Waiting for the Dragon

Fire Without The Dragon

Doing interviews with a big space on his right side. Being the last on the line. Being the tallest member. Rapping without his duo. It was unusual for Park Chanyeol. It was not the same anymore since the other part of the tallest tower drifted away. There was no Twin Tower anymore.

 

Hearing the news from Suho, Chanyeol hurriedly run on their practice room. He flew the door open gathering the eyes of the other members on him. Beads of sweat started to fall on his temples as he swallowed the lump on his throat. “Where is he?” He asked with his voice shaking and both hands trembling. “Where is he? Where is Kris-hyung?” Again, he asked increasing the tone of his voice but no one dared to answer. The other members looked away, hiding the sudden emptiness they are feeling. He’s gone…

Chanyeol tumbled on the floor with his breathing heavy. Tears pooled in his eyes that fell immediately on his face. The thought of his most precious hyung leaving them with no assurance of coming back wreck every bone on his body. It makes him feel weak without his source of strength. He left without a word, no farewells, no goodbyes. All the memories they have shared all together were blown like a dust by the wind. Suddenly, Chanyeol felt mad.

Why did he leave? Why did he break his promises? Why is he so selfish? Those questions dread into his mind. He wanted to ask him, he wanted to see him but it was too late. Kris has made his decision and he's leaving their group.

They started as twelve. They were known as twelve. How come they will end not as twelve? No one knows except Kris. Maybe he has a reason, yes he has a reason but still it pains the other members.

Just like a building losing its pillar, the members would stumble and fall when one of their leaders crashed down. But they tried not to because they know it’s not the end. They gather every will and strength that remained in order to subside the feeling of depression they have.

“Can we do it?” Tao asked, afraid of how will they do their first concert without a single piece.

“We will do it. We can do it.” Suho answered with both determination and emptiness in his eyes.

How will they say “We are One!” when they can’t complete a puzzle with a missing puzzle piece? Chanyeol tried hard to find the answer.

Chanyeol, frustrated, disappointed, he blamed Kris. He felt angry for leaving them hanging in the air and for not going to be able to share the taste of happiness, success and even bitterness together. He never dreamt of them being like this, incomplete. 2 years of conquering their dreams together wasn’t enough.  It was too short.

Days passed by, there were still no hints of Kris. No statements, no words and Chanyeol hate it. Yes he’s mad not only because of leaving them as a group but also for leaving the fans. But his heart says opposite. His heart wanted to hear why Kris left. His heart pounds louder at the thought of seeing him. His heart longs for his most precious hyung.

“Chanyeol hyung! Look! Kris hyung posted on his instagram. It says here that he’s okay. I felt relieved.” Sehun bulged on his bedroom, holding his phone cheerfully. Chanyeol felt relieved too. But he doesn’t want to show it.

The other members felt quite disappointed but neither of them knows why Kris left. The management seemed to be not telling them the truth, maybe for them to be able to focus on their upcoming concert. But Chanyeol wanted to know. He can’t just keep on practicing, dancing and memorizing his parts when the missing puzzle piece remained unfound.

He wants to stay beside him like what Kris did to him when he got an eye surgery. Kris stayed beside him when he needed him the most. Kris stayed as his source of strength, protecting him as his most precious hyung. And Chanyeol would also want to do those. He wants to stay beside him and protect him. But he can’t.

He dreamt to perform on stage with the fans screaming and shouting their names as happiness runs through their veins.  He wanted to see the ocean of light sticks swaying as they perform. Also, he wanted to make his family proud. He had his own dream and he’s starting to reach it with the help of the other members. But if he chose to protect his most precious hyung, he could lose it all.

It’s hard not to remember those times when he was like a cute puppy that kept following his hyung, the hyung that taught him a lot of things. He wanted to thank him and hold his hand. He wanted to thank him for the friendship and most especially for the love. Now he wished to say those unsaid words. If he only have the power to bring back time, he would just to let his most precious hyung know how big his part in his life.

It was just not too long ago when they had their comeback show. It was just not too long ago when they endured all the back pains, headaches and anxiety all together. It was not too long ago when they promised the world to stay as one. No one ever thought that this would happen. That Kris will loosen his tight hold. It was so sudden.

Who would make him feel better when the glow on his smiles disappears? Who would pat him on his back and tell everything will be alright? Who would stand beside him every time? Those were the things that Kris did. Maybe now is the time to let the other members do those for him. But still, it’s not the same.

Scrolling through his phone, Chanyeol stopped by on his gallery. Looking at those pictures with Kris brings back those memories that make his heart flutter. Those moments when he’s beside his most precious hyung, those moments when they were still twelve, those moments he wish he could go back. As he scanned his phone, a tear escaped as he reminisced but a smile curved up on his lips with a gentle look on his eyes. His heart screams it all. He believes in him and he’ll wait no matter how long.

 

Continues rehearsals, restless days and nights, they kept themselves busy. As it goes, the group has bonded stronger and tighter. They became each other’s feet and shoulders, not wanting the others to fall down. Slowly, they learned to accept reality. The reality that the single puzzle piece was gone and will never be found again. It was really a new beginning, a new puzzle to complete. But still, Chanyeol never loses his faith. He still believes in his most precious hyung.

They’ve ended the concert without him. They did it, finally. But to Chanyeol it will be better when they are twelve just like when they started as a newly debut group. It was their most awaited moment, to have their first solo concert but no one ever thought that in this day, they will not be complete. Kris hyung… I wish you were here.

As they do their final bow, Chanyeol looked at the other members. They’ve worked so hard. He thought and suddenly felt happy. These ten other boys beside him, working hard to fulfill their dreams despite every tiring day, he realized that they deserved to be better even without him, his most precious hyung. He should be strong for these boys and serve as their source of strength. He should remain as their happy virus that infects laughter and bright smiles. He had lost his source of strength and maybe it was the time for him to be the source. They have lost a single piece and now that they are completing a new puzzle, he would never let a single piece be gone, again.

Chanyeol, with his heart lighter, had learned to accept. But he promised not to stop believing that one day, even just one day, they will be whole again. He will be forever grateful to all the members, especially to his most precious hyung because in his heart, they will always be twelve.

 

He looked up in the sky, letting the tears he held back fall with a gentle smile on his face, thinking about the one who lit up his fire. The dragon, his most precious hyung. “Just like the stars in the galaxy, you’ll always be the brightest. Thank you hyung, saranghae…”

 

Kris hyung,

We did it finally. I feel so happy right now but I will be happier when you’re here. I wish you could celebrate with us. But I know you have your reason why you left. I believe in you. If ever you’ll comeback, we’ll always be here to welcome you. Let’s prove that we are one. Thank you for everything, hyung. For all the memories you had shared with us. Take care of yourself okay? Eat a lot and rest well. I’ll be waiting for you.

- Chanyeol

 

As Kris read every line of Chanyeol’s text message, his heart pounded faster. He has his reason why he left and surely if he doesn’t have a reason he will never leave. He had seen how those eleven boys grew up and bloomed like a flower beautifully. He witnessed how they stood up after every deep downfall. He never wanted to leave but again, Kris has his reason. As much as he wanted to stay, his main reason of leaving won’t let him. He needs time and a peace of mind. What he wanted was only to respect his decision, that’s all and he’s fine. He missed those laughters, those restless days. He missed all the members. He felt sorry for leaving them without a word. He wanted to go back and tell them everything but maybe it’s not the right time. What matters now is that Kris knew that they kept on walking on their chosen paths. He felt very proud of them and God knows how much.

He knows that he had left too many questions unanswered. He knows that there were promises he never kept. And it hurts him because he felt helpless as much as he wanted to answer those questions and keep those promises. But for now, knowing that they will be seeing the same stars under the same sky is enough. He wiped the tears that he didn’t know that were already falling and smiled. “Wait for me. Please hold on…”

 


 

Author's Note: Let's continue supporting the boys and keep holding on :) OT12 forever  Thank you to all the subbies!