i. Dream

Of Moonlight and Memories

Beads of sweat rains down her forehead to her chin and neck. Her body is flinching vigourously as her arms flail about to reach or grab a certain something or someone. Her lips tremble to call out the said person yet she struggles to remember the name. Her body shoots up, her eyes pop open and she finally screams, "Kyungsoo!"

She looks around and realises that she is in her room, alone. She calms herself down, reverting her breathing back to normal as she mumbles, "Just another dream," sighing as she pulls her covers to wrap around her body.

She has been having dreams quite a lot recently and in each single one, he is in it. Some just made no sense at all, he'd stand in front of her but his movements are restricted due to the strings tied on his body, like a puppet but there was no puppeteer. Some are recurring, just like the one that had just occur, the both of them are stuck in a maze and he is running while she tries to chase him down and as they reach at the middle, she can't seem to touch him as if an invisible wall separates them.

Hayul turns her head to look at her bedside table and looks at the digital alarm clock on top of it. The display shining big, red digits of three, zero and five. Her shoulders drop, she sighs in despair as her hands covers up her face. She starts crying again, thrashing the bed as her cries comes out as muffled sobs.

- - - - - -

Kyungsoo wakes up as his phone buzzes and vibrates under his pillow. He groans as he tries to snooze it, he gets up but his eyes are still closed. He slowly opens them and quickly brings his hand up to his eyes, covering them for the rays of sunshine that are blinding in his room.

He then hops off his bed as he walks towards the kitchen, for some reason he felt awfully tired and his eyes felt puffy. He makes himself a cup of coffee and maybe, like yesterday, a burnt toast.

Kyungsoo brings his mug with him and takes a sit on his couch, he places the mug on his coffee table. He looks around, his house was everything but happy, joyful or bright. He exhales a low sigh, "I hope you're fine."

Kyungsoo takes the mug filled with the dark, bitter liquid and takes a sip. As he places it back down, a soft jingle of a bell sends his brow raised up. He gets up and heads to the door, greeting the mailman.

The latter asks, "Mr. Do?"

Kyungsoo nods his head, the young mailman passes him a purple envelope. Kyungsoo looks at it with utter confusion but it really was for him. His house address was there and his name too, not a single mistake. He thanks the mailman before closing his door and making his way back to his couch.

Kyungsoo looks at the handwriting, hoping that he knows who the sender is but to no avail, it does not look familiar and nobody close to him knows his whereabouts. Carefully opening the envelope, he is greeted with a piece of purple coloured paper and the cursive writing sends him struggling to read.

To Kyungsoo, who may concern.

I know you are trying to figure out who I am but don't. My identity does not matter, it took me long enough to find where you were or how you were. Everyone was worried sick and I know you mean no harm in your absence and I know you mean well but not all of us could succumb to the pain.

Kyungsoo blinks, he is unsure what this letter is about but he is really intrigued to find out who the sender is.

Yes, I am talking about Hayul. Your Hayul. That Son Hayul. I know you love her and you know she loves you, I know you are well and I know you are faking everything but stop. The both of you are hurting and trust me, Hayul doesn't look any better. She looks worse, worse than before, Soo. Why can't you just consider her feelings? Why must you be so selfish? What is so wrong? You want to know what she said about you? She said you're like a moonlight. You shine her dark days but you don't understand that she needs you even when it's sunny outside. Quit all this, not for you, not for me but for Hayul.

If you truly care and love her, you wouldn't be so selfish.

Kyungsoo looks at the initials at the right corner on the bottom of the letter, J.D. He places back the letter in the envelope and puts it aside. He feels sick, not the nauseous type but the guilty type. Where it stings and he feels bad, real bad and he doesn't know how to fix it.

- - - - - -

Hayul cries in his embrace, "He... He appeared again."

Jongdae rubs her sides, "Hey, hey. Maybe he is coming back, just have faith."

She wipes her tear stained face and looks at Jongdae, "You don't understand. I looked for him everywhere, I asked everyone that we both know, I even went to his familyㅡ"

Jongdae cuts, "You went to his family? Yul, you know they don't like you. Howㅡ"

Hayul sobs, "I know, I know but I just had to. I... He... I just want him alive and well. I don't care if he doesn't remember me or anything but I just want to know he is well, Jongdae. I don't want to see him hurt like I am."

Jongdae sighs looking at the petite figure in front of him, she looks like a wreck with her hair out of place and her dark circles under her red, puffy eyes. Her frame looks thinner than ever and the last time he saw her was just two days ago.

Hayul asks, "Don't you know where he is?" Her eyes glistening, Jongdae isn't sure whether it was just her tears or her glimmer of hope.

Jongdae only offers her a shrug, "Sorry, Yul. If I knew I would have brought you to meet him or the other way around."

Her shoulders drop weakly, a low moan escapes her lips. She is tired, exhausted, sleep-deprived and all of the above, and all she thinks is about the man of moonlight and memories.