I Once Lived By Your Side

I Once Lived By Your Side - Myungsoo
"Make sure you rest and don’t watch too many cartoons" Myungsoo happily called at the kids in the room while they gathered around the tv to watch their favorite show that would come on around this time. Sliding the door closed, he looked through the door window at the sickly kids that got to be normal kids only for a short while as they watched the show.

Looking back down at his files in his hand, he walked back to the nurses station to change them out for new files as he made his rounds.Leaning on the counter Myungsoo waited for his next files to be pulled, glancing over his shoulder the director was walking this way with what looked like a new lady doctor.

"Dr. Kim Myungsoo, I would like to introduce one of the nurses that you will be working with for the next few weeks. ___ ______" The director introduced as you bowed to the handsome young doctor.

"It is nice to meet your Doctor Kim." You bowed to him once more as he bowed back.

"Take care of her Myungsoo." The director looked at him before leaving you alone with the doctor. Watching the director leave, you lowered your head waiting for orders from the young doctor.

"So, do you like kids?" Myungsoo asked casually.

"Y-Yes sir." You looked up at him as he just smirked at you.

"You don’t have to be so formal, loosen up and have fun." He patted your shoulder before turning around to get his files. "Come on, let’s finish my rounds and I will show you around."

Nodding you followed him, his blue green scrubs under his white lab coat while his stethoscope hung around his neck while he clicked his tongue to a song that he had stuck in his head.

"Jenny! How are you feeling today princess?" Myungsoo opened the door and sat on her bed.

"I made you something Doctor Kim." She grabbed a paper off of her notebook and held it up to him with her cute smile.

"What did you make for me?" Myungsoo held out his hand while his face lit up in surprise.

"I drew you and me at my school dance. Since I will be here instead of dancing with my friends." Jenny explained while Myungsoo’s eyes moved over the crayoned lines and slightly-outside-the-line coloring.

"This is beautiful, thank you." Myungsoo smiled as he carefully folded the paper and placed it in one of the large pockets in his lab coat. "What do you say we give you your medicine so that you can get better?"

"Okay" She nodded, her little pigtails bobbing on her head from her laying on them. Myungsoo nodded, pulling out the syringe and hooking it up to her IV. The two of them started singing once he started injecting her, she smiled as she sang with him while she laid down on her bed. Her eyes began to drop as Myungsoo pet her hair softly as she fell asleep.

"Sweet dreams and feel better" Myungsoo pulled the blanket up on Jenny as he smiled and stood up from her bed.

Moving from patient to patient, he made each one seem that they were the most important person in the world. Acting like their friend and their older brother that loved them, you couldn’t but have your heart warm at his actions towards the sickly children.

Days turned into weeks as Myungsoo trusted you with more and more duties, you were now making the rounds as he administered the medicine and did the surgeries that the children needed.

Your smiling face was always around the office as you tried to be the kind of person Myungsoo was to the children. When Myungsoo would come out of surgery, the two of you would work side by side to make sure that all of his patients had the best care that you could give them.

One day, you were checking up on Jin, a little boy, he loved to smile and always made you a paper flower for you every day that you visited.

"Jin, how are you feeling today?" You asked closing the door behind you as he just nodded his head.

"What’s wrong?" You tilted your head at him, a little worried for him.

"I miss my mom and dad." He mumbled as tears started to pool in his eyes, dropping his head you sat on his bed and carefully pulled him onto your lap.

"I know, but you know, when you are better you can go back home and help them out with all of the animals and be happy okay?" You wrapped your arms around him while rocking him soothingly.

"Okay" He nodded against your shoulder as his four year old arms wrapped around your neck and played with the ends of your hair.

Little did you know, Myungsoo was watching you from outside the door, seeing you interact with the shy Jin made him smile as you comforted the little boy. Watching you as you performed your other duties too, he waited for you outside the door.

"Hey Doctor Kim" You smiled up at him, closing the door behind you with Jin drawing in his bed.

"Do you have a minute to talk?" Myungsoo asked, patting the back of his hair down against his head.

"Sure, I just need to grab more files to finish your rounds." You say while the two of you start to walk to the nurses station.

"I was just watching you, and I think you are really great. I look forward to seeing you every day and you just make me smile." Myungsoo nervously walked beside you while you nodded your head. Stepping in front of you and holding your arm carefully in his hand, your eyes looked up into his.

"Can I ask for you to go out on a date with me?" Myungsoo’s eyes gently moved around your face. Dropping your eyes from his, you shook your head.

"I’m sorry Doctor Kim, but I don’t date people I work with." You reply moving past him, his grip fell from your arm as he watched you turn in the files to ask for more.

"Why not? Can’t you give me a chance?" He walked up to you and leaned on the counter while trying to change your mind.

"I’m sorry, I don’t let my personal life mix with work." You grabbed your files and walked down to the next rooms as your hair gently swung in the ponytail on the back of your head.

Myungsoo ran his fingers through his hair as he knew that he had felt something when he is with you, something happy and perfect, something that made him forget about his day. You were his little sunshine that he couldn’t live without.

Making a trip down the flower shop in the hospital, Myungsoo picked out some flowers that he thought resembled you as he paid for them and headed to the locker room. Opening your half locked locker, he gently placed them inside as he kissed the note and walked outside to check on some of his patients.

"Are you okay Doctor Kim?" Jenny asked as she sketched him.

"Yeah, I just have things on my mind" Myungsoo told her as she looked up at him and put her little hand on his larger one.

"You can tell me. Mommy always said that it is better to talk about things than to keep them hidden inside." Jenny explained as Myungsoo nodded.

"Do you know Nurse _______?" Myungsoo asked as Jenny nodded brightly.

"She is really nice and she is so pretty too!" Jenny added making Myungsoo blush and bite his lower lip.

"Well I tried to ask her out on a date but she doesn’t want to go out with me, I bought her flowers and put little thank you notes in her locker but it doesn’t seem to be helping. What do I do?" Myungsoo looked at the little six year old as she tapped her lips cutely.

"Have you tried telling her that you like her?" Jenny asked obviously.

"I tried but the words didn’t come out like I wanted them to." Myungsoo looked down at her picture that she was drawing.

"Draw her what you want to say then hand it to her and then you won’t get your words jumbled." Jenny handed him a paper and the crayon box while Myungsoo nodded.

Taking her advice he drew a heart with the words ‘I love you’ written over the heart in pretty lettering. Once done, he pet Jenny’s head as he saw you pass by her window. Running after you, he opened the door and closed it behind him quickly.

”_______!” He called happily running after you with his artwork in his hand.

"Yes?" You turned around, your long hair flipping over your shoulder.

"I made this for you" He gave you a gummy smile, looking down at his hand you took it from him with a puzzled look on your face. Reading the three words and seeing the heart you looked up at the florescent lights trying to keep your tears at bay.

"Do you like it?" Myungsoo questioned you with a worried look knitting on his face.

"Myungsoo, I can’t be with you. I can’t go on a date with you." You told him sternly, "I just can’t"

"Even with all of the flowers and notes and everything I have done for you, you still can’t just go out with me?" Myungsoo probed trying to find the problem.

"I can’t Myungsoo" You shook your head gently while tears brimmed your eyes.

"I thought we had something special?" Myungsoo placed his hand on your shoulder as you looked down and shook your head.

"You’re just my friend and the doctor that I work for." You bit your bottom lip, "This is just a one sided love," lifting his hand off of your shoulder you turned away and ran down the hallway to the locker room. Your phrase hit him hard as he felt his own tears sting his eyes. Crumbling the paper up in your hands, you threw it in the trash as you let your tears roll down your cheeks.

The end of the day felt like it would never come, heading to the on-call room. Myungsoo laid himself down on the bed while he pulled out one of the many drawings that Jenny had made him.

With the crayoned faces of Myungsoo and you together smiling, his fingers gently lifted and felt your waxy hair, your perfect soft pink lips and  your eyes that set him at ease through any circumstances.

Looking at the two faces under the soft light of the lamp, tears rolled down the edges of his eyes and down the side of his face to the pillow below. Now that you were transferred to another hospital, his mind still stayed with you, no matter how many tiring shifts or drinks that he had you were always in the back of his mind. Slamming his eyes closed he kissed the paper that your face was gently drawn on as he mumbled:

Though you must be happy, I will pray for you
Remember, even when you meet someone else
That I was once by your side