1/2

Time Will Tell

Entirely thrown off, you dropped the note and took a step back. Who would dare write such a thing, and try to scare you? It couldn't be your parents, could it?

You your heels, wanting to leave the library when you saw that the scroll that hung beside the door was overturned. You felt chills run down your spine as you went towards it.

Scribbled on it was the same thing:

I read your journal!! Really, I wish I knew what was going on!!!
 - Sungyeol

You took a pen from the table and sought your journal, the private book you kept in a place where no one would ever find.

You raced to the window where the sofa was, and you pushed it aside before plucking at a piece of wood, pulling it away and revealing a crevice where you stored your most private belongings. No one would ever think of this place.

When you reached to pull out your journal, you saw another book that was black in color. It wasn't yours, and you took out to see it.

You, if you can read this, please talk to me. I can't see you, I can't hear you, but I think you exist. Why is that your journal entries are in 2011? 
- Sungyeol

Your eyes widened. How was it possible that Sungyeol was talking to you? With the pen you had, you wrote in Sungyeol's notebook.

Are you Lee Sungyeol? ~

You held the book in your hand for a while before putting it back and taking your diary. You realized that someone scribbled in it.

It's all 2011. I'm from February 2010. Your latest entry was the same month. Are we . . . a year apart?
 - Sungyeol

You wrote in reply:

I really want to know what's going on, too.
 ~

You shook your head as you kept the book, believing that you were out of your mind. You put everything back in and covered the crevice, pulling the sofa over again. You thought, possibly, it could be over. It could all be a dream...

To your horror, you went back to your favorite place and saw that there was a giant gash across the whole seat. The soft cotton burst out of it, and you frowned in confusion.

"What in the name of god..." You mumbled under your breath as you grabbed your vampire book.

You went out of the library as calmly as you could, wiping the tears of fear away from your face. How could so much happen in one place at a time?

Back at your room, you almost dialed for your father when you noticed that your book had it's edges snipped off. The beautiful treasure had its paper edges cut away, and you were entirely baffled.

Opening it, you saw that there were more words in the similar writing:

I replied in the journal! Did you see the seat?? 
- Sungyeol

Your eyes widened as you went back to the library. Bravely, you recovered your journal and opened it. There was nothing. You took out Sungyeol's.

Hey! You exist and I exist. You have to keep talking to me. I want to know what's going on. Maybe you're a ghost . . . from the future. I don't know. I found your journal. This was where I keep mine, but yours appeared beside my book three weeks ago. I have the craziest assumptions, but I shall wait for you to reply. 
- Sungyeol

This is the most illogical thing I've ever done, but it seems that this is working. I think that secret hiding place is a portal, Sungyeol. That's my crazy assumption. It works because...we hide our things in a place no one will ever find it in. If you put it in there, no one finds it, I know where it is, I'll find it years later! That's why I can see your things, and you can see mine! Do you get what I mean? The painting and scrolls would NEVER be touched until I existed a year later! So I saw your notes! And, are you really really really from 2010? And I think you're the ghost... ~

Thank god you found my notes! That is exactly what I thought! Exactly... This is bothering me, but I'm glad I have found a way to talk to you. Yes, I'm from 2010! We are indeed a year apart. One question: Is the Sungyeol you're talking about in your journal about me? You said he died, and you didn't know how. I don't see myself moving out anytime soon, but maybe, and there could be another Sungyeol who lived in this house. Hopefully. Let me know, please. I need to know if it's me you're talking about.
 - Sungyeol

Lee Sungyeol (well, you) died, and the family moved out about weeks after. I didn't think he died here. I think it was an accidental fight in school. Wow, it's amazing how we're talking. I put this book back in the hole and cover it up and open it up again, there's the reply from you.
 ~

It is interesting, and I AM Lee Sungyeol!! That vampire book you always take with you is mine. I always find it missing whenever I put it somewhere, and I assume you took it... I'm still fine, and I'm not ready to die. How could it be that I died?! Are you sure that is why my family moved out? Please let me know. I'm honestly very scared, You. This is real enough, I'm sure you are not lying about my death...
 - Sungyeol

First things first. Let's prove to each other that we're real. I have a picture of me here. Tell me what you see. And you do the same. Stupid, but let's do it.
 ~

You're hugging your knees on a park bench, with a really huge smile. Your hair is tied. You're pretty... And the date on the photograph is in 2010. Here's me. What am I doing? And how did you move here? And let me know the date I... died. 
- Sungyeol

Yes! Oh my god... Your picture, you are with your brother? I think his name is Daeyeol. You two look like twins! Oh no. This is so weird. It's surreal, Sungyeol. You really are Sungyeol, aren't you?! My father works in this town now. And the date . . . it's 4 September 2010.
 ~

You are right. That is Daeyeol with me. It is really 2010 here and it's 1 September. Are you sure about the date? Do you think I can cheat death?! 
- Sungyeol

It is also 1 September here, but in 2011... Sungyeol, do not go to school on that day, 4th September, please! Please don't. I've checked, and you would be accidentally shot in a fight. The guys in the fight are Bang Minsoo, Lee Byunghun and Daeyeol! It was outside school, by the carpark when I think... Minsoo and Byunghun were teasing Dayeol and Dayeol got angry and went at them with a knife. Minsoo and Byunghun had a gun. You went to help Daeyeol and you got shot. I think you can cheat death, Sungyeol. Just stay home all week, if you can. Tell Daeyeol not to go to school, too! Please!!
 ~

I'm just sitting alone in this library and waiting for your replies every two second, and I still can't believe this is happening. Minsoo and Byunghun are the most irritating guys at my school! They should still be alive, right?! Yes, I won't go to school. I don't want to die. 
- Sungyeol

I don't want you to die, either. Minsoo and Byunghun are in school, MY school! We are in the same school..? But they only ever come by for school, with huge security officers with them at all times. They return to the boys' home after. They're s, and I'm trying to stay out of their way. Sungyeol, swear you will never go to school no matter what. I know death has a weird way of calling someone to his death. Please, don't die...
 ~

I know, thank you. If this is true, I will survive. Which means, I'll probably still be living there in the house you are in now. How can this be..? It's crazy. But thank you. I believe this, because there's no way anyone or anything can reply like this. You are very real to me.
 - Sungyeol

We have to thank this room. I don't think this works anywhere else, Sungyeol... This is going to be something I'll remember forever. Well, if you're alive, I would definitely not move here. Maybe another place in town. Sungyeol, stay strong. You are real to me too. 
~


It seemed crazy that this was happening, but you and Sungyeol whiled their time away in this little library, writing back and forth to each other. Day after day, you spoke, you wrote, you communicated. You both talked about each other, you both laughed, cried, shared pictures and things...

I sent you a little something!
 - Yeollie

OMG OMG OH MY GOD TAKE IT BACK!!!!!!!!!
 ~ Sungyeol-hater!

Sorry!! Hah, did it have maggots?!
 - Sungyeolaaaaaah~

IT DID!!! Oh my god I hate you for that, Sungyeol. IT STANK EVEN BEFORE I OPENED IT! Stupid cheeseburger. UGH.
 ~ Sungyeol-hater!

You're so funny... Hehe. Okay here's a canned tuna. I'm having one for lunch!
 - Yeollie

Wow it's gone. That's so much better! Thanks. Weird, it expired two months ago, you know, that tuna... Thanks anyway. Hahah. Have some fresh ones! I hope you don't find a live tuna fish in your hole!
 ~ Sungyeol-lover!

It's still canned! And super new. Well, it looks so to me! Thanks! xxx
 - Sungyeol xo


Days passed, and they awaited the final day. Or was it.

And the day of the 4th came. Sungyeol had managed to escape school for the previous two days, and he was going to skip this day.

You awaited a year forward, and you awaited his reply. you needed to hear from him at night, because the accident was in the late afternoon. you waited by the crevice, fists clenched as you waited for the clock to tick by.
you decided it would be time to open up the secret hiding place and read the book.

You saw nothing, much to your disappointment.

You checked every half an hour, and every time, there was no reply.

Was Sungyeol was gone..?