1

Reminiscent

 



 

Hyukjae was staring at his hand, waiting with nervous for any news coming out from the operation room. He lifted his head when he felt someone sitting beside him. Hyukjae’s eyebrows furrowed, eyes showing so much sadness to the person next him.

 

Hyukjae know her. It doesn’t took him long to recognize those perfume scent from the woman, the one he used to smell on Kyuhyun.

 

‘How is he?’ The woman asked, with soft and gentle voice. Voice that enough to makes guy kneeled to her. Alluring and seducing enough to make guy go crazy over her.

 

Hyukjae shook his head. ‘He’s still inside.’  Was Hyukjae answered, enough to make the two hearts torn.

 

Silence engulfed both. No conversation was carried after all; both were too busy occupied with their mind, less caring for the person next to each other. It was Hyukjae who had decided to break the silent.

 

‘I’m sorry.’

 

The words make the other person to look at him, giving him confused look.

 

Hyukjae sighed, tears started to build up on his eyes. ‘I’m sorry. I know I shouldn’t get in the middle, but…’ Hyukjae couldn’t afford to end his speech, bursting into tears. ‘I’m sorry, Ahreum shi. I just love Kyuhyun so much. I couldn’t live without him. I’m very sorry. I shouldn’t get in the marriage between you and Kyuhyun. I shouldn’t….’ Hyukjae said between his tears. ‘I’m sorry for being the most despicable person. I’m very sorry. I truly are.’

 

The woman laughs bitterly. ‘It’s funny, Hyukjae shi. You’re the third person in my marriage, but why does I feel as I am the one who destroying you and Kyuhyun’s life? While the truth is the both of you is the one who did hurt my feeling, destroying my whole world.’ The woman stopped, eyes fixed at the operation room door. ‘I supposed to hate you, to hate Kyuhyun, to despise you both for planting a deep wound in my heart. But why? Why did I have to be the one who feel worst?’ the woman said, successfully brought up more tears on Hyukjae’s eyes. ‘I regret it, Hyukjae shi. I regret letting Kyuhyun help you at that times.’  The woman said, and Hyukjae sobbed more.

 

‘You’re cold?’ Kyuhyun asked to the beautiful lady next to him. The lady nodded her head cutely, making Kyuhyun chuckled and pinched her cheek playfully. The lady yelped at him and pouted when her husband laughed more. Kyuhyun wear off his coat, wearing it to the lady to make her warm. The lady smiled and snuggled closer to her husband. Kyuhyun took her hand and they both walked hand to hand happily, walking down to where Kyuhyun had parked his car, after spending times at the fancy restaurant for their two years anniversary.

 

The lady ran like a little child once she spotted her husband black Audi, racing to be the first person reaching the car. Kyuhyun shook his head at his childish wife. ‘Be careful. Someone might kidnap you for being too cute.’ Kyuhyun playfully said and his wife showed tongue to him playfully. Kyuhyun just smiled, not taking his wife’s action to heart. He knows the beautiful one was only playing.

 

‘Oppa.’ Kyuhyun fastened his steps to his wife, once he heard the beautiful one was calling him in panic. ‘Kyuhyun oppa. Quick.’ The worried voice makes Kyuhyun ran to her, only to engulf her into his hug, possessively and protectively securing his wife into his arms. Kyuhyun looked on the ground where his wife was looking at.

 

‘Oppa.’ The beautiful lady turned to him confusedly. ‘Is he still alive?’ She asked, buried her head onto Kyuhyun’s chest. Kyuhyun pushed the man who was lying on the floor next to his car, covering with blood using his foot. The beautiful lady gasped when she heard groans coming from the almost lifeless body. ‘He still alive, oppa.’ The lady said, making Kyuhyun suddenly alert of his surroundings.

 

‘Ahreum, get inside the car and locked it.’ Kyuhyun said, giving her the key. The beautiful lady named Ahreum hesitantly nodded, took the key from Kyuhyun’s and went to the co-driver seat. She sat inside; locking the car as her husband’s instructed, looking outside worriedly to his husband through the window.

 

Kyuhyun once again kicking the helpless body softly with his foot. He could hear another groans coming from the man. Kyuhyun looked at his car when he heard the sound of the window being opened down.

 

‘Oppa. How is he?’ Ahreum asked worriedly. Kyuhyun shook his head, shrugging. ‘Oppa, let’s bring him to hospital.’ Ahreum suggested, and Kyuhyun shook his head not agreeing with her. ‘Oppa, he is dying.’ Ahreum said.

 

‘What if this is just his plan to rob us? I don’t want anyone hurt you.’ Kyuhyun said.

 

‘Oppa, if you worried about me that much, let me sit at the back. You can put him here, and we can tie him with belt.’ Ahreum said suggesting, but Kyuhyun was still in doubt. ‘Oppa.’ The lady pleaded again.

 

‘You sit at the back.’ Kyuhyun said and Ahreum quickly switch seat to the back. Kyuhyun lifted the lying man, only to put him on the co-driver seat, putting the seatbelt and also extra belts and ties Kyuhyun has inside his car dashboard, an emergency he saved in case he forgot to wear any during his working. Kyuhyun drove to the hospital, following his wife’s request to save this man’s life.

 

‘Hello.’ Ahreum greeted cheerfully, half of her body inside the room, while the other half is still outside. She went inside when she saw her husband smiled at her, motioning her to come closer. ‘How are you feeling?’ She asked as soon as Kyuhyun wrapped his arms into her body.

 

‘Better than yesterday. Thank you for asking.’ The man who was half lying half sitting on the bed said. Ahreum nodded her head; walking away to puts the fruits she brought with her on the drawer provided by the hospital. ‘Erm… my name is Ahreum.’ She said awkwardly.

 

‘I know. The beautiful wife of Kyuhyun shi. Thank you for insisting your husband to bring me to the hospital. I owe you my life. My name is Hyukjae.’ Hyukjae said and smiled, making the beautiful lady smiled to him back.

 

***

 

‘You don’t forget what day is today, right?’ Ahreum asked, pouting at her husband.

 

‘It’s Wednesday. Why?’ Kyuhyun said while adjusting his tie. ‘Is there any special occasion we have to attend?’  

 

Ahreum shook her head in disappointment, helping Kyuhyun in adjusting his tie. Kyuhyun thanked his wife, looking back for his briefcase.

 

‘I will be back late today. Got dinner with client. Don’t wait for me, okay?’ Kyuhyun said and dashing out from the house, completely forgetting his routines of always pecking his wife before went out to office.

 

‘Happy Birthday, Ahreum.’ Ahreum wished to herself, head down looking on the floor, watching drop by drop of her tears meeting the floor.

 

***

 

Ahreum keep on dialing Kyuhyun’s cellphone, it has been two weeks since Kyuhyun’s went back home, leaving her in dark, not knowing what had happened to her husband.

 

A clicked sound of the door making her jumped from her sleep on the couch. ‘Kyuhyun?’ She called the one who looked like a thief coming inside his own house.

 

‘Ahreum, you haven’t slept yet? What time is it now?’ Kyuhyun asked, shocked to find his wife still awake at this hour. Ahreum is a early sleeper, still staying up at this hours wasn’t the usual her.

 

‘I’ve been waiting for you. You didn’t come home for two weeks already. Where have you been?’ Ahreum asked softly, yet worriedly.

 

‘I’m busy.’ Kyuhyun answered and walked to their bedroom. Kyuhyun comes out with two head pillows. ‘I’m taking shower. Go and get sleep.’ He said and brought the pillows inside guest room, leaving Ahreum alone wondering outside. What have she made that makes her husband slowly drifting away?

 

***

 

Two weeks become two months. Kyuhyun had been distancing himself away from his wife, leaving the innocent beautiful lady what had she done for her to deserve this kind of treatment from her husband whom used to showered her with full of love before.

 

Ahreum was on her way to visiting her friend’s shop when all her questions about her husband’s weird behavior being answered. The apples she brought with her for her friend fall down from the plastic, one rolling to Kyuhyun’s leg.

 

Kyuhyun looked around his feet, stopping from kissing his lover tenderly, trailing for the rest of the fruits rolling around the road. Kyuhyun gasped when his eyes trailed to one pair of shoes he recognized, and his heart was beating madly when he saw his wife was the owner. The other person who Kyuhyun was kissing before also gasped, shocked to found the beautiful wife of the man who was kissing him like there will be no tomorrow was standing in front of them.

 

Tears rolled down Ahreum beautiful face, unable to comprehend any words due to shock. All this while, she had been doing her best to ignore the fact that her husband has someone else on her back. But seem likes God wanted her to know the truth. Today, in front of her own eyes, she had witnessed the cheating her husband did with the person she had pleaded him to save. She herself had witnessed how fiery and sensation the kiss between Kyuhyun and Hyukjae before.

 

‘Ahreum…’ Kyuhyun called softly, trying to wake the lady from whatever that has occupied her mind. But it was wrong move, at least wrong for Ahreum, because as Kyuhyun went near her, she could see the love marks at his neck. And that was enough to send Ahreum devastated.

 

Kyuhyun held her hand, wanted to bring her sit on the bench, when Ahreum snapped at him.

 

‘Don’t you dare to touch me.’ She said, glaring at Kyuhyun, then to Hyukjae who was playing with the hem of his shirt, guilty was written all over his face. ‘I couldn’t believe it. Both of you…. Both of you dare to play with my heart.’ She said between her sobs. ‘What have I done wrong, Kyuhyun oppa?’ She asked looking at Kyuhyun with teary eyes. ‘What did me lacking that you have to look for another person?’ She insisted in asking, but Kyuhyun was in feeling guilty for turning out the nicest and bubbly person he ever met inside this mess to even answer her.

 

Seeing no response from her husband, Ahreum went to Hyukjae, taking his hands to her. ‘Why, Hyukjae shi? Why?’ She kept asking but none answer her, both Kyuhyun and Hyukjae were stood still in silent.  

 

‘Two years… two years of marriage was being destroyed easily by you.’ Ahreum said, accusing Hyukjae. ‘Two years, Hyukjae shi. But in a blink of eyes, you come and took away the happiness from me.’ She added, making Hyukjae cried more.

 

Ahreum stared emptily at the crying Hyukjae. She was numb for feeling anymore. The betrayal made by Kyuhyun and Hyukjae had broken her heart to pieces. The bubbly and nice beautiful lady is now incapable of loving.

 

Ahreum took off the wedding ring from her finger, closing her eyes while doing so. She opened her eyes back, staring sadly at the wedding ring which now had no meaning to her, and also Kyuhyun.

 

‘This ring is a ring of happiness. Those who wear it will be blessed with happiness, as long as she with me.’

 

‘Stop it. It’s funny and cheesy, Kyuhyun oppa.’

 

‘I said the truth, Ahreum. You’re the woman I wanted to spend my life with, thus, I gave you the ring my grandmother had given to me to be wear to my lover. It’s a symbol of my greatest love to you.’

 

‘I guess I’m no longer the person you wanted to spend your life with, Kyuhyun oppa.’ Ahreum said, staring at the ring. She then took Hyukjae’s hand, wearing the wedding ring on his finger. Hyukjae was shocked with her action, but he just allowed her to do it.

 

‘This is once was my source of happiness. A sign that Kyuhyun oppa was once loved me. But I no longer have the right to wear it, because he no longer loves me.’ She said and stared at Hyukjae’s finger which now has her wedding ring. ‘You take away my happiness, Hyukjae shi. I forbid you from taking away this wedding ring from your finger as your punishment. A thing to make you remember that the happiness you have been now was based on my sadness.’

 

‘I’m sorry…. I’m sorry…’ Hyukjae said, sobbing and pleading for the beautiful lady forgiveness. But Ahreum said nothing and left. Before Hyukjae could even chase after her; the operation door opened. The doctor and nurses were assisting Kyuhyun to be put into normal ward, his operation was a success. Hyukjae had chosen to followed the doctor and nurses, he needed to know of Kyuhyun’s condition after the small operation of removing glass planted inside his tight, because he had an accident at one of his client place.

 

Hyukjae was not allowed to meet Kyuhyun until he was awake. And Hyukjae’s luck, its only took an hour for Kyuhyun to be woken up from his anesthetic. Hyukjae quietly entered the room after given the permission by the staff nurse. 

 

Hyukjae smiled at the now awake man, slowly walking to him. Kyuhyun smiled back, but soon faded as soon as he saw the ring on Hyukjae’s finger.

 

‘If that so, I will never wear it off, unless death has coming to see me.’ 

 



 

I think this bit different from my other stories, right? Enjoy reading, everyone~