swells up my nostrils and the stinging pain won’t go away. My grip on her arms tightens. The smell of burnt disgusts me at this point.

It’s the second stage.

“From that day on, you just compared yourself to trash. Do you remember that alley with the garbage bags?” She points at some remote location, in a complete mess. “Or the third floor of this construction site?” She turns me around, lifting my chin to forcefully make me look at them.

My head seems heavy as it throws itself down. My hands look like they’ve been dipped into white powder. I feel motion sickness.

I finally pour all that I had kept in my aching heart. Her death had left me empty and void of emotions when I heard the news. She took a blow for someone,, right in front of my eyes, but I prayed she would survive.

Again, she was way too nice.

Meanwhile I sold off her business and donated large sums to orgaisations with a good cause, just like when would probably have wished for me to do if she was still alive.

But I got addicted, to the wrong path.

I lift my head from the stained shirt of Hyuna. The same one who died years ago. My eyes stay locked in hers. Her warm smile reassures me.

“If you want, you could ease the pain… By joining her.”

But who she is really? She’s the beginning and the ending of the third stage. She’s the product of my depression. She’s my addiction.

Without thinking over her words, I hold her hands desperately and weep.

“Let me be back together with her… Please.”

She pats my head, like she used to. “Close your eyes and continue what you were doing.” She steps aside.

That’s the cue for the end of this. The gloom dissipates. The final shot’s effects come into play.

 

 

Her head lumps on the edge of the muddy bath tub like a heavy log and her mutilated meatless arm slides down to her lap, her teeth loosening their grip on the long length of plastic rubber attached around above her elbow.

Her eyelids fall heavily on her darkened eye bags. She is free, at least, from this nightmare. Her messy hair sticks to her sweaty forehead as she mutters over a slight smile, “Finally.”

The syringe lies empty to the lifeless body. Ryu Sera: Death from heroin addiction, from sniffing to shots. Symptoms: Dizziness, hallucinations, depression, dramatic weight loss, insanity.

 

The bathroom door creeks as it is pushed open. The ‘Verifier’ comes to take a look at his customer, while wiping off a line of white over his lips. He turns his head to the inside rooms with an amused smile.

“Hey, I think the bathroom addict is a goner now!”

 

- - - - - - -

 

AN: okay it isn’t all that special, I was preparing/writing down ideas for Wait a-OOPS! and a sequel for Moon went Gom but I just got distracted by drug documentaries on youtube and…. Yeah….. I also read some articles. And idk why but the idea feels déjà vu???? S/O to the one who inspired me, whoever you are and if there’s srsly someone that should take the credits. And sorry it’s short, I just wanted this off my mind quickly!!
Nevermind that, I knooooow, it’s not a happy dappy oneshot and should this be classified as tw? I’ll put that just in case…
And guess what, I was writing this at 12am and dad saw the flickering lights of the modem, indicating that I was using it and not sleeping………. He suddenly cut the wifi so I think future me will post this in the morning