Book 1: The Broken Mask

Mesdemoiselles The Trilogy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica Jung, born in 1989, was the eldest daughter from Jungs' Corporation, one of the wealthiest companies in Korea. Beautiful, elegant, intelligent, yet snobbish and arrogant, as people would describe her. She wasn't a nice young lady in people's eyes, yet, no one knew the real story behind why she turned out this way. Jessica Jung once had one of the kindest and warmest hearts in the world, and after the incident which possibly no one knew about, except her family, she became one of the coldest and most arrogant people around. Even so, because of her massive authority, people lined up to bootlick her, to shower her with gifts which she couldn't be bothered with, to engage her to sign contracts with them, but it was never easy. Out of a hundred of such people, only two had managed to ever make her close a deal with them, and the two of them were under Exxon Mobil Corporation and Samsung. Both companies were within top 20 of the largest companies by revenue in the world.

She used to have friends, but that was before the incident. After the incident, she shunned all her friends and the only person she could be considered to be close with, was her sister, Krystal Jung. Krystal witnessed the change in her sister, but she loved her older sister all the same. Afterall, who could guarantee that they wouldn't undergo such changes if they had gone through the same thing her sister did?

It was a normal day as Jessica enters the company compound, outside their building. The two guards who were stationed there bowed 90-degree, but Jessica ignored them, as usual.

"I don't get how people tolerate such an arrogant bit-" One of them murmured to his colleague, thinking that Jessica was far enough to not hear him. He stopped short and quickly stood straight, when Jessica suddenly stopped. Slowly, but with a suffocating aura, she turned back and walked towards the guard.

"Your name is?"

"L-Lee Joonyoung, Young Miss Jung."

"Great. Lee Joonyoung-ssi? You can leave now."

"W-what?" Mr Lee's eyes widened in shock.

"I said, you can leave now. You don't have to report to work any more starting from tomorrow." Mr Lee's colleague stood beside him, his mouth agape.

"Y-Young Miss Jung! I know my mistake. I'm sorry. Please don't fire m-"

Jessica rolled her eyes as she turned and walked towards the building yet again, ignoring the pleads from the guard before he could even complete his sentence.

She felt refreshed when she finally entered the building, as the cold wind from the air-conditioner welcomed her. There were two rows of female staff on each of her side, the moment she stepped in, as they bowed 90-degree too. Jessica didn't return their greetings, as she walked straight. She suddenly stopped in front of a staff member, when she noticed the shade of pink that could be seen through her blouse.

"Do you know that your blouse is white?" Jessica asked, as she gave her a look, coldly.

"Y-yes Young Miss Jung..." The staff member unknowingly stuttered.

"Be mindful of what you wear inside. You're here to work, not to show people what you want to show your husband."

"Y-yes Young Miss Jung! I'm sorry. I'll take note. Please don't fire me!" Jessica furrowed her eyebrows as she got annoyed by her loud voice.

"I didn't say I was going to fire you, did I?" The staff member heard Jessica and had her head hanging low and Jessica rolled her eyes for the second time that day, as she moved off to her office.

She took the lift to her floor and opened the door to the conference room beside her office. A middle-aged man was waiting inside, and he stood up when he heard the door opened.

"Ah hi Miss Jung." He shuffled his feet nervously under the table.

"Yes. Sit." She gestured for him to sit, as she pulled out a chair beside him and took a seat herself. "So, this is about?"

"Ah yes Miss Jung, we're from Jinguk Enterprise and w-"

"Where?"

"Jinguk Enterpri-"

"I haven't heard of that."

"Ah yes... We're a ne-"

"Who scheduled you?"

"We approached Secretary Park direct-"

"Ah Secretary Park seriously..." Jessica muttered to herself, before turning to the man again. "Well, my company won't be closing any deal with you. You can help yourself with the refreshments outside. If you'll excuse me, I've some important work at hand so I'll take my leave."

"No wait Miss-" He found himself shocked when the door clicked shut before he could finish his sentence. "What an...."

***

Jessica was driving her Lamborghini Veneno Roadster, her fingers tapping along on the steering wheel with the music, when her phone rang. She pressed the "answer" button on her steering wheel and the sound system linked up with her phone, as the caller's voice sounded through the speakers.

"Young Miss Jung."

"Yes Secretary Park."

"I'm calling to tell you that you hav- Are you driving?"

"Yes I'm driving. What do I have?"

"Should I call you later?"

"It's fine."

"Alright. You're scheduled to meet Miss Kim Taeyeon at 3pm in your office."

"3pm?" Jessica took a look at her watch. It was already 1pm. "That's a really last minute meeting. Who is she? Secretary Park, you need to filter out potential companies. Just the other day, you scheduled me someone from Ji...Ji...what was that, I can't even remember now. Don't let me waste my time like this on such companies."

"I'm sorry Young Miss Jung. I was caught up in handling the new project when they contacted me and I just slotted him in because I saw that you were free. I'm really sorry."

"It's okay. I was just reminding you." Another person whom Jessica would hold back her harshness from, was Secretary Park, who was faithfully with her from before the incident. "So who is she anyway?"

"Miss Kim? I'm not quite sure. Chairman Jung wanted me to schedule that meeting."

"What? Daddy?"

"Yes."

"Okay okay. I'll be there later."

"Okay. Thank you."

"Yup. See you." The music resumed when the call had ended.

Kim Taeyeon... Since her name means calm in Korean, was she going to be as calm as her name is? Jessica was pretty sure that she just had to go back to office to give that Miss Kim Taeyeon one round of HellSica. That would do the job, she chuckled as she thought.

Half an hour before 3pm, Jessica arrived at her office as she parked her car. Her heels were clicking with every step she took, and she stopped for a second, when she noticed a stunning black Hennessy Venom GT parked near her car. "Hey there y." She couldn't stop herself from touching the stylish car. "I've never seen you around before." She chuckled before she made her way to the office.

When she reached her level, she noticed someone sitting at the lounge, back facing her, with long wavy brown hair. Nice hair, she thought, before she walked straight to her office.

Jessica stepped out at 3pm sharp, as she moved to the conference room. There was no one inside, and Jessica furrowed her eyebrows. She waited for ten seconds, before she walked back to her office and picked out her phone and called Secretary Park.

"Yes Young Miss Jung?"

"Secretary Park, cancel the meeting with Miss Kim."

"What? Why?"

"No one makes me wait."

"What? I heard Miss Kim actually arrived about half an hour ago."

"What?"

"Do you want to go check or something?"

"Argh. Okay." Jessica ended the call as she walked out of her office yet again. For some reason, she was suddenly reminded of the girl with long wavy brown hair and she walked a little further towards the lounge.

"Kim Taeyeon-ssi...?" She raised her eyebrow as she called out.

Upon hearing her name, Taeyeon stood up and turned and their eyes met.

"Ah. Jessica-ssi?"

"Why are you here? I thought we were supposed to meet in the conference room."

"Oh, I was here pretty early so I thought I'd wait here instead. Nice to meet you. Shall we proceed to the conference room then?" Taeyeon smiled. Jessica found herself a little uncomfortable with the confidence Taeyeon had.

"Sure." The conference room wasn't too far away and they reached soon enough. "Take a seat."

"Thanks."

"So..." Jessica's expression was on again. Be ready for HellSica mode, she internally smirked. "Where are you from?"

"Korea." Was that a joke? Jessica found herself furrowing her eyebrows as she couldn't believe what Taeyeon just said when she clearly was asking about her company.

"Are you kidding me? I'm asking you which company are you from." Jessica snapped and Taeyeon chuckled before a serious expression took over.

"Which company I'm from isn't important. What's important is the proposal. The smallest company can come up with the best idea, and the biggest company may come up with the lousiest idea ever." Nobody had ever dared to talk to Jessica this way, and she found herself at a loss for a while.

"Well..." She forced herself to think of a rebuttal. "If your company is too small, we have every right to question your credibility and capability."

"Then ask away." Taeyeon wasn't intending to back down at all.

"This is not a laughing matter, Taeyeon-ssi."

"I'm not treating it as one. I'm here to talk business with you, Jessica-ssi."

"Fine then. What's your proposal?"

Taeyeon smiled as she took out her iPad and started explaining her proposal. For the first time in two years, she actually didn't cut someone's words while they were explaining their proposal. This particular proposal was indeed extraordinary and interesting. For some reason, Jessica felt like the person who was explaining it had such overwhelming charisma too, even though she didn't quite want to admit it.

When Taeyeon was done explaining, Jessica had the urge to reject her, just for the sake of rejecting. She was supposed to show her HellSica, she thought. But, the proposal was indeed attractive, and so was Taeyeon, although that wasn't the point and she knew it.

"I'll think about it." Jessica said in the haughtiest way she could.

"Well, thank you so much then. I don't have a namecard, though."

"I don't need it. I'll let my secretary conta-"

"Oh I insist." Taeyeon quickly took out a small piece of paper from her file and scribbled her number on it, as Jessica looked on in shock. Did she just...cut my words? Jessica couldn't believe it. "Here." Taeyeon smiled as she handed the paper to Jessica, who mindlessly took it. "Well, I'll get going then. It was a pleasure meeting you, Jessica-ssi." The brunette stood up, bowed slightly, not bowing 90-degree endlessly like the usual clients would, and was about to leave.

"So which company are you from, exactly?" Taeyeon stopped by the door when Jessica struck the question.

"You'll know if you close the deal with us." Taeyeon turned back and winked at her, before she stepp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter