Third Person

Imagine

What the hell is third person? Why is it even created in the world of literature? Who gives you the right to recite someone's life story?

Who the are you? God?

"Lina, do you have something you want to share with the class?"

I roll my eyes.

"Why am I sitting here? Hell, why are we all sitting here? Why are you teaching? Why is society so spent on education that they can't loosen the up and realize that we already have what we need and more? What is animal life? You eat, you sleep, you mate, you survive. Education is the only thing that sets us apart from animals. But hey, you wanna know a secret? We are animals. Education not only builds us up, it's the one thing that tears us apart. It sets our ego into frenzies, maximizes our hatred by a thousand. We kill ourselves, we steal from ourselves, we do to our own kind that no other species would. Why? Because we're educated. Our life is revolved around education. You go to school for 12-13 years, and assuming you don't DIE EARLY, you end up working for your whole life. Isn't it stupid? Life is supposed to be life. It's supposed to be between heaven and hell. Why are we so close to hell? Goddamn, don't you get it? No matter how much you teach, this whole class will never be smart. We're all just a bunch of really educated dumb people."

"No."

--------------------------------

"Watch it!" I lean down to pick up my books.

"Oh , I'm sorry, I am so so sorry," Mr. Unidentitified looks back at his friend who apparently he was chasing and back at me. "I-I have to go. I'M SORRY."

I mutter the hell I'd like to give him under my breath.

Walking into Biology class, I see him again. 

Please don't see me. Please don't see me.

......And he sees me.

"You're that girl right?"

"I would hope I'm a girl."

"I'm sorry about earlier."

"Okay."

I try to walk around him, but he keeps blocking me.

"I feel like you hate me."

What.

"I just met you."

"I said I was sorry."

"And I said okay."

I walk over to my desk, but this time he follows me.

"My name's Eric."

"I know. I'm in this class with you."

"You're sure we're cool? You never told me your name."

"Lina. Lina Mae Lee."

He smiles.

"Great. I'll see you around."

As he walks back to his desk, I smile a little.

 

A week rolls around. Another week of testing, falling asleep in class, pulling all-nighters, and hardcore studying.

"No." 

That's been my motto to everyone lately.

"Please??????? It's just one party! Just one!" Madelyn pouts.

"Look, I don't even know the person who's having this birthday bash. And I need to study."

"Oprah once said, that if you keep pushing yourself to go higher and higher, just like the tale of Icarus, you will eventually fall."

"Really? You're going to quote someone who gives out free cars for a living and makes chai tea for America?"

"Yes. And I promise I'll introduce you to him."

"Fine. Just one."

She squeals and hugs me.

"Be ready by eight! My mom and I will come pick you up!" she says as she rushes to her class.

As I walk into Biology class, I see Eric again. I breathe deeply. In literal terms, I actually fell for him. He stops talking to his friends and heads towards me.

"If you haven't noticed, it's my birthday today."

"Congratulations, old man."

"Are you coming to my party this weekend?"

"No, Madelyn forced me to go to another one."

"Lina."

"Hmm?"

"I asked Madelyn if she could ask you."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Well, then yes, I am going to the anniversary of your birth."

"Okay."