An Angel as A Brother

A Brother For Me

At dawn, rain pour down hard on earth…

A girl walk down on a side path holding umberella in her right hand and a bag of groceries in her left hand. She suddenly stopped, because in front of her, there’s a boy who seem lost his conscious. She stare long at the boy, and then just go past him. He was none of my business, she thought. She walking until she arrive at a small house filled with many beautiful flowers, she get inside and put down her umberella. That girl name is Park Hyun Mi.

She take off her scarf and jacket, then go to kitchen to arrange the groceries inside the refrigerator. Hyun Mi stopped, this season is rainy season, and soon autumn will come. Will that boy alright ?, Hyun Mi shocked with her own thought, and without she can stop, Hyun Mi already ran through the rain to that boy’s place. She looked down on the boy, what am I doing here ? Whatever !, Hyun Mi lift up the boy, whom she realize is younger than her, on to her back, and walk home.

After taking some bath and clean that boy, Hyun Mi put him in the guest’s room. “What am I doing right now ? Why am I helping this boy ?”Hyun Mi go out of the room and go to the storage. She take one box which writed “Dad’s Old Cloth”. She open it and take out one shirt and one pants. “I reckon this will do”she came back and put on these clothes on the boy. When Hyun Mi is about to put the cloth in the dirt cloth baket, she noticed that the boy wore a middle school uniform.

“This boy… he actually younger than me, why is he so tall ? Ck, whatever”she throw the cloth in to the basket and walk to kitchen to cook meal. A simple meal consist of rice, chicken soup, and a glass of water.

“I felt really tired, should I leave some food for that boy ? I will lock his room to prevent him robe anything from my house”Hyun Mi finish her meal, wash it, then go to the boy’s room with a bottle of water and a glass. Hyun Mi put it on the desk and check on the boy. That boy is quite strange, his skin is so white like milk, but now it was a bit red, and his breathing seems hard.

When she touch his forehead, it was burning. “So hot… how long has this boy in the outside ? He definitely have a high fever, ck ! I didn’t… why am I… aaargghh !! Whatever !”Hyun Mi rush out of the room and come back with a big bowl of ice, 2 towels, and a medicine box, then lock the door behind her. She throughly checked on the boy’s temperature, it’s about 40o !

“It was really high”she take some ice and put it into the towel, then poking them on the boy’s forehead.

“Fever… this medicine will do for now”she take a bottle of paracetamol syrup from the medicine box and feed a spoon of it to the guy. The boy gulp it down unconsciously. For a while it’s silent, but suddenly the boy’s expression seems he was hurt.

“Stop…Uncle, please don’t… it hurts… stop…”the boy start to talking in his sleep.

What…is this boy talking about ?, Hyun Mi thought.

“Mom…please help me…Mom… don’t leave me… I hate Uncle…”Hyun Mi’s heart moved a little by the boy’s talking, he looked so weak now, he seems like in a deep hurts. So Hyun Mi reach out her hand and grab on the boy’s hand.

“Ssshh ~ Don’t worry, I’m here, you don’t have to worry anymore”she rubbing her thumb to calm the boy. His breath become easier, but he didn’t let go of Hyun Mi’s hand. He looks handsome if I look carefully, Hyun Mi continue taking care of the boy… until she fall asleep beside him.

“Angel-noona ( *Noona – how a little brother calling their big sister )”that boy smiled in his sleep.

.

.

.

.

In the morning, Hyun Mi wake up first. She quickly check on the boy’s temperature, it was reduced 3o. She remove the towel and tidy up the room. Without she knowing, the boy slowly wake up. “Noo…Noona ?”he called weakly, Hyun Mi turn around and found the boy looking at her.

“You have wake up ?”she put down the bowl and kneel beside the bed. “Are you alright ? Are you hurt anywhere ? What is your name ?”ask Hyun Mi.

“My name… I’m Oh Sehun, where… am I ? Who are you ?”Oh Sehun, that boy ask.

“You are in my house, my name is Park Hyun Mi, lay down for now, you have a high fever but now it’s better”Sehun checked his own temperature, it’s sure it’s hot. He suddenly grab on Hyun Mi’s cloth.

“Can I call you Noona ?”Sehun ask. Hyun Mi shocked, why a stranger like him want to call her ‘noona’ ?

“I don’t know why, but you can, tell me your home’s number after breakfast, I’ll call your parent for you”Hyun Mi walk out to get back all the things to the place, she shocked when she heard a bumping noises.

She quickly rush to Sehun’s room, “Hey ! What are you…”Sehun was on the floor, looks like his feet tangled to the blanket. Although Sehun is big, but he was slightly smaller than Hyun Mi, so it’s easy for her to lift him up back to the bed.

“Noona, please don’t call my parent, I don’t want to go home, please let me stay here, I will do anything in return, I will do anything you want, but just don’t call my home, I don’t want to go home”Sehun desperately begging to Hyun Mi. His body trembling which means something at his house scares him, and Hyun Mi can see through that. She give up, she think she will let Sehun stay for a while.

“Fine, I won’t call and I let you stay, but you have to help me with the house chores once you got better, for now wait here and I will make some breakfast for you, there’s a drink if you are thirsty”Hyun Mi leave him back to kitchen and start heating last night chicken soup and make a poridge. She also take a pills of medicine and a drink for Sehun, and deliver it there, with her own meal.

“Noona, thank you very much”Sehun say

“I’m eating here, so that I can have a one-go to the kitchen”Hyun Mi say

“Yes Noona”Sehun start eating. He eating pretty quickly though the poridge is hot.

“Sehun, how old are you ?”Hyun Mi ask

“Me ? I’m 15th this year, how about you, Noona ?”ask Sehun back

“18th, you can just wear my father’s old clothes for change, they are still good to wear, I have to water my garden after this, you can just rest Sehun-ah”Hyun Mi take over the dishes and left Sehun alone in the room.

Hyun Mi go out to the front garden to water her plants after washing the dishes. All her plants grow goodly, other than flowers, there’s also fruits, medicines and vegetables, so she won’t bother to buy much ingridients at market. Hyun Mi also like to give the granny who live beside her house some of the vegetables, and she will rewarded with some delicious foods the granny herself made, sometimes she also learn how to cook with the granny.

“Wake up early again, Hyun Mi-ya”greet the granny

“Yes Granny”she answer with a bright smile.

“Come over for a bit after your part-time work, okay ? I have delicious dried meat for you”say the granny

“Yes Granny, thank you as always, do you need any vegetables perhaps ?”Hyun Mi ask

“Oh no, I’m not, but my long relatives need some ginger to make ginger tea for his son, do you have any ?”the Granny say

“Oh yes, I have a lot, I will give it when I come over”answer Hyun Mi

“Thank you, Hyun Mi-ya”say the Granny before she gone back into her house.

“Noona !”Sehun shout from the window

Hyun Mi shocked to see Sehun there, “What are you doing ?! Why don’t you rest Sehun-ah ?!”she say

“I’m just wanted to see Noona’s plants, wow ! Noona, you grew a lot of them !”Sehun say

“It’s just a useful hobby of mine”Hyun Mi reply

“How cold, you seem really close with that granny, Noona”Sehun say

“She’s like my own grandma, she was the only one precious to me”she say. Hyun Mi done with the watering. She take gardening staff and start choosing which ginger she want to give to the granny. She take one plant and dig out the root, it produce a really big ginger, that was enough for 4 peoples.

“Wow ! Such a big ginger, Noona !”Hyun Mi keep silent and clean the ginger. She take it inside and put it in the refrigerator. She make more poridge for Sehun and went bath. She quickly get dressed and pick her bag after it.

“Sehun-ah, I’m going to my part-time job, take care of the house, there’s food in the pot and you just need to heat it again, don’t forget to drink your medicine, okay ? Bye”Hyun Mi set off to her part-time work place, in a café that’s near her house.

“Noona, be careful, please go home fast”Sehun said quietly after she left. He just cuddle up inside the bed.

At the Café…

Hyun Mi work really fast and clean. She take orders, clean the tables, wipe the floor, even Suho, her closest friend ( or you can call self-proclaimed closest friend by Suho ) amazed by her unusual behavior.

“Hey Hyun Mi, are you working quickly because you have a date ?”Suho ask. That angel-like boy looking at Hyun Mi carefully.

“No”Hyun Mi reply shortly

“Oh I know ! You have someone you have to care, don’t you ?”Suho guessing

“Yes”Hyun Mi say

“Who is it ? A boy ?”Suho ask quriously

“A lost kitty, a male, and he was sick”Hyun Mi say.

“Oh… I think someone catch your interest, so actually a lost kitty”Suho seems disappointed. He think some boy might can catch this Ice Girl’s interest, so there’s nothing.

“Waiter !”Hyun Mi turn around and her face instantly showing anger

“There your favorite fan”Suho said teasingly

“He was none of my business”Hyun Mi say with a flat-face and coming towards that guy.

“What do you want, Sir ?”Hyun Mi ask casually

“Euumm… your heart ?”that tan boy answer

“Okey, a cup of black coffee with no sugar”Hyun Mi write on her note

“Wait ! I don’t order that !”that tan boy say. Black coffee is the most drink he hate, more over if there’s no sugar, and Hyun Mi know that weakness of him.

“So tell me quickly or I just give you a non-sugar black coffee”Hyun Mi said still with her flat-face

“Fine, café-latte then, I really just can’t win you, Noona”the tan boy say

“I’m not your anything so don’t call me Noona, and you are not anything to me so drop off the close act”Hyun Mi say cooly walk away and give the order to Suho.

She deliver it to the boy and quickly leave. “You really are cold-hearted, are your heart made of metal ? Even that handsome boy over there can’t shake you off”Suho say

“Save your comment for your own boyfriend, Suho”Suho’s cheek become pinky. Lay, a cute boy with a deep dimple, is Suho’s boyfriend since their college time, and for a bit information, Lay is a boy with a poor memory, so he sometimes forget his own home.

“D-don’t mention about it !”Suho say

“Look who get embrassed”Hyun Mi say with a thin smile.

“Noona !”Hyun Mi shocked hearing that voice, she turn around and see Sehun walk over to her wearing her fur jacket.

“Sehun ?! What are you doing over here ?!”Hyun Mi walk to him and check his temperature, it’s still hot.

“You are sick, why are you walking around ?”Hyun Mi ask,  puling him to sit at front.

“I’m lonely in the house, so I went to search Noona, I see you outside just now, so I get here”Sehun say with a smile

“So…this is the lost kitty you say just now ? He look tall, but young too, your hoobae ?”Suho ask curiously

“A lost kid, Noona pick me up and take care of me all the night because I sick”Sehun say with a childish tone. Suho find out that he will like this kid soon.

“Suho, please take care of Sehun just for a while until I’m done, okay ? Sehun, stay with Suho until I’m done”Hyun Mi gone to the kitchen to wash dishes.

“Yes Noona”Sehun say.

“So, your name is Sehun ?”Suho ask

“Yes Ahjusshi”Sehun say

“Call me Hyung, I’m not that old, you know”Suho say

“Yes Hyung”Sehun say

“How old are you ?”Suho ask

“15th this year, I’m 3 years younger than Noona”Sehun say

“How did you come with Hyun Mi ? As long as I know, she never get close to anyone, even a girl”Suho ask

“Noona pick me up in a rainy dawn, she take care of me all night when I got fever, actually I’m not allowed to go out because my fever still high, but I a bit lonely in the house alone, so I went to search for Noona”Sehun say

“You really are full of life, get well soon okay”Suho Sehun’s hair

“Yes Hyung”Sehun say. The tan boy, from his name tag named Kim Jongin, looking sadly at Sehun.

“Looks like… I have lost to him”he said sadly

Not long after, Hyun Mi finally done her work. “Come on Sehun, let’s go home, bye Suho”Hyun Mi grab on Sehun’s hand and drag him with her.

“Haaah ~ Hyun Mi, looks like that Sehun boy can melt your frosty heart, eh ?”Suho say quietly.

In the way, Hyun Mi and Sehun not saying anything to each other. Sehun felt uncomfortable with this quiet atmosphere. “Where do you want to go ?”

“Eh ?”Sehun look up to Hyun Mi when they stop walking.

“Since it’s weekend, and we are outside, let’s go somewhere first, it will near autumn, so I want to buy things to keep up with the cold”Hyun Mi say

“Then… can I get a scarf ? I want the same as Noona’s”Sehun say while point at Hyun Mi’s scarf, the red scarf which really long so it’s enough for 2 peoples.

“This one… you can have it Sehun, since I made it by myself, you won’t find the same as it anywhere”Hyun Mi said while taking off her scarf and wrap it around Sehun’d neck.

“Sehun ?!”suddenly a woman hug Sehun from side.

“M-Mom ?!”Sehun seems shocked, and somewhat… scared ?

“Oh Sehun, I have looking for you every where, so you just with this girl ! May I know who you are Miss ?”Sehun’s mom ask

“I’m the one who found him when he lost yesterday, nice to meet you Ma’am”Hyun Mi bow politely

“Oh my, thank you for taking care Sehun all this time, I will take him home with me, and these clothes…”Hyun Mi take a glance at Sehun who seem don’t want to go with his mom

“No, he can have it, please get home safely Ma’am”Hyun Mi bow one more time before she leave. This time, she run all the way to her house, to make sure what she felt in her chest… is real.

“Sehun… what have you done to me ?”Hyun Mi said while feeling the emptiness she felt once Sehun is not there.

Meanwhile that, Sehun right now is abused by his uncle, and the one he call ‘Mom’ before is actually his aunt. “You damn kid ! You dare to run from me ! Do you wanna die ?!”shout his uncle with each punch he give to Sehun.

Sehun can only cry quietly. He wish Hyun Mi didn’t let him go before, he wish Hyun Mi is coming, coming to save him from this hell inside his own house. His uncle continue to abuse him, his crazy uncle who get into a big debt and now releasing his frustration on Sehun, his only nephew.

Since he was ten, since he heard that his parent died in a car crash, Sehun live with his uncle and aunt. Sehun never expect that his uncle actually get into a big debt and was crazy, so he release all his frustration on Sehun, Sehun ? He can only cry quietly.

Sehun want to shout, Sehun want to cry, Sehun want them to stop, stop hurting him, stop making him cry. He hope… he can only hope now…that Hyun Mi come and save him. Please ! Please save me, Noona ! Please save me !, Sehun wish and pray, so that Hyun Mi will come.

#BRAAK !!!

“Hands up ! Police !”suddenly the door were kick open and many polices ruch inside and catch both Sehun’s uncle and aunty.

“What is this ?! Let me go ! Let go ! You damn polices !”Sehun’s uncle shout

“Oh Ji Rae, Oh Tae Sang, you both catch in the name of justice because child abuse and forbidden medicine trading ! You both will sentenced 25 years of prisioned ! Bring them to the temporary jail now and tomorrow they will procecuted !”shout a voice.

“Yes Ma’am !”say the polices and they drag those both to the temporary jail.

“Search in this house, I believe there’s still some narcotic in this house, leave the boy to me”the voice say again

“Yes Ma’am !”all the polices spread to search for the forbidden medicine. A warmth wrapped Sehun gently and he was being lifted off from the ground.

“Noona ?”he called weakly when he put on a small bed towards the ambulance.

“Yes Sehun, I’m here”Hyun Mi replied. She appear beside Suhun’s bed.

“What happened ? How did you find me ?”Sehun ask

“I ask help from the granny to search for you, actually she was a prosecutor, I show her the evidence of abuse when I cleaning your body and she say your uncle and aunt is actually an narcotic seller, so she think this is the best chance to catch them, also… we need you as a witness of child abuse, Sehun-ah… if you are afraid, I can come with you”Hyun Mi say

“Noona, can I ask you something ?”Sehun ask

“Yes, of course”they get on ambulance and go to the hospital.

“Can I live with you forever ? Can I be with you forever ? Please ?”Sehun ask. Hyun Mi smiling at him.

“Yes Sehun, you can, you now is my little brother, you can leave your house and come to mine”Hyun Mi say

“Thank you Noona”Sehun say

“Sleep Sehun, and tomorrow we can go home, to our house”and finally Sehun can rest peacefully, without fear of his uncle beating him again inside his mind.

.

.

.

.

A WEEK LATER ~

“Sehun ! You forgot your lunch !”Hyun Mi rush out bring 2 bento, one is for Sehun.

“Here ! Let’s go”after Sehun’s uncle and aunt arrested and punished 25 years in jail, Sehun adopted by the granny and she let him to live with Hyun Mi, whom also got adopted and they become brother and sister. Kim granny put Sehun in the same school as Hyun Mi, so that he can keep close with Hyun Mi.

They now ride bicycle together to school. “Noona, thank you for picking me up before, if not, I don’t how my life will be, I’m really lucky, you are my Angel-noona”Sehun say

“No Sehun”Hyun Mi say

“Hm ?”

“Actually I think I’m the one who lucky, because… I have an angel as my brother”Hyun Mi say. And they just smiling at each other, feeling happy, and wish that happiness will stay forever.

.

.

.

END