bonds

Phobias ㅡ chenbaeksoo

tumblr_m7uoop3tgb1qiwnywo1_500.png   . | via Tumblr

because we're brothers, and that's a bond they can't break
Monophobia: fear of being alone, isolated


Kyungsoo found Tao backstage, squeezed in between the boxes and stacks of chairs and props. His eyes were red and even more swollen that it should've been. His phone was carefully balanced on top of his knees, as his legs were against his chest, probably to avoid someone seeing him. He was sniffing, and the sound was so faint and soft that one would need to do what Kyungsoo did that lead to finding Tao; to be quiet. 

"How did you find me?" muttered Tao, not looking up at Kyungsoo. He kept his eyes on his phone and continued on sniffing every two seconds or so. 

"I heard you." he said simply with a frown that dawned his sweaty face. "Tao, practice is going to start again soon. Everyone's looking for you. Stop being a baby and get out of that cramped space. We're all pissed, okay? So get out of there." tired, exhausted, desperate - those were the words that Kyungsoo was right then and there and those were the reasons why he had said those words so carelessly to him, to Tao, to the crybaby of their group. 

New tears brimmed the corners of Tao's eyes, and Kyungsoo sighs not at the Chinese boy huddled in front of him, but at himself. "Tao, I-" 

"I-I'm sorry, Kyungsoo-ah." his voice faltered and wavered, a sign that he was going to break down soon. Tao tries to stand up as he wipes the tears forming in his eyes at the same time. He tries to support himself with his hand, but his knees buckled and wobble, making him unable to stand up on his own two feet. Sitting there in that space made his legs ache. 

"Zitao," Kyungsoo gets down on his knee, facing Tao with a frown. Even if Tao's sitting, he's still taller than Kyungsoo. It irritated him at some point, but now he accepts that fact. Tao was a growing kid, and unlike Kyungsoo, he still needed a bit of guidance and attention. "It was the mention of his name, right?" he glances at Tao's phone. "Are you trying to call him?" 

"Ever since I heard the news." he admitted. "I've sent texts too. Dui-duizhang doesn't answer them though." his voice cracks, and Kyungsoo frowns even more. Being friends ever since trainee days, of course it was only right for Tao to feel this way. He looked up to his leader a lot and always asked for his guidance and advices, in return, he'd always help Tao and take care of him like his own blood-related brother. Kyungsoo understands him very well. 

"Tao, we're all upset and devastated about Kr-" Kyungsoo stops himself, he has to be careful. The mention of the name alone sends the members into a mental breakdown. He had to be careful, like extra careful especially since it was Tao. "The point is," he tries to cover it up fast with the clearing of his throat. "All of us are effected because like our slogan, we are one. We're all connected."

"I know that." was the simple reply Tao gave Kyungsoo. He glances up and sees that the latter has one of his eyebrows raised. Tao clears his throat to before he continues speaking. "I mean, it's just, it feels lonelier without duizhang. Not even Luhan-ge can cheer me up. He's just as upset as I am, though. I feel lonely now, with the 11 of us." 

Kyungsoo sighs, remembering the past events that happened and took place these past few days. It makes his heart clench just thinking about them, and he's sure it has the same effect towards Tao. "Tao-ah, be careful of what you say or do okay? Everyone in the company, they're agitated and tense. We need to do good in this concert. This is for our fans, remember that. And besides, you're not alone. You've always got me, and the rest of the members. Suho's worried about you, you know and Jongin told me he is too." 

Tao sighs as well, but he says nothing. Kyungsoo helps him up, reminding him that practice would be starting again, very soon this time. They had to rearrange everything about the concert and practice all the songs with one member missing. It felt wrong for Kyungsoo somehow, performing onstage with only 11 when the dream was one that all 12 of them shared. 

"Are we going to be alright?" Tao sniffs for the last time while wiping his eyes with his thumb. Kyungsoo tries for a smile, but he guesses it must've looked forced and somewhat fake in Tao's eyes in that moment. But he tried to cover it up with sincerity that coated his words.

"We'll be alright." he tells him. "We're more than friends. We've been together all these years. Before the fame, before the fans, before the drama, before everything. We're brothers, Tao, and that's a bond they can't break. No matter what."

The panda-eyed member finally smiles, and it makes Kyungsoo feel a little at ease. They walk to the main stage together with Kyungsoo muttering words of comfort towards his dear friend.  

"Tao, just remember this too." Kyungsoo places a hand on Tao's back and literally looks up at the younger. "If he does leave, he left the company. Not us, not his brothers. Not the fans, not his galaxies. But the company, you got that?"

A bitter, yet knowing, smile spreads across his face. "Got it."