we were made to break

i am fire (you are gasoline)

 

Two figures emerged from the stairs, almost tripping as they made their way through the narrow hallway of the second floor.

“Wait,” the boy said, pushing the girl slightly.

“I can’t wait now, pretty boy,” the girl said, pushing the boy back and eventually pinning him to the wall before she kissed the boy expertly.

The boy groaned as the girl pressed their body together. They only break the kiss when oxygen’s become a necessity.

“You are so hot,” the girl said with a sly smile.

“Uh, thanks, I guess?” the boy replied hesitantly. Before he could think of a compliment for that girl, he was being kissed once again.

 

“Sehun? I heard you were—“ another girl emerged from the stairs. She looked at the scene before her. “here.”

“Sun Ji?” Sehun muttered under his breath. Oh .

“Sun Ji? You know her?” The girl asked before looking judgingly at the Sunji. “If you know her, can you tell her to come back later?”

“Huh?” Sehun stupidly answered. His mind is on haywire. He is already working on what excuse to tell Sunji but he couldn’t think of anything. He couldn’t even speak as his heart beats wildly inside his chest.

“Oh,” Sunji finally spoke. “It’s okay. I’m sorry, I disturbed both of you.” Sunji observed Sehun’s hands on the girl’s waist and she looked at Sehun. “Seems like you guys are having fun.”

“Yes. I’m glad you understand that.”

Sehun looked at the girl in his arms in panic. He couldn’t move. His eyes went back to Sunji and he pleads through his eyes. But Sunji’s eyes were cold and stoic.

“I’ll leave you then. Have fun.”

It took Sehun another 10 seconds to realize everything that’s happened. He quickly let go of the girl in front of him.

“This is so wrong,” he muttered.

“What? What do you mean?” the girl asked in confusion.

“This should have never happened. Please forget about this.” Sehun said before he darted towards the stairs.

Sehun made his way through the crowd in the living room. A song by some boy band blasting loudly through the speakers. He looked around for any sign of Sunji, but he couldn’t see her through the density of people around him. Sehun frantically searched for his phone in his pocket and dialed Sunji’s number. He panicked more when he realized that Sunji turned her phone off. Sehun found Tao at the corner of the living room, he was talking to some random girl. Sehun tugged him by the elbow.

“Hey! What was that for?” Tao asked, slightly irritated. “I was talking with that hot chick over there if you didn’t notice.”

Sehun clicked his tongue in annoyance. “Did you see Sunji?”

“Sunji? Wait. She’s here? Where?” Tao looked around. “I thought you said she couldn’t come.”

Sehun breathed heavily. “I thought so too! But she’s here. She was here. I don’t know.”

“Wait, dude, what happened?” Tao asked concernedly.

“I’ll tell you tomorrow. I need to find Sunji right now.” Sehun said but he was already making his way to the front door of Tao’s house.

When he was outside, he frenetically looked around for Sunji. He headed towards the direction of the train station; surely he’d find Sunji along the way. Sehun sprinted through the sidewalks. It was already around 11pm, the road was clear. If Sunji’s anywhere near, he’d surely see her. He made a turn around a block, that’s when he saw a lone figure walking briskly. Sehun didn’t have to look twice to know it was Sunji.

“Sunji!” He shouted instinctively.

Sunji stopped in her track for a moment, before she proceeded to walk faster.

“Sunji! Wait!” Sehun shouted once again, running fast to catch up with Sunji.

“Sunji,” Sehun panted as he finally caught up, reaching for Sunji’s hand to stop her. “Please…”

“Let go,” Sunji said quietly.

“No. Listen to me. I can explain.” Sehun pleads. He doesn’t know how he’d explain but everything. He doesn’t want to let go of Sunji.

“You can explain?” Sunji tugged her hand away and faced Sehun. “You can explain?! So did just accidentally landed on yours? Is that it?”

Sehun couldn’t answer that. Because, really, how can he explain that? They were making out, it was so obvious to anyone who would see them.

“I’m sorry.” Sehun said. “I’m so sorry, Sunji. I didn’t mean to. Please, believe me.”

Sunji breathed in. “ you. you.” Sunji turned around and began to walk away but Sehun caught her arm again.

“Don’t go. Please. Don’t do this.”

“You should have thought of that when you were shoving your tongue down .” Sun Ji said coldly.

“I didn’t mean to. Sunji, please. Please.” Sehun begged.

“Why, Sehun? Why? why? Why would you do this to me?” Sunji almost sobbed, but she held it in. She can’t cry. Not now.

“I’m so sorry. I don’t know what gotten into me. I really didn’t mean to, Sunji.”

“You don’t know? Let me answer that for you. It’s because she’s hot, isn’t it? Big s, wonderful fashion sense, beautiful face. That’s it, right?”

Sehun opened his mouth to speak. To tell Sunji that it wasn’t the case, but he couldn’t say it out loud. Maybe because she was right? Was he like other guys after all?

“I ing hate you. You know what I thought of when I saw you two there practically each other’s face? I thought that of course you would like that girl. She’s hot. Not like me. She knows how to carry herself with that crop top and miniskirt. But look at me; I’m wearing a ing oversized hoodie. I thought that while this girl wears cute and y clothes, I can only wear a ing hoodie and jeans for a party.” Sunji said through gritted teeth.

“No, babe, please don’t think that way.” Sehun took a step forward. He had the urge of embracing Sunji but Sunji backed away.

“Don’t you dare come near me. Or I swear I’ll cut your nonexistent balls.”

Sehun stopped in his track.

“I hate you. God, I hate you so much, Sehun. I never want to talk to you again. We’re over.”

And with that, Sunji left. Sehun could only watch Sunji’s retreating back as he reflect on his mistake. He could only watch Sunji’s retreating back as her last words echoed in his head. We’re over.

He ed up. He ed up bigtime.

 

 

 

 

“Dude, you are so screwed.” Tao commented as they sat in the cafeteria.

“Shut up. It’s your fault.”

“WHAT? How come it’s my fault when you were the one who did the frick frack.” Tao managed to not roll his eyes at Sehun.

“It’s your fault! You should have never invited me to that party.” Sehun sighed. He couldn’t even find the energy to fight now. “And we did not frick frack.”

“Whatever. You are still screwed.”

“Tao, you’re not helping Sehun.” Jongin said. “But dude, was the girl really that hot?” Jongin snickered.

“Oh god. Please, please stop it. Don’t remind me, okay? I wish it never happened.” Sehun groaned in his seat. He dropped his head on the table. It hurt, but physical pain can’t compare to his heartache right now.

“Do you really regret it, Sehun?” Sehun heard Kyungsoo.

“Yes.” He answered, although his voice was muffled. “You all know how much I love Sunji.”

“Well, that’s not what she thinks right now.” Tao commented once again, smiling a little. Although he’s sad about what happened to his friends, he couldn’t help but laugh at his misery.

“God. Shut up, Tao! I’m reflecting okay? I didn’t want to hurt her.”

“But you still did,” Kyungsoo said. “I think you should apologize again.”

Sehun lifted his head. “I did that a million times this morning, but she was avoiding me like the plague. It’s like I didn’t exist, at all.”

 

 

 

“Sunji? Sunji?” Sehun called. Sunji was a few steps ahead of him, but no matter how loud he called, she wouldn’t turn around. He was already getting weird looks from the students they passed by but he did not care.

“Sunji, please talk to me.” He said, loud enough for Sunji. If she heard this, she didn’t give any sign of having so.

Sehun sighed as he ran his right hand through his hair. He should have been used to this, actually. Back when he was asking Sunji to go out with him, he’d been in this exact situation. After he’d confess to Sunji, Sunji wouldn’t even spare him a look. Always muttering how he’s making a joke of her and all. Sehun would frown at this. Because he was/is seriously serious.

Remembering the past made Sehun crack a bitter smile. Well, he’d endured Sunji’s cold treatment once, he can do it twice. Maybe.

 

 

 

“So? How’s it going, lover boy?” Baekhyun sat down beside Sehun. Baekhyun is one of Sehun’s few select friends, but he didn’t have any memory of telling him about his situation.

“Which devil told you?” Sehun asked. Baekhyun smiled. “Wait. No. Don’t tell me. There can be only one devil.”

Baekhyun chuckled (read: giggled but he wouldn’t admit that).

“Tao is a ,” Sehun muttered under his breath.

“Oh wow. Such words from your… mouth.” Baekhyun said slyly, grinning from ear to ear.

Sehun glared at Baekhyun. “Shut. Up.”

“Oh, you do know I have an AP Chem with Sunji,” Baekhyun started, effectively changing the subject and catching Sehun’s interest. “Do you want to know how devastated she looks earlier?”

Sehun gulped. Surely, Sunji’s affected by all of this, right?

Baekhyun smirked, a gesture Sehun had found to hate in Baekhyun because it only means bad news. “She got an A- on our quiz.”

Sehun sighed. Of course, she would get an A. Sunji is the type of girl who would burn the midnight oil as Sehun dies of a fever beside her. What was he expecting, really?

“She’s perfectly fine without me.” Sehun groaned. “I know it was my fault but that’s just cruel. I think I’m going to break.” He clutched his chest and sat back dramatically.

“Well, you never know. Normally she would get an A+, you know. Maybe she’s a little bit concerned about your break up.” Baekhyun said, trying or maybe not on encouraging Sehun.

Okay, so call him shallow, but he really did feel hopeful about that.

“A little bit, Sehun. She forgot to put a label on one of her answers so she was deducted a point. It was almost an A+.” Baekhyun smiled. “But still, you would take what you can get, wouldn’t you?”

Sehun had the urge to stab Baekhyun with a pen right there and then.

 

 

 

Sunji was walking along the school corridor. It was almost time for her assistant duty in the library but she first have to put her books in her locker which is a long way from her last class. She was distracted today. Really distracted.

First, that Chemistry test. She was never that careless before. Second, she almost forgot a vital part in her presentation in Psychology today.  It wasn’t actually that important, Sunji just loved to exaggerate things when it comes to her studies. But that’s not the point, she was still distracted. And it’s all because of a spineless bastard called Oh Sehun.

Sunji was sad of course, like hello, you caught your boyfriend making out with another girl? Of course you’d be sad, but more than that she was angry. Angry at Sehun and at herself. Angry at Sehun because how dare he cheat on her? Angry at herself because maybe it was her fault that Sehun cheated. Thinking about that made her chest feel heavy. She was already mourning that one point in chemistry, now something heavy added.

Finally getting a grip on herself, she looked around. And that’s when she concluded that she’s really distracted. She had missed her locker by a dozen feet. Sehun.

 

 

 

 

“Hey, Sunji!” Someone called her. It was actually becoming so irritating because she had been hearing her name being called out all day. Thanks to a stupid douchebag named Sehun. She looked up from the books she was stacking.

“Chanyeol,” she said, nonchalantly.

“Man, that’s how you greet a friend?” Chanyeol asked, almost sadly.

“What do you want Chanyeol? I’m busy, in case you haven’t noticed that.” Sunji said, without looking away from her work.

“Heard about you and Sehun, what happened?” Chanyeol asked, his voice laced with seriousness.

“Seriously? You’re going to ask me about what happened? I broke up with him. That’s what happened.” Sunji turned and walked away, but Chanyeol trailed behind her.

“Won’t you give the dude another chance?”

“Say another word about that and I’m banning you from the library,” Sunji threatened.

“Yeah, under what grounds?” Chanyeol smiled. “And besides, I don’t really go here. Nothing to lose about that.”

Sunji rolled her eyes.

“Uhm, Sunji-sshi?”

Sunji looked behind her and found the other library assistant, Kim Joonmyun.

“Oh, sunbae?” Sunji said, slightly curious as to why Joonmyun suddenly need her. There wasn’t much of a work in the library right now.

“Ah, are you busy at the moment?” Joonmyun asked, taking notice of Chanyeol behind Sunji.

“Oh, no. Sunbae, this is Chanyeol by the way,” Sunji said, motioning for Chanyeol. “And Chanyeol, this is Kim Joonmyun.”

Both boys bowed at each other.

“I’m sorry, I hope I didn’t interrupt anything important?” Joonmyun asked politely.

“We’re not talking about anything important. In fact, Chanyeol is on his way out. Right, Chanyeol?”

“Huh?” Chanyeol asked nack dumbly. He wasn’t aware he made that statement.

“Right?” Sunji repeated firmly.

“Oh, yeah, right,” Chanyeol awkwardly agreed. “Bye then. Ah, don’t forget about what we’re talking about. Another chance!” Chanyeol grinned before he was out of sight.

“Is he your…” Joonmyun started, looking at the place where Chanyeol disappeared. “Are you sure I didn’t interrupt you guys?” He looked back at Sunji who was already stacking the books back.

“Yep, don’t worry.” Sunji answered. “And he’s not my boyfriend, please. By the way, you are looking for me?”

“Oh, yeah, Ms. Park will leave early so she told us to finish checking the books that came in yesterday,” Joonmyun said, a little distracted.

“That old hag, she’s off again to one of her silly dates,” Sunji groaned as she stood up.

Joonmyun chuckled. “Yeah, you know her.”

“We’d have to finish it quickly then, sunbae. I have a test on Calc tomorrow.”

“Oh, okay. No problem.”