Chapter 13

The Great Story

                April 15. A day that will certainly go down in history. On one side of the country, a young man is grabbing his duffel bag and packing his belongings in an old minivan, ready for a trip down to the city. In the city itself, workers are working overtime to set up the stage for what is known to be the biggest musical showcase of early 2014.

                “This is the big day Yixing.” Kris said, fixing the button on his jacket as I fumble with his shoes. “Today is the showcase for BxL’s comeback. We’ll be unveiling the music video, the actual title track and announcing the date of the album’s release. Are we all sold out for tonight?”

                “Yes sir. Samsung has also offered to livestream the event. We’re expecting close to 500,00 spectators tonight, not counting international audiences.”

                “It’s going to be a great day Yixing. I can just feel it.”

                                                                                ****************

                “It’s going to be a great day Baekhyun. I can just feel it.” Luhan wriggled in anticipation, stretching his arms. “Tonight we unveil our new song! Are you excited?”

                “Totally!” Baekhyun smiled, stretching his side carefully and wiping his sweat away. “The fans are going to freak when they see the music video. I can just imagine their faces.” Baekhyun pulled a screaming face and Luhan punched him in the arm, narrowly avoiding his waist injury.

                “We’re supposed to go for the rehearsal later this afternoon, then fitting, then the press conference, then the makeup then the actual showcase…oh my god there’s not enough time!!” Luhan started flailing about. “Do you think we’re ready?”

                “Are you serious? We’ve been doing nothing but rehearsing. We’re more than ready.” Baekhyun smiled. He grabbed Luhan’s hand and they started jumping up and down. “It’s our showcase!! Our showcase!!”

                “Alright ladies, calm down.” Minseok smiled, stopping the screaming teenagers. Baekhyun grabbed Luhan and they hugged out their anxiety. “Let’s go for one last time before your big show tonight. We’ve got millions of people all over the world that’s going to listen to the song and watch my choreography, and if it ain’t good enough I will screw you boys.”

                “Calm your Minnie.” Baekhyun dodged his head when Minseok kicked him. He gave a scowl that later turned into a smile.

                “Let this be the last time I kick your pretty .”

                “I do have a nice one eh?” Baekhyun patted his side cheekily. Luhan kicked the other side and Baekhyun yelped like a puppy.

                “Alright alright, no fights. Save this for when you fall in love with the same person.” Minseok laughed. “Get into your positions. Tonight will be one of the biggest nights of your life.”

                                                                ********************

                “Tonight will be one of the biggest nights of my life.” Chanyeol said, driving his minivan down the highway. He doesn’t exactly have anyone to talk to, since he’s travelling alone, but he does have his loyal Rilakkuma friend in the passenger seat, looking ahead. Chanyeol tapped the doll’s head and checked the clock on the dashboard. It’ll take 2 hours to reach Seoul and he’s making good time. He doesn’t want to be late for his baby Baekkie’s comeback showcase.

                He has the guitar in the trunk, a mental list in his head and the ring in his pocket. There’s a song in his head that he has been practicing for a while now, and a few string sentences that he has been dying to say. Hopefully Baekhyun will love it as much when he hears those words.

                “I can’t wait to see you…” he sang randomly, whistling while he did it. He felt a little bit like Cinderella and he just couldn’t wait to see his beautiful baby.

                Just think, in a couple of hours, his beautiful baby could become his beautiful fiancé.

                                                                ********************

                Nobody is more excited for this showcase than Kyungsoo. And I mean nobody. The boy was hysterical while waiting for the night to come by. He had everything, tickets to the event, his camera, his banners and light sticks, water, cell phone, wallet; he even made sure his phone was fully charged. Leo laughed at him when he lifted up his backpack.

                “You look like you’re going to war with the aliens or something.” He shook his head. “It’s just a concert.”

                “It is not just a concert,” Kyungsoo corrected. “It is the concert of a lifetime. They are announcing their new song and I have been up to my neck this week with all the updates and the posting and the image configuration and sending my camera to be fixed…I have been slaving my for this night and frankly, my heart cannot take anymore suspense from this troublesome, life-ruining duo.”

              “You call them troublesome asses all the time and you don’t mean it. You’d risk life and limb for your precious boys.” Leo said, continuously shaking his head like a concerned parent.

                “I see being my roommate has taught you a few things.” Kyungsoo could only smile. “I’ll be late tonight, don’t wait up.”

                “I never do.” Leo smirked and waved his roommate goodbye. Kyungsoo bounced his way out of the dorm and out of the building. Outside his dorm building, Sulli and a few of her friends were waiting for him. They were all carrying banners and light sticks that Kyungsoo had spent hours at the club making and printing for this special day.

                “Are you girls ready?”

                “Yeah!!”

                “Come on ladies! Let’s go!!”

                For the bus driver, it was like a wild stampede had come upon him and tore his whole bus apart. Kyungsoo and the girls belted out every single BxL song and the poor man could feel his ears ringing in pain. He could throw these kids out, but that would just get him arrested.

                “I cannot wait for the comeback!!! Did you see the MV teaser?!”

                “OH MY GOD YES WE DID!!!!”

                “Luhan is on the bed with a girl!!!”

                “Not just any girl, it’s Krystal Jung!! Oh my goodness, she is a goddess!!”

                “Do you think there’s gonna be some action between them?” the girls all woo-ed in the bus and squealed. Kyungsoo giggled when the bus driver massaged his temples.

                “What about the dance?! What if it’s a dance involving female dancers?!”

                “OH MY GOD OVARIES BLOWN!!!” Kyungsoo yelled and the entire bus shook with laughter. He felt so at home with these girls. It was strange because, well, they are girls for one and secondly he wasn’t supposed to be interested in a trivial idol worshipping phase of a normal teenage girl’s life. But it was so comforting and tempting. It was like being a part of something. It was like he actually mattered in some way.

                The bus came to a stop and the kids got off (the driver could have flown to heaven when they left) and they piled into the stadium. There were so many people and the heat was already very excruciating. Kyungsoo took out his camera and waited.

                The lights dimmed. The fans screamed.

                The audio came on. “Introducing…”

                The fans screamed even more. Kyungsoo could hear nothing except the fans and his own heartbeat. He himself is screaming as well.

                “Are you ready?!”

                Oh yes, he held the camera up. I’m ready.

                                                                                *****************

                “Are you ready? Baekhyun asked Luhan.

                “I was born ready.” Luhan smiled, taking Baekhyun’s hand.

                And with that, they got onto the platform. It started to rise.

                                                                                ******************

                “Boss, it’s starting!!” I waved my light stick as the platform came up. Kris is seating next to me, looking at them expectantly. Even he couldn’t help but clap his hands and holler a while.

                “Woo!!! Byun Baekhyun!! Luhan!!!” I cried out waving my light stick. I looked at Kris and he has the biggest smile on his face.

                He’s proud. He is so ing proud.

                                                                                *******************

                So is the man who’s sitting in the front row on the other side. He couldn’t take his eyes off Baekhyun, his bright pupils twinkling away.

                “Oh my god…that’s Kyungsoo!! Hey Kyungsoo!!!” Kai grabbed Chanyeol’s arm, jerking and waving his other arm to catch Kyungsoo’s attention. Chanyeol shrugged his arm off.

                “Stop doing that!”

                “You have got to meet this kid! He’s the one…”

                “Yeah I know, he’s the one you have a crush on.” Chanyeol grinned at his cousin. “But could you leave me alone or something? Now is not the time.”

                The showcase was a success. In fact, success was an understatement. I checked with Kris and the representatives of Samsung an hour after the showcase and it seems that the stream broke within seconds of the start of the showcase due to too many people streaming in at the same time. That meant that there were more people tuning in than anticipated. The media was all over them and some fans fainted. Kris was over the moon and even I was on high.

                “Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have another hit up our sleeves!” Kris said, raising his glass of wine. He had taken us out for a dinner (extremely rare occasion but he’s way too happy to care. Better milk this for all it’s worth.) in one of his favourite Korean barbeque restaurants. We all raised our glasses.

                “Tonight’s showcase was a great success. The pre-orders are pouring in, as Yixing just told me, the fans reaction are positive and the music video is a hit! I think this year is going to be our year! A toast to BxL!” Kris drank a shot of his wine and the colour on his face was turning red.

                “Geez boss, stop inhaling the drink.” Jongdae chuckled. Kris gave him a look before elbowing him.

                “Leave me alone you son of a .”

                “Let me remind you that this son of a was the one who wrote the song that is going to make BxL famous.”

                “And this son of a ’s husband choreographed that song.”

                “Yes you did baby.” Jongdae turned to kiss his husband, who’s actually kind of red in the face today. They started kissing a little harder and I threw a garlic slice at them to stop them before it became a full frontal make out session.

                “I’m so glad everyone liked our new song!” Baekhyun giggled, chewing down on his meat. “I can’t wait till we hit mainstream radio!”

                “You guys worked so hard these past few months. You deserve all that you’re having now.” I smiled, making an adorable little lettuce wrap for Baekhyun.

                “Luhan, your acting in the music video was great! How did you do it?” I asked, feeding the wrap to Baekhyun.

                “I had my friend Sehun help me.” Luhan said, grilling the meat himself.

                “Your friend Sehun? The model?”

                “Yeah, he’s…” suddenly Luhan paused. He dropped his meat back on the grill and literally knocked the table over. He flew out of his seat and grabbed his bag.

                “Luhan!!! Luhan!!! Where are you going?!” Baekhyun yelped, getting up and chasing after him. I stood up and followed.

                “Oh !!! Baekhyun I forgot about Sehun!!! I told him I would meet him after the showcase!!! !!!!! !!!” Luhan half jumped, half ran and half cursed his way out. He was too fast for us to catch up. We ended up watching him run down the street and further away from us.

                “Oh boy,” Baekhyun sighed. We went back to a red-faced Kris, giggly Jongdae and Minseok (whose hands have disapperead under the table) and a few more hungry staff.

                “What happened to Luhan?” Kris asked.

                “He ran out to meet someone. He forgot he made an early appointment.”

                “Oh,” Kris said, hunched over, staring at the wrap in my bowl. “Make me one.”

                “Why can’t you make one for yourself?”

                “Feed me.”

                “Why do I…” he pouted. Kris Wu pouted. I had to stop snorting and giggling before he comes to his sense. My boss pouted at me. Tao is going to go nuts if I tell him.

                “Fine.” So I did what I was told. I fed my boss like a baby. I know my job on some days, but on other days it’s not that bad, especially when you can snap pictures for your roommate and possibly extort your boss in the future.

                                                                                ********************          

                “Sehun!” Luhan ran to Han River after taking the taxi. He could see Sehun standing under the lamp post, twisting his cap so that he doesn’t get recognized by anyone. The street is pretty quiet tonight and Sehun looked like a picture of loneliness standing there under the dim light.

                “Sehun I’m so sorry…” Luhan panted, sweat running down his forehead. “I was having dinner with Baekhyun and Kris…I…ha…”

                “Why didn’t you pick up your phone? I called you at least 100 times today!” Sehun yelled, feeling rather agitated.

                “I’m sorry…my phone was on vibrate…” Luhan said, taking deep breaths. “Sehun I…”

                “I cannot believe you stood me up. I was waiting here like an idiot!”

                “I’m sorry but I just…it slipped my mind.”

                “Yeah well I’m glad your showcase was a success.”

                “You saw?”

                “Are you kidding me? It’s all over the news.” Sehun waved his hands about. He was livid, he just didn’t want to blow his top in front of Luhan, but in all honesty, he was hurt. He couldn’t believe Luhan had forgotten about him.

                “Sehun, I know you’re mad, but I swear…”

                “It’s fine, let’s just go home.”

                ‘No it’s not fine! You’re still mad! Don’t lie to me!”

                “Of course I’m mad! How would you like it if you were the one standing under a lamp post in April for two hours?”

                “I was busy!! I told you that!”

                “Your career is all you ever think about isn’t it? Ever since you made your debut it’s all Baekhyun did this, Baekhyun did that, I want to do this, I wanna go where, I wanna achieve this…do you know how god damn annoying it is to hear all of this?!”

                “If it’s so annoying then why are you still here?! Why do you put up with this?!” Luhan shouted back. Sehun has never yelled at him before. Sehun has never called him annoying before. His words cut poor Luhan’s heart like a knife.

                “Because…because I’m in love with you!” Sehun yelled, his eyes becoming red and his voice cracked at the end. Luhan felt like his heart shattered into a million pieces.

                “Sehun…”

                “Do you know how lame it is to be in love with your best friend who wants nothing but fame and fortune? Do you know how many times I’ve tried hinting to you? Do you know why I even left at the first place? Because I like you. I like you so much that it hurts. It kills me but I do it anyways because I can’t stop liking you. I’m so in love with you.”

                “Sehun-ah…” Luhan wanted to reach out to Sehun’s cheek but the model pushed his hands away.

                “The worst part of it all is that at least you get what you want. At least you’re happy. Me? I’m a struggling model in love with someone the whole world loves and would die to be with. That night when I kissed you, it wasn’t a mistake. I’ve wanted to kiss you my whole life, but I was worried you would hate me so I pretended it never happened.”

                “Sehun, I could never hate you…”

                “Then can you love me? Can you see me as a man, a partner, a lover?” Sehun wiped the tears out of his eyes. “I am ready to do anything to make you happy, even if that means I have to out my feelings in the rear, or cut my arm and bleed out fame and fortune for you I would. I would do it all. It just hurts that you won’t do the same.”

                Luhan just stood there, watching the tears flow out of Sehun’s eyes. Sehun pushed Luhan back. “Go back to your boss. I’ve got to go home.”

                “Sehun!! Please don’t leave me!”

                “I tried, but I can’t.” Sehun said, holding back his tears. “You’re my best friend, so you deserve to know how I feel. If you decide never to talk to me again, it’s fine. I understand.”

                “Sehun!” Sehun turned and walked away, leaving Luhan in his place, under the same lamp post on a rather cold night. Luhan noticed a trash can on the other side of the lamp post, he peered inside and saw something red. He picked it up and found a small bouquet of roses. With shaky hands, he opened the note attached to it.

To Luhan: Congratulations on your showcase!

                                                Love, Sehun

                Sehun bought him roses.

                Luhan bought him heart break.

                Luhan held the bouquet with a weak hand, squatted down and cried, watching the roses fall on the pavement and their petals fall apart.

                He cried even harder after that.

 

 

A/N: I know this isn't exactly the kind of confession you all have been hoping for, but trust me this will all make sense after a while. XD I FINALLY GOT INTO THE EXO-L WEBSITE!!!! HALLELUJAH!!!! After so many days of trying, like finally man! And their very first photobook Die Jung which is really really really pricey if you ask me. And they did a kind of crappy job photoshopping Kris out judging from the previews but some of the pictures still look awesome! And my feels for SeKai since their Grazia cover...unexplainable TT So much feels from those two...

 

Comments, upvotes and subbies are loved! XD