1

Sparks Fly

I've known Donghyun for my whole life. We were both neighbours, went to the same kindergarten, same school and high school. I also liked him a lot. But, I never told him. I was always scared that it would become awkward and our friendship would end there. It was the last year. I have to make it happen.

I've liked him for a while, but he was my only friend. I didn't have a girl best friend or anything, to spill my feelings out to. I was alone, really. Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I didn't meet him, how miserable it would be. 

"Hey, stop dreaming." he elbowed me, one day in Maths class. "You are going to fail this test, if you don't listen to this." 

I sighed. Algebra was my worst subject, and I seemed to always forget that when I enter the daydream world.

"I'm going out to get some worksheets and notes for you, Donghyun, please take care of the class." the teacher said, before he went out of the door.

Donghyun was a prefect. He was at the top of the class, everyone knew about his achievements and on top of it all - he was good looking. Every girl in the class had a crush on him. Even if they didn't want to admit it, you can see it in their eyes when he passes by to hand out books.

Right after the teacher walked out of the door, everyone ran out of their seats and sat with their friends. They started chatting and laughing and making jokes. It was noisy. I tried to concentrate, I seriously can't fail my Maths paper. It would ruin my chances of getting into the college I want to get in.

The thing about Donghyun was, that he wasn't a party pooper. He is expected by teachers to take care of the class. That's exactly what he does, he doesn't into their problems. That's a good classmate, right there. Don't into other people's problems and you'll fit into school.

"You're having problems doing the questions?" he said. He always knew when I was having difficulties with things, and he always knew how to fix them. "Give me a pencil, I'll teach you."

Donghyun sat on my right and he bends towards me, everytime he senses a problem. He leaned his hands against seat of my chair. "And you just multiply it like that."

"Thanks," I said. 

He handed me back the pencil. I put it on the table, just in case he needs to use it again.

Suddenly, a hand reaches out to grab the pencil. My reflexes weren't fast enough, and he grabbed it. I looked up. 

Youngmin.

He spun the pencil a few times around his fingers. "Good pencil, fun for spinning."

I stood up. "Give me back my pencil." I held out my hand towards him. He looked at my palm pitifully and looked at me, interested.

"If you," he spun the pencil once. "Date me, I'll give it back." he grabbed my arm and pushed me lightly me to a wall. "You're pretty, up close."

"Am I not pretty from far?" I sarcastically said. I could see Donghyun walking towards us, from behind Youngmin's shoulder.

"Hey, stop it." Donghyun put his hand on Youngmin's shoulder. He shook it off. "Leave her alone."

Youngmin turned around and dropped the pencil. "Pick it up then, if you want it so much." Donghyun crouched down to pick up the pencil. Just as he was about to stand up, Youngmin kicked him in the leg. 

"Teacher's coming back! Sit down!" someone shouted from the other side of the classroom.

Youngmin quickly ran to his seat, trying to act as innocent as possible. I helped Donghyun up. He limped towards his seat and sat down. His chair made a screeching noise.

The teacher entered. He held a pile of papers in his hands. 

"Good news, guys. Homework!"

Everyone groaned.

*

"Are you crazy?" I shouted at Donghyun, after school. But, he kept quiet. "It was just a pencil, you didn't have to do interrupt him." He always did this when he was regretful. His feet shuffled whenever he walked a step. He kept looking down. This was so unlike him. 

We continued walking like that for 10 minutes. It started to get intimidating.

"Hey, stop being like that." my tone softened. "Why are you feeling regretful anyway? Oh god, you're impossible. You shouldn't have interrupted him like that, you know what he can do with that leg of his." my brain was constructing sentences that didn't make much sense.

He still kept quiet and shuffled his feet. The only thing that changed was that his back became straighter.

"Did you see Joon after he tried to pick up a fight with Youn-"

Donghyun held my hand. I immediately kept quiet. My heart started to beat quickly.

"Shut up. You don't like it when I'm quiet but I like it when you are." he said, head still down.

"Kim Donghyun, what are yo-" He pulled me closer. We were hugging and our lips were 2 centimetres apart. "Doing."

There was a moment of silence for a few seconds. I could hear the birds chirping across the sky, and the sound of an airplane flying.

"What did I tell you?"

"To shut up."

"And?"

"I didn't obey you?"

"And?"

"How am I supposed to know what happens?" 

The two centimetres decreased to a centimetre. The birds started to become softer and I could feel my heart beating even louder.

"And I'm supposed to make you shut up." he whispered.

And it happened. The world stopped for a while when he pressed his lips to mine. It was a weird feeling, my head was dizzy and my eyes, closed. It seemed like something that I've been waiting for, and I never wanted it to end. I've known him for 8 years, but I've never known him as someone like this. Abruptly, he pulled away.

"I love you." he whispered.