Seconds Closer

Time Continuum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Saturday, December 7, 2013

[8:35 am; Kim’s Residence]

 

 

 

Non-stop  noise of the tapping of the end of a black mechanical pencil resounded along the snow white walls of the minimalist yet comfy living room. But what annoys Jongin the most was that irritating sound that keeps fighting off the struggle of pressure he puts on the pencil as it hits the desk – the continuous connecting ring of his video call.

 

Which was, of course, directed to none other than his Kyungsoo hyung.

 

And which, to his shock, is not connecting as it was supposed to.

 

 

“Answer the phone hyung…” Jongin muttered to himself, hoping that the older would miraculously hear it from wherever he is, and hopefully, hopefully answer his call.

 

Jongin was restless ever since he came back from the trip last night, still high on everything that happened between him and Kyungsoo. Correction, my Kyungsoo, Jongin giggled to himself. He could still recall every bit and detail, as if he was reliving the moment right then and there, if that was even possible.

 

 

How soft and warm Kyungsoo’s fingers fit along his…

The older’s smiles that he’d been aching to get a glimpse for who knows how long…

His eyes that even the stars that night and probably any other night can’t ever compare with…

How his lips quietly trembled as he returned the younger’s kiss.

 

 

Jongin was high above the clouds right now, and he can’t wait to hear and see the main cause of his new found addiction.

 

It’s Saturday, a no-school day, so Jongin decided to call Kyungsoo at a fairly good time.

8 am isn’t an ungodly hour anymore right?

And yet here he was, on the verge of breaking down because, because, for the first time ever, his favourite Kyungsoo hyung didn’t answer his call on the first ring.

 

Yup, Jongin was on the edge.

 

 

 

He’s okay right? Oh God please let him be okay… Jongin silently prayed as not-so-good thoughts started flowing into his mind. He tried waving it off with his free hand and yet it kept coming back and haunting him as every second passed while he still hasn’t got through the line. It was nerve wrecking, especially for a boy who wasn’t able to get a proper sleep and had to travel a not so fun nine hours inside the bus, knowing that every minute meant every distance added between him and Kyungsoo.

 

No. He’s okay! Stupid mind! Stay away bad thoughts! Shoo! Shoo!

 

Because of his antics, the younger accidently dropped his mechanical pencil out of confusion. He tried catching it at the last minute, but the end of it just hit his fingers instead, making it collide with the floor a bit harsher than how it’s initially supposed to land.

 

“No!” 

 

Jongin immediately picked up the mechanical pencil and caressed it as if it was badly hurt. “Oh no, you didn’t break right?” He turned the pencil on all sides to check for any damage or scratches and, to his relief, it didn’t have any, except for the fact that the lead got broken at the tip.

 

Kyungie hyung will get mad at me if I even put one scratch on you.

 

Jongin stared back at the pencil, momentarily forgetting the call he was making. The said pencil was what he used when he was still learning to draw, of course, under the supervision of his Kyungsoo hyung [Jongin’s enjoying calling him his now]. The older boy gave it to him back then as a gift after he drew a silhouette of boy spreading his wings. It wasn’t as good enough as the one done by the older, but Jongin was proud to show it to Kyungsoo, as it was his first ever piece, and also because he drew it for the said boy. He could literally see pearl white wings at the back of Kyungsoo because of how ethereal he seemed even under the artificial light of the room.

 

A familiar snap tore Jongin out of his dreamy flashbacks.

 

 

“Hyung!” He grabbed the tablet because, yes, that sound only meant that his call got through. But he immediately frowned when he was greeted by nothing but Kyungsoo’s Skype display picture.

 

“H-Hi Jongin… g-good morning…” Kyungsoo answered sheepishly on the other line.

 

“I can’t say it’s good unless I see you right now. Why is your cam not ?”

 

“U-uh…b-because I d-don’t w-want to?”

 

“Hyuuuung.” Jongin whined childishly.

 

“W-What?”

 

“Open. the. cam. right. now.”

 

Kyungsoo gulped on the other line. “Don’t w-want to.”

 

“You’re lying. You’re hiding something from me! Is someone there with you?!” Oh no, tell me it’s not what I’m thinking! I haven’t even properly confessed yet!

 

“No one’s here except me Jongin.”

 

“Then why won’t you open the camera hyung? Open it please? pleeeaaassseee???  I badly want to see you…” the younger pleaded as much as he could. He was literally dying to see Kyungsoo right now. A few hours away from the said boy, and now he was reduced to this whining mess.

 

“I… I c-cant.” Kyungsoo replied shyly on the other line.

 

“But why hyung?” the younger was almost in tears now. Last night they were so close, and yet today, Kyungsoo won’t even let him see him. It felt like being stabbed multiple times in the heart.

 

“B-because…” Oh god this it. I don’t think I can take this. Jongin dramatically clenched his shirt near the chest, as if trying to keep his heart from falling out from a looming heartbreak.

 

“B-Because?”

 

Kyungsoo whined in defeat from the other line. “Because I’m s-shy?”

 

 

Oh. Oh.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo hyung’s shy.

 

Shy.

 

 

 

 

 Oh. Oh.

 

 

Jongin’s eyes once again turned into crescents as hearty laughs escaped his lips. “Y-yah! What are y-you laughing at?!”

Oh god. Can he get any more adorable than this?

“Oh, hyung… I badly want to kiss you right now from what you just said, but I can’t so please, just open the camera. It’s unfair if only you get to see me while I’m faced with an empty window screen.” Jongin pouted on the screen, hoping to get the desired effect he wants from the other.

 

Kyungsoo could never resist his pouts. Nope. Never.

It was Jongin’s trump card.

 

 

The older sighed in defeat, causing Jongin to internally cheer for victory. “Okay.”

A few ruffled sounds and at last, the screen changed as Kyungsoo opened his webcam.

 

“Hyuuung…. I said I want to see you, not your pillow!”

 

“B-but I don’t know how to face you!” Kyungsoo whimpered on the pillow which was definitely receiving so much not-so-friendly glares from Jongin. Apparently, Kyungsoo’s tablet was placed on the night table while he buried his head on his fluffy pillow (his final defence), which to the younger’s dismay, was the one eating up the whole screen.

 

“Hyung… if you don’t move that damn pillow away, I’ll have to punish you this Saturday.” the younger sneakily threatened.

 

Kyungsoo’s head immediately puffed out of the cursed pillow (yes, Jongin cursed that pillow for cuddling and hiding his hyung from him), causing Jongin to almost squeal in delight, seeing the older’s doe-eyes lit up, all alarmed just with the mention of the word punish.

 

“N-no… not that.. please Jonginnie…?” Kyungsoo appealed from the other line, brown orbs dilating with worry.

“Alright hyung…” Jongin smiled. “At least that got you out of your pillow.” he darted out his tongue just to a bit more.

 

 

Jongin -1, Kyungsoo – 0!

 

 

“Ugh… idiot!” Kyungsoo grumbled but Jongin didn’t fail to see that smile on his lips.

“Why didn’t you answer immediately hyung?”

“I was calling someone downstairs. I left the tablet here in the bedroom. Sorry Jonginnie…”

 

“Calling someone?”

Who’s that someone more worthy to hear your voice first thing in the morning instead of me, hyung?

 

“Yes.” the older grinned from the screen making Jongin scowl immediately, mentally planning a murder scene the moment he finds out the person’s name.  Only I am allowed to make him smile like that! No one else!

I, Kim Jongin, claimed his stake last night!

 

“I called the bus company. I need to reserve my seat a week before the trip. Office hours start by 8 am so I called them immediately. I wanted to make sure I got that morning slot.” Kyungsoo smiled innocently from the other line. “Were you thinking of me calling someone else, Jongin?”

The younger blushed immediately from the guilt. “N-No hyung.”

 

Kyungsoo quirked his eyebrow.

 

“Alright. Fine I did! It’s just… you always…and I mean always answer every time I call.  I just…just got anxious.” Jongin shyly rubbed his nape after his not so manly confession. Kyungsoo giggled from the other line.

 

One point for Kyungsoo!

 

“I think someone’s jealous…” Kyungsoo sang in a teasing manner, delighted by the way the younger totally turned into a human tomato.

“Y-yah! No I’m not.” Jongin defended immediately.

“You are Jonginnie… you are.” Kyungsoo beamed. “And I really like it.”

 

 

Jongin made a mental note to drown Kyungsoo with breath-taking kisses next time.

 

‘Cause Jongin always wins.  (Okay, slash that) Kyungsoo wins this time.

 

Jongin – 1

Kyungsoo – 2!

 

 

 

 

 

Friday, December 13, 2013

[4:00 pm; Research Room]

 

 

“Woah! Woah! Slow down Kyungsoo! You’re gonna topple down the printouts!”

Chanyeol immediately rushed towards the poorly leaning stacks at the edge of their working table and used his own body as temporary shield before all the paper works they’ve done for the whole month fell to its doom. It’s about 500 pages worth of writing and research and god forbid those fall and scatter all over the place because he won’t have the patience to pile it all up in their right order; much more if he had to reprint the pages that would get damage along the process.

It’s already Friday and he too has his own stuffs to deal with (arranging the paper works not included, mind you.), and who doesn’t?

 

It’s start of winter break!

 

The same thing might have been probing along the mind of the younger, which, he noticed, had anticipation crawling all over his body the whole day. Kyungsoo kept looking at the wall clock ever since they’ve started their shift at the research room and kept checking his phone from time to time.

As if he wasn’t contented enough, he kept on bugging Chanyeol on how many pages does he have left to print for the final submission, accompanied with small cute naggings of what’s taking you so long hyuuuung???

 

“Sorry Chanyeol hyung!” the younger smiled guiltily as he took the CD with the softcopy of all their submissions from the rack beside the stack of papers. With a quick dip of his hand inside the drawer, he withdrew the disc pen writer and started marking the stickered surface of the compact disc with the right label and the date. After sealing it inside a semi transparent case and writing up the same label on the corner, he dashed out of the room to submit it to their professor, who to his luck was just coming back from his last class.

“Sir! Here’s the last set of the files. I’ve compiled them as you instructed.”

Chanyeol saw the younger smiled back as he waited for the approval, which was given by their professor in a matter of seconds with a nod and a generous thank you. The younger came back in the almost empty room squealing in delight.

 

“We did it hyung! We’re done for the year!” Kyungsoo cheered like a five year old.

“I can see that. What’s making you so hyped up Kyungsoo?”

 

The younger dashed back to his section and hurriedly took out a piece of paper from a compartment of his tablet holder and started waving it in front of the tall boy.

 

“A ticket?”

“Yup!”

“Are you watching a concert or something?” the older joked.

“Nope! I’m going for a winter trip!” Kyungsoo squealed again in delight.

“A winter trip? Like, the whole winter vacation?”

“Yes!”

“But what about Christmas and New Year? Weren’t we supposed to at least meat up with the guys and celebrate before the year ends?”

 

Kyungsoo’s hands stop midair as his eyes widened a bit after realizing that he just missed out that important part.

 

“. I forgot.” Chanyeol sighed in defeat.

“You know Chen’s going to rant about this when he finds out right? Not to mention, Luhan-ge and Suho hyung.” Kyungsoo faced palmed.

“And you know what happens when he does that. You better hide when you get back Soo.” Chanyeol snickered as he observed the younger, who before was jumping in happiness, was now squirming in misery.

“Oh no. Just no. I can’t take another drunk Chen hyung on me again!”

“You did this to yourself Soo. Planning out a vacation and leaving us, out. Therefore, prepare to pay the consequences.” Chanyeol trembled his fingers in front of Kyungsoo, imitating a wizard (more likely a witch) casting a dark spell on his very first victim. The younger fidgeted away, as if trying to escape the spell’s grasp upon him. Too bad, though. The ticket was there already, a round trip one, and he knows he won’t be back three whole days after the clock strikes midnight on the last day of the year.

And as much as he’d want to spend time with his friends, Jongin somehow comes at top priority.

“I guess I’ll deal with it when I get back.”

“Better call Chen and the others now. I don’t want to be the one to break the news.” Who knows what Chen might do to me! Chanyeol grimaced at the thought.

“Fine.”

 

 

 

 

It took two unbearable rings before Chen answered Kyungsoo’s call.

 

“Kyungsoo ah!” Chen sang on the other line.

“Hi hyung…” Kyungsoo tried to keep his voice at a normal tone. He’s been going round about what to say to the older. , this is harder than I thought.

“Did Chanyeol and Baekhyun remind you of the year end party? We’ll be partying here at my house aaaallll niiiiggghhht looooong~~~! My parents are both away for the rest of the year!”

 

Ugh great. Now I don’t know how to drop the bomb.

 

“Y-yeah. Chanyeol hyung and I were just talking about it a few minutes ago.”

“So I’ll see you soon?

 

There it was. The looming question Kyungsoo hoped Chen would’ve avoided asking.

This is it. Now or Never. Kyungsoo just have to say it. Sorry, hyung, but I can’t go. Yeah. Just like that. Then it’ll all be over.

 

 

“Soo?” Kyungsoo seemed to have taken a lot of time before he answered back.

“H-hyung…I”

“I’ll see you soon, right?” Kyungsoo pinched the bridge of his nose. Ugh. What should I do???

“I…t-that…” the younger was at loss for words.

 

There was a deadly pause from Chen’s side.

 

“No…no…Kyungsoo!” Chen’s gleeful façade started crumbling down as he pieced the puzzle together.

“I’m s-sorry hyung!” the younger clutched his phone for dear life. He never wanted to break that agreement they’ve had. It just…kind of slipped his mind because of what happened with Jongin. Now Kyungsoo feels ashamed for everything. The party was agreed by the six of them back on November, right after Chen learned that his parents will be going to a winter trip out of the country. Chen persuaded both of them to leave him this time and have the house all to himself (well not really since the rest of EXO will be crashing there with him). No doubt the head vocalist was all heads up in waiting for the said day, because finally, finally, Kyungsoo agreed to go. His favourite dongsaeng rarely stays with them for outdoor activities, so this was indeed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Which was now being crushed by Kyungsoo himself.

 

“I’m sorry hyung. I really am. It’s just that, I got the ticket all ready and… and… I just…” Kyungsoo stopped midway, thinking that, despite whatever reason he gave, in the end it was still all his fault. It was him who forgot the deal, and yet he doesn’t regret one bit, except that he had to hear that heartbreaking disappointment in his hyung’s voice.

Because Kyungsoo’s mind and reasoning flows back to a boy named Jongin.

 

“I’m really sorry.”

“….”

“Hyung… Chen hyuuuungg.. please… talk to me…”

 

Chen sighed sadly from the other line. He knows he can’t stay mad at Kyungsoo for the rest of the year. Heck, he can’t even get mad at him because of this. He just felt, undeniably sad.

 

“It’s fine. It’s not like you could refund the ticket.”

“Hyung… I’ll make it up to you…I promise.” Kyungsoo fought back the tears trying to spill from his eyes. He just hates the feeling of having someone upset because of him. It wasn’t a good feeling either way.

 

“Are you going back to the countryside?” Chen quietly inquired.

“Yes, hyung. I’m leaving tomorrow morning.”

“That early?!”

“I’m sorry…” there was another pause.

 

“Are you meeting that Jongin kid?” Kyungsoo’s eyes widened.

“Er…y-yes?”

I should’ve known, Chen thought. “You owe me this one Kyungsoo? Got it?”

“Yes hyung! Thank you! Uhm… thank you for understanding.” the younger smiled and felt more at ease, as if the great load he was bearing above his shoulders was finally lifted off.

“I’ll relay this to the rest of the guys. I…I guess I won’t be seeing you ‘til next year?” He could hear a tinge of disappointment from the older, but then again, he really can’t do anything about it anymore. The deed is done. No turning back now.

“Y-yes…but, I’ll call! During the party, and Christmas Eve, and New Year’s Eve! I’ll call hyung. I promise.”

“We’ll be waiting then. Kyungsoo ah?”

“Yes?”

“Have a safe trip okay? We’ll miss you…” Chen stayed silent for a bit, contemplating on whether to say it or not. In the end he still did.

 

“I’ll miss you…”

Kyungsoo was taken aback from the sudden confession, but dismissed it off as a friendly, brotherly gesture from Chen.

“Me too.”

 

 

 

 

[10:30 pm; Do Residence]

 

 

 

“Got everything set?”

“Yup.”

“Clothes? toiletries? accessories? shoes?”

“All packed.”

“What about that movie and that anime series I mentioned before? Have you down-“

“Got my laptop and external hard drive with me. All in there.”

“What about-“

“Jongin geez, stop worrying. I’ve got everything under my checklist. I even double - checked while packing. Besides, if I missed some stuffs, I could just grab some of my things back at the family house.”

“Okay…uhm…hyung?”

“Hmmm?”

“Sketchbook and pencil?”

“Jongin!”

“What? I was just making sure hyung!” Jongin chuckled mischievously at the other line.

“I can clearly see that.” Kyungsoo spoke back with a bit of sarcasm.

 

“What are you doing now?” He saw the younger scoot closer to the camera, squinting to see what he was currently doing.

“I’m making a back-up copy of all the files from the laptop. You can never tell what could happen right?” Kyungsoo responded back while dragging the mouse along the screen, selecting every file needed to be copied. A quick click above the “Ok” and soon a dialogue box appeared, showing the files being copied straight to his second hard drive.

“Wouldn’t that take long hyung? It’s getting late. You should get some sleep. What time does your bus leave tomorrow morning?”

“It would take another hour, but I can manage Jongin. The bus leaves around 7 am so I need to get there by 6:30, just to be sure.”

“Okay. I’ll wake up early to call you. In case your own alarm clock fails to wake you up.”

“Yah! Are you saying only you could wake me up then?”

“That depends on the occasion. Next time I’ll try “Sleeping Beauty”. But for now, you’ll just have to endure a phone call.” the younger gave a seductive wink that send Kyungsoo nearly dropping off his seat.

“Oh God, I think I just created a monster here.” the older groaned as he hid his face behind his milky white fingers.

“Nope, just a Kyungsoo-addicted Jongin.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

.

.

 

“No. Please. Please…” Kyungsoo ruffled his hair in frustration.

 

“Are you sure Miss? Please, can you double check?”

 

“Yes Sir. I’m sorry but the bus left a few minutes ago. Company protocol was to be here 30 minutes before the trip to confirm the reservation; else it shall be given to a chance passenger.” the young lady from the other side of the glass contained booth with a circular opening for conversation calmly explained.

 

Kyungsoo looked back at the wall clock.

 

7:05 am

 

5 minutes.

He missed his bus that left exactly 5 minutes ago.

 

I’m screwed.

 

Kyungsoo was ready to collapse right then and there on the bus reservation office.

 

 

He was too excited last night that it took him another 2 hours before his body gave up and succumb to the power of slumber. And due to the lack of sleeping hours, as well as the exhaustion of yesterday’s dealings, Kyungsoo failed to register the deafening sounds the moment his alarm clock gone off. He woke up 20 minutes after Jongin’s non-stop yelling of wake up hyung and some string of curses because the sandman seemed to have poured a whole sack of sleeping sand on Kyungsoo’s lovely eyes, preventing him from waking up.

Kyungsoo did almost all of the impossible despite the luggage he’s been carrying, just to get in time for his trip. Alas, time seems to be mocking him, making him miss it by barely 5 freaking minutes.

 

“Miss, could you check if there are any vacancies for the next trips?” Kyungsoo pleaded with teary eyes.

“A moment sir.” the lady made some robotic like tapping along the keyboard and adjusted her reading glasses as the screen popped up the schedule and seat lists for the day. “I’m sorry, but all the trips for today are fully booked. You could wait as a chance passenger in case another one fails to confirm his reservation.”

Kyungsoo sighed. “Okay, thank you.” He pulled up his black stroller’s handle and started guiding it towards the seating area. There weren’t a lot of vacationists yet; only 4 people were staying at the waiting area along with their own baggage. Kyungsoo claimed the corner seat at the very first row, drawing the stroller in front of him and settling his backpack at the vacant seat adjacent to his. Adjusting his body in a more comfortable position, Kyungsoo took out his phone and swiped his lock pattern.

A call immediately popped up on the screen. Kyungsoo can’t help but have mixed emotions while staring at the grinning photo of the caller.

 

Jonginnie calling

 

At that moment, Kyungsoo’s head was suddenly flooded with imaginations. Scenes of how he and Jongin’s going to spend the winter break. Cuddles, laughter, sleepovers, cook outs. There were so many… so much Kyungsoo had planned before hand; so much that his list might have taken up a number of notepads if they were all written.

And yet here he was, just missed the bus – his only way back to Jongin, and has no idea if he’d be able to still proceed with the trip.

Kyungsoo pressed the answer button.

 

 

“Hyung? Did you make it?”

Kyungsoo tried to suppress his tears.

“N-No… I missed it by five minutes.”

“Oh…” he started tearing up the moment Jongin spoke, clear depression oozing off. “Where are you right now?”

“I’m still at the bus terminal. There might be a vacant seat on the next trips. I’m taking my chances.” Kyungsoo harshly swiped off a tear that fell on his cheek. It’s not a perfect time to cry. There’s still hope. He felt bad for wishing that at least one more passenger became unlucky like him and miss his or her bus too, but he had to. He badly wants to go back and see the boy, and just be with Jongin.

“I see. Don’t cry hyung. You’d get a ride soon enough. Believe me.” Jongin tried to encourage him but Kyungsoo can tell that there was a hint of distress from his voice. Nonetheless, Kyungsoo tried to remain positive just as Jongin has insisted.

“I-I’m not crying.”

“Uh-huh. I can clearly hear your stifled sobs hyung. I know everything and I can tell everything about you from head to toe.” The statement made Kyungsoo smile a bit. Jongin’s good at that, making him smile despite the struggle he’s been going through.

 

“I just want to get there as soon as possible.”

 

“I feel so loved.”

 

“I didn’t say that.”

 

“I major in reading between the lines hyung.” the younger snickered.

 

“You’re not making any sense anymore.” Kyungsoo was now giggling this time.

 

“But you’re laughing. That means I got my message through.”

 

Kyungsoo inhaled deeply to recover his composure.

“Thanks Jongin.” he muttered softly against the speaker as he wiped off the rest of his tears.

“Anything for you Kyungie hyung.”

 

 

Kyungsoo had to finish his conversation with Jongin around fifteen minutes to eight. The younger was called by his mother to grab some breakfast first. After promising to call right after he got his stomach filled, Jongin ended the call. Now with nothing to busy himself with while waiting, Kyungsoo looked around the vicinity of the bus terminal. A movement to his left briefly caught his attention. It was the lady from the reservation booth.

“Excuse me sir.” the young lady bowed. Kyungsoo responded in a friendly manner as well.

“We seem to have a vacant seat for the 8 am trip. I asked the conductor if they could give you the seat initially left out in case there’d be a handicapped passenger. And since it’s almost time for departure and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter