I

Keeping Love Again

The sun shines brightly outside illuminating the room where the two married couple are sleeping. A groan escapes from the latter who is sleeping beside his wife when the ray of light hits his face due to the sunlight that passes through the unblinded widows in their room. Slowly he opened his and felt something between him and his wife separating them. He rubs his eyes and stretched a bit to be fully awakened from his deep sleep. He turns his head to the space where there’s something between them and saw his son cuddling in his mother’s arm, both are in a deep sleep. A smile escapes in his lips at the sight of two of his most important person in his life; he slowly crawls out of their shared bed carefully placing the blankets properly in their bodies as he walks down from their bedroom to the kitchen to prepare some breakfast for the three of them. He looks at the time and saw that he’s two hours early at the usual time they get up. So he prepared some eggs, bacon and some pancake ingredients for their breakfast that morning. He’s also a bit happy since it’s Saturday and he had a day off from his father’s company (he forced his dad actually) well they just had a rare time to have a mini family bonding since he’s always busy working his off in order to prove his Dad that he is worthy enough to handle their family company.

 

 

While Taemin is at the kitchen preparing some breakfast for them not too long after his wife Sunhye had woken up also, looking around the room she can’t find his husband anywhere, glancing at her left, instead of seeing his husband lying there with her she saw the second man that she love besides her husband. Ziyu is scooted at the space where her husband was supposed to be sleeping, he facing at the other side hugging his deer plushie that one of his uncles gave to him during his 3rd birthday. Then she hears some faint noise downstairs, thinking that maybe it’s her husband cooking breakfast for them. She then headed to the place when she can smell some faint cooking of egg, bacon and rice in the air around her.

 

 

Too immersed in his cooking he didn’t notice that someone had walked in the kitchen. He felt tiny arms wrapping around his torso and a weight leaning on his back, he didn’t flinch nor got surprised by the action because he knew that arms very well, it’s the arms of his most important girl in his life (well except for his mother) that arms that was around his neck whenever they made love with each other or just plain hugging or cuddling in their couch watching some late night movies, Oh! How he love this girl so much. Even after 8 years of marriage he still feels like a teenager boy who is helplessly in love with his girlfriend, his train of thoughts have been interrupted when the warmth from his back disappears. He turned to his right to see the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

“Good morning Mrs. Lee” he smiled or rather smirked at the woman beside him, and then he stole a kiss from those soft lips of hers

“Good morning to you too Mr. Lee” she throws an mischievous look at him and she throws her arm around his neck

“Being sneaky in the morning eh? Are you taking advantage of me Mr. Lee” then she stands on her tiptoes to capture her husbands’ lips

Taken aback from his wife’s boldness Taemin responded at the kiss, it was sweet and innocent at first but then it turned into a passionate one, suddenly Sunhye pulled out from the kiss gasping for some air. When Taemin dove down for another one the girl in his arms blocked his lips with her hand, he gave her a questioning look then she pointed at his back gesturing at the food that he’s cooking.

“You knew very well that you’re ruining our time together” he said with a hint scowl on his face

“Well yes.. Apparently I would love to continue our time together, but you need to continue on your cooking ‘cause I won’t eat burnt eggs and pancakes for breakfast, darling” she said tapping her husbands’ nose with her forefinger. She strode her away from the kitchen counter where her husband is, settling herself sitting on one of the chairs in their dining area, looking over her husbands’ back facing her. She couldn’t ask for more, having a hardworking, loving husband a a very adorable son. She is already contented with her life.

Still in a daze she never took notice of Taemin sitting beside her, joining in the dining table, carefully placing the breakfast he made. Then a sudden peck on the cheek lulls her back to reality.

“Care to tell me what you’re thinking?” he said tucking some loose strands behind her left ear, slightly combing her hair with his fingertips

“Nothing.. Just thinking about you, me and Ziyu together” she smiled at him with the hint of pink on her cheeks, blushing from the affectionate action of her husband

“Hmm... yeah” he hummed in response and kissed the temple of her head, to her cute button nose then to her lips “Come to think of it, today is Ziyu’s talent showcase, right?” he asked in the middle of their cuddling. The girl in his arms nodded in his chest “It starts 5 o’clock in the afternoon” Sunhye said breaking their hug, carefully placing some pancakes in their plates, gesturing him to eat saying that she should wake Ziyu up since it’s already 8:30 in the morning.

 

 

Going upstairs to their shared bedroom, Sunhye opened the door only to see the sight of their son snuggling under the fluffy sheets of the purple coloured blanket. She chuckles at the sight of the boy. She walks at the other side of the bed, slightly shaking the boy to wake up from his sleep. Soon he opens his eyes and yawns, rubbing his tired eyes with his tiny fists, eyes slightly watering from the yawn earlier. Not long after he feels the presence beside him, he turns to his side and smiles brightly.

“Morning Mom!” he cheerfully greets his mother and not forgetting to hug then kisses her on the cheek, just like a routine every morning

“Morning to you too young man” she ruffles his hair and smiles at the small latter “Let’s go downstairs, shall we? I bet you’re hungry” she then stands up going out of the room, while Ziyu is following closely behind her.

Once they got into the kitchen the boy rushes to his fathers’ arms saying a little ‘good morning’ and ‘did you sleep well?’ she smiled at the sight. Well, she admits that Ziyu is indeed a daddy’s boy. Even when he’s still an infant she will have a hard time taking care of him when Taemin is out for work, she can still remember Ziyu wailing while saying ‘Daddy’ like a mantra when her husband is away for some 3 day business trip. Then when he got home their son will stop throwing tantrums and always obeyed his father. Until now that he’s already 8 years old, he still sticks on his Dad. He even inherited his talent in dancing on his father, and the reason why he’s part of the talent showcase on their school.

She prepared Ziyu’s favourite plate, together with the matching utensils and mug printed with his favourite cartoon. She put some egg and bacon in his plate with a pair of pancakes, she sits back down into her chair watching their son eat cutely, she can’t help but smile how adorable the boy can be. A few moments she saw a hand holding a mug of hot chocolate, she looked up and saw Taemin smiling onto her, she muttered a quiet ‘Thanks’. He really knew what her favourite drink every morning.

Then the kitchen is filled with comforting silence, with Ziyu eating peacefully, grabbing some of the pancakes, Taemin drinking some hot chocolate while reviewing the company’s stocks in his iPad and Sunhye looking over the two most precious boys in her life. When Ziyu announced that he’s finished with his meal, she then stands up to gather the dishes and puts it in the sink. She was about to wash it when her husband stops her from doing it. It gave Taemin a questionable look, she was supposed to ask him some question but then he beats her to it.

“If you are going to ask ‘Why?’ well let’s just say I want to repay you from all that you’ve done. Since I’m not always at home and the three of us haven’t gotten time to bond, might as well help you out in some chores” he sincerely said then it earned a giggle from the woman.

“You know Tae, thank you; really” she smiled showing her adorable eye-smile that makes the guy fall for her even more

“What are you thanking me for?” he places himself beside her on the sink

“Everything. Thank you for everything, for being a good father and husband in this family” she said softly saying it from the bottom of her heart

“Thank you too, for being a mother and wife, I can’t imagine my life without you” he then enveloped her in a loving embrace.

“You should take Ziyu on a bath, my son needs to be handsome later in his showcase” he broke the hug and kisses her in the forehead, he leans to her ear and whispers “Don’t take a bath without me, we’re going to finish what we started earlier” instead of a reply he was smacked at the back of his head. Then he was left there at the kitchen with his wife laughing in some conversation she had with Ziyu.

 

 

It was already past 1 o’clock when they all finish the chores, had taken a bath and get dressed. They are going to Ziyu’s school early so that the performers can have a final rehearsal and to watch their son practice before the main event. The three of them are gathered in the living room checking if they forgot something to bring like cameras and so on.

“Are you all ready?” she said to no one in particular, but she wants to make sure that they didn’t forget anything

“Yeah, we’re all set, right Ziyu?” Tamin replied then asked the boy beside him holding his hand, and then he responded with enthusiastic ‘Yes’

They’re out of their house when Taemin’s phone rings from his pocket; he picks it up only to see his fathers’ name on the screen. Sunhye looked at him confused he mouthed that its his father, after that they headed first to their car. He reluctantly pressed the answer button (but he did anyways). He talked with a simple ‘Hello’.

Sitting inside the car, Sunhye can’t really hear Taemin talking but she knew it was a bit serious because of his gestures. Then after a few moments the conversation has ended. When Taemin walks towards the car he gave her an apologetic smile. He got inside the car on the driver’s seat and heaved a deep sigh.

“Are you alright?” she puts her hand above his and intertwined them giving him reassurance

“Well… I’m sorry to tell but I can’t come with you” he said with sadness lingering in his words

“Why Dad?” its Ziyu’s turn to ask with a hint of disappointment in his face

“Dad is sorry little guy” he ruffled his hair to comfort him

“Dad said that there’s an emergency in the investments, he said our recent business partner had withdrawn from the deal. So I need to take it back” he briefly explains “Don’t worry, I may not be able to see you at rehearsal but I’ll try to catch up on the real show” he reassures them specially Ziyu who’s face lit up from his fathers’ words.

“Promise?” the boy points his pinky finger “Promise.” And he intertwined his pinky finger on the smaller one

“I’m just going to drop you off, since it’s the same way to the company” he the engine and started driving away to the school.

After 20 minutes of driving they finally arrived in front of the school gates. Ziyu excitedly hopped off the car, with Sunhye following suite. Before she could get fully off in the car, she leans into him and gave him a peck on the lips.

“Just a good luck charm, be sure to win that deal immediately so you can catch up, okay?” then she closed the car door and waved him goodbye.

 

 

At the moment they arrive on their gymnasium Ziyu have been the center of attention either from the teachers or his classmates. She felt a tap on her shoulders, when turned around he saw a tanned guy probably the same age as hers and a face that is oddly familiar, he kind of looked like Taemin in some way until the thought sinks unto her.

“Jongin is that you?” she question the guy that is taller than her in disbelief

“Ouch, Is it really that long since I’m gone? No wonder a few recognized me” he faked a hurt expression then the girl smiled at him. “No, not really… But you definitely changed, in a good way” she retorted back with a half mockery and honesty in her sentence

“I guess? Why are you here?” he’s the one who asked a question

“I’m here to watch Ziyu’s talent showcase” she said looking at the stage where Ziyu is rehearsing

“I see…” he looks around before asking “Where’s Taemin-hyung?” he simply asked in curiosity, because he knew his hyung too well

“Oh him… He’s supposed to tag along with us but there’s an urgent matter in the company, so he said he’ll try to catch up” she explained letting her real emotion show

“Don’t worry too much, I knew him too well. He’s not the type of person to break promises” he assured her patting her shoulder

“I know, thanks Jongin” she smiled at him, since Taemin and her are dating she always knew that both of them treated each other like real siblings. Hence why Jongin and her became friends and also treated each other like siblings. “Oh yeah… I’m meaning to ask this, what are you doing here?” she finally said what she wanted to say in the first place

“Oh I forgot to say” he chuckled at his forgetful action “I’m here to accompany my boyfriend, apparently he’s one of the vocal instructors in this school and I wanted to see a talent showcase” he explained like it’s not a big deal

“Wait, did I just hear the word ‘boyfriend’? Or my ears are playing tricks on me?” she questioned in disbelief

“It’s a Yes and a No. Yes because you heard it right, I did swing that way” he slightly chuckles “and No because I explained it already”

“Phew, at least you didn’t hit on my man” she jokes just like old times

“Yeah, and besides we’re cousins” still laughing about what she said earlier

Then they heard one of the staffs announcing the final rehearsal to start, soon the lights are dimmed and there performs the first contestant, a girl holding a guitar she looks like a year or two older than Ziyu and started singing and playing together with her guitar after the first it followed by the second. After the fourth performer Ziyu was up next, he is standing at the center scanning the audience with his eyes and when he found his Mom together with his Uncle Jongin. First he didn’t expect that his favourite Uncle is already back from the States, but he didn’t think otherwise at least there’s another person than his parents supporting him in this showcase.

After a while the music booms from the speakers and he started dancing, rhyming his moves with the music. He had to admit at a young age he knew what his passion is, it’s dancing. He wanted to be a dancer just like his Uncle Jongin, he want to achieve his dream and he also wants to make his Dad’s dream came true. At the tender age of 8 he already understands all. Once he saw his Dad dance, he had to admit his father is a very good dancer and that time he knew what he lived for, he’s going to pour his soul for this showcase to make his father proud.

With a final move the music ended and he posed, he could hear people clapping and cheering for him. Chest falling rapidly into his chest, panting at the dance routine that he just performed he scanned the audience again to find his mother smiling into him, proud at his son and his Uncle also mirrored the same expression. He goes to the backstage to take a bottle of water, and to take a brief rest from the performance. After Ziyu ended his performance the next performer followed up until the tenth, after the tenth performer the showcase will end. Done with his brief rest he went to his mother to greet her. He saw his Mom sitting on the chairs that are prepared for the guest. Then he went there.

“Hey Mom!” he greeted his Mom happily not forgetting to smile

“Hey there big guy!” Sunhye gave him a high five “You’re so cool back there, I can’t even explain what I felt when I saw you dance” she compliments him in every way possible “You do took after your fathers’ genes” she proudly said

“I’m the son of Lee Taemin and Lee Sunhye after all” then he flashes a wink towards her

“You really are his son” she mentally face palmed herself