cold city lights

Phobias ㅡ chenbaeksoo
tumblr_mh7d3lQx8q1qeewnao1_500.png   images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAVAudmU5_4zZN42Qtu6T
city-lights-tokyo.jpg   4f4248f535a9d978ea27efb752d38b9b.jpg
just follow the city lights, they'll guide us home
Disposophobia: fear of losing things or getting lost

It was freezing out and the heater being broken did not help things. His fingers and hands were already feeling numb against the steering wheel, like in any minute now, they'd eventually fall off. But he can't have that, from time to time, he blows warm air coming from his body and towards his hands, just to keep them warm even if it's for a few seconds.

For probably about the hundredth time during that ride alone, he sneaks a glance even though the person beside him on the passenger's seat was still sleeping. It hasn't been long since she closed her eyes, but being the worry-worm that he usually is, Byun Baekhyun couldn't help but just make sure that the jacket he placed around her was still there, clinging onto her shoulders. 

It still was, and it makes him relieved. Thirty minutes later, they're still on the road, on their way home and Baekhyun is now a hair closer to freezing to death. He fingers still feel numb and his feet couldn't seem to keep still. His teeth chatters, and Kim Taeyeon could hear it when she opened her eyes. 

"Are you cold?"

"A little." 

The jacket he had placed on her, she removed it from her body. Taeyeon's arms ever-so-gently placed it around his shoulders this time. "You shouldn't of prioritized me first."

"Then what kind of a man would I be? I have to keep up my status as a gentleman." he says slyly and Taeyeon shakes her head as she leans back on her seat. Even when he's cold and freezing, his humor is still very much there and alive. 

A few minutes go by and despite taking a nap, Taeyeon still feels drowsy and a little bit sleepy. The cold air, the rain, the view of the valleys and endless sceneries that blur by them didn't make things better for her. Her eyelids were getting heavier and heavier by the second.

Baekhyun notices this as he, yet again, glances her way. "Don't sleep on me now." he tells her, and this makes Taeyeon turn her heads towards him. "It's boring. I don't have anyone to talk too and I ran out of songs to hum along to."

"How cna you 'run out of songs to sing along to'?" Taeyeon says, laughing. "Just play a music through the radio or the stereo-"

"No signal, remember. Forgot my mixtapes." 

"Then your iPod-"

"It's in the back."

"Then let me get it-"

"Taeyeon, just please stay awake and accompany me." 

Baekhyun slows down the speed of the car by lightly stepping on the breaks and at that moment as he did so, Taeyeon's features soften and she retracts her hand away from their bags in the backseat. She leans against her seat again, sighing. "Alright." 

"I'm scared. Maybe we'll get lost." he admitted, to make her understand his thoughts and situation. "You know the roads better than I do."

"And I suppose you cursed me a while ago when I was sleeping, hm?" she says. "On how I don't have a driver's liscense and you ended up driving for us instead." 

"Well, I wouldn't really call it cursing." mumbled Baekhyun and Taeyeon snorts but eventually, she laughs at his statement. 

"The stars," she murmurs as she places her arms on the dashboard to look up at the night sky before them. It was already past eight pm, a few more hours and they'll be back in the city within the comfort of their homes. "I can't see them because of how bright the street lights are." 

"Try looking at the ones from afar, not the ones right above you." 

Taeyeon does so and for the next few minutes, she looks at the stars with a faint smile on her lips. Silence falls over them like a blanket, but this was the comfortable kind. Because with the two of them, awkward doesn't exist. 

"Are you sleeping right now?" Baekhyun had glanced at her again before asking this, but he only wanted to say something to break the silence they were having - or at least had. He finds Taeyeon's voice comforting, whether she's singing or talking. 

"No." she answers him simply. 

"Good. Don't fall asleep. I need you."

"I'll tell youa tip so that you won't get lost."

"What is it?" 

She smiles, and points her index finger forward. "Just follow the city lights, they'll guide us home." she holds in a giggle, or maybe laughter. 

Baekhyun scoffs. "Are you kidding with me right now, woman?"

Taeyeon laughs, and Baekhyun cracks a smile. She places her hand on his arm, he eventually follows her instructions. They drove down the long roads, into the night, together. They left it at that. 


i got inspired with the scenery at home. so, ta-da, i came up with this and thought a baekyeon chapter would be cute. guessed wrong though.