Cake

Graduation

Today was his graduation day. Finally, she had been waiting for this. She didn’t want to believe him when he said that he might graduate later than he should. But there he was, proving her wrong. He is finally graduating from university with the course of Electrical Engineering. This year was her graduation too. Only, her graduation was for the completion of her Master’s Degree. Like what he said on the last day of their high school years, they’re going to graduate at the same time. But he also said that he’s also going to take his course further into Master’s Degree. That means he at least has two more years. She was happy for him. She always wanted him to succeed. He was there during her university graduation so she thought it was only fair if she was also there for his.

 “Hey, congratulations!!” one of his friends said. His high school friends were also there to support him. Like how he did when they graduated.

“Thanks” he smiled. He looked around his friends gathered around him, and then around the venue although he didn’t want to make it obvious to his friends that he was looking for someone. They easily caught on though.

“Looking for Yunhee, huh?” his friend teased. “Don’t worry Hyun. She’ll be here; just running a little late. How could she miss your graduation?”

He smiled. He doesn’t have the intuitive skills that she has, but he was sure she was going to be here. She promised. And being friends with her for 7 years, he had got to know that she’s the type to keep her promises, no matter the situation.

 

“Dad, can we stop by the university there for a bit? I have someone I have to see.” She requested, pointing to a small school nearby. She knows her parents are impatient people but right now, she didn’t care. She ran to the venue, being careful of the gift she prepared for him. She was really late but also just in time for the giving of the diplomas. He was one of the first to come up for they were arranged in alphabetical order. She clapped her hands until it hurt. She was happy that she saw him after a long time. They rarely saw each other after graduating high school.

She watched him smile and laugh around their friends when the ceremony was over. They were here for his graduation. That made her happy. She was confident they would take care of him if she can’t. But as he laughed around, she noticed his eyes roaming around the place, seeming to be looking for something, or rather someone. She smiled and took a few steps closer and when she looked up, she found him looking at her with a mischievous smile on his face. She smirked.

They stared at each other for a few seconds until he waved his hand and motioned for her to come closer. She did, but without breaking the eye contact with him. When she was in arms length, he pulled her hand towards him in a hug. Both of them chuckled. She didn’t know why they laughed though. There wasn’t anything funny at all.

“Hey” he said when they broke off.

She smiled. “Hi”

“I finally did it, huh?” he inquired, seeming to look in a far off place. She laughed a bit, hitting him lightly on his shoulder. “Yeah, finally. I didn’t think you were serious about taking those two extra years, you lazy ”

He laughed too, his happiness reaching to his eyes; something that she noticed happening frequently when she was the one causing it. “I told you I was right”

She didn’t say anything after that. She just looked up at him, memorizing his features when she remembered about the gift that was hiding behind her back. “Oh I almost forgot. Here” she handed him the small, carry-on box that had a note stuck to it and he gladly took it. “Eat it well” she said. There was a sad tone in her words; something that he never liked to hear from her.

“You’re finally leaving, huh?” he mumbled, talking about the time where she almost left town to study at a university two hours from where they lived. He didn’t tell her directly but she caught on that he doesn’t want her to leave. Not then, not ever.

She bit her lip and stared at him. “I’m sorry. But you know I have wanted this for a long time.”

He nodded lightly. This was what she had always wanted. Who was he to stop her? He had always thought she was one of the smartest and wisest person he had ever met, so he wasn’t surprised when she told him she was offered a job in Japan with the highest pay he had ever heard to give to a rookie Clinical Psychologist. After giving up on her dream to be an idol singer, she focused her attention on the second thing she does best: reading and understanding people and their behaviors.

Sensing his sadness, she continued. “You know you’re important to me. I told you that countless of times. So why are you worried?”

He took a few moments before he answered. “I think it’s better if you’re just moving to another city. But this is different. You’re leaving the country.” You’re leaving me, he wanted to say. But she knew what he meant.

“But you also know I hate talking about things like this. I…”she said, struggling to find the right words to say. She always had trouble expressing her feelings.

“I’m going to miss you too.” She finally said. “I’ve gotten through all these years because of you. I will forever be grateful for that. But just know that I’m sure there will be times where I will regret ever leaving your side.”

His heart soared at what he heard. They have been each other’s pillars for all these years. He was already used to her presence. And for that to change just when he is about to start a new life, he doesn’t think he’s ready to be alone again just yet.

“You’ll be alright. You’re Minhyun, remember that. I will always think highly of you, no matter how low you think of yourself” she gently patted his cheek. He took hold of the hand that was patting his cheek. He didn’t care if their friends were watching them or not. They should be used to them by now.

For the first time that day, he looked down at her outfit. It was a pale blue Sunday dress that stopped short a few inches above her knees.

“Hey, why are you wearing that if you’re going to ride a plane? And aren’t you going to a cold country? Isn’t that too short?” he scolded, letting go of her hand. She looked down at what she was wearing. “Yes but you know I love the cold. And so what? It’s almost summer.”

He looked at her in disbelief but sighed. “Just…don’t wear that if you’re going to be around guys” she gave him a nod as an answer. After that, they were quiet. It’s not as if they had nothing else to say, in fact, they have a lot. They just didn’t know where to start.

So instead of talking, he put an arm around her and pulled her close; a side-hug. She was going to miss doing this. She wrapped an arm around his waist and with that, he pulled her even closer.

“You know, I’m going to have to go soon” she said quietly, not wanting to break the moment when she unconsciously did. He sighed and let her go. He stared at her and she stared back at him. She knew he wanted to say something so she stayed silent and waited.

“I’m…going to miss the two of us…together” he said, slowly. She smiled a sad smile. “I know. Me too”

“I don’t know when I will be back, but expect it to be a long time” she continued.

“Yun” he called.

“Hm?”

“…You must know that I stayed single for all these years because of you”

“…I do know. But neither of us confessed”

“Yes. Neither of us did” he agreed. And it was the sad truth. They have been friends for a year and then slowly developed feelings for each other. He had someone back then but things didn’t work out so he focused his attention on Yunhee until she too developed feelings for him. But not once did they confess. They conveyed their feelings though through holding hands, hugging and doing other couple-y stuff but they never verbally said it.

“So what of us now?” he asked and bit his lip.

Yunhee sighed and looked down. She saw this coming. She boldly grabbed his hand and held tight. “Like I said, I’ll be gone for a long time. You would have moved on by the time I get back. So…” she bit her lip before continuing. “I’m letting you go” she said quietly that Minhyun had to strain his ears to hear it. He knew all along that that was where they were going to end up but that doesn’t mean he wanted it. She once said she had let him go from her prison the first year of their friendship, but he was so curious about her that he persisted on being her friend. Yunhee had already opened the chains that bound him to her but he chained himself back and refused to escape. So here he is facing his punishment.

“You can…date whoever you want. Just…be sure to think long and hard first before making any decision”

He nodded, tightening their hands. “I love you.” He said even though it was too late. She smiled again. “I love you too” they wrapped their arms around each other and sighed. She rested her head on his chest like she always did and he rested his head on hers like he always did. She didn’t want to go just yet, but she has to. They broke off and when she was about to say her goodbye, their friends interrupted them.

“Hey you two! Let’s take a picture! This is one of Minhyun’s most memorable moments. We might as well have a remembrance” Minhyun thanked his friend in his head for the interruption. That meant he can be with Yunhee a little longer. During the picture taking, he made sure Yunhee was beside him in every shot, dragging her back to him by her head whenever she planned to move away. And when it was all over, he was sad again. This was really goodbye.

She turned to face him once again. She bit her lip before saying “Bye” he grabbed her hand and intertwined their fingers together one last time. He pulled her closer to him and gave her a tight hug one last time. With his free hand, he her hair and brought down his head to give hers a kiss. Yunhee’s eyes widened in surprise but quickly recovered when Minhyun pried her head away from his chest. He brushed away her fringe from her forehead and leaned down to give it a kiss as well. Yunhee closed her eyes and brought her head to his chest again, harder this time. “Bye…Minhyun”

He gave a sigh before he answered. “Bye” both of them pulled away but their hands stayed intertwined. Yunhee took a few steps back until their arms were stretched out. Minhyun bit his lip and tightened their hands for a moment before finally letting go.

He watched her skip away from him. Being with her was an amazing experience. He learned a lot of things just by talking to her and he was grateful. He used to live a lonely, unappreciated life before she became his friend. It was such a shame that they never told their feelings for each other until now. She would probably find another man in another country; one that he knows won’t be too scared to tell her what he truly feels for her. One who is smart, tall, rich, and good looking. Just like what she always wanted. The both of them doesn’t believe in past lives but if it was true, he wished that they would be together on their next ones.

He picked up the box that she gave to him and read the note that was stuck to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to give you something that I made myself but I’m such a failure at DIY crafts so I decided to make something simpler and age appropriate.

I may be short but I still am a woman over 20. Eat it well.

 

~Yun Hee

P.S

Don’t share!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He laughed at the last part. Yunhee is probably the most selfless person he had ever met but the note is saying otherwise.

“Alright I won’t – since you made it”