Chapter One: In Three Days

A Lie and a New Life

"You can't do this!"  shouted at my mother. She refused to look at me as she sat at the table with her hands around a cup of cold tea. "It has been nearly a year since dad died. You have to get over it!" I knew that was harsh but right now I really needed her to pull herself together. 
"Esme?" Lucy stepped tentively into the kitchen.
"At least do it for Lucy," I lowered my voice.
"I can't," my mother sounded as if she were going to cry.
"Fine," I picked up Lucy and carried her to our shared room. Once inside I shut the door and blocked it with my desk chair. I couldn't risk having Uncle Matthew come in before I was ready. I pulled out Lucy's bag on wheels and started packing clothes in it. Neither of us had much so fitting all her clothing in the bag was easy. When I was done there was still some space left in hers. "Lucy, pack anything you want to keep into this bag." I slid it over to her and she started pulling things out. As she was doing this I grabbed my duffel bag that I used when I visited gran and dumped all my clothing in it. Along with that I packed my books and what every else I thought I may need. 
"I finished!" Lucy announced, sounding proud of herself. I smiled.
"Stay here. I'll be back." quietly, I slipped out of our room and into the bathroom. Quickly, I grabbed our toiletries and my medications. When I saw how much I had let I swore under my breath. I had only a few tablets of Meclinze left in the bottle. Somehow, I'd have to get more. When I got back to the room I found Aunt Maggie rifling through our wardrobe. "What are you doing here?" I exclaimed.
"Shh..." she hissed and put her finger to her lips, "you don't want to get caught."
"How did you know what I was going to do?" I asked.
"Because it's what I'd do," she continued to dig through the wardrobe.
"Pardon?" her voice was too muffled for my good ear to pick up. My Meniere's had taken most of my hearing from my right ear.
"Sorry," she paused, "I picked up more Meclinze in case you needed it." she pointed to a paper bag on my bed.
"Thank you," I put it in my bag, "what are you looking for?"
"Before I married your Uncle Matt I hid a box behind a loose panel in your room. I thought it'd be safe in here," she made a satisfied sound as she pulled out an old wooden box. She opened it and took out a chunky envelope. "Money. It should last you until you arrive."
"I can't accept this!" I started to hand it back.
"You have to," Aunt Maggie looked at me, her eyes large and desperate.
"I don't understand any of this. Why are you helping me?" I was starting to think there was something else going on.
"I will explain more to you later, for now take this and follow the instructions. I'll meet you in three days," she zipped up my bag and handed it to me. I hugged her tightly before taking Lucy's hand and leading her to the window. I opened it as quietly as I could and help Lucy out of it.
"You will take care. Won't you?" I asked Aunt Maggie before closing the window.
"I will. I promise. See you in three days," she gave me a sad smile. I turned back to Lucy.
"We need to be very quiet. Okay?" I smiled at her the best I could manage.
"Where are we going?" she looked up at me. I didn't really know. Aunt Maggie had left me a small, hand drawn map.
"It's a surprise," I whispered.
"I like surprises!" I squealed.
"Shh... now come on," I held tighly to Lucy's hand and I lead her through the night.