One

Getaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taemin tried on his wedding suit at the store and twirled around on his mother’s gesture who nodded contently. He turned to look at his reflection and sighed softly, feeling slightly jittery, for his wedding was just another day away.

“Yunhee will be swooning when she sees you at the altar.” His mother said, pecking his cheek softly before having a last look at her son before helping him out of his coat.

Taemin smiled slightly at his cheery mother who was now looking for the designer, most probably wanting to praise her for the suit she had made him. He shook his head, getting back into the trial room to change into his casual suit.

He took his mother out for lunch when they were done at the store and his mother fished out his wedding invitation during their wait, handing it to him. “You had your finals so I didn’t ask what design you’d like, but Yunhee chose this, so I went with it.”

Taemin took it and flipped the delicate card open, his eyes stopping at his name and then his fiancee’s.

“The invitations had been sent long ago, but I figured you’d want to see how they looked like.”

Taemin just shrugged, “It is fine, I guess…”

“You should be more enthusiastic!” His mother exclaimed playfully, putting a smile on Taemin’s face as well.

“I am, Mother. I wanted to see Yunhee before the wedding.” Taemin said, handing the card back to her, “I was busy with my graduation and she was on vacation in Florida...and the wedding to be scheduled right after her return seems rushed to me...although you had been planning for ages.”

“What is there to see?” His mother asked, raising her eyebrow, “You know her since you were kids, and I assure you, she hasn't gotten ugly during her time abroad.” She picked up her glass of water, “Also...I know the wedding is rushed, but it was the elders’ wish to see you both married as soon as possible. You know, right? Those last desires to see their grandchildren settled and all.”

“But still.” Taemin raised an eyebrow this time. “I haven’t seen her for three months.”

“Letting the bride and groom meet before the wedding brings bad fortune.” His mother concluded.

Taemin let out a soft chuckle, deciding to change the topic as his mother was impossible to argue with. She was right anyway, he had known Yunhee for more than a decade, and he had also known he would marry her one day.

Right then his phone rang and his brows furrowed up on finding the called id read ‘Kim Yunhee’.

His mother leaned in to grab his phone, but Taemin grabbed it faster, knowing she won’t let him talk if she knew it was Yunhee calling him. He got up, excused himself and walked out into the garden of the restaurant hurriedly, before hitting the green button.

“Yunhee! Hi.”

“Hi, Taemin.”

“Good you called. I wanted to talk to you a bit before the wedding. Mother is keeping such a tight watch that I couldn’t even call you.”

“I understand. I am in the same situation.”

Taemin smiled, “Well...so how was your vacation?”

“Fine…”

“Just fine? Come on-”

“Taemin? I need to talk to you in person. Can you sneak out?”

Taemin’s brows furrowed again, “It would be difficult. Can’t you just say it now?”

“Please, Taemin.”

Taemin sighed, “Fine. I am having lunch with my mother. Once I am done I will make an excuse and get out. Where are you?”

“At the mall. Last minute shopping.”

“I’ll be there in sometime.”

“Make it quick.”

“Yeah.”

Taemin hung up, blowing air to his bangs as he stared at his phone a while. “What must be the matter?” He asked softly before heading back to his table.

Exactly an hour later, Taemin landed in front of the mall, telling his mother that he was meeting up with his college friends. He walked inside and dialled Yunhee’s number, who sent a message after rejecting his call.

 

First floor, near the washrooms.

 

Taemin hurried towards there and he felt a hand grab him before he reached the washroom. Yunhee had dragged him into some stationary shop and was leading him inside near a bookshelf.

She hadn’t changed much, except that now she had short hair with golden streaks in them.

“Nice hair.” He commented, remembering his mother’s lesson to compliment a woman on noticing anything new in her.

“Yeah, thanks.” Yunhee said, her face not swaying one bit at his compliment.

“So what did you want to speak about?”

“Taemin. I can’t marry you.” Yunhee said in a soft but clear voice.

Taemin blinked, “What?”

“This whole affair was arranged by the elders from the start...and I didn’t mind it, but now I do.”

“But what-”

“I have someone I love now, okay?” Yunhee smiled apologetically. “I met him in Florida...and I am going back to him tomorrow.”

Taemin just looked at her in shock. Something in his chest throbbed painfully, but he knew not what. “What about me?”

“You can easily find someone better than me, Taemin.” Yunhee said, “You are such a sweetheart-”

Taemin’s shock turned into anger at her words, “If you think that way, then why-”

“Taemin, do you love me?” Yunhee asked softly, and Taemin’s expression faltered. The question in Yunhee’s eyes grew clearer and Taemin found himself unable to answer it.

“You don’t.” Yunhee whispered. “Nor do I love you, Taemin. At least not in the way I always thought I did.”

Taemin remained silent.

“I am leaving tomorrow morning.” Yunhee repeated, “You are the only one who knows here...for now.”

“Why...tell me?” Taemin asked softly.

“Because I care for you, and I do not want to hurt you by the rumours that will spark after I run.” Yunhee replied, “I know it would be selfish of me to ask you to not think of me unfavourably, but-”

“I could never think of you unfavourably, Yunhee.” Taemin smiled slightly, “But…” His smile vanished, giving way to distress. “I…”

“I went through what you are going through now.” Yunhee spoke in a calm, caring voice, “Our relation has always remained vague, and it took me a while to understand that it never was what everyone told us it was...” She hugged him, “You will understand one day too, Taemin.”

Taemin couldn’t really process what she said, but he sighed, separating her from himself, “Truthfully, I am not alright with this." Taemin noticed Yunhee's face fall so terribly and he panicked; deciding to say something, but he didn't know what. Yunhee started to speak, releasing him from his struggle.

"Taemin..." She began, her voice a bit shaky, "I am being cruel to you, I am aware...and...and I feel awful about it. But marrying you isn't right. I will spoil it for you, for him, and for me as well."

Taemin sighed deeply, defeated. A small smile brewed up on his face and he nodded.

Yunhee’s eyes widened. She blinked many a times before Taemin’s growing smile made her jump. She gave him another hug, whispering overwhelmed thank yous, which made Taemin push her away and shake her to set her touched self in place.

“You’re welcome.” Taemin grinned, “Now go!”

She left in lightened, cheery steps, and Taemin’s smile lost a bit of the brightness he had feigned. “Be happy, Yunhee...and don’t make me regret what I did.”

 

 

Taemin felt all weird after he got back home, and he kept sighing, dreading the moment Yunhee’s elopement would spread through the two families.

Seemed like, he didn’t have to wait that long.


 

“WHAT?!”

 

Taemin woke up to his father’s loud voice early next morning and he sat up, groaning with fuzziness. A couple of minutes later, his mind gained his sense and he got out of bed, preparing his sleepy mind for the situation he had expected.

As soon as he was out his room, his mother pushed him back in, a worried expression on her face. Taemin remained silent, not asking her anything as he patted his hair down, yawning.

His father entered his room a while later, his face contorted in an attempt to hide his rage. His breathing was heavy due to his anger, and Taemin noticed that he wouldn’t be able to speak without his ferocity leaking into his words.

“It’s alright, father.” Taemin spoke instead, getting up and hugging him. “She doesn’t love me...and though her decision was reckless...I don’t think it was wrong.”

His parents were shocked at his words. His mother separated him from his father and shook him, “How could you say that so easily, Taemin? You cared for her so much!”

“I did and I do.” Taemin replied, “I just want her to be happy, and if she is happy by leaving, then I can accept it.”

“Are you really fine, Taemin?” His father asked, his eyes softening at the calm image of his son.

Taemin nodded, but moments later, his straight expression faltered, “Maybe I am not.”

His mother engulfed him into a hug the very moment his expression had fallen and Taemin felt a mixture of emotions fill him after saying out what he had.

The situation...it had finally touched him.

The throbbing of his chest grew, and he felt like sobbing, but he also felt angry, very angry; all of which he managed to keep at bay because of his mother’s warmth.

His mother let go of him and his cheek, a small smile coming over her distressed face, “Good she ran away. A girl like her was no match for my son.”

The rage on his father’s face had dissipated and he patted Taemin’s back, “It would be hard, but forget she ever existed, son.”

Taemin nodded in reply, and his parents left after discussing what to say to the rest of the family. Once they were gone, he flopped back into his bed, his face falling more with those strange emotions colliding within his heart.

He didn’t know what they were, but they stung, and all he wished was for them to leave his heart for good.

 

 

A couple of weeks had passed and Taemin was loitering around at home, playing video games or running movie marathons. His quietness and absence of luster on his face had his parents worried, but they did not meddle with their son, knowing it was best for him to sort his self out on his own. His aunt came by, dodging the topic that had been the talk of their every relative's house and thanks to the media, now it was the talk of every other house in town. She remained normal, and Taemin was glad at her company. He refused to meet anyone else, knowing them to express themselves in annoyingly exaggerated ways. He would choose to stay indoors, cooped up with his gadgets, uncaring of all that people labeled him as behind his back.

Taemin rolled in his bed, his laptop open in front of him as he just stared at it. He had been itching to check his SNS, as he was quite a bit addicted to it, but knowing Yunhee, he knew what to expect on his homepage. He took a deep breath, typed his password and logged in. On scrolling down, he found a picture of Yunhee, in the short white wedding dress, a picture of which his mother had shown him before. She was smiling brightly, too b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter